• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever felt uncomfortable playing a character of a different skin color?

Soodanim

Gold Member
When I see someone suggesting what this thread does, I'm confused, want to laugh, and almost want to feel sorry for people at the same time. Only almost, because it's so fucking ridiculous. Of course not.

I swear this is the second time I read an OP like this... and these are the only two times I've ever actually thought about it. In fact, I feel more uncomfortable when the character is of my skin (or nationality) because I'm afraid I'll be clichéd.

Two Words

I'm black, but I rarely ever make black characters in games. Why? Because most games have the worst tools for making a normal looking black guy. plus, you only get about 4 hair options for that race.

Zomba13

Nope. But I'm a white guy so most characters are white guys. But I did make my character black in Dragon Age Inquisition and that wasn't weird or odd at all. Didn't change how I play, didn't make me feel different, didn't make me connect any more or less to my character. He was still my character and my representation in the game world.

Hollycat

I play different race characters all the time, doesn't matter to me. My favorite player character in Skyrim was a Redguard Woman named Nalda.
In Dragon Age I usually play with white or Olive skin tones.
In Toukiden my character is dark skinned.
In Saints row I always play the same white girl (more or less)

I guess I tend towards white though.
I wanted to play as a black woman in Mass Effect on my third playthrough, but the voice just sounded too weird coming out of her.

No cuz any character I control is a character in the world of the game. The same goes for my custom made characters. I'm not into the whole putting yourself in the character's shoes and have them represent me type of thing.

Also they are pixels. They won't bite.

Madness

Not once. I honestly have trouble understanding the people who do. Probably some deep rooted issues themselves. I mean I wasn't here for the GTA San Andreas thread. But it's true, how can you say you relate to cocaine traffickers in 80's Miami but 90's gangbangers in LA is too out there?

I mean we can all play as Marston in the wild west of Red Dead and have the time of our lives, but all of a sudden a person of colour is the main character and it's I don't like him/her even without giving the game/character a chance.

Someone recently said it to me because I said I'd prefer to play as Chief, not Locke. That's different. I'm not against playing as Locke because I can't relate. That's laughable. I just wanted a main Halo game, about Chief's saga, for Chief not to be relegated to having lesser time. Why do I want to play as Fireteam Osiris over Chief? There's no issue with other characters when it's Reach, or ODST etc. One day Halo will move on without Chief altogether and that's fine.

Either way, I don't see why you can't relate to these characters. They all undergo the same human experience, the same emotions as all of us. Even psychopath rednecks like Trevor, we can see why he felt betrayed by Michael. We can all feel the aspirations of Franklin and wanting to leave his neighborhood behind and move up, who of us can relate to a middle aged married rich guy like Michael? But we do. We see his shitty family, his regrets.

Zaventem

This thread will be hell for whoever answers yes first. Me, no. Black guy. Been playing non same colored characters my entire life. Doesn't ever bother me.

Well as a black male, i think everyone else that likes playing games if you're a darker skin tone has to get used to it because it's the norm. I said a good while back that actually seeing a good amount of darker people in pokemon x and y felt weird to me because it's not something you actually see in games.

SigSig

I used to not like playing as races with weird skin colors (like orks, night elves etc.) but thats about it.
Never had a problem with natural skin colors and as long as I don't have a specific pop culture character in mind I'm recreating in character creation, I usually hit random, choose a preset, slightly tweak it and go.

Gr8one

Doesn't bother me in the least. I never even thought about it. Actually my Mii is brown and when I create a player in sports games I usually make them black, especially hockey. Need more brothers on the ice and I miss Mike "Rosey" Grier who was one of my favorite players growing up.

Raxus

Never. I actually subconsciously was playing more male characters than ones of a different race and have been making strides to change that if I have the option.

I always tell dudes who refuse to play female cogs in Gears "when doing the roadie run would you rather stare at Marcus's butt or Anya's? Awwwwwwwwww yeah."

For real though Bernie was best girl.

Edit: I just noticed my post had nothing to do with skin color. Instead of Anya how bout Samantha Byrne? There, post still relevant.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wtf is wrong with gaf tonight? First the horizon thread, now this? Who cares?! The character and personality are what immerses me- male, female, black, white, human, animal, alien, ghost... Who gives a shit? Are people just bored and trying to start controversy?

PillarEN

No. When playing a character I simply role play as that character. GTA SA came out just before I started regularly going for game info on the net. Never knew there was some distress over CJ. The game in the OP though is a little strange in that you cannot select how you will look even though it is always random right? I get the annoyance and would say it's a little different. Of course racists gonna racist or whatever.

Gren

Nah. And in games where you create your avatar, my top priority is always to use whatever assets provided to try and best re-create an established character from some other game (white, black, whatever) that I like as much as possible.

Onyar

Not yet, in fact I really hope some game will produce me that feeling.
And I would say that more than feel uncomfortable for the race I would feel uncomfortable for the feelings of the character or the status/rol of him. Something like reading ASOIAF.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Never factors in. I'm very white, but I'll play as whoever, so long as I like them. Franklin is my favorite of the three protagonists in GTA V, and that's just 'cause I like him more as a character than the other two.

And frankly, I'm still outraged that they took out Zasalamel from Soul Calibur, despite that he's immortal. The series' only black character, and they took him out. Gaahhh...

Mirroring other comments - as a black guy it doesn't bother me due to nearly all games having white protagonists.

Ironically though this means when given a chance (ie Mass Effect etc) I'll always use a game's character creation tool to try to make an approximation of myself where possible.

I don't think it's really self insertion per se, but it is enjoyable to play as a black character in a heroic lead role due to how rare the opportunity is.

I also find myself enjoying games with lead female characters for similar reasons

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nope. I actually tend to make brown characters if I'm given the option, and girls 2/3 of the time. I think I'm tired of all the characters being white guys.

Top Bottom