• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the PS4 surpassed the previous three consoles in terms of quality? (Answer: no.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KORNdoggy

i own more PS4 games then i do PS3 and PS2. but that's more an argument for PS4 having a higher output rather then a better one.

Only 2 and 3 are worth playing though.

Not true at all. 4 is a very good game. It's just not a particularly good silent hill game since its so different from the rest of the series, and has only tenuous links to the mythology.

Origins was originally a psp game and this shows...it's not bad but it's limited in what it tries to do. Shattered memories is really divisive. I don't like the game, but some people swear by it.

KyleCross

I consider the PS2 the best platform of all time due to its library, but boy people have some rose-tinted glasses and make it out to be untouchable. The PS4 can definitely catch up or even surpass it given the right releases.

Blueingreen

Not to nitpick, but the ps2 got FIVE silent hill games on it, not 2 lol.

SH2, SH3, SH4, Origins, and Shattered Memories all got a release.

Well there you go, 5 Silent Hills in one gen. Let's ask Konami to see if we'll get one..oh yeah lol, 6th gen was insanity in the amount of games released.

kunonabi

Not true at all. 4 is a very good game. It's just not a particularly good silent hill game since its so different from the rest of the series, and has only tenuous links to the mythology.

Origins was originally a psp game and this shows...it's not bad but it's limited in what it tries to do. Shattered memories is really divisive. I don't like the game, but some people swear by it.

4 is a piece of shit regardless of the name on the box.

I consider the PS2 the best platform of all time due to its library, but boy people have some rose-tinted glasses and make it out to be untouchable. The PS4 can definitely catch up or even surpass it given the right releases.

This actually reminds me that there was something special about sitting a foot away from a small TV and playing games with a wired joystick. Gen 6 was the end of that.

LionPride

Banned
The PS2 alone had great games for their respective genres

Many games in people's top 20 of all time

Games that influenced the industry to what we have today

Games that are still wonderful to play today

PS2 stays at the top

jrush64

Banned
XV stacks up pretty well with XII and is definitely better than X-2, but X obviously is on another level. This gen the western teams are just straight up better than PS2's era though, then it was Japan running the show in many aspects.

Hellz no. XV isn't even better than any of the XIII games. X-2 and XII are so much more superior to XV, they aren't even playing in the same league.

OT, loool. PS4 library cant touch PS1, PS2, Gamecube library at all.

joms5

What?!?

No. I'm not sure if it can even surpass the PS1 or 2. Maybe PS3.

We don't have a Red Dead game yet. No new Grand Theft Auto. No God of War. We had 1 Uncharted game, 1 R&C game, an awful LBP... In fact now that i'm going through what we've had... the PS4 isn't close to greatness yet. Give it another 5 years and then we can talk.

Yeah, they really nailed the PS4 design, reveal, pricing and marketing. They really capitalized on MS's mistakes perfectly.

And boy did MS mess up. ME and my gaming buddies were super easy sales for MS after maining 360 last gen. All they had to do was be equal or close in power to PS4, at the same price and not do anything stupid (like the game licensing stuff they tried to pull initially) and we'd all still be Xbox gamers. Now we all either only have PS4s, or main PS4s and play all our online gamers there.

Nintendo was I said has became irrelevant really. None of my buddies have/had a Wii U or cares bout Switch. I have a Wii U, but it's a very complementary console that just gets used here and there. If I get a Switch eventually it will be the same--just a secondary box for the few Nintendo games I still love and some palette cleansers to play something different than I can find on PS4/PC/Indies.

Yeah, and even stranger is that MS is struggling to make up the difference with quality exclusives. PS3 took a serious beating for the first 2 years, but Sony's first party studios worked overtime to build an exclusive library, while the hardware engineers revised the system so that the price could be slashed. In the end PS3 has my largest personal game library since NES. There's not much reason to think MS is in a position to flex their first party development in the same way.

I haven't liked a Nintendo console since N64. I think their longstanding franchises are pretty stale, and they've struggled to make compelling new ones at the AAA level. To me, Switch looks like a lot of smart moves. I'm excited about the hybrid console/portable design, the hardware looks like something an adult might own. There's some weird decisions that might kill it (paid online, confusing controller situation, no conventional tablet functionality), but it's the first Nintendo console that remotely appeals to me in a long time.

timberger

Definitely been better than PS3 at this point. Maybe not so much the other two yet but it's been a fantastic games machine so far at the very least, no doubting that.

EGM1966

Hmm. I think this is another poor question at this point.

First and foremost you're comparing a console during its lifetime to the full lifetime of previous consoles, that makes no sense and is frankly a lousy basis for a comparison

Second, you're wording mixes up notions of quality and quantity. You talk about quality but then clearly refer to quantity in terms of size of library. You're mixing up the comparison points.

Thirdly, games take longer to make now, require more content in many cases (more detailed textures, etc) and given that speed of content creation arguably hasn't kept pace with this for bigger titles the number of titles almost certainly has to reduce over time

If we are talking quality what do you mean? Average review score? Critical reception? Sales volume?

Anyway all that said I kind of get what you mean and the answer is "probably not" or at least not at this point.

PS2 had huge library and a lot of very successful hits and huge software sales by dint of size of install base (which gives it a huge advantage as it's ahead of anything else) and the fact it's dominance also gifted it a lot of exclusives and made it the platform of choice for most developers.

The PS4 though I think is doing very well in terms of new IP mixed with old IP and very well reviewed and varied games.

PS2 has like 2 or 3 times as many good/great games as the PS4.

Very little chance it gets dethroned.

People don't seem to grasp what a juggernaut the Ps2 actually was. Off the top of my head there were 1800 RETAIL games released in the US, with 450 of those being exclusive.

The worldwide total was even bigger. No system was anywhere close to that before release and no system is touching it in the near future.

Zalman

I personally think it's getting close. By the end of its lifecycle I expect it to become my favorite PlayStation.

Metalmarc

No, to answer the question, but damn i'm having more fun this gen probably because i missed out on most of the ps2 gen cos of other interests, i missed out on one of the greats, but when i saw that last conference and crash was announced i was over the moon. Also this gen i have played some games, in series i previously not tried.

Having all the demos to download has been great like trying my first ever Final Fantasy World of & Nier (i wouldve never had any
Interest if not for the demo)

Sone full games i own

Witcher 3
Hitman - Love this game
Uncharted 4
Metal Gear Solid 5

Some games i own now where i never tried the previous instalments (except hitman, played the first few Hitman games)

Ask me again once this generation is finished. I wasn't calling the PS2 the best ever at the beginning of 2004 (which is the equivalent time point we're at right now), but it sure as hell was the best by 2008.

Muzicfreq

Banned
PS1.... At that age I was playing on any platform and since console gaming was more expensive than PC gaming I didn't have that many games... though we did have some great family fun playing on it.

PS2 BEST. tons of titles from skateboarding games to all sorts of other games of excellent quality and really tore me away from the PC gaming side.

PS3 half the generation I spent PC and not even interested... then I grew up and caved in and got a slim and started loving all the games that had come out and PS+ was an added bonus since I got lots of titles I wouldn't have been able to afford. Skate 3 was my most played

PS4 Fulltime gaming on it. annnd nothing too memorable to be honest except maybe Overwatch.
I like PS4 but it has had a rough first half imho.

Ask me again once this generation is finished. I wasn't calling the PS2 the best ever at the beginning of 2004 (which is the equivalent time point we're at right now), but it sure as hell was the best by 2008.

Yeah, and there's good reasons to believe PS4 will also hit its stride this year. We're off to a good start with Horizon. Looking at the calendar, this year is going to break my wallet if all the heavy-hitters meet their deadlines.

watdaeff4

Lol awesome mod edit to the title.

That said I think the PS4 is turning into an amazing console and for me when it's all said and done will likely challenge my favorite console of all time.
which is the SNES

Mega

Banned
Okay, but how do you feel about opinions? I played a lot of every console, way more of the PS1/2 than anything else, and I am really enjoying the PS4. Probably because I have more clear memories of it, but I definitely would say for me the order currently goes 2>4>1>3 though. It's been great so far.

Remembering all the fantastic games for the PS2 has reignited my fondness of the console, reading the thread has been really nice (Not so nice in places, but that is the internet!) and that's why we make them. For discussion. And I have absolutely no problem discussing my opinions and others opinions.

That's fine. A couple of my favorite systems are N64 and GCN but I know they fall way short of their respective rivals. I think the issue some people were having here is that a declarative statement was made in your OP, but actual reality goes completely against it. Otherwise I do respect your opinion that PS4 is your favorite system ever.

Lothar

Banned
I can't decide if failing to get my point across is my fault or yours right now, but you completely misunderstood the post. I only used OOT as an example because it's the first game that came to my mind to actually have a decent distance between releases. Comparing games a year apart like the person I initially quoted completely missed the point.

I thought you were using the different scores as an example of reviewers being more critical now. (When really, its an example of reviewers being too lenient today since a repackaged game got a extremely high score) if not, then disregard.

BriGuy

I don't think anything can or will surpass the PS1/PS2. They were the products of everything clicking exactly into place. Times are different now.

Yeah, and there's good reasons to believe PS4 will also hit its stride this year. We're off to a good start with Horizon. Looking at the calendar, this year is going to break my wallet if all the heavy-hitters meet their deadlines.

Yup, and if they play as good as they look, which thankfully Horizon is right now.

And to clarify: at the beginning of 04, PS2 was a great console, same as PS4 is now. But there was still so much more to come.

Novocaine

PS4 is really only starting to get good now. There have been some great games over the last few years but not enough to crown it over any of its predecessors.

Brix

Well PS4 has been great for me.
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
MGSV
Witcher 3
FFXV
World of final fantasy
Rise of the tomb raider
Nioh
RE7
Gravity Rush 2
Dragonball Xenoverse
Until Dawn
Infamous second son/First light
Overwatch
Dark Souls 3
Fallout 4
Black Ops 3
Battlefield 1
Doom
Ratchet & Clank
Arkham Knight.

That's a pretty good list. And then when add the upcoming games you got
Horizon zero dawn
Persona 5
Nier Automata
Red Dead 2
TLOU2
Nino Kuni 2
Detroit
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Mass Effect A
God of War
Destiny 2
Crash Remaster ect.

It beats PS3/360 in my opinion. Has the potential to surpass the PS1. And it's not Impossible to match the glorious PS2 lineup.

Spinluck

MGS5 might be one of the worst MGS console titles... and it's still an amazing game (which is to say how high the bar is for MGS)

MGSV is the only MGS that actually controls well and feels enjoyable to play. This is coming from a massive fan of the 3rd one. The franchise is often excused for its apparent weaknesses for some reason.

Begaria

With the releases coming this first half of the year, I can conclude in my personal opinion:

PS2 = PS4 > PS1 > PS3

PS1 had some of my favorite games, but I tend to add them into my PS2 library since the PS2 was Backwards Compatible. PS4 has some of my favorite games on it, getting sequels to the games I liked on PS3, and has some of the damn good PS2/PS3 games remastered (or re-released like Dark Cloud 1/2/Rogue Galaxy) on it, so I count those on PS4 as well.

It hasn't surpassed the PS2 for me at the moment, but I feel equally as strong about the PS4 as I did for the PS2.

Greddleok

MGSV is the only MGS that actually controls well and feels enjoyable to play. This is coming from a massive fan of the 3rd one. The franchise is often excused for its apparent weaknesses for some reason.

Preach! MGSV has set the bar for how 3rd person games should control. Everything else feels like a let down in comparison.

a916

Yeah, the previous iterations are very sluggish and weighted. Almost, but not really, tank controls.

Blam

Frankly nothing can compare to the life cycle of the PS2, that game had so many hits on it, and games that I would keep going back to play that there's honestly no way the PS4 could do it. Unless they release a new Jax, new Ratchet or remaster Deadlocked, do another Shadow of the Colossus. Another Sly Cooper, and a shitload of sleeper hits then maybe, but that's not going to happen.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't liked a Nintendo console since N64. I think their longstanding franchises are pretty stale, and they've struggled to make compelling new ones at the AAA level. To me, Switch looks like a lot of smart moves. I'm excited about the hybrid console/portable design, the hardware looks like something an adult might own. There's some weird decisions that might kill it (paid online, confusing controller situation, no conventional tablet functionality), but it's the first Nintendo console that remotely appeals to me in a long time.

As someone not interested in portables, I'm struggling to find appeal as it's clearly underpowered and over priced as a console, especially since I'd also want the pro controller.

I'll play the wait and see game with it for sure to see if they do any revisions with console only versions, or wait for a good deal/bundle/price drop before buying in if not to take the sting off playing for features I won't use.

I'd say it's very close to beating PS3 - probably will have surpassed it by the end of year.
As for PS1 & PS2 it's hard to say - nostalgia is a factor with those & the PS4 is probably not going come close in terms of fresh/innovative/'game-changing' games

On a personal level though I already prefer it to PS1/2. PS3 is still my favorite atm

RefigeKru

Banned
If at this moment in time we were blessed with either a Zone of The Enders 1+2 remake and/or Zone of The Enders 3 - this generation would instantly be better than all the previous
combined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom