• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Neogaf ever met a celebrity? Tell your stories here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undeux

ElectricBlue187 said:
met the drummer from Hootie and the Blowfish in an airport back when they were famous.
Yeah, those were five days none of us will ever forget.

I've met Tom Waits, Jimmy Carter, a ton of bands and musicians and Lucianno Pavarotti (totally mispelled that) babysat me once. There are more, but I can't think of em.

Oh yea, met Laila Ali back in the day when working at Coffee Bean. Started talking with her and told her I was a huge fan of her dad's. She goes "yea yea" so I pull out te photo I use to carry in my wallet of Muhammed and I when I met him. She then was like "wow! You are a fan" lol.

Oh yea! My first cousins grandpa was Friz Freiling, the creator of Pink Panthur, Tweetie, Bugs, etc.

Oozer3993

nskinnear said:
I used to go to the Baltimore Ravens' training camp and watch them practice. I met a bunch of people up there - Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Jonathon Ogden, and some other players.

I went to high school with Haruki Nakamura, one of their backup safeties. We were on the same football team in gym class freshmen year. He broke his leg on the first play against the Browns here in Cleveland, his hometown, earlier this year :(

P.S. Great av.

ijm72

I work at ESPN Zone Chicago so I get to see a lot of athletes that come through there. The most famous ones that I have met would be Dwyane wade, Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Marion, Andre Iguodala, and also Michael Wilbon. I have also met a bunch of Bears, Cubs, Sox players that randomly stop by. Jay Mariotti films around the horn there every weekday so I have seen him a bunch of times.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I met Reese Dary in Tottenham Court Road in London took a picture of him & me and then went on my way to work, he was a Nice guy man.

also saw Matt Berry "The IT Crowd" on my way to work

oh and Dot Cotton (Eastenders) smoking a Ciggie out side a theatre (she was in calendar girls at the Time)

also walked pass the same place and saw Dame Judi Dench coming out the Theatre

and I saw Nikki Sixx walking around london

saw Paul Weller in HMV oxford Street

at a Marilyn Manson Concert stood next to Gary Numan and Saffron from Republica, apparantly my mates said she was eying me up, probably freaked her out.

walked past Rody Womble (Idlewild) at a gig and ages ago at goldsmiths college had Chris Martin sit on the Table opposite eating some food.. (felt like throwing a Chip at him:lol )

Phil Alexander (Ex Kerrang! Magazine Editor) at Gig once saw him in the loo but waited til he got out to chat to him

Oh Met Dave Wyndorf, at an outback steakhouse in NJ ages ago never had anything for him to write on so got him to sign a dollar bill in florescent pen

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gary Whitta said:
I once called Sean Connery a cunt to his face, in retrospect I kinda regret it.
You now have to write up a movie starring him.
ezekial45 said:
I got you beat. Gary Whitta said i made the emoest thread he's ever read.
I got you both beat, his FIRST MOVIE, HAS MY NAME IN IT. ~winner of 1 internets
Can I get something of Book of Eli signed, by you Gary? :(
sprsk said:
My little brother in law is one of the hottest comedians in Japan right now.
Got a youtube vid or something, by chance?

I haven't met any real big name celebrities, but I've had more than enough awkward moments where I'll be somewhere and be looking around and someone will give me an appreciative nod or smile and I'll return it. So either they thought I was a celebrity or they think I saw them first and they were a celebrity I didn't recognize. I may be the only human to have experienced this, several times.

Went to two Star Wars conventions, saw/met the following:

George Lucas, Hayden Christensen, Carrie Fisher (from afar, the mob was horrendous), personally met Jake Lloyd (nicest dude ever, stop giving him shit!), Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, Warwick Davis (which was like meeting 12 different movie characters at the same time ranging from Wicket and Willow to Professor Flitwick and the Leprechaun), John Knoll who is pretty much the ILM Jesus and supervised the sfx for Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible, Star Wars prequels, etc., tons of supporting cast people, got a picture/autograph with Amy Allen who used to work at ILM and went on to "play" Aayla Secura, the Twi'lek Jedi who gets shot up during the Jedi purge, Nick Gillard who coreographed all the lightsaber duels in the prequels, the list goes on but those are the most noteworthy ones.

The list goes on. But that stuff was memorable. Also I SWEAR I saw Alfonso Cuaron at a Mexican restaurant here, but I live in a pretty un-celeb place so while I have my doubts... I dunno I mean if it wasn't him then he has a twin. Also live about 15 minutes from George Clooney's hometown but I've never seen him. Shame. :lol

Red Scarlet

I've met the wrestlers Sting and Diamond Dallas Page..didn't know DDP was a wrestler.

Never met him (played with his dogs though), but I live a few houses away from Wilford Brimley.

Schrade

Gary Whitta said:
I once called Sean Connery a cunt to his face, in retrospect I kinda regret it.
Ouch. Why'd you call him that?

I actually work with his stepson. (Stepson is my CEO)

We have a Sean Connery director's chair thingy that was used on a movie set for Sean.

Ryu1999

We met Carla Gugino at some Mexican Brunch place in NY. I didn't think it was her, but my friend went up to her and asked her to confirm.

According to my parents, I briefly played soccer with Rod Stewart in a park when I was a kid, although I don't remember it.

Robin Williams walked in on me in a bathroom a few years back (I was washing my hands, thankfully).

whitehawk

Banned
Jim Cuddy

cuddy2614.jpg

Went to school with his son. He came into our school at least once and played some songs for us. Cool guy.

karobit

KingOfKong said:
When I was a kid, I went into a game store to buy Mortal Kombat III and I saw Shaq there.

Met Shaq at work (Barnes & Noble) once. Saw him coming in the front door, thought process went 1) That guy is huge, is he going to fit through the door? 2) I wonder if that's Shaq. 3) Shit, did I just think that because he's a huge black man? Am I a secret racist?

He came right up to the desk where a coworker and I were standing and said "Don't laugh, but I don't know how to read music." Coworker took him over to the music section to get those little A ~ G stickers to put on piano keys and then over to the home decorating section. Apparently he made his way over to the magazines and goosed one of our cafe girls later.

Mike Tyson was in the store once or twice too. The time I saw him he was in with a girl (much younger than him) and, I swear to god, he called her mommy.

Blablurn

I met Hideo Kojima, Sam Kennedy, Garnett Lee and Ryan Clements last year at GamesCom. It was quite surreal to see these gaming guys in real life :lol

especially meeting was pretty lucky. although he had several autopgraph session i never made it. later i visited the konami conference. he even stood in front of me but ken imaizumi said to me that he got no time :/
2 days later i waited at the ubi soft lounge to see avatar (the game). i searched something in my bag and as soom as I stood up again i saw kojima san standing in front of me. i was like: WTF. I directly asked him for an autograph. thank god he did it. i will never forget what ken said in this moment: "you're a lucky guy". hell yeah, dude. hell yeah.

t98dp2.jpg

oh, and i met Sebass Takatsuka - The producer of the best football simulation in the world. PES!!!!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A friend of mine once saw LaDainian Tomlinson at Dave & Busters. He asked LT's bodyguard if he could buy LT a beer, and the bodyguard looked at him and said, "LT can afford his own beer." :lol

Walked past me on a sidewalk in Vancouver BC: Keanu Reeves.

Ran into @ Best Buy in Westwood CA: Steve Wozniac, Carrie Fisher, and Riddley Scott.

Came into use my bathroom ran I use to manage a small computer store in Santa Monica CA: Antonio Bandaras (He came up to about my chin in height!).

Magni

My hockey club got to do a 2.5 hour practice session with Chris Chelios - back when he was captain of Team America - and his two sons when I used to live in Seattle. I've also crossed Pascal Gentil (bronze medal in tae kwon do at the 2004 Olympics) in the lockers at my squash club in Paris.

Oh, and for my birthday I got to go backstage talk to the Gipsy Kings, who are from my hometown in southern France. Was pretty cool to see them 10 000 km from home for my birthday :D

Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor on Smallville) went to my high school. I used to work at the movie theater here, and the weekend that the awful movie Kickin' It Old School came out (I think he plays the bad guy in it) he came to watch it. The theater made a huge deal about it, promoting it and all of that sort of stuff. He was kind of cocky and had a whole crowd of people around him as they followed him into the theater. I was cleaning up the hallways and he came out of the theater and asked me where the bathroom was. :lol

That's all I've got, unfortunately.

Sammy Sosas brother tried to buy a food item from my register when i worked at the Cubs, but we didnt have what he wanted, so i pointed him to a stand that did

i waited at a stoplight with jeff green. i was visiting sanfran for summer vacation in 2007, waited four feet away from him and have never been so starstruck in my entire life

Arjen

Tons of dutch celebs on raves, most of them seemed to enjoy the drugs rather well :lol

The only one non-dutch GAF might know,
Doutzen Kroes, Victoria Secrets model, saw her in a club in my hometown

DoutzenKroes_WireImage_6454286.jpg

cvxfreak said:
I'm a family friend of Manny Pacquiao and have known him personally since I was 13 years old. He always buys fight tickets for my family every fight, and I try to make it to his fights when I have the opportunity.
out of all of the posts here, this is the one that excites me the most

<3 pacquiao soooo much

Stencil

I met Dosh (electronic music artist), he was awesomely nice. I met Julian Casablancas, too, ca. Room On Fire tour.

I've met many celebrities in my life but one that stands out is Shannon Elizabeth at the height of American Pie fame. In Vegas doing blow at the bellagio.

Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard in Toronto at the Drake Hotel dancing at a Xiu Xiu show. That was just weird.

Don't get the obsession with celebrities. Only person I gave enough of a shit to ask for an autograph was Wayne Gretzky because I idolized him as a kid.

orioto

Good Art™
So, old story but:

_At some convention in France, i came too soon and waited alone in a room with a guy who seemed terrified by me (i was dressed as a bully a little). I later discovered that it was Isao Takahata !! OMG !

_In the same style, at an other convention, Kôji Morimoto was signing some stuff, and i only had a bootleg version of Memories then. So he takes it, and seems disturbed, then he looks for an editor (i was kind of embarrassed at this point), and finally see the bootleg proof... He then make me a beautiful drawing on the inside:D

_Also waited in line many times in a supermarket with Joe Starr (NTM for those who knows) who live two street from me, and crossed the way of Jean Reno and Sophie Marceau not far from my house. Mathieu Amalric to, is easily seen at some theater in the capital.

seanoff

a few here and there, aussies mostly, but 1 tops them all,

Pope John Paul II.

for some reason the pope said mass where i live, mum's a very good catholic (me, umm no) and as a favour to her and others the bishop made a bunch of people from the city alter boys. all of us somewhat surprised.

quite a down to earth sort of bloke. being the tropics it was hot and there was a large number of drinks available after mass. the Czech cardinal asked me as we were walking off if there "was any decent beer". :lol he was even more down to earth. quite a guy.

Terrell

At my previous job fixing computers, I met Kristin Kreuk, Elvis Costello and Malin Akerman. They were really cool, especially Malin Akerman, she and I had a chat and she encouraged me to get back into writing. I promised that I would send her a copy of the first book I ever publish.

No idea if anyone outside the Uk has heard of him but at a gig in London me, my gf,her sister and best mate stood next to Kano for the entire set of one of the other bands, a group of girls got a pic with him and we just thought it was one of there friends or something. After the next band, chase an statues comes on, halfway through their set the guy we stood next to jumps out,being introduced as Kano and starts doing his thing.
We all look at each other make a "wtf?" face and enjoy the rest of the night :lol

Also saw one of the fit presenter from T4 dancing like a maniac there aswell

kano-london-town1.jpg

Met Natalie Portman and told her she was stunning, was rewarded with a most beautiful smile.

Met Keith Flint from the Prodigy in a record store in Chelmsford.

Met Terry Pratchett at a book signing.

Met Iron Maiden backstage, it was a total Waynes World moment and the most starstruck i've ever been in my life. Nice blokes.

Met the keyboardist from Rammstein, he gave me a Rammstein plectrum :)

Got to hang out with Casey Chaos and the band Amen.

Met various West Ham players over the years, Paolo Di Canio, Julian Dicks, Ludek Miklosko, Steve Potts, John Moncur, Tony Cottee, Tomas Repka, Billy Bonds etc

LCfiner

Saw Jonathan Torrens (of Street Cents and Trailer Park Boys “fame") around 15 years ago when I was in high school at some school media fair thing.

Offered him a donut. :|

Mostly just dudes from bands.
Peter Steele
Burton Bell
Dino Cazares
Dee Snider
Max Cavalera, his wife, and son.
The Supersuckers
Jerry Only
Prolly some more I can't remember.

LCfiner said:
Saw Jonathan Torrens (of Street Cents and Trailer Park Boys “fame") around 15 years ago when I was in high school at some school media fair thing.

Offered him a donut. :|

j-roc baby :-D

szhred

Gary Whitta said:
I once called Sir. Sean Connery a cunt to his face, in retrospect I kinda regret it.

Fixed.
And no I never meet any cele. Because in Sweden we do not have any worth mention.

Guzim

I've met Weezer. They're really nice guys especially the bassist Scott Shriner. You can honestly tell he loves the fans and what he does.

Matt Pinfield is really nice too.

Tom DeLonge is nice too, and he seems humble that he's famous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom