• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatred - Reveal & Gameplay Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

I agree that GTA and Saints row lack the context for violence that this game has, and you're right about Manhunt. That was a poor example. I guess what I'm saying is that while some might find the context of the violence in this game distasteful, they have to understand that there are others more removed from gaming media that find the same distaste with GTA and Saints Row, regardless of context. While GTA doesn't (usually) provide incentive for killing civilians you can still do it at any time and on a large scale.
I'm not arguing for the quality of this game, I'm arguing that the people calling for bans on the product are out of line. They can exhibit distaste for the games context but they can't be asking for bans or censoring of it without coming of like a hypocrite at some point. I watched A Serbian Film and didn't like it at all, but it has a right to exist in its form without censorship.
Ah, makes sense. I hear ya.

Seems a little cringey with all that doom and gloom poetry in the beginning but I'm interested in getting a copy. I can see this helping me vent. Hopefully they don't try to take dialogue to serious and focus on improving the graphics a bit.

Om3ga

I'm not really for this game. I definitely wouldn't spend any money on it.

I don't think this is any different than any game out there. You are killing fictional characters in a fictional world, the only difference here is that instead YOU are the bad guy this time.

Would it be better if you were a war hero going through a terrorist camp? Or there was some justifiable reason for you doing the things you do? It's just a violent game. It's probably something they were making for themselves in their spare time and then decided to release it to the public.

It's not the first game you can kill innocent or unarmed people, it's just the first game based solely on that. If you played any GTA game and acted like a model citizen YOU are the 1%.

Also the Nathan Drake argument. In EVERY fight the enemy can shoot first. It's just a choice by the player to kill via stealth. The enemies also won't give up until you die and there is no avoiding killing them. You can't make it through ANY area without killing anyone and you can just argue that it's bad game design, but arguing Drake is a murderer is stupid. Sure he doesn't NEED these treasures, but he's a treasure hunter seeking the existance of rare treasure which have all had world dooming characteristics. Essentially saving the world.

EDITED: Oh yeah but if you want one section where you kill someone (or at least very significantly injure them) that is defenseless, you have the museum guards section.

If you're referring to the guard who's pulled over the edge, he swims away safely. Fully animated and all.

TheCrow

Not at all, I agree.

I would however question the motives behind the game itself.

True.

At the end of the day I like good games and if this is somehow good I'll play it. The destructible environment looks good but it'll have to do more. If not it'll be just like countless other games I ignore.

Millions of people do this.
Good thing it's all just men on the team who like to proudly present this piece of trivia on their main game's website.
I doubt a woman on their team would be happy with such a thing being passed around.

Also, are they jerking off to these pics in the office? How are they exactly keeping morale? lol

TheCrow

Good thing it's all just men on the team who like to proudly present this piece of trivia on their main game's website.
I doubt a woman on their team would be happy with such a thing being passed around.

Also, are they jerking off to these pics in the office? How are they exactly keeping morale "up"? lol

I think you are taking it more seriously than whoever made that website.

RK128

What a facile, shallow way of evaluating the praise worthiness of something. I'm sure you'll be the first person to applaud the devs who eventually make a pedo simulator under the guise of pushing the envelope.

Between the dozens of "this is just like GTA" or "hmmm, the CEO may be a reactionary racist but that shouldn't stop me from enjoying his game where I play a domestic terrorist" comments, I've never seen a thread on GAF that so neatly divides posters into people with common sense and the ability to interpret tone and context, and those who are easily swindled by bargain basement garbage like this masquerading as "pure entertainment."

:l

I mean, I just thought that it was commendable they are defending their own game even thought it is violent.

TheCrow

Still pretty unprofessional. I can't imagine anyone at Naughty Dog, Ubisoft, etc., putting that in their profile.

Me neither but this is a small independent studio so I can understand how they can be more carefree with how they portray themselves.

Wait, first some of you say that's totally normal to do in a workplace and is perfectly acceptable but now you say their main game's website should be taken as a joke or something?
First of all I didn't say it's totally normal. I'm not shocked that a small team would make a website and have some fun with their profiles. I guess I just think its not a big deal.

CHC

Are we really going so far as to judge the developers on what they look like?

Look I don't care what they look like frankly. I'm just saying that due to the fact they chose to advertise that A) they are an office of entirely dark-clad white dudes and that B) they like to pass around pictures of women to keep morale up, the chances are low that this game is being made in a self-aware or satirical way.

They can make what they want and do what they want, but when those are the things they choose to publicize about themselves then this is how they're going to be perceived. I'm sure a lot of offices pass around pics of women, whatever - everyone shits too, it's just not something you go around telling everyone unless you want to convey a certain image.

Melchiah

Bish posted this on the other now locked thread regarding the interview with the devs.

If you want context...

http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/...s-a-genocide-simulator-developed-by-neo-nazis

Hatred is not apolitical. In fact, the opposite is true - it’s a game about glorifying violent racism and white supremacy. Consider the game’s trailer, which conspicuously lingers on the white protagonist brutally murdering and mutilating people of color.

Just watched the trailer again, and there seems to be two asian victims, and at least one caucasian; the older bald-headed cop that gets stabbed. This kinda sounds like the RE5 controversy all over again. I dunno if the accusations about right wing allegiances are true, and if they are, does it necessarily have anything to do with the game itself? The guy singled out on the blog is a metal fan, and it's usual in the metal circles to adore darker things, ie. the skulls on his FB cover photo and he likes the death metal band Suffocation. Here's a verse from their lyrics...

Warfare, a promise to eliminate mankind.
The planet as we know it, taken by demented minds.
Warheads produced to exterminate the earth.
The sacrifice will lead us to our death, no rebirth.

...seems to go well with the game.

Handy Fake

Just watched the trailer again, and there seems to be two asian victims, and at least one caucasian; the older bald-headed cop that gets stabbed. This kinda sounds like the RE5 controversy all over again. I dunno if the accusations about right wing allegiances are true, and if they are, does it necessarily have anything to do with the game itself? The guy singled out on the blog is a metal fan, and it's usual in the metal circles to adore darker things, ie. the skulls on his FB cover photo and he likes the death metal band Suffocation. Here's a verse from their lyrics...

...seems to go well with the game.

tumblr_inline_ndkcw2Lb2V1r1namd.png

Polish Defence League, Right-wing and very dubious group.
The lad in the centre of the group photo is wearing a t-shirt with Right-wing linked imagery.
The use of the word "propaganda" when talking about their trailer.

The actual game itself.

No, it doesn't sit comfortably with me at all.

Micael

If you're referring to the guard who's pulled over the edge, he swims away safely. Fully animated and all.

Didn't knew that, I remember him falling from a ridiculous big height, are you sure it wasn't just the body floating XD. Either way thanks for clearing that up.

The guy singled out on the blog is a metal fan, and it's usual in the metal circles to adore darker things

Hey, don't bring metal into this. Even though a lot of metal is dark, there's a lot of it, even death metal, that's not like the nihilistic garbage this game is presenting itself as. And I don't think the "darker things" metal fans like usually include associating with a right-wing nationalist organization, hahah (although that does happen of course, but it doesn't excuse this guy).

I just saw the trailer, I cracked up half-way into the MC spiel. The game just seems comical rather than anything offensive.

Which part is comical? The innocent civilians getting brutally slaughtered while they scream "please no"? There's no hint of parody or satire in this trailer, shit's dark as fuck. I don't get what some of you ppl are talking about. Just because the main character sounds like Nathan Explosion doesn't make the game or content comical.

Melchiah

tumblr_inline_ndkcw2Lb2V1r1namd.png

Polish Defence League, Right-wing and very dubious group.
The lad in the centre of the group photo is wearing a t-shirt with Right-wing linked imagery.
The use of the word "propaganda" when talking about their trailer.

The actual game itself.

No, it doesn't sit comfortably with me at all.

Why single out the metal guy, if he wasn't wearing the political shirt? Because he has skulls on his cover photo? Hell, I've had a pic skulls from the visit to Paris catacombs as my cover photo as well.

Hey, don't bring metal into this. Even though a lot of metal is dark, there's a lot of it, even death metal, that's not like the nihilistic garbage this game is presenting itself as. And I don't think the "darker things" metal fans like usually include associating with a right-wing nationalist organization, hahah (although that does happen of course, but it doesn't excuse this guy).

I've been in the metal scene since the late 80's, and the majority of my friends belong to it as well. There's definitely a fondness towards darker things (ie. the skulls, things related to death in general), and the most of black metal is nihilistic.

Which part is comical? The innocent civilians getting brutally slaughtered while they scream "please no"? There's no hint of parody or satire in this trailer, shit's dark as fuck. I don't get what some of you ppl are talking about. Just because the main character sounds like Nathan Explosion doesn't make the game or content comical.

Well.. it's comical in the sense that the VO and writing is completely incompetent. I hope that's what Terareflection meant.

Corto

They're fine taking their money though.

Could Epic not sell the engine to them? It's a matter of registering on a site and download the software. The only EULA article that perhaps (I'm not a legal expert) could be used against these devs would be:

You agree not to engage in any activity that could tarnish, dilute, or affect the validity or enforceability of the Epic Trademarks or cause consumer confusion or diminish any goodwill relating to any Epic Trademarks. If you wish to make further use of the Epic Trademarks, please go to unrealengine.com/contact.

In the "diminish any goodwill relating to any Epic Trademarks" part. But I would think that would be very difficult to use as an argument to block them from buying the engine software. And Epic requesting to have their logo removed is already addressing this.

There's definitely a fondness towards darker things (ie. the skulls, things related to death in general), and the most of black metal is nihilistic.

Right, we're talking about affiliating with a nationalist, most likely racist organization though, not aesthetic preferences having to do with skulls.

At least I'm talking about that guy and not the shirt guy.

Accoun

Why single out the metal guy, if he wasn't wearing the political shirt? Because he has skulls on his cover photo? Hell, I've had a pic skulls from the visit to Paris catacombs as my cover photo as well.

Bacause he's the one that publically "liked" a hateful far-right group on FB.

Faded Dreams V

Neo Member
From a general standpoint, this trailer was, well, to be blunt, disgusting. Debates over the influence of video game violence stem from the actions of several real life mass murderers, and here we have a game centering around a character that perpetuates the very actions and mindset of the people who have made these controversies so prominent.

A lot of people here are quick to call others hypocrites because violence exists in many popular mainstream titles like GTA and CoD, but this is very different. One game's entire game design revolves around giving the player liberties to do what they want--this includes OPTIONALLY killing innocent people--while roleplaying as a gangster trying to unethically rise to the top by murdering enemies and stealing. The other game is a war simulator pitting players against terrorists who threaten their land. Hatred's entire premise is murdering innocent people who PLEAD for their lives for no reason besides the typical philosophical perspective of your average psychopath; its story is about a mass murderer who desires the genocide of the human race. Surely people can see the difference. In the end of the day, violence is violence, but not being able to spot the discrepancies here is like comparing an American soldier to Adam Lanza... which I'm sure many cynical people here will do.

From a game design point of view, the game looks very uninspired. Replace humans with zombies, and its just your typical zombie shooter. Its entire selling point is its shock value, unfortunately.

Melchiah

Right, we're talking about affiliating with a nationalist, most likely racist organization though, not aesthetic preferences having to do with skulls.

At least I'm talking about that guy and not the shirt guy.

Oh, I didn't realize the group in his profile was for that. Well, that explains better why he's singled out. It seemed to me, like he was pointed to as nazi just because of skulls and having a shaved head.

honestly this game and the reaction to it is pretty amusing because apparently gamers get really really pissed off when you remove the fig leaf that gives you a "legitimate" excuse to murder dozens upon dozens of people. Sure, Uncharted had narrative context! GTA is a satire! Hotline Miami has pixel graphics!

All this game does is take away that wink and nudge that says "oh we're totally not forcing you to go on murderous rampages but if you want to do that to blow off steam come right this way!"

the devs are pretty lol though

The main character reminds me of the guy from The Darkness. At least the first game's model. Anyway, the trailer is pretty grim and morbid. "My genocide crusade begins here" ? Yeah, no thanks.

EGM1966

Looks like an average game trying to go for notoriety to gain attention and presumably sales to me. Possibly whiff of some unsavory elements in the trailers.

I'd never ban something like this but I'd always view it as deliberately trying to be sensationalist for the sake of it (and money) and probably hiding behind claims of being provocative or "real" to boot.

Maybe comical in a sense that this game is trying way too hard to be edgy and controversial.

RK128

After seeing more of these developer profiles....I gotta withdraw my past comments; this game is starting to not sit right with me :(.

The developers themselves look off and after seeing more posts, it seems hes with a bad group now?

.....I guess the idea of the game is to promote their goal or something instead of making a fun game :(.

Sorry for being positive about this; didn't know their was a darker intent behind the game X(.

honestly this game and the reaction to it is pretty amusing because apparently gamers get really really pissed off when you remove the fig leaf that gives you a "legitimate" excuse to murder dozens upon dozens of people. Sure, Uncharted had narrative context! GTA is a satire! Hotline Miami has pixel graphics!

All this game does is take away that wink and nudge that says "oh we're totally not forcing you to go on murderous rampages but if you want to do that to blow off steam that option is available"

the devs are pretty lol though

Fig leaf? Really?

We're talking about moral, societal, cultural, ingrained barriers to committing acts of atrocity, and you want to distill the conversation with a straw-man fig leaf?

There's no nudge. Stories and situations depend upon context for interpretation; that is literally how humans experience the world. We approach all circumstances with those contextual barriers, and removing or ignoring them (like these developers) is what makes it wrong. It's inhumane, unnatural, and unnecessary.

Fig leaf? Really?

We're talking about moral, societal, cultural, ingrained barriers to committing acts of atrocity, and you want to distill the conversation with a straw-man fig leaf?

There's no nudge. Stories and situations depend upon context for interpretation; that is literally how humans experience the world. We approach all circumstances with those contextual barriers, and removing or ignoring them (like these developers) is what makes it wrong. It's inhumane, unnatural, and unnecessary.

I'm talking about videogames.

When the game renders the lethal wound in breathtaking fidelity, records the person's death cries with a professional VA, and hypes up the brutal combat in the trailers, the legitimizing reason to killing the enemy is a fig leaf.

A shitload of games are just violent power fantasies, and then try to justify the violence after the fact,

This game just skips the second step

After seeing more of these developer profiles....I gotta withdraw my past comments; this game is starting to not sit right with me :(.

The developers themselves look off and after seeing more posts, it seems hes with a bad group now?

.....I guess the idea of the game is to promote their goal or something instead of making a fun game :(.

Sorry for being positive about this; didn't know their was a darker intent behind the game X(.

This group...

Handy Fake

Oh, I didn't realize the group in his profile was for that. Well, that explains better why he's singled out. It seemed to me, like he was pointed to as nazi just because of skulls and having a shaved head.

Oh, Lord no. I'm a metaller myself. With a shaved head.

I'm talking about videogames.

When the game renders the lethal wound in breathtaking fidelity, records the person's death cries with a professional VA, and hypes up the brutal combat in the trailers, the legitimizing reason to killing the enemy is a fig leaf.

Those games think killing people is really cool, and justifies it after the fact.

This game just skips the second step

I think you're missing the point. Those are attempts at justification - Hatred has none. EVen if many games fail to justify well, those creators are aware and acknowledge the limits around us.

You're looking at a group of neo-nazi developers who recognize no such limitations.

I think you're missing the point. Those are attempts at justification - Hatred has none. EVen if many games fail to justify well, those creators are aware and acknowledge the limits around us.

You're looking at a group of neo-nazi developers who recognize no such limitations.

I'm saying the justification is a hilariously flimsy veneer. There's no getting around the fact that a good deal of videogames are built around a glorification of violence. Hatred is mildly refreshing in its honesty.

but like i said the devs are lol beyond belief

Are they actually confirmed to be "a group of neo-nazi developers" or are they a group of developers with some neo-nazi guys in it?

I'm saying the justification is a hilariously flimsy veneer. There's no getting around the fact that a good deal of videogames are built around a glorification of violence. Hatred is mildly refreshing in its honesty.

but like i said the devs are lol beyond belief

All of the developers of this game are Neo-Nazis?

http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/...s-a-genocide-simulator-developed-by-neo-nazis

Should have been clearer - a good part of the group has links to those groups. Should have been clearer. I am a person who tries to avoid any type of blanket statement, so apologies for not saying that initially. Seems guilty by association was on my mind.

But what makes it hard to avoid is exactly what the post says:

In fact, the opposite is true - it’s a game about glorifying violent racism and white supremacy. Consider the game’s trailer, which conspicuously lingers on the white protagonist brutally murdering and mutilating people of color.

I don't think it's a "hilariously flimsy veneer." The same thing applies to literature, film, etc.

Example: William Faulkner's Sanctuary involves a rape with a corncob. It's obviously meant to be despicable because of the context. You're essentially arguing the context is a veneer because Faulker conceived of the idea, came up with the proper words to describe the rape, and then constructed a scene around it.

EDIT: Gamers being complicit in the actions that occur is a complicating factor, but you're still assuming that we as gamers enjoy violent games because of the violence itself, not everything surrounding it. That's a large leap to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom