• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever given up on a game completely...at the final boss?

onimusha 1.

was burnt out playing the game straight. and i attempted to beat him a few times... just couldnt get it.. never ended up returning to it unfortunately. beat the other games though

I stopped at the final boss of dark souls. (I still have the intention to complete it).

The context is that my save is over several years (about 4!). I stopped for a long time when I couldn't use my save after the switch up from gfwl. I eventually recovered it. I was at the 3kings,and played through from there until final boss and then lost momentum again.

Another game would be far cry 1 (pc). Got stuck at some kind of corridor of death near the end.

Completely? Probably not. If I’m at the end of the game I want to see that ending.

Have I ever completely restarted the game and it’s prequel because i discovered I missed two items in the first game that not having (and not adequately grinding prior to the “last save”) prevented me from beating the game? Absolutely.

I beat arc the lad 1 and got through arc 2 back in high school 15 years ago now. I reached the final fucking boss, and discovered that no matter how I played and how “stingy” I was with my MP usage I couldn’t beat it. It was either grind hours (and HOURS) into the monster arena to supplement my poor levels (and I don’t think that would fix my lack of items issue)

OR restart the first game, clear it (for easier access to the bonus characters AND the 0 MP usage item) and then restart the second one.

So that’s what I did, and five years later (in my last year of college on a hacked PSP) I beat arc the lad 2. Why on a hacked PSP instead of a PS3? Well, the nature of the last boss, it had maxed stats, I could take down 1/2 his HP before all but 1 of my characters would die. That last character could not be killed. Using the 0 MP usage item, I could cheese the boss by casting his invulnerable skill (two turns of invulnerability to all attacks/Magic) and then physical attack (since none of his skills would do as much damage as his base attack).

But I did it. Still to this day the most I have ever done to beat a game. Hell I even tracked down the hardcover strategy guide to make sure I would do it right)

Van Bur3n

One of the Mario & Luigi RPGs. Forgot which one. But I just couldn't beat it. It was either the first one or Partners in Time.

Virdix

I was really young and I want to say it was Grandia 3 or Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (lol, I'll verify on my lunch break).

I came back later and used these wonderful things called "items" and beat it with ease.

Fake edit: it was Star Ocean

Real edit: I got lost in Rogue Galaxy as a kid in the twin towers. Came back for that later too.

Megatron

Zelda 2: the adventure of link. Couldnt beat shadow link and having to go all the way back to him over and over was really tedious. I finally beat him thanks to save states.

Myriadis

I gave up that game at the part where the game told you to go back through every level and find every ship part + tribal.

The game's fun and all, but fuck that amount of backtracking. That's the sort of thing that should be for completionists, not something that's mandatory to finish the game.

Yeah that was also BS. Half of them would've been alright, but every single one of them?

Dadasch

Wolfenstein the new order.

I just couldn't kill the boss when the place is burning down. I need to go back and do it but of all the hard bosses I have done i just couldn't do it.
Did that today and it seriously took me about half an hour.
Shitty design imo and lowering the difficulty is something I avoid at all costs so I had to do it.

qko

I left Cave Story unfinished at the final boss for almost a decade and just managed to finally wrap it up this year.

redcrayon

Completely? Probably not. If I’m at the end of the game I want to see that ending.

Have I ever completely restarted the game and it’s prequel because i discovered I missed two items in the first game that not having (and not adequately grinding prior to the “last save”) prevented me from beating the game? Absolutely.

I beat arc the lad 1 and got through arc 2 back in high school 15 years ago now. I reached the final fucking boss, and discovered that no matter how I played and how “stingy” I was with my MP usage I couldn’t beat it. It was either grind hours (and HOURS) into the monster arena to supplement my poor levels (and I don’t think that would fix my lack of items issue)

OR restart the first game, clear it (for easier access to the bonus characters AND the 0 MP usage item) and then restart the second one.

So that’s what I did, and five years later (in my last year of college on a hacked PSP) I beat arc the lad 2. Why on a hacked PSP instead of a PS3? Well, the nature of the last boss, it had maxed stats, I could take down 1/2 his HP before all but 1 of my characters would die. That last character could not be killed. Using the 0 MP usage item, I could cheese the boss by casting his invulnerable skill (two turns of invulnerability to all attacks/Magic) and then physical attack (since none of his skills would do as much damage as his base attack).

But I did it. Still to this day the most I have ever done to beat a game. Hell I even tracked down the hardcover strategy guide to make sure I would do it right)
With Arc the Lad II, I finished that last year without any bonuses from AtL, and found that equipping as many 'regen MP' items as possible, plus having multiple healers with area heals so they could take turns doing it while their comrades regenned MP, was the answer. Still took ages though. It's not that the battle is difficult, just that the boss has a huge hp pool and inflicts x damage per turn, so unless you can heal that damage you're going to lose.

With regard to the OP, SMT Strange Journey is the main one for me. It was my first SMT game so I didn't really know what to do in turns of builds, and could not defeat the final boss even after a dozen attempts, reworking my team and levelling up. Such a huge difficulty spike combined with 'party leader KO=game over', sometimes I'd be dead in 2 turns.

Hmm. I put down Final Fantasy XV at King Behemoth. I think I’m way underleveled but nothing is compelling me to finish. Story would be cool if it was told to me in a cohesive way, but it’s not. I never found the combat/magic stuff particularly satisfying. Felt a little out of my control.

I could go grind in the puppy’s crazy time travel dream, but I’m not sure if I will ever prefer to play FFXV rather than moving on to another game.

Unless there have been significant improvements since release...

Galang

Banned
The
genocide route
in Undertale. It just wasn't worth it. I actually gave up on
Undyne
after a few hours... Youtubed the rest of it and realized I made the right choice. No way I could do that without weeks or months of practice

Also Wizpig in the original Diddy Kong Racing. The Silver Coin challenge was brutal enough for me.. no thanks. Redeemed myself in DKR DS even though they made it dramatically easier >>

SkyOdin

I have a long history of making it to a game's final dungeon and then dropping the game for one reason or another. As far as stopping at the final boss, a couple occasions come to mind.

The first was Mega Man X4. It was one of the first PS1 games I owned, and I played it so much that I have practically memorized the entire game. It took me over a decade to finally beat it, simply because Sigma is really hard in that game, particularly compared to how easy the rest of the game is. I had to slowly build up my Mega Man skills by playing other games in the franchise first.

My first playthrough of Romancing SaGa for the PS2 also ended right at the final boss, for the same basic reason. The final boss of that game is really hard! My team just wasn't up to the task. I was planning on trying to grind up more and try again, but then my brother beat the game with his playthrough. I did beat the game later, but that was using a different playthrough with a different main character and new game+ data from my brother's run.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I beat Ridley and tried maybe twice to take down Metroid Prime but never came back to it later.

Raiden

Banned
I gave up that game at the part where the game told you to go back through every level and find every ship part + tribal.

The game's fun and all, but fuck that amount of backtracking. That's the sort of thing that should be for completionists, not something that's mandatory to finish the game.

And this. Some levels were too scary for me to go back to as a kid.

Surfside

Banned
Jet Force Gemini's last boss was too much for me. This is the one, where it bothers me the most, that i couldn't beat him. Because i loved that game so much.
Never saw that game's ending.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana is the other one, where i never could beat the last boss. I mean i beat the one that came shortly before, who i thought was already freaking hard. So i felt pretty good with myself and thought how much harder can it get...

BriGuy

Samus Returns. I saw and did everything I wanted to in the game and didn't see the point of backtracking to collect shit for a 20 second ending that was already available on YouTube.

Quantum Break.

However, I forced myself through the game up to that point as I really didn't enjoy it at all thus when I got to the final boss which had multiple phases for the encounter (if I remember correctly) I just said forget it.

100% this. I soldiered through that game and then came the tedious final boss which required so much more than anything else in the game. Two passes at it and then immediately took the disc out and traded it in. It did break me of trying to finish games because of the sunk cost fallacy. I guess I am grateful for that.

old

Vagrant Story

I was doing 1 damage against a guy with 500 hp where he one hit kills you. I tried my best. I once got him near death but died to the OHK.

Never fucking again.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. I’m bloodyminded... to a fault.

Example: I spent nearly three weeks (2-3 hours a night) bashing my head repeatedly against Orphan of Kos till I finally beat him. I’m not ashamed of my lack of skill, just how much gaming time I spent in one area on one game. :D

Kneefoil

At the final boss is actually a pretty good stopping point for most games since you've already seen pretty much all of the game, unless there's a significant amount of post-game content. Nowadays you can just YouTube the ending of almost any game, too.

Mighty No. 9

Just wasn't worth it anymore.
Same. I also don't have any drive to go through that final level again. I was actually OK with the game for the most part, but those last couple of levels suck hard.

Also one of the Bonk games. Maybe Bonk 2? Don't remember, but I do recall one of the final bosses just wrecking me so many times that I just eventually gave up. Don't think I've gone back and beaten it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Other games I've temporarily given up on at the final boss with the intention of never coming back to it:

Xenoblade Chronicles. I think it took me almost two years to go back to this - it certainly over a year.

Paper Mario: Color Splash. I died at the very end of the very last phase of the final boss. I think I failed to defend against his final desperation attack, or something (my memory's a bit hazy on that). Didn't feel like going through such a long battle again. I did come back to it not even a day later, though. :p

Spoo

Unlimited SaGa, I think.

One of the stories, for one of the girl characters. Can't remember much about it other than the boss just being fucking impossible for me.

I didn't 100% give up on the game, as I went through it on different stories, but I never felt like I truly beat the game after that,

Bravely Default true ending. The boss is still there waiting for me. I feel I didnt develop the jobs correctly and now I would need some grinding. Not doing.

Not the final boss but in Cuphead damn near made me quit when the two frogs
combined into a slot machine and the lottery spin would send out like 40 fast moving disk you have to keep hopping over

I never did.

But I did lower the difficulty from max to a step lower after unsuccessfully dying several times at the final fight in Max Payne 3. Talk about artificial and unimaginative difficulty design.

Kneefoil

This effer:

jfg6.jpg

The last encounter with Mizar in Jet Force Gemini. I remember using all the ammo from all my weapons and being left with the infinite useless weapon from the pistol. He just wouldn't die and your accuracy had to be almost perfect, while he shoots a ton of crap at you. I tried several times over a prolonged period of time, and then quit, to my dismay. Several years later, with this failure still bugging me, I said: f this, you're going down. So I tried several times and finally destroyed him. It felt good.

Oh gosh, Rareware bosses. I never played JFG that far because I hated how the game controlled, but I think one of my brothers quit playing at the final boss.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever beaten either of the N64 Banjos either. I've played up to Grunty in BK, but never beaten it, and the one time I played up to the final boss in BT, my brother beat the boss for me.

DK64, I think I beat eventually, but I'm not certain about that. I might've actually given up before the final boss when you needed to play those arcade games in order to progress.

TheBlueRogue

Neo Member
The final fight in Jeanne D'arc for PSP. I even grinded three seperate times after I failed the fight and still couldn't beat it. It's one of those two-tiered fights so not only does it take forever, but you can't reuse your special transformations which is the key to winning.

vvise

Rocket Knight Adventures and Ristar.

I was a kid, and they were both too hard. Just getting near the end in RKA is really hard. I ended up replaying these in an emulator with save states when I got older just to see how they ended.

dralla

Maybe Bayonetta? I don't know if it was the last boss or not but it was close. It wasn't out of frustration or anything, I simply lost motivation to play since I wasn't really enjoying it.

Zone of The Ender 2. Don't know why, these kind of mirror battle are my favorite kind of bosses ever. I just stopped during the fight and never booted it again, without any reason.

Nioh. The true last boss. At that point I was burned out HARD. This game is too long for his own good. And the best boss was the
Ninja Toad
anyway.

Yeah. Metal Gear Rising. Great character, shit boss imo.

Also Witcher 3: Blood and Wine. The game's overall combat issues are significantly exacerbated by that boss.

I very recently reached the final boss of Paper Mario Sticker Star, after dying during a second phase and feeling like there was some of that SS boss Trial and Error shenanigans in play I quickly looked up a guide to get the gist of things.
Apparently consists of like 3 or 4 more phases including a straight up ruck for the last one....

I'm probably not going back, which is a small shame because despite its flaws and being the weakest Paper outing I actually did enjoy it and it has some *gasp* positives that are worth the experiment.

If we can include the entire last stage as the final boss, I never even saw the big bad because it's such a nightmare

I still have to beat the final boss (and just the second, final part) of Wolfenstein: The New order. Played the game on Uber. Loved every minute of it. Can't beat him. I just can't. he should have been dead several times now but he just won't die. Even tried the cowardly hiding under the stairs shit. It's my biggest gaming trauma.

The Telltale Jurassic Park game has this QTE where you have to mash "A" to outrun a T-Rex. It is hands down the most ludicrously hard final section of a game I've ever played. It's more like one of those Strongman games you see at a carnival than an actual boss.

No, I have an innate need to finish everything I start unless it is truly terrible.

Came close recently, though, with Clustertruck. The final boss in that game requires mad precision and a bit of luck to beat. Spent the better part of two evenings before I took it down. Happy I did though, it had Portal-like payoff in that finally getting it done after all that struggling felt great.

I still have to beat the final boss (and just the second, final part) of Wolfenstein: The New order. Played the game on Uber. Loved every minute of it. Can't beat him. I just can't. he should have been dead several times now but he just won't die. Even tried the cowardly hiding under the stairs shit. It's my biggest gaming trauma.

Yeah, honestly I don't know how I ever did that. Spent multiple days of trying to get it done. I tried the stairs thing too and it would work for a bit and then not. After that I was just running around like a madman and finally was able to finish him off. You can barely stop for even a second or you'll get shredded.

Almost did in Final Fantasy X. Glad I didn't as tthat became my favorite FF ever.

Yeah I almost gave up on a re-play of the HD edition late last year because of the Jecht battle. I rushed through the game so wasn't really at the right level but I didn't want to go back and spend time leveling up. After about 10 re-tries I got it, thank heavens for Lulu's doublecast. Also sucks because there is such wait between the save point and then actually fighting him.

Top Bottom