• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

Tecnniqe

Banned
The phones have the same size screens. Yet, on the S8, the uncropped video goes all the way from the left of the screen to the right. It uses the full width of the display, leaving very small black bars on the top and bottom of the screen (of the landscape image) in a typical 21:9 movie. If you choose to use fit-to-screen, you will get a full uninterrupted image with light cropping.

On iPhone X, if you choose to go uncropped, you will need to at least black out the part of the display with the notch, which, as a side effect to making essentially a less wise display through this, will make bigger black bars on the top and bottom (of the landscape image). You are getting an all-around smaller image, and from a design perspective it's going to look worse, because you are getting an image that is shifted to the right rather than symmetrical. If you choose to use fit-to-screen, you will get an image with light cropping as well as a notch on the left.
Yes

Damn.

This thread is an embarrassment, I use iOS and Android and I couldn't care less what the back of a phone looks like.

People focus on the minors when the majors are all the same. Shit that doesn't matter and never mattered suddenly becomes mission-critical, deal-breakers.

Alternately, people are very insecure about their purchase decisions and need regular validation to feel good.

n0razi

iPhone 4 was the pinnacle of iPhone design

2013%2F07%2F29%2F41%2FiPhone4.0b54b.jpg

People focus on the minors when the majors are all the same. Shit that doesn't matter and never mattered suddenly becomes mission-critical, deal-breakers.

Alternately, people are very insecure about their purchase decisions and need regular validation to feel good.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

VoxPop

The Galaxy S8 is a beautiful phone as well but in the end it's a Samsung phone. The only Samsung phone I wasn't disappointed to own was probably the Note 4. Note 7 was great but yeah. The X is my next for sure but I wouldn't complain if I got a free Note 8.

I currently use a 7+, and I'm planning to jump to the Note 8 for a few months before jumping again to the X.

I was a hardcore Android fan for years during the iPhone 5-iPhone 7 era (Note 4 may be my favorite phone in my lifetime) but in all honesty, despite the horrible looking homepage, horrid file management system, and complete lack of customization I think I prefer iOS now. iMessage by itself is leagues beyond anything Android can offer and the majority of the apps I use (mainly social media) have a much better looking interface than on Android.

That being said, Samsung phones are aesthetically more well-designed than Apple's now. I've never been a fan of the standard S line, but as of the S7, it's upped its game tremendously while Apple's design has remained stagnant and this new X is fine, but compared to something like a Note 8 or S8, it doesn't stack up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The phones have the same size screens. Yet, on the S8, the uncropped video goes all the way from the left of the screen to the right. It uses the full width of the display, leaving very small black bars on the top and bottom of the screen (of the landscape image) in a typical 21:9 movie. If you choose to use fit-to-screen, you will get a full uninterrupted image with light cropping.

On iPhone X, if you choose to go uncropped, you will need to at least black out the part of the display with the notch, which - as a side effect of making essentially a less-wide display through this - will make bigger black bars on the top and bottom (of the landscape image). You are getting an all-around smaller image, and from a design perspective it's going to look worse, because you are getting an image that is shifted to the right rather than symmetrical. If you choose to use fit-to-screen, you will get an image with light cropping as well as a notch on the left.

I don't care about symmetry - lots of the mockups are simply cutting across the top of the notch to create one top bezel. That would create a lack of symmetry across the entire phone.

Video is being used as an example of entire phone usage, when really it is just one use case that has a poor demo (which I do hope they address). I would want it to zoom to the edge of the notch, and black out the ears (and remove the status icons to avoid distraction). Then if I want to zoom in further to fill the screen, it still doesn't go beyond the notch.

However, in most other apps - web browsing etc - I think the notch is fine. You get that symmetry by having at least some of the screen background reaching fully top to bottom, and the reality is that most apps will only paint to the bottom of the notch - the ears will still be the system icons, just with app-coloured background. This will give a nice appearance of a full screen display without affecting day to day use at all. You get more usable screen because you don't have that thin status bar reaching across the top of the screen

McLovin

Eh I was a android fanboy for the longest. And Apple has made some shitty anti consumer decisions in the past(16gb iPhones being one of them) but their OS is on point. Everything just works, it's almost enough to look past all the obvious ripoffs Apple has done over the years. Also they usually end up executing whatever they take better then the competition.

Maedre

Banned
On the Day where I can Update my four year old Samsung Phone with the newest Android OS, Samsung is able to out-apple Apple.

eizarus

Banned
Eh I was a android fanboy for the longest. And Apple has made some shitty anti consumer decisions in the past(16gb iPhones being one of them) but their OS is on point. Everything just works, it's almost enough to look past all the obvious ripoffs Apple has done over the years. Also they usually end up executing whatever they take better then the competition.

Sometimes I feel like my family are the only ones to have bad buggy iPhones. Their OS was ahead by miles for a long time, but nowhere near the flawless miracle people make it out to be by regurgitating Apple's "it just works" line.

BaasRed

Banned
I vowed to avoid Samsung after I used the S4. S8+ looks so good, reviews so good that I bought it 2 weeks back.

And It is awesome. The screen, speed, size is great. All the bloat is greatly reduced.

I was worried about the Note 8 for the exact same reason. Thnx for the info 😄

Owari

I had an Edge S6 for a year and I have no idea what that edge on it was about? Why did I even buy it when there was a flat edge version available? I was stupid.

It has two design/usability mistakes:
1) the edge phone is unusable when your skin (fat below your thumb) will touch the edge if the phone has no cover. This will result in accidental presses.
2) the uses for the edge are limited and required multiple swipes to work (e.g. Getting the clock/weather to pop up

Samsung also is slower in use and more bloated compared to an iPhone because it is not optimised correctly. In essence it has way more freedom which I really liked but is not as smooth experience as an iPhone.

And yes, the Samsung logo sucks. They should redesign something simple.

Exactly this. The edge display seems like a functionality nightmare. Always accidentally hitting the sides. What's the point?

On the Day where I can Update my four year old Samsung Phone with the newest Android OS, Samsung is able to out-apple Apple.

Not even a 4 year old Google device can update to the latest version of Android.

Infact, can a 4 year old iPhone legit update to the latest version of iOS?

Owari

While I can say that many iPhones have been great looking or at least had certain great design features, I feel that you are far too biased to have an opinion on Android phones. The mere fact that you say they can't figure out minimalism when pretty much every high-end phone has a very minimal design says it all.
They can't even figure out how to center their backs on the samsungs.

Not even a 4 year old Google device can update to the latest version of Android.

Infact, can a 4 year old iPhone legit update to the latest version of iOS?

iOS 11 is coming to:

iPhone X
iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone SE
iPhone 5s - released in 2013

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
The Galaxy S8 is a beautiful phone as well but in the end it's a Samsung phone. The only Samsung phone I wasn't disappointed to own was probably the Note 4. Note 7 was great but yeah. The X is my next for sure but I wouldn't complain if I got a free Note 8.

You've experienced two good Samsung phones, so what is the problem?

you need to try the 8 buddy

VoxPop

You've experienced two good Samsung phones, so what is the problem?

Well considering that's out of the GS2, 3, 6, 7e, 8 (short period), GNexus, Note 2, 4, 7 and hell even the Samsung Instinct.. I'd say I'm an Apple fanboy to an extent but I usually give all phones their due diligence before judging them.

The Faceless Master said:
you need to try the 8 buddy

Yeah I absolutely want one and think it's prob Sammie's best phone yet but I can't justify 2 smartphone purchases within 2 months haha. Maybe when it gets a price drop or if I completely fail during the X preorder.

Loxley

As far as aesthetics, I loved the Sharp Aquos Crystal from a few years back (I think it was a Sprint exclusive). They managed to go almost completely bezel-less before it was cool. Shame it never took off, apparently it was a pretty decent budget Android phone.

VoxPop

As far as aesthetics, I loved the Sharp Aquos Crystal from a few years back (I think it was a Sprint exclusive). They managed to go almost completely bezel-less before it was cool. Shame it never took off, apparently it was a pretty decent budget Android phone.

I finally got to play with one of those and that thing is THICK and slow. Really wish the Mi Mix had all the bands.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Reposting

ZL
35567073.jpg

vs

83% screen ratio X
8pmSKlU.jpg

/snigger

EDIT: Now that I've read the previous page and think I understand your point, I think you're giving Sony way too much credit. We've all agreed that bezels need to get smaller since the beginning of the smartphone. That ZL is nowhere close to what Apple achieved with the X, even if you don't like the design.

Kyoufu

It would make more sense then to go for LG V30, Mi Mix 2, Note 8, etc? Unless your criteria is "phone must have 'x' in its name..."

I recently bought a Macbook Pro so I want to take advantage of whatever synergy it offers with the phone and I want a change from Android as well, otherwise I'd go with the Samsung S8, yeah.

Strakt

Reposting

ZL
35567073.jpg

vs

83% screen ratio X
8pmSKlU.jpg

/snigger

I honestly can't tell what the point of this post was. Is to make the ZL look good or the iphone look good? I'm guessing its to make the iphone look good because the ZL has so many negative aspects including its below average battery life. A good comparison would be s8 vs x since both phones are good.. it would just pretty much be based on the preference of operating system.

Why exactly are Apple processors so disproportionately more powerful than even the very fastest chips used in other smartphones?

Why exactly are Apple processors so disproportionately more powerful than even the very fastest chips used in other smartphones?

They build on 1 ecosystem and a handful of phones so it's easier for them to optimize it. Also Qualcomm don't really give a shit because they have so many patents and most smaller companies need to use their processors so why bother? The Kirin 970 is probably the most powerful android based chipset which will be out in the fall. It will be relatively close to the A11.

BriGuy

That inch of border at the bottom kind of torpedoes any claims of being "bezel-less." That's like the omega bezel. The evolved form of bezel, bezellum. Super bezel blue.

kattlauc

Neo Member
I recently bought a Macbook Pro so I want to take advantage of whatever synergy it offers with the phone and I want a change from Android as well, otherwise I'd go with the Samsung S8, yeah.

Didn't Apple just remove this "synergy" as every device now should be "its own"?

I like how the OP apparently chose the worst screen of the X they could find and compared it to Samsungs with empty, nice background images. I will agree though that the Control Center in iOS 11 looks like something from an open source project. There's some nice aspects to 11 though, especially the animation and more fluid integration with gestures.

Byproduct of chip manufacturer and software design working in tandem. Androids are a bunch of off the shelf parts thrown together, generally.

Also, the A11 is completely designed by Apple's own chip designers this year, and judging by the specs they might be the best chip designers in the mobile game at this point.

Top Bottom