• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has amiibo gone too far? (Twilight Princess HD)

You act like Nintendo is giving us some outstanding value here. The reality is it's a money-making scheme. It's a way of getting us to pay a lot more than we normally would for trivial DLC, and at the same time to sell us a bunch of undoubtedly very high-margin toys.

Makes good business sense, but so do most of the "innovative" monetization schemes we've seen lately. I maintain that we'd be screaming bloody murder if a less-respected publisher tried this exact same scheme.

People have paid for trivial DLC for years, all the complaining about DLC and digital revenue continues to increase each year. All I'm saying is i'd rather pay 12.99 once and get whatever comes my way with it than constantly pay everytime something comes out. And because its physical you can always resell the figure and get some of your money back. Also if all the DLC is so trivial then it shouldn't be an issue right? This thread wouldn't exist if people believed that everything Amiibo offered was "trivial." FYI I still have yet to buy an Amiibo and I hate a majority of DLC as much as the next guy but as you said the stuff Amiibo unlock are trivial at best which is why I dont see them as much of a problem.

Oversoul

Banned
The problem is, Zelda remakes or ports used to give you extra content for FREE.

No it's locked behind a paywall, made more expensive by adding a figurine.

Oh alright then, no more difficulty modes in games, let's just tie our hands behind our backs. cos it's exactly the same thing.

I'm happy to concede I only care about the 2 amiibo.

As for overexaggerating, you just tried to deny the existence of the 4x difficulty mode (or you didn't know about it).

I dont deny the 4x Damage. I know it exists. I just dont see it being much of an issue. Most people here complaining about Ganondorf Amiibo are complaining because they cant get their Hero Mode without the mirrored world. But is having 4x the damage really something to get all worked up over? It doesnt stop you from playing the game, it doesnt stop you from completing the game, and for those that do want a higher difficulty they included Hero Mode just like they did for OoT 3D, Skyward Sword, and Windwaker HD. Why aren't people complaining that theres no 4x Damage on those games? Majoras Mask 3D didnt even get a Hero Mode at all. Windwaker HD was before Amiibo and other than some QoL changes there was no new content added, nobody complained. TPHD is getting the same exact treatment as WWHD but now that Amiibo are available people are up in arms at Nintendo trying to give people a reason to buy Amiibo by rewarding them with minor extra content. If Amiibo didn't exist and TPHD simply got QoL changes and Hero Mode like WWHD did nobody would be complaining right now.

OoT 3D - Master Quest(AKA Hero Mode) Included
MM 3D - No Hero Mode/Master Quest only Additional Content is Fishing Pond
Windwaker HD - Hero Mode Included
TP HD - Hero Mode Included

TP HD is giving exactly what every other Zelda Remake/Remaster has given for free.

No I wouldn't be happy. Day one DLC on a £40 port of a 10 year old game for a difficulty setting, give me a break.
Samn, is like you are not reading what im typing XD

From the not been happy comment, your complain has more to do with the state of DLC's in general and in the cuarrent state of affairs your stance seems donwright naive. Things will only get worse.

i taught that your main concern was to actually need to own a physical object that you don't have desire for. And in that case my propesed solution would fix your problem.

You already touched upon this I think. The fact that this extra content might be sold out, out of print, etc. is what bothers me. I don't like DLC in general but I would appreciate it if we weren't limited to amiibos for that.

It sucks cause I think Amiibos DO have the capability to provide unique additions to the game without being "DLC". Their greatest strength is that a single amiibo can work on multiple games so it would have been awesome if somehow you can link these games up with the toys. That would have been very interesting.

i adressed that in response to Samn. Nintendo just need to offer the same content digitally. In this way people that are into figure collecting can enjoy some extra benefits and the people who don't can still enjoy every aspect of the game.

If Nintendo wants to protect Amiibo's sales even more, then they could give a "grace" period in which the DLC is available first to Amiibo owners. Then after that it becomes available to purchase to anyone.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Four Swords, part of the aLttP GBA port, required you to know three other aLttP GBA game link adapter owning friends to get a chance to play the new dungeon.

Zelda DX's new content was designed around making you upgrade your hardware (Colour Dungeon) and buying additional hardware (GB Printer).

Oversoul

Banned
I dont deny the 4x Damage. I know it exists. I just dont see it being much of an issue. Most people here complaining about Ganondorf Amiibo are complaining because they cant get their Hero Mode without the mirrored world. But is having 4x the damage really something to get all worked up over? It doesnt stop you from playing the game, it doesnt stop you from completing the game, and for those that do want a higher difficulty they included Hero Mode just like they did for OoT 3D, Skyward Sword, and Windwaker HD. Why aren't people complaining that theres no 4x Damage on those games? Majoras Mask 3D didnt even get a Hero Mode at all. Windwaker HD was before Amiibo and other than some QoL changes there was no new content added, nobody complained. TPHD is getting the same exact treatment as WWHD but now that Amiibo are available people are up in arms at Nintendo trying to give people a reason to buy Amiibo by rewarding them with minor extra content. If Amiibo didn't exist and TPHD simply got QoL changes and Hero Mode like WWHD did nobody would be complaining right now.

OoT 3D - Master Quest(AKA Hero Mode) Included
MM 3D - No Hero Mode/Master Quest only Additional Content is Fishing Pond
Windwaker HD - Hero Mode Included
TP HD - Hero Mode Included

TP HD is giving exactly what every other Zelda Remake/Remaster has given for free.

Links Awakening DX had the extra Colour Dungeon.

Link to the Past GBA had a four swords dungeon in singleplayer (and extra four swords multiplayer mode)

Oot 3D had boss gauntlet.

Yes, you can argue that 2 of those are 2d and easier to program for, but the point still stands.

If they pull this shit on the inevitable Phantom Hourglass port...

andthebeatgoeson

How is that worse than having your entire roster needing a plastic toy to use?

Could you imagine if, say you want to play Super Smash Bros for Wii U, you'd need the amiibo of the character you want to play it? But Nintendo isn't doing that, Activision is.

Using Activision as an example of a company doing the right thing. This is why I stay away from Zelda threads.

samn

Samn, is like you are not reading what im typing XD

From the not been happy comment, your complain has more to do with the state of DLC's in general and in the cuarrent state of affairs your stance seems donwright naive. Things will only get worse.

i taught that your main concern was to actually need to own a physical object that you don't have desire for. And in that case my propesed solution would fix your problem.

Oh sorry, you're right it's certainly one of my concerns.

From my perspective WWHD was also a mediocre value. TPHD is similarly mediocre but with the kick in the teeth of minor features I might quite enjoy locked behind DLC.

MM3D was a major reworking of many aspects of graphics and gameplay, making it a good value in my eyes.

The whole Amiibo practice is annoying at worst. I've utilized Amiibo a good amount and feel it added a bit to my game experiences but nothing remarkable. Looks to be the same with this game. They have to push Amiibo as they struck gold with the concept. I see it being good business for quite a bit longer. Now if Zelda for Wii U lets you get a higher stat horse, my shit might hit the fan.

Oversoul

Banned
Four Swords, part of the aLttP GBA port, required you to know three other aLttP GBA game link adapter owning friends to get a chance to play the new dungeon.

Zelda DX's new content was designed around making you upgrade your hardware (Colour Dungeon) and buying additional hardware (GB Printer).

Zelda DX was only playable on GBC. Going by that logic, you need to upgrade for TP HD as well.

The other is a condition, but still costs no money.

Links Awakening DX had the extra Colour Dungeon.

Link to the Past GBA had a four swords dungeon in singleplayer (and extra four swords multiplayer mode)

Oot 3D had boss gauntlet.

Yes, you can argue that 2 of those are 2d and easier to program for, but the point still stands.

If they pull this shit on the inevitable Phantom Hourglass port...

Read the post right above yours, even for the GBA games they required some external factor to get your content. And yeah I forgot about Boss Gauntlet, but aside from that your still getting everything a normal Zelda Remake/Port gives you.

Zelda DX was only playable on GBC. Going by that logic, you need to upgrade for TP HD as well.

Zelda DX was playable on the original gameboy as well.

TheRook

I don't see the issue...

Most of my friends who planned on picking this up already have the Zelda themed Amiibo's already....I thought it would be a given that they would have Amiibo support with this title...I mean Hyrule Warriors did.

Granted, I understand peoples concerns with having to buy something they don't want to, in order to obtain content they want but...at the end of the day...all the amiibo content is "Extra" Content...so basically it's stuff that you didn't know existed until recently so unless you really didn't have any intention in getting this game...what little bonus you get from scanning a amiibo shouldn't really affect your decision on getting this game.

I personally think it's cool that Amiibo's actually have "value" outside of them being collectible NFC toys. A figure that works for multiple games is cool, and it makes owning one more rewarding as time goes on. my two cents.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
People have paid for trivial DLC for years, all the complaining about DLC and digital revenue continues to increase each year. All I'm saying is i'd rather pay 12.99 once and get whatever comes my way with it than constantly pay everytime something comes out. And because its physical you can always resell the figure and get some of your money back. Also if all the DLC is so trivial then it shouldn't be an issue right? This thread wouldn't exist if people believed that everything Amiibo offered was "trivial." FYI I still have yet to buy an Amiibo and I hate a majority of DLC as much as the next guy but as you said the stuff Amiibo unlock are trivial at best which is why I dont see them as much of a problem.

It's sad. The should be using Amiibo to do something that couldn't be done any other way. Simply using them to unlock on-disc DLC is the most trivial, unimaginative way of using this technology.

Skylanders and Disney Infinity both already did it better. They're portable toys with write-able memory. They should be doing something interesting with it. Just using them to unlock stuff on the disc is lame both for those who bought Amiibo and for those who have no desire to buy them.

It's sad. The should be using Amiibo to do something that couldn't be done any other way. Simply using them to unlock on-disc DLC is the most trivial, unimaginative way of using this technology.

Skylanders and Disney Infinity both already did it better. They're portable toys with write-able memory. They should be doing something interesting with it. Just using them to unlock stuff on the disc is lame both for those who bought Amiibo and for those who have no desire to buy them.

I'm still betting on them jumping on the Skylanders/DI/Lego Toys-to-life train with a full blown Amiibo game. Honestly I feel like the NX is gonna have one during its launch period.

The Boat

I don't see any issue here. The extra damage Ganondorf activates wouldn't be there otherwise and the new cave is basically a gauntlet with the wolf it's not like it's an actual dungeon. This is the thing with amiibo, you either make something worthwhile for those who have them or you make something completely useless, it's a balancing act.

Rich!

The hell? Wrong. I got Zelda DX two years before I owned a color and played it exclusively on my pocket and SGB.

gfs_50331_1_10.jpg

Oversoul

Banned
Read the post right above yours, even for the GBA games they required some external factor to get your content. And yeah I forgot about Boss Gauntlet, but aside from that your still getting everything a normal Zelda Remake/Port gives you.

Cave of Shadows is essentially a gauntlet though, and now you have to pay $12.99 for it instead of you know, nothing.

Seriously how can people defend this. I am a huge Zelda fan and Nintendo nut, but....Come on.

Cave of Shadows is essentially a gauntlet though, and now you have to pay $12.99 for it instead of you know, nothing.

Seriously how can people defend this. I am a huge Zelda fan and Nintendo nut, but....Come on.

A gauntlet run is already available in game. Cave of Shadows is literally the Cave of Ordeals only playable in Wolf Form. The only difference is you get 10 less levels and instead of Fairy Tears you get a 9999 Rupee Wallet for a game that doesn't have any uses for rupees. Cave of Shadows have their monsters tailor made for Wolf Link but its an experience that can easily be replicated with Cave of Ordeals.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What I don't understand is, if the Link and Toon Link Amiibo do the same thing, why can't I use my Captain Falcon amiibo with TPHD?

Oversoul

Banned
A gauntlet run is already available in game. Cave of Shadows is literally the Cave of Ordeals only playable in Wolf Form. The only difference is instead of Fairy Tears you get a 9999 Rupee Wallet for a game that doesn't have any uses for rupees. If you want Cave of Shadows just play Cave of Ordeals with only Wolf Link.

So no reason for it to cost $12.99 then.

I mean I don't care about the content, but the way it's "distributed" is scummy.

But hey, I can see why Nintendo does it: looking at this thread, it obviously works.

So no reason for it to cost $12.99 then.

I mean I don't care about the content, but the way it's "distributed" is scummy.

But hey, I can see why Nintendo does it: looking at this thread, it obviously works.

The Amiibo is included with all first print runs is it not? And they already said its compatible with Zelda U so you already know you'll be getting more content out of it eventually. Like I said that 12.99 is not just for a one time use, its for all future content that ever becomes available for it. The only reason I'm getting the Wolf Link Amiibo is because it comes with the game and Zelda is a game I'd gladly pay 60$(well 48$ thanks to GCU) even if it is a remake.

Costia

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that it's 13$ instead of nothing. Mario cart has paid DLC that cost ~8$ each. Hyrule warriors sells characters for 8$ each. SSB has DLC characters for ~6$ each.You might as well claim that these DLC's should have been free as well.
People defend this because its just like any other paid DLC (or collector edition exclusive content) by any other gaming company ever.
Edit: I guess people expect nintendo to be more kid friendly, and not to use the same tactics as other publishers.

Tevious

Nintendo should offer the same Amiibo incentives digitally then at a reduced price. i think that way everyone would be happy. Would you?

The Twilight Cave thing would be fine, but kinda lame as Day 1 DLC that could have just as easily been an incentive just to buy the HD version of the game. Charging money for the other amiibo features is lunacy. I would NOT be happy being charged anything to get the x2 damage multiplier from the Ganondorf amiibo. Yes, we know that Hero Mode has the x2 damage too, but they stack together for x4 damage and Hero Mode is forced in the mirrored world.

What would make me happy:

1. Make the Mirrored World an additional setting not tied to difficulty.
2. Bump Hero Mode up to x4 damage (keep no hearts), offer a Normal Mode for x2 damage and half the rate of heart spawns, and offer an Easy Mode that plays as the original game's difficulty. Ganondorf can either keep it's x2 multiplier then (x6 damage in hero mode!) or do something else entirely.
3. Add a skip intro feature to the game so the game starts with the attack at the pond. (Seriously Nintendo, why the fuck wasn't something like this added?)

Honestly if theres only one thing I'm miffed about TPHD not including with it, its an HD remaster of Links Crossbow Training. It'd work wonderfully with the gamepad and I sunk hours into that thing always trying to get a better score.

RPGCrazied

Doesn't bother me. I actually like collecting the figures. Its nice to see them do something than just sit on your shelf.

Those features are all fluff so I really don't care.

Seriously.

I'll get the amiibo bundle but likely won't even bother with the wolf link dungeon. They can keep making as many amiibos as they want as long as the rewards they give are as tertiary as the wolf-cave-of-ordeals-that-absolutely-won't-be-any-fun-because-the-original-was-bad-too .

If the wolf amiibo is just one of those cave of ordeals things, then I'd happily not get it. If I got it, I might be compelled to do it and those things are always terrible. I hope this doesn't start a trend of Nintendo locking actual good stuff behind amiibos because there's no way in hell I'd ever buy one anyway.

Mexen

Whole games will be amiibo locked in the future. Lol.

The idea of locking content via amiibo is appealing to the collector inside of me. It is like acquiring the amiibo is a game or event itself!
Super Rare Amiibo FTW!

Yes, I am being mildly sarcastic.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Honestly if theres only one thing I'm miffed about TPHD not including with it, its an HD remaster of Links Crossbow Training. It'd work wonderfully with the gamepad and I sunk hours into that thing always trying to get a better score.

We now have a new issue to discuss. Forget the amiibos, this is a crime.

That cave is significant content now? Seriously? And a cheap two-times-the-damage difficulty mode.

Do you really feel you're missing out if you don't get those?

If this was EA or Activision, there'd be universal outrage.

These are the second most obnoxious types of shitposts right next to "Treehouse localizations are all dank meme-fests" in nintendo threads.

I wouldn't be more annoyed at EA locking some throwaway "extra content" behind a plasticfigure than at the micro- and macro-transactions they shove into every single game they release.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They haven't confirmed whether the Wolf Link Amiibo acts as a regular Link Amiibo in other titles (like the 30th Anniversary Mario is seen as just a regular Mario in games outside Mario Maker), at least according to the compatibility chart, so there is also the chance that for those who don't own a regular Link Amiibo the value of this Amiibo will also include the benefits of that.

Tevious

This is what Nintendo should do for DLC or just a free incentive for buying TP HD.

This is only the beginning. They're going to continue adding more and more "incentives" now that they know their fanbase will continue to eat them up.

StereoVsn

I don't see why Nintendo couldn't just throw these extras up as like DLC on the shop. So stupid to only lock content behind plastic toys.
Yeah, this is annoying. Another annoying thing is that in US you can only get physical version of Twilight HD with the Amiibo.

I really dont need plastic toys laying around. I guess I can give it to my kids to just play with once I scan it but it's just a dumb situation.

They should just make optional DLCs as alternative for those of us who really don't want to buy figurines.

You act like Nintendo is giving us some outstanding value here. The reality is it's a money-making scheme. It's a way of getting us to pay a lot more than we normally would for trivial DLC, and at the same time to sell us a bunch of undoubtedly very high-margin toys.

Makes good business sense, but so do most of the "innovative" monetization schemes we've seen lately. I maintain that we'd be screaming bloody murder if a less-respected publisher tried this exact same scheme.

On the other hand, official Nintendo merchandise like this used to be pretty rare. That's less true now that we have a slowly increasing supply of action figures and whatever, but five years ago? Ten years ago? Completely unheard of.

Meanwhile, Ubisoft, WB, Activision, etc. ship just about every single one of their games with hats and statues and busts and batarangs, and have been doing so for going on a decade now. You could dedicate a whole entire bookcase to the special edition shit they've shipped with Assassin's Creed over the years.

In that regard, at least Amiibos do something in the game itself. It's not any kind of dramatic or incredible thing, but they don't have to just sit on a shelf somewhere.

And on the other end of that spectrum, neither do I feel like I am missing out on not getting the related Amiibos for games like Splatoon, etc. For the most part, these are 100% feature-complete games and it doesn't feel like they intentionally chopped content out and are gating it behind toy purchases.

This is absolutely the case with Twilight Princess, which is a finished, complete game where the Amiibos activate a single throw-away extra. Ooh, you'll get a whole extra fifteen minutes of content! Why, gosh, that's a whole 0.6% of the entire length of Twilight Princess! And your reward is
an expanded wallet, in a game where money is basically worthless!
Wowee!

You are not less of a person for buying the standard edition of these games, and you aren't getting a ton of extra cool stuff for buying the special editions. Regardless of any of this, you are the one responsible for putting value to this stuff.

And to me: Who gives a shit?

Nosgotham

when one figure unlocks content in numerous games, it actually becomes the cheapest and most versatile dlc. stop looking at the figure as dlc for just one game. its not.

I'm fine with it. Though it would be nice to give consumers an alternative choice of another way to unlock the meaningful extra content, especially for those buying digitally or who have trouble getting hold of the amiibos for whatever reason.

Didn't Miyamoto last year imply that they were considering making trading cards with the amiibo NFC data in them for then-rare ones like Marth and Rosalina? Would that be a decent compromise if priced favourably?

Top Bottom