• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the PS4 surpassed the previous three consoles in terms of quality? (Answer: no.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, we are definitely not there yet. But I personally think it's ramping up to fight for a spot in the top 3 at least.

But in my heart of hearts nothing will top the PS1 for me. There's still part of me that believes Japan is STILL making weird ass random games that I'll find in some hidden part of a new demo disc someday.

It just caught up with WiiU in terms of great exclusives.
That's praise coming from me.

Yeah I agree with this honestly. Best thing about the Wii U has been it's huge variety of quality exclusives, PS4 is finally getting to that point now. Even if the PS4 ecosystem is obviously better in every way.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's yet to even come close to surpassing the PS3 library let alone the other 2. I mean, so far a decent chunk of its library IS PS3 games so how can it have surpassed it yet?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Not even close. This and future gens will forever lack the variety and levels of experimentation done in previous gens.

And MGS2 is better than 5.

It's odd, I find this gen much more mature in tone of games so for me, it's much better. PS2 had a lot of sporty/reaction/action games, not so many RPGs and mature themed story adventures...which is what I love.

And I reckon MGS5 is much better than MGS2, but MGS3 is better than both of them put together IMO :)

ScOULaris

Not. Even. Fucking. Close.

I could see it surpassing the PS3's library eventually, maybe, but it will never touch the PS1/PS2 libraries. They had more good games releasing every quarter than the PS4 gets in a year.

A.Romero

In terms of games I think it's not quite there. I'd wait until the end of the generation to be able to assess that as there is no guarantee that for example FF7: Remake is coming out on PS4...

For any other aspect of gaming yes, to me this is the best time to be a gamer, ever.

It's odd, I find this gen much more mature in tone of games so for me, it's much better. PS2 had a lot of sporty/reaction/action games, not so many RPGs and mature themed story adventures...which is what I love.
And I reckon MGS5 is much better than MGS2, but MGS3 is better than both of them put together IMO :)

That's not the case at all, there's dozens upon dozens of RPGs as well as mature games on PS2. Way more then on PS4.

bigol

Surprised at how many people think Ps4 is not even close, even compared to Ps3.

I am enjoying this gen on Ps4 much more than the last one.

massucci

Banned
Surprised at how many people think Ps4 is not even close, even compared to Ps3.

I am enjoying this gen on Ps4 much more than the last one.
Indeed I think ps4 it's quite close to ps2. Indie weren't even a thing on ps3, from what I remember.

ethomaz

Banned
Mod did the job ;)

Indeed I think ps4 it's quite close to ps2. Indie weren't even a thing on ps3, from what I remember.
For me PS2 >> PS1 > PS4 > PS3.

PS4 need to reach PS1 delivery to start to think in PS2 (PS2 in one year delivered what PS4 delivered the whole gen).

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It's hard to compete with that PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/Gamecube era. It's the right mix of quality, variety and simplification.

Hung_real

As a whole, Its not quite there yet.

But this past 2 months has been godly with Yakuza 0, Nioh and GR2. I literally can not wait for Horizon and Persona to round off this amazing 2017 first quarter.

No chance in hell. The PS4 has great third party support but the number of worthwhile exclusives is pitiful when compared to the PS1/PS2/or PS3. Hell, for as short of a lifespan as it has had, the Wii U had far more 1st party exclusives. If it weren't for Uncharted 4, I could have just settled for a Wii U and a gaming PC for the past few years instead.

The only game on PS4 I would consider amongst my best ever so far is Rocket League... Possibly Bloodborbe. I really liked UC4, TLG and games like Yakuza 0 have been far better than expected. But they're not quite in that upper echelon. We will see soon where Nioh, Nier and Horizon stack up.

PS2 had masterpieces coming out every few months. There's about 20 games I could name there. Same for PS1

PS3 took awhile to ramp up but by the end of the gen there were about a dozen games I could add to that list

This won't be worth judging until the end of the gen. PS4 has a huge few months and an even bigger lineup in the near future. The lineup reminds me of the sheer quantity of exclusives PS2 would barrage us with. But that will probably be the exception rather than the rule

It's yet to even come close to surpassing the PS3 library let alone the other 2. I mean, so far a decent chunk of its library IS PS3 games so how can it have surpassed it yet?

LMAO what is a decent chunk to you?

Ps3 was on the market 8-9 years, comparing the libraries now is asinine.

Surpassed the PS3? Hell yeah.

Surpassed PS1 and 2? Waaaayy too premature to even begin contemplating that. There are very few consoles that can be seriously debated as being better than those two.

The PS2 had practically any game you could imagine on it not to mention the high amount of exclusives while PS4s library is pretty much shared with PC and sometimes xbox

... dude.................

It's still the worst. EASILY There is nothing more to say.

What? PS1 is ahead of PS3 and we won't even talk about 4 being close.. Do you even realize where the best Twisted Metals, wipeouts, MGS and Tomb Raiders are? I won't continue on but games were made quicker and just a ton of amazing stuff on ps1. TLOU, Journey are decent games but they aren't the best games on PS3 even.

LOL

AudioEppa

Honestly I don't focus on if it's "better then gens before' I'm just enjoying the quality of some games we have now.

Can't let myself get caught up in how much I loved the ps2 days. I will say this. PS3 and 4 have something in common where the games I really want to play are more spread out. Where on PS2 it felt like they were released more frequently, at least that's how I feel like I remember them being. The AAA/AA third person action adventure output was at a all time high for me. Now the industry wants shove a lot more first person and other type of shit. Yeah a few of them I may like. But this is why I love studios like naughty dog so much because they continue to keep making, and at high quality the type of games I enjoy.

Spman2099

I think this last month could maybe make a case for one of the strongest months in the companies history, but they are still very far from surpassing the library of the PS1 or PS2. That being said, if they keep having killer years, they may do it. I somehow doubt that any console will ever release as many killer games as the PS1, but the PS4 has a lot of momentum and they could possibly make a run for it.

PS4 kool-aid has really gone around.

It is probably because of how incredibly packed with amazing games the last two months have been. There has been no room to breath. I am sure once things slow down people will get a hold of themselves and come back down to earth.

guyssorry

PS3? Yes. PS4 is infinitely better. PS1/2? Not even close. However, times are different, fewer games are coming out, etc. but I still think the PS4 is doing reasonably well, library-wise.

massucci

Banned
I didn't own any PS consoles until 2006. I owned nothing but Nintendo and Sega systems up to that point (and an Xbox that I didn't use much).
What I'm trying to say, this generation it's far away to be the worst like the most thinking and it's not that distant to the best ps generations. We can argue about the whole quality offer to the games industry but the real problem is, times are completely changed and it has nothing to do with the console hardware companies. Games are drastically more expensive and a way longer to develop, we can't pretend to have the same quality with the same quantity of the past. I don't think it's even a fair comparison.

Fredrik

No, and it never will.
It takes too long to make a game these days so PS4 will never receive as many awesome titles as the older Playstation's.

pswii60

The PS2 didn't have PSN going for it, and with that a complete lack of 2D platformers etc. PS4 definitely wins there. PS2 also struggled with PC ports which ran beyond shit on the platform.

But PS2 had such a diverse retail game library overall that it'll struggle to ever be beaten. PS4 is finally coming in to its own this year though, but PS2 had years like this every year.

MoonFrog

I think it is better than PS3, but that is not saying much in competition with PSX or PS2.

IDK. I didn't play many PS3 games and the ones I did tended to be disappointing. Moreover, I don't really feel the pull to plug holes in my PS3 ignorance, whereas to this day I feel pulled to play more PSX and PS2 games, even though I played a lot of those, both as a kid and as an adult already going back and filling in holes.

PS4 only recently became a console worth owning by the lights of my taste and interests, but I am enjoying it these past 2-3 months, more than I ever enjoyed my PS3.

Still, I think I'll end up with like 10-20 games on it, which is not competitive at all with PSX or PS2. And it is not like the games are of a higher caliber than PSX or PS2 games either.

IDK. I could be being unfair to PS3. I was in college during its later years (2009-2013), when it seems to have become more loved. MGS4 and RE5 also soured me on the device a lot. But still, there really aren't many PS3 games out there that I feel I must play, especially that I can't play elsewhere.

Mostly, a Playstation console lives and dies for me by Japanese third party support. Also enjoyed Sony platformers, TimeSplitters, Twisted Metal, etc. as a kid. When I am looking for Japanese games that I missed that generation, most of them are late PS2 games or DS games.

Crayon

If the landscape the console launches into is taken into account, then I can say the ps1 may never be topped. That first playstation was a complete revelation. A 486dx (then standard for gaming) pc at the time could cost more than your first car. Yet the ps1 could flip polygons at a rate that would embarrass even the first pentium. On top of that the library from day one was this unique and fresh whether you were coming from 16 bit consoles, exotic consoles, pc, amiga or arcade gaming. It was transformative.

ps2, 3 and 4 have been evolutions on the playstation concept. The ps2 being very conservative and competent, the ps3 being somewhat reckless and expensive, and the ps4 returning to conservative and competent.

In one sense the PS4 is the best quality because they've managed to keep the playstation going as a "general videogame player" despite refining it in 3 large jumps. On the other hand it's not like ps1 was. It would have to be so... different.... to do that. It would almost have to not be a playsation anymore.

Ps4 is more like a ps2 where it gets out of your way and there are a lot of good games coming out. The system apsires to nothing more than a discreet black game player
and shopping portal
. PS4 is good at that and manages to provide the features that users want in a console these days. Best quality? I dunno. Does it matter? Even if the ps1 was still the best quality, it's not like there's ps1 games coming out. If there were I would buy them, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom