• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever kept a hidden talent?

Media

I hid the fact I have synesthesia for years because I thought people would commit me. Not really a talent though, just an interesting brain quirk.

Media

Oh wow, what kind?

Audio-->visual (chromesthesia). Mostly music. I thought everyone had it until I was like twelve and someone looked at me like I was crazy when I decribed a songs visuals. So I shut the hell up and never mentioned it again until I was 29 and found out it was a thing lol.

Audio-->visual (chromesthesia). Mostly music. I thought everyone had it until I was like twelve and someone looked at me like I was crazy when I decribed a songs visuals. So I shut the hell up and never mentioned it again until I was 29 and found out it was a thing lol.

Would you it's mostly pleasant, unpleasant, or maybe just normal?
Like, if it were a choice, would you recommend it?
Synesthesia has always been fascinating to me. Same category as animals that can see more colours, the "woaaaah dude" category.
Edit: If this is too personal, I'm sorry

gaiages

Banned
I don't really tell people irl that I write things on the Internet, lol, other than my SO. I keep waffling back and forth on it, but I have a feeling it'd either bring about misconceptions (if I specify the type of writing I do) or people asking "omg how do I become the next J.K. Rowling!?" (you don't) that I really, really don't want to bother.

My day job is vastly different from writing but people like to think you can either be good at math or writing, not both (some stupid 'different sides of the brain' shit). Then people think I'm lying about being able to do one of them. I mean, accounting doesn't really involve that much math anyway but again, people have misconceptions about everything.

But at the same time, some people on the Internet know I write, so maybe it's not a secret after all?

13ruce

Banned
My taste in art is very good and i can pick out nice designs easily.

I am sure if i put in the effort and learn drawing on pc/irl that i can become pretty good at it but i am lazy ...

I have a creative mind but never use it so no one knows.

i've been told i have an absolute gift for sound design, especially for horror. i only keep it hidden because i disagree, i just like to make industrial soundscapes and don't see the significance.

im really good at badminton.
I played it really competitively throughout my secondary-school years, like went to national tournaments and everything. i guess its not really a hidden talent, as i dont actually try to hide it, more that i rarely ever bring it up, hell i even forget about it myself at times.
see I stopped playing completely once i started uni, and its only playing occasionally since graduating that i discovered a lot of that skill is still there (not the fitness tho, that went out the window quick, lol), seems the muscle memory got drilled into me hard.

Syder

In my teens, aside from football (soccer) I didn't really enjoy any other forms of exercise apart from dancing and as such I developed the ability to dance. It's a talent that only very few people have seen and it came as a big shock to them.

Shredderi

Predicting if a game will be good/enjoyable for me just from fairly small gameplay snippets that supposedly "don't tell everything". Yes they do. Those small snippets tell everything that is needed. It's hidden because how the hell would it not be.

I'm a hentai artist. Some friends and family members don't know. Or maybe they do. I don't really talk about it so who knows.
qXTXfPN.gif

Interesting...

I almost have photographic memory. I don't tell this to anyone because people will expect more from me at work and I am just too lazy to work more. So I behave like a normal guy, though sometimes people do ask about how did you remember that email that was sent 2 years ago. I have to cover up saying I saved it in some document or whatever which I glanced over yesterday.

I don't tell anyone anymore that I know a thing about computers (or how to fix common issues). I used to be really good at this in my teenage years and my parents basically used me to score brownie points with friends and family by shunting me off to fix computers free of charge.

I'm still pissed off about that and I hate fixing people's computer problems now.

Media

Would you it's mostly pleasant, unpleasant, or maybe just normal?
Like, if it were a choice, would you recommend it?
Synesthesia has always been fascinating to me. Same category as animals that can see more colours, the "woaaaah dude" category.
Edit: If this is too personal, I'm sorry

It's completely normal for me, often times pleasent because music is beautiful. Sometimes I can get overwhelmed. Dubsteb gives me headaches lol. Sirens suck too. But otherwise it's cool. The only trouble I really have is when I'm driving the random road noises can trigger it, so I play music I know so I don't get distracted. Also can't fall asleep with music/tv on.

I actually wish I had another type though, one more useful like the math ones. I suck at math. I was so scared of it when I thought it meant I was crazy I never learned an instrument.

I have faulty salivary glands and if i rub my tongue on my palate i can spit a jet made of saliva droplets with a 50 cm range.Think of the Mozambique spitting cobra, the two jets are basically the same.
It's hidden because it's gross and because if i have to show it (only my closest friends and gf know about that) i make a very stupid face (like when you lick a spoon of Nutella).

gatling

I'm pretty good at knowing what the time is without having a clock around. I wake up a minute or two before alarms go off. Doesn't matter if I change sleep schedules. I don't know if thats considered a talent though.

FyreWulff

I can use my mind's eye or whatever you call your internal perception of what you are seeing to willingly project lines/images onto the real world. I can close my eyes and visualize the world around me and walk around and open my eyes and be right where my visualization of it is.

I didn't know until I was older that people didn't mind-draw lines on the ground to tell themselves where to throw a football.

I guess the short form of this is that I have really good spatial.. calculation?.. ability. I can pinpoint where something is in 3D space. I can dead-reckon someone's travel on a map just knowing their speed. I can calculate almost instantly how long it'll take me to get somewhere, regardless of how I am getting there. When playing online multiplayer video games I keep track of everyone and everything in my head, so people will sometimes complain at me that i don't check other teammates on deathcam.. because I already know where they are and what they are doing and am tracking them in my head.

The downside of this is that when I'm designing a level or a map for a video game, I will build it and iterate on it entirely inside my head.. which can cause problems working in a team because it looks like I'm just arbitrarily throwing out designs. I've gotten better at actually putting the design down on paper etc.

My other slightly more useful skill is I've gotten really good at massage and can tell exactly where someone's back or foot is messed up without them having to tell me just by feel.

When I first started at my current job there was a company party at a bowling alley in the area. I am a really good bowler, have all my own gear, used to play leagues, etc. but I didn't want to be known as the bowling guy, so I just played arcade games all night with some other co-workers instead.

I know the choreography to many Kpop dances.

But really my parents put me in dancing classes when I was younger because I told them I wanted be like MJ.

solomon

I was helping my boss on an explainer video and he asked me if I could draw, I swiftly was like nope I've never drawn in my life.

Reversed

For me, it's hidden hobbies rather than talents.

There are exceptions, but it it takes time to be talented, y'know.

Top Bottom