• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever given up on a game completely...at the final boss?

Kaji AF16

Brütal Legend. I rushed through it and arrived underpowered to the last fight, being unable / unwilling to backtrack and prepare in due form.

SirNinja

Just once, when playing through Final Fantasy X doing the NSGNSNCNONENNENBB challenge (rolls right off the tongue, I know). Pretty much everything else in that challenge can be conquered with skill, but BFA requires almost lottery-winning luck.

Nevertheless, I'm thinking about doing the whole thing again from the top on the PC version, just to document the whole journey. Autosave, speed boosts, and cutscene skip should make parts of it a lot faster.

Soodanim

The closest I've come to this is Ys 1, somewhere in the last dungeon. I've never done it before, but I decided that I couldn't be bothered to look it up one day so I stopped playing, then I never returned to it after. Recently I YouTubed the last boss/ending and that was tha. Absolutely no desire to finish it myself.

Happened too many times to count.

Though you did remind me I really need to take another (couple dozen) stabs at beating the Cave Story & Strider (recent PS4 one) final bosses.

Batman: The Video Game on the NES.

Only weeks ago I was determined to beat it. Spent FOUR HOURS replaying the last stage and the Joker battle, couldn’t do it. I even walked away for a few hours, left my NES on pause, then came back in the middle of that four hours.

Fuck the Joker forever.

foppy79

I have this weird thing where I quit a game near it's very end, for more or less no reason.

Off the top of my head: Xenoblade Chronicles, Zelda BotW, Transistor (I did beat that one half a year later though), And GTA V. Almost happened with persona 5 too

I usually try to complete every game I start but just a few months ago I gave up Valdis Story at the last boss. I was not enjoying the game at all as I didn't like the art style and setting of the world. The last boss could regenerate his HP to full which was already a slog to get down so I said fuck it. Turns out he has a second form too lol.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I remember with Half-Life 2 episode 2 the last encounter made me stop. Never got back anymore. That i think is the only game that made me quit.

The Last Story is, I think, the only game where I did this. It just seemed like I lacked the raw stats for it, though I guess I was a little sloppy too.

Edit: Now that I think about it more I believe I went back and did quests/grinding then returned to the final area but didn't actually fight the boss. My sister wanted the Wii and I didn't take it back when she was done.

TDonk

How to Survive: Storm Warning

Last boss was a HUGE ramp up in difficulty and I couldn't be bothered after a few attempts

Red UFO

Happens more often than it probably should with RPGs. Turning up to the last boss to find myself underleveled when I dealt with the rest of the game fine is fucking shit.

Orphan of Kos on Bloodborne DLC NG4+
I just couldn't do it--summoned all day. He just hits so damn hard and fast. I gave up---Replayed the game and redid the DLC on an initial playthrough and beat him on my first try. (I believe the game ups difficulty each NG+ so starting over made it easier).

EOS-HDC

I have to confess that I played Xenoblade for 130hours, I enjoyed that game so much in the year that it took meto get there, but I just couldn't beat the final boss.

I tried managing my party, skills, armor, leveling up, got to level 81, but I realized it was eating time I could use on some other game, and with shame as a gamer went to youtube, saw the ending and enjoyed that time.

Other two games I stopped right at the final boss were FFVIII and FFX, and I'm yet to see thos endings.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't beat the final boss in Metroid Prime 2 even with a guide, so I never went back to it. I also died twice in the final battle in Zelda Wind Waker; can't remember if it wasn't that hard, but I ended up quitting for good. I'd like to go back to these two games, but it's been so long that it may be better to start them again from the beginning.

FFXIII.

Actually, I don't remember if I got to the final boss or stopped right before it. Either way, never cared enough to go back.

Muffdraul

I got the final boss in Lost Odyseey and just stopped. I don't even think I initiated the battle. I just suddenly lost all interest in the game itself. Months and even years later I went back to that file and tried to force myself to finish it, never did though. I'm not even sure why... the only thing I can think of is that he was simply one of the most boring and least charismatic characters I've ever seen. He was like an overweight midwestern PE coach from what I can recall.

And the really weird thing is, over the years I've heard that I'm not the only one who did this.

sectionse7en

Neo Member
Quantum Break almost made me do this. The final boss is a joke of difficulty and throwing game mechanics you've never seen before that kill you instantly, and the checkpoint is before a cutscene so you need to go through two loading screens to fight him again.

Took me ages. Nightmare.

Alright game otherwise. The final boss spoils it.

Vargavinter

Only one game that I can remember and that was KOTOR 1, because I went up against the last boss and he complexly destroyed me and corrupted my savefile after my first try. So I gave up, and learnt a valuable lesson: Always ALWAYS keep multiple saves.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Bloodborne for me. I grinded away, and from what I've read online, I'm down to the last two bosses, but for the life of me, I can't go back. It's still on my PS4 HDD though.

I tried going back late last year, died a few times, and just got fed up and played something else.

Wink

Skyward Sword, I don't even remember why anymore. I think it was just such an average experience for a Zelda game overall that I didn't feel any need to actually accomplish the ending. As soon as I knew that this was the final battle I was done with the game and watched it on Youtube. I didn't feel connected to the world like I usually did in a Zelda game and so felt no need to save the world myself.

ZugZug123

That's where I usually give up 😋

Unless it's a FF, then I give up on the 2nd half, where the difficulty goes up and the games go "you should have learned all the systems by now, right?"

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Recently, Axiom Verge. There's no way to avoid being hit and basically you just have to have enough DPS and hp to finish the encounter. I had enough of that crap.

Tales of Innocence, against the sword final boss thing, like that spike of difficulty was so high I didnt bother to know if there was another boss after that girl

Jet Set Radio Future on Xbox. Couldn't even get up the final psychedelic structure to fight the boss.

Just watched a playthrough video and I regret nothing.

I did once for Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse. I loved the game but the last boss was hard at first for me. I came back one day and then somehow beat it with no problem.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes. Bound By Flame.

Ridiculous difficulty spike and if you hadn't spec'ed your character in a specific way you were SOL.

Game was mediocre and not worth the frustration so I just gave up and moved on.

steveovig

Metroid Prime 2. I didn't feel like stressing out over the last boss after trying it twice. I figured I got a good amount of enjoyment out of everything else do I stopped. I did manage to beat the first one though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Vexx on the original Xbox.

The game was literally a Mario 64 clone with a gritty late-90s angst look to it. It had equivalents to almost everything Mario 64 had plus its own features. It had Stars to collect, a hub world with various locales to visit, many of Mario's moves plus some of his own. I loved it all the way to the end.

But then I got to the final boss and couldn't land a single hit. Tried numerous times and not a single one. Eventually gave up and didn't touch the game again.

kromeo

Tales of Xillia 2

I actually didn't give up, but I did end up lowering the difficulty all the way to easy. Even then, the final boss was still super difficult. It's probably the most insane difficulty spike I've experienced in a game.

The fight against the other Ludger was a ridiculous difficulty spike as well, I think I turned it down to easy for that

Final fantasy 13-2.
After forcing myself to beat 13 and going through 13-2 without going all out. The final boss second form is when I felt.
Thats it. I'm done.

XIII-2 for me as well. Absolutely LOVED XIII and it's ending. XIII-2 just wasn't as engaging for me, but the final boss fight with all the forms and no where to save just took way too long and I finally gave up.

frankelliott

Neo Member
Interesting people mentioning ff9. I’d grinded my characters so hard by then all the last bosses were cake walk (auto regen, auto haste etc.)

FF13 was incredibly hard but I honestly wish I had never started.

The last boss I fully gave up on was dark chronicle/dark cloud 2. Not sure if anyone else found it hard but I’d probably messed up my characters/weapons somehow.

Did this for the True Final Boss in Persona 4. Not because it was too hard, I didn't even try. Rather, the True Ending felt tacked on, and by the time I got to the fight, I decided that I preferred the standard ending and would let that be my ending.

SpecX

Legend of Dragoon, I got so upset with the final boss I flung the disc across the room and it broke. I haven't touched the game since, but would love a remake!

Nameless

Jecht in FFX. His final form stomped me the first time and beat me a little less convincingly the second. Planned to go grind a few more levels, got caught up in the plethora of classics that released that year and never did.

Top Bottom