• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever skipped or dropped a game due to the VA used in it?

GonzoCR

Not really. Voice work has to be really terrible to bother me. Also don't get skipping a game because of who is performing in it, by the same token, I don't understand why people get excited because of a voice actor for a game.

AlucardGV

Banned
no, but i muted trails of the cold steel because i didn't like the voice acting. what's worse than japanese high pitch voices is american voices trying to emulate high pitch voices

Fucking yes! Dragon Age Inquisition!

My Dalish Elf either sounds like the deep voice singer in Boyz II Men or a British dude who sounds like he just left a bag of his shit on your door step.

I mean, I intend to go back to it but the VA options throws me off every time.

pashmilla

Banned

My Dalish Elf either sounds like the deep voice singer in Boyz II Men or a British dude who sounds like he just left a bag of his shit on your door step.

That's why you play a female Quizzy 👌👌👌👌

Yukinari

The GBA remake of Link to the Past, with its godawful Link voice. I don't need to hear HAH HAH HAH HAH every time I swing my sword.

See also: GBA remake of Yoshi's Island. Why you gotta ruin games with shitty voice clips, Nintendo?

One of the worst ideas in gaming and to this day is another reason why the GBA versions are inferior.

Toad in Mario Advance makes the gutteral constant noise for every action. Same for the DKC games on GBA. So many unfitting and obnoxious sound effects.

eloxx

Wolfenstein TNO. I was dumb and bought the German release which only has German VA. I just couldn't get myself to finish the game like that.

I had the same problem. Could not believe that there was only the german VA. Finished the game anyway, it was just too good.

That's why you play a female Quizzy 👌👌👌👌

True but this my continuation from Dragon Age Origins where my Dalish Elf is taking up arms again to fight back against oppression and rasicism against the Dalish and City elves.

If I were to use a female elf I would have to find a way to replay Origins and start all over again.

Maybe one day I'll restart and put up with it.

Tagavaka

Neo Member
I am not directing this at a particular person but has anyone else noticed a trend in people being annoyed at Aloy's narration and talking to herself in Horizon: Zero Dawn and that a lot of those same people have no problem or less of an issue with Nathan Drake doing the same in Uncharted.

I am not saying people are purposefully employing double standards but that it may be an unconscious bias that most people don't realize. I have read studies (can't look for them now but I will find and add them later today) where men overestimated how much women speak or their presence in an area.

It may be partly an unconcious bias in gaming that there is more of a negative reaction to female pc's and the amount of speaking they are doing.
And maybe a small segment of male gamers who find it jarring when they are role playing and are, in their eyes, 'taken out of the story' when the female character speaks. Just an observation i've made as a woman who plays games.

**Editing again to add that I don't think everyone who dislikes a female VA does so for this reason, I was just talking about a larger trend

If you want, the British female VA option is Alix Wilton Regan who played Samantha Traynor in Mass Effect and she does a pretty good job. I've used her for the Dalish Elf and the female Qunari and the human female and she fits very well.

*Editing because I didn't see your last reply. You can also keep the option if you ever want to do a second separate play through from your main canon

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I recall a lot of people skipped over Codename S.T.E.A.M. due to GamerGate---both sides, in fact. You had folks who didn't like that the main character was voiced by GamerGate "advocate" Adam Baldwin, and then you had folks who hated Will Wheaton being in it due to his anti-GG views.

A shame, really, as I consider the game an instant classic and it has perhaps one of Nintendo's most diverse cast of characters, like, ever. There were a lot of other issues that put people off it beyond the GG fiasco of course, but I recall a lot of people saying that was the reason they were skipping it in threads over here.

If you want, the British female VA option is Alix Wilton Regan who played Samantha Traynor in Mass Effect and she does a pretty good job. I've used her for the Dalish Elf and the female Qunari and the human female and she fits very well.

*Editing because I didn't see your last reply. You can also keep the option if you ever want to do a second separate play through from your main canon

Female VA seems better quality then male VA in DA:I. I'll probably start a fresh play threw with a female character. But she won't be a Dalish!

I need to create a new cannon for her. Maybe a Qunari lesbian because of the whole suppression of the Qun thing. I don't know yet. I need to flesh it out.

chaosaeon

Passed on Web of Shadows because of it.

Edit : And also skipped on Saints Row 3 partly because of it. They removed the voice I used in SR2, the remaining voices were really obnoxious, and I couldn't even make a character that looked like mine used to since they gimped the character creator.

Lister

Banned
It would have to be pretty bad voice acting though, and I don't think the lead in a game like Horizon is going to be bad.

prag16

Banned
No, never. What kind of lunatic would do such a thing..

Hell, I don't even dismiss films out of hand strictly due to an actor/actress I don't particularly like being featured. And that's something that I'm sure is a LOT more common for people to do.

Durante

I skipped a few JRPGs because they lacked the original audio track (and also lacked any mods to get it).

A high-profile example (for me, since I love Atelier) was the original PS3 Atelier Ayesha release.
It was the first (and luckily only) single-audio release in the series after 8 dual-audio ones (and everything since then has been dual audio again).

True but this my continuation from Dragon Age Origins where my Dalish Elf is taking up arms again to fight back against oppression and rasicism against the Dalish and City elves.

If I were to use a female elf I would have to find a way to replay Origins and start all over again.

Maybe one day I'll restart and put up with it.

It's not the same character...

It'll be really weird when
You A: meet characters from Origin who have no idea who you are and B: you try to find yourself to ask for help.

no, as long as the gameplay is good I'm going to stick with it. Valkyrie Profile had some bad voice acting, but my gosh was that gameplay phenomenal. It even influenced Lab Zero to make a game with that battle system.

Edit: Oh yeah, the Resident Evil series is another that consistently has bad acting, but shit a lot of people still play it for the gameplay and atmosphere.

CAR105 3

We can never meet in person! It would destroy the world in a matter/anti-matter like explosion :D
I like both voices I'll be the peacekeeper for your meeting

I've never dropped a game because of a particular VA, but I have had experiences where I've wanted to stop playing a gane due to the VA's.

Ex. I hate Symphony of the Nights re-dub because I can't stand Alucard's new voice.

Kelpie

Nope, can't remember ever dropping a game just because the VA is bad. I do get annoyed with hearing the same voices for every other npc.

poodaddy

Yeah actually I can totally relate to this. I find it difficult to deal with games that have extremely "anime" like voice acting. I had a hard time with both MGSV and FFXV due to my distaste of anime level VA, but I stuck through both of them due to the quality of the gameplay in both and I'm glad I did. I suppose I wouldn't drop an amazing game due to VA issues, but if the game is moderately enjoyable but not really holding my attention well then yeah bad VA could be the final nail in the coffin so to speak.

Danone

Neo Member
Not really, but I'm playing The Witcher 3 in my native language (brazilian portuguese) because Geralt's english voice is annoying

CDV13

No....lol I don't honestly care about voices at all, or the music in a game though honestly.

Someone earlier said they almost quit Guilty Gear and BlazBlue because of the VAs...I mean, fighting games are some of the only games where playing with other music or headphones on won't make you miss anything. That seems weird that a fighting game VA would matter at all. Oh well.

Jeiiya

I've never dropped a game solely because of voice acting, but it can be a factor if I'm having a hard time enjoying the other aspects of the game as well. One thing that does kind of get me is in action RPGs when the characters are spamming the names of their special moves over and over again. That can wear me down quite a bit on the voice acting.

Memento

But Aloy's voice acting is amazing (at least judging from all the videos and what the reviewers are saying). The actress is really talented. I didnt know she was the voice of Chloe in LiS. She was great there too.

What doesnt he like about it?

Samikaze

There are some really bad ones out there, and some personally annoying ones, but if the game's good, I'll still play it.

Jennifer Hale's voice bothers me, (she always sounds out of breath), but I still used FemShep in all 3 ME games.

The main characters of FFXV sounded like they either were:
A) Stoned
B) Clueless as to what was going on
C) Tryiing too hard

Yet I played that all the way through.

I do also enjoy watching bad movies though, so maybe my threshold and standards are just lower than most.

JDMC13

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Risen 2 didn't have the greatest of VAs. Most VAs in Risen 3 weren't that bad, but the main character? It was like nails-on-chalkboard bad.

I originally skipped out on Final Fantasy X because I thought voice acting in a JRPG was sacrilege.

It's still a pretty bad dub but I eventually came around.

Top Bottom