• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

x3sphere

in terms of looks, I agree the S8 is more sleek. If you asked me to pick which was the more expensive one in a blind test (assuming I knew nothing about the phones) I'd think it was the S8.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
The OP shows a complete lack of understanding in terms of what the X actually has. I think the X looks way better than the S8 or note. And you show the back of the note as if those cameras and fingerprint sensor aren't fugly as fuck.

In terms of innovation apple presented a design that's never been seen or done before with the technology that it has inside of it. It's the perfect blend of the best of everything you can get in smartphone technology all in one device. Not samsung's jack of all trades not quite there and some things are utter garbage hodge page of software/hardware.

Not to say those are bad phones but we're talking different leagues to me. I know it's their marketing slogan but the X really is the future of smartphones. It kinda sucks if you don't like it because all phones are going to copy its tech and look for years to come. Or they'll try to at least.

bruh come on !!!!

"In terms of innovation apple presented a design that's never been seen or done before with the technology that it has inside of it. "

I think minor variation on slab of glass isn't really that innovative. This is aimed at every manufacturer not just Apple.

X look like the Essential Phone and iPhone had a child with birth defects.

Strakt

OP forgot to mention the horrendous bixby button on the side.. not to mention bixby in general. Want to remap it? Sure, but it causes your phone to lag a bit more. Also the fact that random people talking could trigger bixby voice. Happened to me a couple times when I was watching a movie or even out in public. Good thing samsung also included google voice.

Everything else about the s8+ is pretty good.

VeeP

I think it's very difficult to do the design that apple did. Why don't you look at the essential and Mi Mix 2 from Xiaomi who clearly tried? They still have bezels on the bottom and the essential even has a notch at the top. They both completely lack the high tech cameras on the front as well so there's no real gain.

So yes, it's very difficult to design and manufacture a phone like this....not sure why you'd deny that. Apple has zero bezel on the bottom and the notch is completely functional and houses state of the art facial scanning technology.

Mi Mix 2 has bezels at the bottom, none at the top. Apple has bezels at the top, none on the bottom. They were able to do it. Design wise they’re phone looks better than Apples. Functionally I’d say it’s worse because the camera is at the bottom, but we’re talking looks not function here.

Future phones may copy the X, but the X is literally Apple catching up to everyone else. It’s executing FaceID probably better than any other phone company, and I 100 percent expect the Pixel 3 and other companies to implement it in a very similar way next year. It’s actually pretty similar to Microsoft’s Hello feature on Surface laptops. So hopefully Apple adds it into their MacBooks.

OP forgot to mention the horrendous bixby button on the side.. not to mention bixby in general. Want to remap it? Sure, but it causes your phone to lag a bit more. Also the fact that random people talking could trigger bixby voice. Happened to me a couple times when I was watching a movie or even out in public. Good thing samsung also included google voice.

Everything else about the s8+ is pretty good.

Samsung adds the most half baked features into their phones sometimes smh. If they made a pure Android experience no one could stop them. But I guess this is the only way they can really advance further in the market, if consumers use their apps/features over Google.

Quixzlizx

I seriously can't believe anyone thinks the X looks better than the S8+. That notch looks so much worse than a bezel. And I can't figure out any upside to a notch that takes up 75+% of the area the bezel would have.

The OP shows a complete lack of understanding in terms of what the X actually has. I think the X looks way better than the S8 or note. And you show the back of the note as if those cameras and fingerprint sensor aren't fugly as fuck.

In terms of innovation apple presented a design that's never been seen or done before with the technology that it has inside of it. It's the perfect blend of the best of everything you can get in smartphone technology all in one device. Not samsung's jack of all trades not quite there and some things are utter garbage hodge page of software/hardware.

Not to say those are bad phones but we're talking different leagues to me. I know it's their marketing slogan but the X really is the future of smartphones. It kinda sucks if you don't like it because all phones are going to copy its tech and look for years to come. Or they'll try to at least.

That kool-aid.

I'm an iPhone fan but something is seriously wrong with the X if the product that most interested me during the presentation was the fucking Apple Watch.

...not that it will be supported in my country (;_;)

snacknuts

we all knew her

The ramblings of a madman.

BriGuy

I seriously can't believe anyone thinks the X looks better than the S8+. That notch looks so much worse than a bezel. And I can't figure out any upside to a notch that takes up 75+% of the area the bezel would have.
Imagine you were in an alternate universe where neither phone existed and then were presented with the X and S8 side by side. Then you were told one of these was going to be the next iPhone design, but they want people to vote on it. What do you think the results of that poll would be?

It may be a great phone, but looks aren't its strong suit.

Samsung adds the most half baked features into their phones sometimes smh. If they made a pure Android experience no one could stop them. But I guess this is the only way they can really advance further in the market, if consumers use their apps/features over Google.
this would make sense if Google didn't keep adding Samsung features to 'pure Android' year after year after year.

manakel

The S8 looks amazing, and idk what Apple was smoking where they thought the notch in the iPhone X was a good design choice. However, I can't give up an iPhone no matter how amazing the S8 may be. The camera (portrait mode in particular) and iMessage have me locked in.

Owari

I'd take a small bezel at the top and bottom over that big ugly bumper car ring around the X. I'm pretty sure other manufacturers can do it. It's a matter of aesthetics I think.
And as an iphone owner for 10+ years, I'd prefer no bezel and a notch.

To each his own.

X look like the Essential Phone and iPhone had a child with birth defects.
Nah, X doesn't have an ugly bottom bezel.

Also, offensive.

Just a shallow observation because I have no experience with either of the phones, but just in terms of the design, Samsung is miles ahead of Apple.

yyzjohn

Banned

The iPhone X is ugly as fuck. Top notch and camera bump on the back, get the fuck out of here.

Owari

The iPhone X is ugly as fuck. Top notch and camera bump on the back, get the fuck out of here.
The back is objectively cleaner than literally every android phone. The notch is cleaner than the top and/or bottom bezels android manufactures can't figure out.

longdi

Banned
a11geekbench-800x706.jpg

/Jeffthereitis

A11 is mobile quad i7 level of performance, couple that with pcie high speed storage, no one comes close

The back is objectively cleaner than literally every android phone. The notch is cleaner than the top and/or bottom bezels android manufactures can't figure out.

Well I guess opinions and all, but what you're saying I find very hard to believe.

This thread is full of gorgeous bezel less phones that make the iPhone approach a bit chunky. Also, the way the sides of the iphone look as if it's already wearing a cover, sort of undoes the "bezel less look". The phone still has thick edges on all sides.

Owari

Well I guess opinions and all, but what you're saying I find very hard to believe.

This thread is full of gorgeous bezel less phones that make the iPhone approach a bit chunky. Also, the way the sides of the iphone look as if it's already wearing a cover, sort of undoes the "bezel less look". The phone still has thick edges on all sides.
Not as thick as the actual top/bottom bezels found on all android phones.

I'd also rather have something to actually rest my fingers on when I'm holding the phone without activating a bunch of bullshit.

Also don't feel like replacing my entire display if it were to fall

ronco2000

Too much apple juice I see.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
a11geekbench-800x706.jpg

/Jeffthereitis

A11 is mobile quad i7 level of performance, couple that with pcie high speed storage, no one comes close

Can they use some of that power to allow users to space homescreen icons however they want

or run splitscreen apps or something

Owari

Can they use some of that power to allow users to space homescreen icons however they want

or run splitscreen apps or something
That I will give you. iOS 11 is extremely disappointing. No dark mode or true multitasking is just fucking stupid.

Design still makes it a better choice though overall

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
None of this really matters.

The bezelless design is legit as an upgrade to maximize screen real estate in smaller bodies.

That being said normal day to day app usage has been good for a while now.

I can browse GAF, send a text, flag an Uber, check my Gmail, post hot takes on Twitter on a ton of devices these days. A lot of the raw extra power isn't exactly useful on a phone beyond games.

Stuff like waterproofing and wireless charging are legit updates for consumers.

Strakt

Notch isn't a big deal. Its better than having pure straight bezel at the top. At least now the indicators show up on both sides. The camera bump isn't bad either especially with everything it has packed in there (AR). Coming from an s8+ user, both phones look solid. Obv s8+ will have a better display and more customization options, a really shitty bixby button that activates by accident almost 3x a day as well as a hard to reach fingerprint sensor, but the iphone x will ultimately run better (esp over time where samsungs start to slow down), provide iOS features like imessage , facetime that most users use daily and have the good tech that android users have had for some time.

At the end of the day, phone wars are pointless. Get the platform you're most comfortable on.

Owari

You should look into a waterproof case. If you fall in a pool, the x will break in more than 3ft of water. Not an issue for Samsung S7 and up.
I'm not a weirdo, so I don't need my phone in deep water. I have an Apple Watch LTE that does anything I might need that functionality for.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The S8 rear is pretty ugly.

If only the Xperia line didn't have insane bezels. Deosn't even need to be X / S8 tier, just less than what they have now. Those were big years ago, let alone currently.

26gPeaI.jpg

Socivol

Is this supposed to be a joke or are you serious?

jstripes

Banned
The S8 rear is pretty ugly.

If only the Xperia line didn't have insane bezels. Deosn't even need to be X / S8 tier, just less than what they have now. Those were big years ago, let alone currently.

26gPeaI.jpg

Those are not insane bezels.

I don't know what people are expecting.

Enjoy your off center squared off whatever that is. Meanwhile the iPhone looks like it's from the future.

Also, the Samsung logo is just.. bad. It reeks of 80s design. It literally strains my eyes to look at it. They're in desperate need of a rebranding imo.

Nah I don't think it looks good cause I'm objectively wrong so I will change my stance.

VanWinkle

I vastly prefer the way the LG V30, Galaxy S8, and Note 8 handle "bezel-less" designs. Symmetrical or near-symmetrical small ~5mm bezels on the top and bottom and very tiny left and right bezels.

It gives a look that the phone design had more thought than just "make the bezels as small as possible" (like the iPhone X, and some of the other bezel-less phones like the Essential and the Xaomi phones that have no bezel at the top and a decently thick bottom bezel where the front-facing camera resides).

I also think X has the least appealing back look, at least for the silver version. I think camera bumps should be a distant memory, and for most phone manufacturers, that's the case. That being said, the phone is immediately recognizable (for good or bad) because of that notch, and in some angles looks great. And the screen quality will be great, and the camera and power will be top-notch.

Wait, top-notch. That's what the X has. Wonder if that was intentional.

Top Bottom