• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

bionic77

It's shit like this that gives Apple fanboys a bad name.
Honestly I think everyone arguing about phones in 2017 ends up looking pretty bad.

This page is filled with comments about which phone is the most beautiful.

You have to resort to that stuff if you want to engage in phone wars because the difference in most phones is not that big anymore. All of them pretty much work now. The last real innovation was probably the phablet and that was years ago. Nothing really huge has changed the game up since then.

ronco2000

The elements that are supposed to be centered, are centered. The camera is up in the corner where it belongs so you can, you know, actually use it without worrying about holding it wrong.

LOL. Is that you're best excuse? What's your excuse about the camera bump?

At least they have the Apple logo centered.

VanWinkle

Enjoy your off center squared off whatever that is. Meanwhile the iPhone looks like it's from the future.

Also, the Samsung logo is just.. bad. It reeks of 80s design. It literally strains my eyes to look at it. They're in desperate need of a rebranding imo.

Did you look at the picture? The things on the top and bottom of the screen, those are bezels. Huge ones.

The elements that are supposed to be centered, are centered. The camera is up in the corner where it belongs so you can, you know, actually use it without worrying about holding it wrong.

You are truly embarrassing.

I did want to bring up the fact that you said the iPhone looks like it's from the future, considering how incredibly close the design is to the iPhone from 2010.

iphone-4-back-cover-replacement-w-structure-white-df7.jpeg

iphone-x-back.jpg

reKon

Banned
Enjoy your off center squared off whatever that is. Meanwhile the iPhone looks like it's from the future.

Also, the Samsung logo is just.. bad. It reeks of 80s design. It literally strains my eyes to look at it. They're in desperate need of a rebranding imo.

This is trolling right?

kmfdmpig

samsung-galaxy-s8-back-orchid.jpg

Hideous

iphone-x-back.jpg

Elegant

The only thing hideous in either picture is the long hair growing out of that man's finger.

Also, worrying about so much about what the back of a phone looks like seems a bit silly to me as you don't look at the back a whole lot.

Fuchsdh

Not sure if serious but in the off chance that you are, you mean to tell me that you seriously believe other manufacturers are going to copy that ugly intrusive notch and big bumper car ring encircling the phone? You truly believe this?

Yep. The alternative is having chins and foreheads on your phones, and sticking all the sensors and cameras on the bottom is not the optimal positioning already. Embedding everything under the screen comes with tradeoffs.

Everyone else has gone in the same direction as Apple with regards to design cues before (all those glass phones with chamfers that turned into rounded edges once the iPhone 6 came out) so it's not hard to imagine they'll do something similar. Certainly won't be every phone (Samsung seems wedded to its bent displays to distinguish themselves) but trends do emerge.

ronco2000

The only thing hideous in either picture is the long hair growing out of that man's finger.

Also, worrying about so much about what the back of a phone looks like seems a bit silly to me as you don't look at the back a whole lot.

And covering it with those elegant phone covers.

kmfdmpig

And covering it with those elegant phone covers.

Yup. So many words and worries about the look of the materials on the phone, and then all but a bit of the front is covered up by 95% of users, never to be seen again except to change cases or trade in the phone.

kmfdmpig

Really, not even the bottom one?

gZ6shPX.jpg

For a phone with nothing on the bottom bezel besides that mic/speaker slot, you don't think it's a bit large?

I agree with you.

It'd be one thing if they had physical buttons, but with on-screen buttons that bottom bezel is way too large. It's certainly big enough for a physical button.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I agree with you.

It'd be one thing if they had physical buttons, but with on-screen buttons that bottom bezel is way too large. It's certainly big enough for a physical button.

Yeah it's a bit sad because I like the design otherwise, and am interested in getting a more compact phone.

Chop that bottom bezel down so the screen is a bit larger and an Xperia compact phone would be my next purchase.

The Mule

I don't really like either all that much. The notch on the X is stupid. The rounded corners are stupid for both.

Won't be upgrading to either. Will see where we're at in a year or two.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Yep. The alternative is having chins and foreheads on your phones, and sticking all the sensors and cameras on the bottom is not the optimal positioning already. Embedding everything under the screen comes with tradeoffs.

Everyone else has gone in the same direction as Apple with regards to design cues before (all those glass phones with chamfers that turned into rounded edges once the iPhone 6 came out) so it's not hard to imagine they'll do something similar. Certainly won't be every phone (Samsung seems wedded to its bent displays to distinguish themselves) but trends do emerge.

Ok, I'm going to need names cause you guys drank way too much kool-aid. I'm pretty sure LG,Google,Sony,HTC,Motorola,Xiaomi also won't copy the ugly bumper car ring/intrusive notch look. So who does that leave apart from cheap Chinese knock offs?

Owari

You are truly embarrassing.

I did want to bring up the fact that you said the iPhone looks like it's from the future, considering how incredibly close the design is to the iPhone from 2010.
The iPhone from 2010 is the pinnacle of smartphone design thus far. The back of the 4 still looks better than modern android backs. 7 years and they still can't figure out the minimalism achieved by Jobs & co.

I don't, but others do. I assure you, it matters.

Fuchsdh

Ok, I'm going to need names cause you guys drank way too much kool-aid. I'm pretty sure LG,Google,Sony,HTC,Motorola,Xiaomi also won't copy the ugly bumper car ring/intrusive notch look. So who does that leave apart from cheap Chinese knock offs?

...In what world is Xiaomi not a cheap Chinese knockoff?

Is Samsung is out-Apple-ing Apple...maybe?

I suppose it depends on how you look at it, figuratively and literally. Looking at the phones from a purely surface perspective (glancing at the pictures), the Galaxy phones are..."simpler" to understand from a design perspective than the X and look great. That first impression is important, though probably not enough to get people to really switch one way or the other. But the real question is: Is that all that made Apple devices Apple devices? Perhaps so to those who don't own Apple devices or don't care to. Alternately, perhaps "Apple" is part aesthetics, part physical simplicity, part deep OS and hardware integration, part "it just works" (whether perception or reality), part customer service and relationship, part resale value, part quality perception (whether perception or reality), part physical feel (construction quality, fit and finish) part status symbol, part materials used, part access to the massive app store, part massive 3rd party hardware ecosystem, part what your important family/friends have, part simplicity, and so on. Any combination of those things can and should influence opinion on the main question.

In my opinion, it takes a little more than a first glance impression and debatable physical design queues to determine whether Apple is being out-Apple'd. In my opinion, physical appearance is only part of the formula, and every iPhone has been more than sufficient in the design category, though certainly not always the prettiest option. If I were to score it, I'd give the Galaxy a 10 and the iX a 9, but I have held neither so I reserve the right to re-score those. ;-)

Honestly I think everyone arguing about phones in 2017 ends up looking pretty bad.

This page is filled with comments about which phone is the most beautiful.

You have to resort to that stuff if you want to engage in phone wars because the difference in most phones is not that big anymore. All of them pretty much work now. The last real innovation was probably the phablet and that was years ago. Nothing really huge has changed the game up since then.

Best post on the page.

You guys should breathe, really take a step back and look at yourselves, arguing about relatively insignificant cosmetic differences, split seconds of performance, and millimeters of bezel as if they make these devices suddenly "hideous" and "unusable" on one end or perfect on the other. You sound like fucking idiots, to be frank.

If you like the Samsung phones and Android, the Samsung phones are a fantastic option with an objectively good design with perhaps the best screens in the business, excellent camera, limited bloat compared to previous generations, etc...but are certainly not beyond reproach. If you like Apple phones and iOS, the X is the flagship, developing interesting technological solutions (in this case, the face tracking array) and making them practical enough for grandma to use reliably (faceID)...but is certainly not beyond reproach either. In fact, none of these devices are perfect. None of these devices ever have been.

Whether the X is worth $150-$250 more than the S8/S8+ (msrp) is a matter of personal discretion and usually comes down to things like important apps/games that may only be on the Apple device or peripherals/ecosystem stuff (audio docks, car integration, receiver integration, etc.). Yes, some games and apps are not available on Android (no, it's *not* a wash if the game/app you love isn't available on the other platform), and that will matter to some. Yes, some hardware that is iOS compatible is not Android compatible, and that will matter to some. Maintaining that compatibility while getting a more powerful device for a little more monies (or equivalent money if opting for the iphone 8) will be preferable for many. Nothing wrong with that; it's quite sensible, really. And that's before talking about user experience, resale value, OS/experience preferences, app parity, and features like iMessage and Facetime that suddenly become inaccessible if switching to Android. And the same holds true for Android users who have bought into Android compatible hardware/software that doesn't offer support or versions for iOS. It's not simply a matter of "which is the better value" in a vacuum as if that's all that gets weighed, people. You're all smart enough to know better.

None of your egos should be so fragile that both of these cool products can't look cool to you. You shouldn't need further validation in your purchases, folks.

scotcheggz

Gotta agree as an iPhone user for ten years now, that Samsung looks way better.

Agree. Been sitting on my upgrade for the past month waiting to see the keynote and I'm 99% that I'm upgrading to a note 8 tomorrow. The features just excite me a lot more than anything I saw in the keynote. Little hesitant of jumping to android, but it's just better 'value' to me in the end. If I can't get on with android, worst case scenario is see what apple drops next year and sell the note to pay off my contract for an early upgrade, which isn't really a big deal.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I had an Edge S6 for a year and I have no idea what that edge on it was about? Why did I even buy it when there was a flat edge version available? I was stupid.

It has two design/usability mistakes:
1) the edge phone is unusable when your skin (fat below your thumb) will touch the edge if the phone has no cover. This will result in accidental presses.
2) the uses for the edge are limited and required multiple swipes to work (e.g. Getting the clock/weather to pop up

But it looked really nice so I think I bought it because of that. Edge only looks good but has no real value. That is also why I think the iPhone X has a bezel because it prevents accidental touches of the screen. The notch I have no idea why its there.

Samsung also is slower in use and more bloated compared to an iPhone because it is not optimised correctly. In essence it has way more freedom which I really liked but is not as smooth experience as an iPhone. It's the reason why I switched to iPhone 7 when the S6 broke and the screen was 300 to fix.

And yes, the Samsung logo sucks. They should redesign something simple. And make earphones without the plastic protectors that slip off easily and get lost all the time. Did they?

Lastly, X is overpriced as fuck, so I am not interested on that phone at all. but that is not the point of the discussion so no more about that.

Which phone is the mi mix a knock off of and tell me which manufacturers you believe will copy the ugly bumper car ring/intrusive notch aesthetic. I need names of manufacturers

It's like some folks just don't follow tech blogs/sites. The news and blog sphere was kinda surprised when mi mix as a concept phone was released. I was also surprised how good it looked.

I'm rockin a iPhone 6 Plus. I'm gonna wait another year to see what Apple does then before choosing my next phone. I have so many apps on my iPhone that it's tough to switch to android.

VanWinkle

The iPhone from 2010 is the pinnacle of smartphone design thus far. The back of the 4 still looks better than modern android backs. 7 years and they still can't figure out the minimalism achieved by Jobs & co.

While I can say that many iPhones have been great looking or at least had certain great design features, I feel that you are far too biased to have an opinion on Android phones. The mere fact that you say they can't figure out minimalism when pretty much every high-end phone has a very minimal design says it all.

DOWN

Banned
I don’t think I’ve ever watched a movie in the zoom mode on iPhone? Are y’all zooming your movies like Wonder Woman? That zoom thing is shit on all phones with or without an indent

Actually I hardly have ever touched more than youtube vids on iPhone generally

VanWinkle

Good thing it doesn't do that unless you choose to zoom the image to cover the part where the notch is (default video player stops right at the notch).

This is true, but having a design like LG's V30 or the Galaxy S8 is still better, whether you want to watch uncropped (where it will be a wider, fully display on the S8) or filling the screen (where there will be no distracting notch on the S8)

Uncropped:
woQV0RD.jpg

Fit-to-screen:
ANgAyE4.jpg

This is true, but having a design like LG's V30 or the Galaxy S8 is still better, whether you want to watch uncropped (where it will be a wider, fully display on the S8) or filling the screen (where there will be no distracting notch on the S8)
I don’t get how it is better to have a small bezel than to have a small bezel-sized black bar that the video doesn’t cross. Seems exactly the same to me. Except that on the iPhone X if you really want you can zoom the video to fill the space where the bezel on the other phone would be, but with a notch cut out. I’ve never liked zooming videos, personally, but some people like doing it.

kirblar

I had an Edge S6 for a year and I have no idea what that edge on it was about? Why did I even buy it when there was a flat edge version available? I was stupid.

It has two design/usability mistakes:
1) the edge phone is unusable when your skin (fat below your thumb) will touch the edge if the phone has no cover. This will result in accidental presses.
2) the uses for the edge are limited and required multiple swipes to work (e.g. Getting the clock/weather to pop up

But it looked really nice so I think I bought it because of that. Edge only looks good but has no real value. That is also why I think the iPhone X has a bezel because it prevents accidental touches of the screen. The notch I have no idea why its there.

Samsung also is slower in use and more bloated compared to an iPhone because it is not optimised correctly. In essence it has way more freedom which I really liked but is not as smooth experience as an iPhone. It's the reason why I switched to iPhone 7 when the S6 broke and the screen was 300 to fix.

And yes, the Samsung logo sucks. They should redesign something simple. And make earphones without the plastic protectors that slip off easily and get lost all the time. Did they?

Lastly, X is overpriced as fuck, so I am not interested on that phone at all. but that is not the point of the discussion so no more about that.
I really, really disliked the Edge on the S7 and was going to get a regular S7 before a sale on the S8 had me upgrade to it. The S8 fixed the issues I had w/ the S7/S6 Edge design.

VanWinkle

I don't get how it is better to have a small bezel than to have a small bezel-sized black bar that the video doesn't cross. Seems exactly the same to me. Except that on the iPhone X if you really want you can zoom the video to fill the space where the bezel on the other phone would be, but with a notch cut out. I've never liked zooming videos, personally, but some people like doing it.

The phones have the same size screens. Yet, on the S8, the uncropped video goes all the way from the left of the screen to the right. It uses the full width of the display, leaving very small black bars on the top and bottom of the screen (of the landscape image) in a typical 21:9 movie. If you choose to use fit-to-screen, you will get a full uninterrupted image with light cropping.

On iPhone X, if you choose to go uncropped, you will need to at least black out the part of the display with the notch, which - as a side effect of making essentially a less-wide display through this - will make bigger black bars on the top and bottom (of the landscape image). You are getting an all-around smaller image, and from a design perspective it's going to look worse, because you are getting an image that is shifted to the right rather than symmetrical. If you choose to use fit-to-screen, you will get an image with light cropping as well as a notch on the left.

eizarus

Banned

I don't, but others do. I assure you, it matters.

Jamesonlaughing.gif

Edris

They dont need to innovate when people buy their products anyway.
Speaking of innovation, some people i know really thought wireless charging is a new thing..

eizarus

Banned
Speaking of innovation, some people i know really thought wireless charging is a new thing..

You think that's bad? I have a cousin who literally (and I mean literally) said wow every time there was technical jargon that he didn't understand in the unveiling event.

kubev

As someone who used to use Windows Phone, I have to say that it blows my mind that it took Apple this long to offer wireless charging on its phones when so many inexpensive Windows Phones managed to include the feature.

longdi

Banned
Really, not even the bottom one?

For a phone with nothing on the bottom bezel besides that mic/speaker slot, you don't think it's a bit large?

No. It's iconic buddy.

Sony does think bezel phones too
xperia-xa1-ultra-front.jpg

ZL was likely the earliest bezel begone phone
35567073.jpg

Top Bottom