• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the PS4 surpassed the previous three consoles in terms of quality? (Answer: no.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossoneR

Banned
Just no.

- tlou
- demons souls
- mgs 4 + mgs collection
- uncahrted 1-3
- gt5+ gt6
- kz2
- resistance 1-3
- valkyria chronicles
- yakuza 3,4,5
- infamous 1+2
- gow3+ ascencion+ all gow remasters
- crack in time
- motorstorm
- warhawk
- journey
- heavy rain
- ico+ sotc best version....

Franchises nad stuff( souls, bioshock, arkham games, portal, rdr, gta 4+5, ME, vanquish, rising...)

ps2 s on another level.

Davide

When a third of your list is comprised of remasters and re-releases, you know it's a stretch. It would be all too easy to compile a similar list for the other Sony systems.

It's about comparing the library and I'd say PS4 easily has a better one than PS1, PS2, and PS3. And we're still only three years in.

Gaming is one medium that gets undeniably - at least I thought undeniably - better with time. I've gone back to my favourite games of past gens and found they've aged horribly and that my memories of them were much better than they actually were. And there is nothing on PS1-3 as good as The Witcher 3.

It's about comparing the library and I'd say PS4 easily has a better one than PS1, PS2, and PS3. And we're still only three years in.

Gaming is one medium that gets undeniably - at least I thought undeniably - better with time. I've gone back to my favourite games of past gens and found they've aged horribly and that my memories of them were much better than they actually were. And there is nothing on PS1-3 as good as The Witcher 3.

I personally think if collections of last gen games count then backwards compatibility is also fair game. Especially when some of the remasters are... Less than ideal.

That aside, I simply don't feel the same way you do. Which is fine, just a matter of opinion. But I really don't feel that newer necessarily means better, and some genres are just plain neglected these days. There's no racer on PS4 I'd rather play than Burnout 3. No fighting game Id rather play than Capcom vs Snk 2. No rhythm game Id rather play than Um Jammer Lammy. No shmup id rather play than R-Type Delta. No mini game collection more appealing than Bishi Bashi. These are the kinds of things I take into account when weighing up a library. So while action games like FPS are way ahead on PS4 compared to the other Sony machines, there are huge gaps in the library mainly as a consequence of a stupid amount of studios from the PS1 and PS2 days closing down.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
In terms of JRPG offerings that I like. 4 > 3

ActWan

No way, it's been over 3 years and it's already 2017 and we have yet to see one single Gran Turismo and God of War and after 3 years we got our first Naughty Dog game (Not counting remasters here). There is just no way it'll surpass PS3 (or any other Playstation), it just takes so much longer to make games now. I honestly only expect one more ND, GG, Sucker Punch game on PS4, they'll get ready for the PS5 launch after that. Same with the other 1st party devs. If we're lucky we'll see one mainline Gran Turismo on PS4 but it wouldn't surprise me if GT7 is a PS5 title instead.

I'm not talking about variety and objective stuff, only personal preference.
Quality for quantity I guess...let's see how all the upcoming games turn out.

2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Is how it will most likely end up. PS3 still has a ton of gems but I expect PS4 to outdo it looking at its upcoming lineup and potential.

It's yet to even come close to surpassing the PS3 library let alone the other 2. I mean, so far a decent chunk of its library IS PS3 games so how can it have surpassed it yet?

Holy hyperbole, Batman! xD~~

Not. Even. Fucking. Close.

I could see it surpassing the PS3's library eventually, maybe, but it will never touch the PS1/PS2 libraries. They had more good games releasing every quarter than the PS4 gets in a year.

That's not true at all.

MGS5 might be one of the worst MGS console titles... and it's still an amazing game (which is to say how high the bar is for MGS)

MGSV is the best one, easily.

Melchiah

In terms of all time classic games and (obviously) genres and niches that aren't being served today, PS4 generally can't compare

As far as games that I regularly want to be playing right now in 2017, PS4 is hard to beat

What genres and niches are missing this gen? Indies offer what big titles don't, and what mid-tier games used to offer before.

Rathorial

I'd say the PS4 is an improvement over the PS3 that took longer to get started, and for its first few years had some lackluster performing multi-plat titles before devs got used to Cell.

That said, I've bought far less games on PS4 than the first 2 consoles. The reason is that the first 2 consoles were so strong for what you couldn't get anywhere else in gaming. Quite a few 1st, 2nd and third party exclusive content.

The PS4 just doesn't have much of that. I've bought maybe 2-4 games on it a year, though 2017 might bring it up to 5. Nintendo and Microsoft have had similar issues for me. Objectively I have less exclusive content to choose from because most stuff is multi-plat, and we're seeing 1st party big games take longer to develop.

So right now my PC gets constant use, while my PS4 collects dust for sometimes months as I wait for the next title. I mainly gamed on PC back in the PS1-2 days, but those machines got more use.

pager99

People seem to think exclusivity matters un this argument sure ps2 had alor of rgird party exclusives but that doesnt make them better gamrs or more valid than multiplatform games on ps4 so when I look at games on different ps platforms that point is mute a good game is a good game regardless of exclusivity
For me though its 3>4>2¿1

It's not just the quality, it's the quantity.

We got 3 Final Fantasy games, 2 Kingdom hearts, 3 GTA's, 2 GT'S, 2 Metal Gear's, 3 Devil May Cry's, 2 Silent Hills.

it's surreal to expect that now the PS2 was on a different level, most of these games were released within the first 4 years think about that 3 GTA's in 3 years. I'd be shocked if we see a GTA 6 this gen, I genuinely feel sorry for younger gamers the sheer variety, quantity and quality was unparalleled during the 6th gen, call me a cynic but the industry is so much less exciting now sorry OP but PS2>>>>>>>>>>>PS1>>>>>>>>>>PS4=PS3
That;s the thing though. Japanese AAA games then >>> now by a big margin. But I'd say now western AAA >>> then. There's been a flip. I don't think it will hit PS2's level since it's the undisputed GOAT, but it will def beat PS3 soon and it has a chance to outdo PS1 as well. :\

and that's coming from a jRPG fan, which the PS1 was shitting on a regular basis.

Melchiah

Just counted the games I've played during all four generations...

PS1 - 23 games in 2½ years (bought the system in May 1998)
PS2 - 32 games in 7 years
PS3 - 61 games in 6 years (29 physical, 32 digital)
PS4 - 40 games in 3¼ years (12 physical, 28 digital)

So, the current gen has offered me more to play than PS1+2 did, and is on its way to top the PS3 as well.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I remember when I had to pay an annual subscription fee to play socom ps2 online.

Oh wait no I didn't lel

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think it has a slight chance of catching the PS3, since that had very few good exclusives, but it stands no chance against the awesomeness of the PS1 and PS2-libraries. No chance.

GOOCHY

The PS1 had such a massive amount of software that was revolutionary at the time. I just can't see the PS4 being that kind of system. Don't get me wrong - it's by far the best Playstation since the PS2 but it's not quite revolutionary. I do think they would be well served to bring more access to PS2 and PS1 classics on the PS Store. The more Playstation history you can bring into the store the better.

From "Where are the arcade racers?" thread of 2016:

I actually have a lot of those games (on PC) and there are some great releases, but so far nothing I'd put above Ridge Racer or Burnout. To be fair, the released games aren't attempting to be like that and there are promising games in development, but it's a genre being serviced almost entirely by indie games which are (generally) lacking in budget, content and polish compared to games of this type from previous generations.

They've picked up a lot of the slack from the missing mid tier development studios, but not all of it!

Melchiah

I actually have a lot of those games (on PC) and there are some great releases, but so far nothing I'd put above Ridge Racer or Burnout. To be fair, the released games aren't attempting to be like that and there are promising games in development, but it's a genre being serviced almost entirely by indie games which are (generally) lacking in budget, content and polish compared to games of this type from previous generations.

They've picked up a lot of the slack from the missing mid tier development studios, but not all of it!

Personally, I'd put Driveclub over both of them. There's been a shortage of futuristic arcade racing on consoles, but luckily Redout and WipEout Omega Collection will correct that. The latter is on the top of my list, since I never got to play 2048, and it's great to have HD Fury in an even better form.

cdunson

Neo Member
Nothing on PS4 is as awesome and fresh as Demon's Souls was, exciting as the first Uncharted was, or as pitch-perfect as The Last of Us was.

We have some great games on PS4, no doubt, but, it still has a ways to go to beat the PS3 for me. I honestly don't know if it's possible.

Mic drop

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
PS2 > PS1 > PS3 > PS4

Being a PS4 only owner this gen is like I imagine being a Nintendo only owner since the N64 has been; long dry spells with no games I would even bat an eyelid at.

Melchiah

Being a PS4 only owner this gen is like I imagine being a Nintendo only owner since the N64 has been; long dry spells with no games I would even bat an eyelid at.

If you're a single system owner, you're playing multiplatforms on it, which you wouldn't have been able to do on Nintendo's systems. I've played 40 games so far, so there has been no shortage of games to play.

Combichristoffersen

If you're a single system owner, you're playing multiplatforms on it, which you wouldn't have been able to do on Nintendo's systems. I've played 40 games so far, so there has been no shortage of games to play.

Yeah, I was just comparing the feel of having nothing I care about coming out. Discounting digital games (as I cant't be arsed to turn on my PS3 and PS4 to count them, and I don't like buying digital anyway), I have 51 disc-based games for PS3, and a measly 14 for PS4. This gen is just really dry for me, but at least Nier: Automata is coming next month, and the Crash and FF XII remasters later this year.

Melchiah

Yeah, I was just comparing the feel of having nothing I care about coming out. Discounting digital games (as I cant't be arsed to turn on my PS3 and PS4 to count them, and I don't like buying digital anyway), I have 51 disc-based games for PS3, and a measly 14 for PS4. This gen is just really dry for me, but at least Nier: Automata is coming next month, and the Crash and FF XII remasters later this year.

You can also check them on PSNprofiles website, if your privacy settings allow it.

It's surprising to hear about nothing being of interest, since the game library is packed with all kinds of games, big and small.

I've been buying digital games more this gen. Half a dozen of them from the holiday PSN sales. Only 12 of my current gen games are physical. Now I'm thinking about cancelling the retail pre-order of Horizon, since the special digital edition includes concept art as well. That, and soundtracks, have swayed me towards physical before. It's just more convenient to go digital with games you're going to play for long periods.

thuway

You will never ever again in history see any single platform retain the exclusives mixed with quality that PS2 had. It was a different time, budgets were much lower, and Sony essentially ruled the world.

That said, for PS4 to be in the position it's in is quite amazing.

Personally, I'd put Driveclub over both of them. There's been a shortage of futuristic arcade racing on consoles, but luckily Redout and WipEout Omega Collection will correct that. The latter is on the top of my list, since I never got to play 2048, and it's great to have HD Fury in an even better form.

Drive Club isn't arcadey enough for me. May as well be a sim racer as far as I'm concerned!

Papacheeks

Banned
It's yet to even come close to surpassing the PS3 library let alone the other 2. I mean, so far a decent chunk of its library IS PS3 games so how can it have surpassed it yet?

Some Hyperbole right there.

The past 2 years have been filled with some amazing New IP's, reimagined franchises, and sequels that have really had the greatest of send offs.

So no. PS3 had a great library no doubt it also ran for 7-8 years, while this gen has run for over 3.

And we still haven't even got our first game by rockstar yet. GTA V doesn't count since it's a re-release, but seeing as RED DEAD 2 is on the way looks like it's going to be banana's for the end of 2017 and beginning of 2018.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I believe so. People overhype the ps2 too much.

The real problem is that in order for any new console to compare to the all mighty ps2, Japanese developers who left Capcom, Bandai Namco, and Konami would have to return to those companies and make sequels to all those well known ps2 franchises and release them all in the same year(since everyone likes to post that 2001 image). You'd also need EA reviving EA Big, Rockstar releasing 3 gta games per generation and Socom to return to glory. Because of this unfair and impossible task it doesn't matter how many new and awesome games and franchises ps3 or ps4 devs throw at consumers, it will never measure up to them because such a situation to equal ps2 in their minds would have to be lightning in a bottle.

Melchiah

Drive Club isn't arcadey enough for me. May as well be a sim racer as far as I'm concerned!

I got to disagree, since I don't like racing sims, but I love Driveclub. No sim feels the same, or has ever given me such a sense of speed. There's also no needless tuning.

Motorstorm storms over driveclub. I really hope codemasters let's evolution make a spiritual successor. In hardware, the foliage, mud and physics should come along nicely nicely.

Melchiah

Motorstorm storms over driveclub. I really hope codemasters let's evolution make a spiritual successor. In hardware, the foliage, mud and physics should come along nicely nicely.

Not for me. Hated the rubberbanding in the first, which is why I skipped the second. Played the third when it came available on PS+, but it just isn't as joy to drive as Driveclub is.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No.

But I think it's on track to beat PS3. The only reason it wouldn't is because it might not last as long as the PS3 generation.

Pound for pound I am much happier with the PS4 lineup 3.5 years into the console than I was 3.5 years into PS3. I found the early part of that generation drifting away from what I loved about the brand, actually, but it feels like it's back to what I loved.

barit

PS2 had GTA as an exclusive for a long time. Think about it. GT to the motherf***er A. That franchise which now sells 75m. Nuff said

Not for me. Hated the rubberbanding in the first, which is why I skipped the second. Played the third when it came available on PS+, but it just isn't as joy to drive as Driveclub is.
Better tracks, fun physics and dc just didn't have that. The driving can be good but takes a lot of focus. First person view makes ms feel like a joy and that's one of the best for me.

I'd rather just play burnout or gt over dc but motorstorm fits nicely on its on for me.

Gurish

Will easily surpass PS3, maybe got a chance on PS1, but no way will it ever be better than PS2, no console will.

It will never reach the PSX. Only the SNES & Saturn are at that level.

PS2, probably never. PS3 maybe, that'd need a long hard look at both libraries. Feels like not yet, but eventually yes.

RedSwirl

2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Is how it will most likely end up. PS3 still has a ton of gems but I expect PS4 to outdo it looking at its upcoming lineup and potential.

This is what I think too. I think the PS4 library has already surpassed PS3 or will by the end of its lifespan. A lot of the strong Japanese console game development that faded during the PS3 years has come back on the PS4. It's not as strong as it was on the PS1 and PS2, but it's recovering.

I don't think the conditions will ever again exist for a single piece of dedicated console hardware to have more games developed for it than the PS2, or even the PS1. They each had thousands of retail games released for them, almost 4000 in the case of the PS2 if I'm not mistaken. The industry was just different back then.

Dedicated consoles, and really PlayStation, took up a much bigger chunk of the overall game market back then. Today a lot of that air has been taken up by mobile and PC, and console games are more expensive to make. Indie games are filling in the gaps on PS4 but probably won't reach the PS2's numbers. I don't think a console is ever gonna have a library like that on it again unless it either pulls from like three hardware generations of backwards compatibility, or the console manufacturer is far more open with who can develop on the system.

This is why people keep getting so pissed about PS2 BC on the PS4 -- the PS2 probably has the most valuable library of any game console. Not only is it absolutely immense, but it represents an era of refinement in 3D game design, containing a huge number of what are still some of the greatest games of all time. There is no way Sony or other publishers will ever be able to cover enough of the PS2 library through remasters and individual re-releases. Nothing short of full emulation with disc compatibility will even begin to cover it.

PS2 > PS1 > PS3 > PS4

Hell. The Fuck. No.

I was a Nintendo-only owner during N64 and Gamecube. There is NOTHING as bad as that was outside Nintendo consoles. Whole damn genres were basically missing from those libraries. The closest things to an RPG on the N64 for almost its whole lifespan were Quest 64 and something called Aydin Chronicles. Other than Smash, basically no arcade 2D fighting games between the SNES version of Street Fighter Alpha 2 in 1996 to the Gamecube version of CvS2 in 2003. Those dry spells made me buy and enjoy C and D-tier games. Only upside is that the N64 had kind of a lot of FPSs on it. Gamecube was a bit better but still pretty barren. Still only a handful of RPGs, massive gaps in the third party support everybody else got, and often the most inferior versions of multiplat games not because of the hardware, but because the devs just didn't give a shit. The Gamecube got like one game that even resembled a racing simulator: R-Racing Evolution, that game that was pretty much advertised based on some CG J-Pop model's tits.

Maybe my view of the PS4 is a bit skewed because I also have a gaming PC now, but if I only owned a PS4 I imagine I'd at least have shit to play. I wouldn't be dealing with massive gaps in third party support. There are actually RPGs and fighting games and racing games to play on the PS4.

Melchiah

Better tracks, fun physics and dc just didn't have that. The driving can be good but takes a lot of focus. First person view makes ms feel like a joy and that's one of the best for me.

I'd rather just play burnout or gt over dc but motorstorm fits nicely on its on for me.

Got to disagree again. The tracks are the highlight of Driveclub, particularly the point-to-point ones. It also offers a variety of tracks with its six locations, more than any game in the MotorStorm series offered. Hell, there are more PTPs alone, than there were tracks in total in any MotorStorm but Pacific Rift at launch. The added tracks were also given for free, including the last batch of city tracks.

I just love how you're constantly on the edge, when playing Driveclub. You can make it feel more relaxed by lowering the difficulty though.

EDIT: I feel the same way about the first person view in DC. It's an exhilarating experience to use it with supers and hypers.

Combichristoffersen

You can also check them on PSNprofiles website, if your privacy settings allow it.

It's surprising to hear about nothing being of interest, since the game library is packed with all kinds of games, big and small.

I've been buying digital games more this gen. Half a dozen of them from the holiday PSN sales. Only 12 of my current gen games are physical. Now I'm thinking about cancelling the retail pre-order of Horizon, since the special digital edition includes concept art as well. That, and soundtracks, have swayed me towards physical before. It's just more convenient to go digital with games you're going to play for long periods.

I'd probably attribute it to being a fan of specific series rather than genres. With Silent Hill, American McGee's Alice and Dead Space being dead, Final Fantasy having been wildly variable in quality post-IX (XII is the only one I liked out of X, X-2, XII and XIII), Uncharted being done (besides the upcoming DLC) and God of War and the next Wolfenstein taking its sweet time to come out, it's mostly dry spells for me.

Melchiah

I'd probably attribute it to being a fan of specific series rather than genres. With Silent Hill, American McGee's Alice and Dead Space being dead, Final Fantasy having been wildly variable in quality post-IX (XII is the only one I liked out of X, X-2, XII and XIII), Uncharted being done (besides the upcoming DLC) and God of War and the next Wolfenstein taking its sweet time to come out, it's mostly dry spells for me.

I can sympathize with that, since the last gen was a disappointment for Silent Hill and Final Fantasy fan, just like PS2 gen was a disappointment for Resident Evil fan (due to the exclusivity deal). Last gen was a disappoinment for the lack of horror in general, but luckily things are better now.

I used to follow series more before, but nowadays I look more into the genres, and I can't think of anything that would be missing there. There really hasn't been any lulls due to not having anything to play for me either.

The only thing I can think of that's been getting rare these days, which isn't really a genre, is big budget 3rd person action-adventures that are not open world. That's the one thing that peeves me, the open world fad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom