• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Neogaf ever met a celebrity? Tell your stories here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
David Perry

Ted Price

Kazunori Yamauchi and Translator Guy (with notebook)

TRANSLATOR-GUY_1140397d.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
sprsk said:
That ending was pretty funny and thanks for the links.
Gary Whitta said:
He's retired so I'm off the hook.

And he wasn't a Knight when I called him a cunt. If he had been I'm sure I would have come up with something more respectful like doucheface or twat.
Someone said he does voice work. Anyway why did you call him that? If you don't mind providing a story.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Plywood said:
That ending was pretty funny and thanks for the links.

Someone said he does voice work. Anyway why did you call him that? If you don't mind providing a story.

Gary called him it because like recognizes like.

Cronen

I've met both Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (from Spaced/Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz). I've also met James Morrison (Bill Buchanan from 24). Those were both at conventions.

I've also met the band Enter Shikari. We were doing some charity work and they agreed to sign some stuff for us to auction off. Met the singer again later randomly at a carpark heh! :D

Tedesco!

I was once a record rep for MCA records and I've worked in radio, so I've met and known a ton of musicians. I also worked with a lot of athletes and have been fortunate enough to know Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, The Big Red Machine (I still keep in contact) Rickey Henderson, Jack Lambert, Brett Favre, and Antonio Gates, to name a few....

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Bootaaay said:
Met Iron Maiden backstage, it was a total Waynes World moment and the most starstruck i've ever been in my life. Nice blokes.

Nice. I've never met the Maiden guys myself, but going by what I've heard from people who have met them, they're supposedly very down to earth and nice guys, especially Nicko and Steve, while Bruce might be an arrogant cunt at times.

besada said:
I've met a bunch of comic book "famous" people: Neil Gaiman

:O

How was Gaiman? Always seemed like a genuinely nice guy to me.

My two best "backstage" experiences:

1) Onstage with Poison.

2) On bus with Judas Priest.

Best comic book encounter:

BKV's wedding was pretty nice.

besada

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
How was Gaiman? Always seemed like a genuinely nice guy to me.

That's exactly how he is. I met him when the third issue of Sandman was coming out, and he was incredibly nice. We spent nearly twenty minutes talking about obscure folklore. And he was entirely dressed in black, even then.

Matt Wagner was the same way, basically, but he did a kickass line drawing of Edsel in my hardback MAGE Vol. 2, so he gets special props.

Oh, and while we're at it, the creator of Johnny Quest, Doug Wildey, called me a queer once.

Meadows

Banned
Brad Shoemaker (Giant Bomb) got on my bus once. I was in San Francisco at the time. He was taller than I expected and was wearing a Giant Bomb hoodie. Not really that interesting but whatevs.

Oh, and when he said thanks to the bus driver, I'm pretty sure his voice squeaked a little bit :lol

Azar

At Dragon-Con:

Joel Hodgson (MST3K) is the only celeb I can think of I've actually had a conversation with. He was a really cool guy, super nice.

My roommate and I also talked to John DeLancie for a couple minutes, and we mentioned Reign Over Me which he has a part in and he said he'd never seen the film. :lol

Also, one of my favorites was seeing Mike Capps pre-Gears of War 2 talking about the game for a solid hour. He was funny and friendly and took a sip of Sprite or beer whenever someone in the crowd told him to. He'd probably had two or three beers by the end of that panel.

Went to a night of comedy from the Broken Lizard guys (Super Troopers, Beerfest) and they stayed after to sign stuff. They spent as much time as you wanted on each person so we were talking to them for like 20 minutes. I got a copy of Beerfest and a ping pong paddle signed by them. Those guys are awesome

Went to school with Larry Holmes Jr. In elementary school went over his house like twice and waved to his dad from across the room

Meadows said:
Brad Shoemaker (Giant Bomb) got on my bus once. I was in San Francisco at the time. He was taller than I expected and was wearing a Giant Bomb hoodie. Not really that interesting but whatevs.

Oh, and when he said thanks to the bus driver, I'm pretty sure his voice squeaked a little bit :lol

Ah, this reminds me of sitting next to him at a demonstration of Bad Company at the Leipzig Games Convention. My colleague r0nn and I looked at each other and said, is that....? Met Mark Rein there too.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
besada said:
That's exactly how he is. I met him when the third issue of Sandman was coming out, and he was incredibly nice. We spent nearly twenty minutes talking about obscure folklore. And he was entirely dressed in black, even then.

Awesome :D Yeah, he seems to always be dressed in black jeans, black t-shirt and black leather jacket, making him look like a musician from some late 80s UK gothic rock band :lol

Jin

I saw Mike Tyson at the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas on Sept 2006. The guy is fucking huge. Not tall but really wide. His arms are like tree trunks. He's like a walking Golem. There was a small crowd of people just taking pictures. He said he doesn't have time (in a nice way) and kept walking with his bodyguard. One Asian tourist ran up to him, grab his arm, and raised it in the air in front of his friend's camera. I would never touch Mike Tyson without his permission.

I wouldn't consider them famous, but I've worked on (and continue to work on) computers for a few scientists who have been featured in National Geographic specials and have published works on animal genomes....... :)lol I suck)

Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's told me and a friend to "stay off his fucking yard" when I was 14 or 15. Earned insta-respect for Wendy's food.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I may have seen Zach Galifianikis (
THE GUY FROM "THE HANGOVER"
) getting a burger to go the other night, but then my neighborhood is full of guys trying to be mistaken for Zach Galifianikis.

You probably saw me. Before I lost a lot of weight I looked exactly like him. It's funny because his character in the The Hangover has my personality.

Zio

I was at a record store in a mall and saw that Derek Jeter was standing in the aisle right behind me, looking at CDs. I also saw that in front of me were a stack of cheap Casio keyboards. I called up a cheesy organ sound and started playing the baseball organ tunes. you know, the one that slowly accelerates and goes higher in pitch and climaxes with the "BA NA NA NA NA NAAAAA.....CHAAARRRRGGGEEEE!!!!"....I just had to do it. Got a chuckle outta him...

I've met Jordan Rudess, keyboardist for Dream Theater, a few times. I once randomly won this sweepstakes that got me a backstage pass, a concert ticket, and a private lesson with him before the show. That was an amazing and memorable experience. I got brought backstage, heard John Petrucci warming up behind one of the walls, saw John Myung on a couch going nuts on his bass. Ran into James Labrie (their Canadian singer) and he was like "who the fuck is this guy?", pointing at me, :lol. I was led into the keyboard warm up room where Rudess was. We first let our hands thaw out over a radiator while we shot the shit. We sat down at the keyboard and I played something for him, something I've been writing for a few years. He said he really liked it, had some suggestions, and without even really looking at what I was playing, he played it back to me perfectly by ear and basically made it sound so much better! James Labrie burst into the room, without knocking, and yelled at Rudess "WHERE ARE THE FUCKING BACKPLUGS???! HAVE YOU SEEN THE BACKPLUGGS??!" I think they were called backpluggs...but neither of us knew where they were. The lesson ended and I went on to experience a 3 hour show of just Dream Theater. It was intensely awesome, even exhausting, but in a good way.

It was quite the experience...something I'll probably tell my kids someday. I mean, the guy is a big part of why I've kept playing keyboards and piano....discovering his music sort of opened up a new world for me, and getting to meet him like this was just all sorts of fucking awesome.

totowhoa

Banned
I went to high school with Blake Griffin, NBA player for the Clippers. He was a couple grades below me, but I knew his older brother well.. both of them were starting for the Oklahoma Sooners, but Blake was the only one skilled enough to go on to the NBA. He was always a nice guy. Bumped into him at the supermarket this year before he left for the Clippers, but that's the last time I've spoken with him.

My ex-girlfriend has seen radiohead five times in four different countries, along with her older brother who has also bumped into them three times by mistake. Once at an airport, once in the lobby of a hotel, and then once in a pub near another hotel he was once at. Kind of weird.

My fiance smoked a blunt with the Mars Volta... not much else to that one, other than Omar and Cedric are kind of weird and the current drummer is supposed to be a very nice guy. Aside from the drummer, they liked to get girls fucked up and sleep with them, I guess.

bengraven

The queen of Jordan makes me feel funny.

besada said:

My biggest regret from moving out of the Twin Cities was that I wasn't into Gaiman while I lived there and since he lives in the metro area he visits a local shop quite a bit.

Now, 10 years later, I'm obsessed with his work and would die to meet him, but I live in Florida.

adg1034

Desaparecido said:
Also, most likely no one knows who they are, but I met both Tom Chapin and Paul Winter when I was really young. Tom Chapin I understand listening to... he wrote things for kids. But Paul Winter?

My parents used to listen to his stuff. Nice saxophonist.

bengraven said:
My biggest regret from moving out of the Twin Cities was that I wasn't into Gaiman while I lived there and since he lives in the metro area he visits a local shop quite a bit.

Now, 10 years later, I'm obsessed with his work and would die to meet him, but I live in Florida.

I live in the Twin Cities and love his work. Which shop does he frequent?

gibration

Hadoken said:
Why does she look more happy then you?
I was smiling in the first picture that my brother took but for some reason it didn't get saved in the memory card. :(
Atilac said:
Honestly, her boobs are pressing into your chest. Your O face would be more appropriate.
:lol

Schrade

Guzim said:
I forget which GAFer it was, but I believe this happened at Burger King, Michael Moore asked if he could have some change for food. The GAFer gave it to him, and Michael Moore proceeded to talk crap to him on his website :lol
Whoa... someone have the link to this story?

Easy_G

I was studying thermodynamics in a starbucks with my girlfriend when Chuck Liddell walked in. When I turned around to look we made eye contact for a few seconds. A minute later I turned around again and he was staring at me again for a few seconds. Then he got his drink and left. Basically, I almost had to kick Chuck Liddell's ass at Starbucks for trying to stare me down. Extemely exciting true story.

Also, his legs look like toothpicks in person.

chuck-liddell-iceman.png

Howard Dean
Leonardo DiCaprio
Jared Fogle (Subway Jared)
Tom Daschle

I know I met more but being in a university in a swing state for the 2004 election has its benefits.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Easy_G said:
I was studying thermodynamics in a starbucks with my girlfriend when Chuck Liddell walked in. When I turned around to look we made eye contact for a few seconds. A minute later I turned around again and he was staring at me again for a few seconds. Then he got his drink and left. Basically, I almost had to kick Chuck Liddell's ass at Starbucks for trying to stare me down. Extemely exciting true story.

Also, his legs look like toothpicks in person.

http://www.celebrityclubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/chuck-liddell-iceman.png[img][/QUOTE]
Awesome :lol

Jhoan

Gaming:
The 5th Cell people at Nintendo world where I got the game autographed plus a couple of GAFfers such as Dacvak, PXG, JRRicky, GregLombardi and a few others. They were pretty awesome people. I also met Stephen Totilo at that same event. I was pretty nervous, he was a nice guy. The conversation went something like this:
Me: You're Stephen Totilo from Kotaku right?
Totilo: Yeah

And then we went from there. I also took plenty of pictures with them
Capcom people:
Seth Killian- I took a couple of pictures with him at the Street Fighter Fight Club event. He was pretty cool.
Rey Jimenez- He's a producer at Capcom. He was a pretty awesome guy to talk to. At first I thought he was Dan Hsu and I told him so. He was a little bit drunk. Had a pretty good conversation with him. Apparently he's a huge God Hand fan like me so who knew? I got his business card and some pictures with him. Also met him at the Fight Club.

Brian Crecente- Also at the Fight Club. I didn't actually meet him because I was kind of scared of approaching him. He was leaving. He looked at me really funny but oh well.

A couple of journos that own their own indie website at that same event. Also saw a couple of Street Fighter Pros at that same event.

Non-Gaming:

I saw Lawrence Fishburne (Morpheus from the Matrix, CSI) walking with a guy towards 59th street ahead of my bro about a 2 months ago or so. It seems like they were trying to avoid the paparazzi because this huge flash went off behind us and I knew it was the paparazzi. He's pretty tall and has greying hair. He also gave a woman a quick handshake as he strolled by her.

Manny Perez (actor, "Washington Heights," "La Soga")- He went to my high school to promote his movie "Washington Heights" in of all places a Washington Heights HS.

Frederick Martinez aka "El Pacha" a famous Spanish radio personality- saw him promoting an independent Dominican film once outside this crappy ass theather that's in my neighborhood.

Neil "Style" Strauss (author of The Game)- I went to a booksigning of his in Barnes and Noble. Surprisingly short, very shiny head. He told me to fix my posture and do his Style Life Challenge and asked for my name. I think he was annoyed with me. He was with two fake tanned blondish looking Asian chicks who a lot taller than him. Also got his autograph. Met a bunch of guys who actually blew 2000 bucks to attend a pick-up artist seminar with Mystery.

A bunch of spanish world musicians that sing Bachata and Merengue. I'm not gonna go into details here because I don't think most you know who they are, but I'll say Edilio Paredes, a couple of lead guitarists for famous bachata singers, Aguakate who's a merengue singer/radio personality (El Vacilon de La Manana) who lives in my neighborhood and will ocassionally see walking around, also Alexandra a lady from a former bachata duo known as Monchy and Alexandra came to visit once because she's this guy that lives in my house' niece. A couple of execs from HBO, NBC, etc. came to visit my HS for Dress for Success day, and I've seen a couple of Fox reporters recording a show when I passed the Newscorp Building/ Good Morning America people from the outside and this one celebrity who was in a bike-taxi that I saw people crowding around and that's about it.

ronito

I went to see the Pet shop Boys concert for the Behavior tour in the early 90s (great show btw). And decided to hang around after the concert was over and see if I could get back stage. It was suprisingly easy. We ended up going to a rave....I didn't know they were gay at the time. :(

Also, I used to PA for a classical radio station met tons of classical music celebrities. Itzhak Perlman however stands out, he's the coolest/nicest guy ever. Met most of the key figures of the metropolitan opera (James Levine is the biggest jerk btw).

edit: I should also add I've had the chance to get taught by and sometimes watch most of the prominent classical guitarists of the 90s practice, Parkening, Barrueco, Tennant, York, and the rest of the LAGQ. Sharon Isbin is the least pleasant person you'll ever meet.

I was sat across for Cuba Gooding Jr in a bar in Manhattan for ages one night, I was so hyped when I realised as he's one of my favourite actors, I was tempted to pimp out my then girlfriend to him.

Instead I just got her to take a photo with him in the background lol

p1010540.jpg

Don't judge me too hard on the bad photo and worse shirt this was 4 years ago now :lol

Stinkles

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I know. I didn't have time to iron my shirt. Just threw on whatever I found in the closet and left for the party. :(

That shirt is fresh from a box.

Stinkles

Jeff Albertson said:
I was sat across for Cuba Gooding Jr in a bar

terriblepic.jpg

Don't judge me too hard on the bad photo and worse shirt this was 4 years ago now :lol

bzj14.jpg

You're welcome.

Big B

Met Lang Lang after a concert. He seemed to want to talk to my friend more. :(

And I saw Oliver Perez shopping once in a mall. This was before he went to the Mets.

Also not me but my uncle is allegedly friends with Fidel Castro, he is or was the agricutural minister for Canada or something like that so has known him for years through dealings.

KAL2006

Banned
Alan Moore

Not really famous, but he is a well known comic writer/artist. He did V for Vendetta, Watchmen, League of Extraordinay Gentlemen, Swamp Thing and even Superman and Batman. He lives a couple of blocks away from my house in Northampton (UK). Surprisingly he lives in a standard terraced (I though he would be rich). Seen him in a local bar, looked really odd looking and scary. Never spoke to him, but I know a few people who have spoke to him on many occassions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom