• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO orders alternate universe Civil War drama [update: interview w/ producers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people really think that a Confederate-descended society is going to be portrayed as anything other than a hellhole on a major television network in 2017?

There is a decent chance it will be tasteless in one or more respects, certainly, but the notion that the alt-right/white nationalists are going to be the target audience, or that it's somehow unjustified to assume that it will be dystopic when that is extremely likely to have been literally how it would have been pitched to executives, is utterly bizarre to me.

Derwind

I read the title as HBO orders alternate universe for Marvel Civil War drama from David Benioff and Dan Weiss. You can imagine how confused I was when reading the article.

Seriously though, I hope they don't pull any punches when they depict the reality of slavery & white supremacy in the show.

I hope this doesn't disappoint.

Do people really think that a Confederate-descended society is going to be portrayed as anything other than a hellhole on a major television network in 2017?

There is a decent chance it will be tasteless in one or more respects, certainly, but the notion that the alt-right/white nationalists are going to be the target audience, or that it's somehow unjustified to assume that it will be dystopic when that is extremely likely to have been literally how it would have been pitched to executives, is utterly bizarre to me.

in 2017? or in 2015?

two years ago i would have a different answer.

I expect all the same finesse and quality as...

iqXYPQ9.jpg

prag16

Banned
or maybe just objectively horrible at dealing with slavery an race?

Man, a lot of people in here are really reaching. I can't understand how people here seem to be assuming that this production will be at all sympathetic towards modern neo-Nazi's and the like, or cater to them directly in some way.

I guess I need to a refresher course on my gaf Problematic-ness 101.

"Everything's problematic."

Huh, that was quick and easy. All caught up. Carry on.

On HBO, the channel of Last Week Tonight, The Wire, Treme, and future shows like Lovecraft Country and Who Fears Death?

Exactly. This very much seems to be much ado about nothing at this point.

I find it disappointing that it is alternative universe, it would be more interesting if it's historical as you can practically get like in the way Band of Brothers did it which was produced by HBO too and is the highest rated television show of all-time.

HMD

This could be entertaining, I hope they show it at a global scale. But the premise is certainly unneeded right now.

NoName999

Of course they won't go "fuck yeah, Neo Nazis." But most likely they'll get an audience with them if they "both sides" the issue of race caste system and those who oppose it.

I expect all the same finesse and quality as...

tenor.gif

berzeli

Banned
wtf is that
Hi, I'm berzeli, I've made it my mission to watch all the world's garbage TV.

If you want to read my impressions with context the whole saga starts here, and continues on the next page.
If you can't be bothered:
I thought I could make it. I somehow watched an entire episode of Between.
I'm done.
Fuck this show.
I should have stopped watching when the woman asked her daughter if she had a good day slaveing away on the fields and she happily says she did.
Fuck this show.
I should have stopped watching when the evil master whipped one of his slaves, whom he is in love with, just enough so his mother won't get suspicions. Oh, and after he whips her they start making out.
Fuck. This. Show.
Yes, really. He even pushes her newly whipped back up against a tree as they do it.
Actually it gets better than that. His wife looks on as they make out.
Oh god.

I thought it couldn't get better.

This is the description from the official website:
“The White Slave” because Blood is the Same Color, is a production which narrates the story of Victoria, a woman who everyone knows as a marchioness who arrived in America to marry a prosperous merchant from the region. However, the truth is different, because years back in that same city, she was rescued from death and raised in secret by some slaves who became her family. She was taken from the arms of her loved ones and sent to Spain because according to the society of the time, a white woman could not live with slaves. Victoria is an indomitable woman and she will come back pretending to be someone else to seek justice and liberate her family. This woman is determined to face anyone who gets on her way to free her loved ones from slavery, confront her parent´s killer and reunite with the man she would give her life for. For Victoria everyone is the same color which is why she won’t rest until she claims justice and become heroin. The series has the highest production values, like movie optics with f55 cameras and impeccable art work. The lead role is interpreted by renowned Spanish movie star and Goya award winner Nerea Camacho who is accompanied by a luxury cast with Spanish actor Miguel de Miguel, Venezuelan actor Luciano D’Alessandro, Cuban actor Orian Suarez, Panamanian actress Miroslava del Carmen and Puerto Rican Modesto Lacen, among others.
Truly the greatest woman. Become Heroin.

I'm actually crying. What is this.

Nameless

+1 down on the premise. It's going to have to be one of the 2 or 3 best shows on television for me to spend time in this world.

Whompa02

When going full liberal backfires on your audience.

Obviously the alternate history timeline is going to set up a big problem for the heroes of this story, and I don't see how anyone can see it any other way. What I'm more surprised about, is the complete outright rejection of this premise from a good portion of the target fanbase.

Does it pander too much? I'm genuinely curious why people are SO against this.

Obviously the alternate history timeline is going to set up a big problem for the heroes of this story, and I don't see how anyone can see it any other way. What I'm more surprised about, is the complete outright rejection of this premise from a good portion of the target fanbase.

Because racists run the US now so a what if black folk were still slaves isn't really appealing in this climate

And folks don't trust the "when in doubt add a rape scene guys" to pull it off well.

Aiii

So not worth it
Seems a bit similar in premise to The Handmaid's Tale to me. Which is essentially a dystopian slave story, but that's just the premise.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what they can do with an original story instead of an adaptation. GoT was very hit and miss and got pretty bad whenever they tried to insert their own stuff into the adapted material. But last season was of original stuff was fun, at least, even if the writing wasn't the best.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Considering who the creators are behind this I don't have much faith they'll handle this premise with tact or skill.

Effect

Yeah......no. Hell no! WTF HBO!?!? I have no faith this won't in the end turn into some fucked up situation where you have large number of people saying the slave owners are their favorite characters and cheering them on. People have already been emboldened even more then normal. This BS would just push that further unless they're shown to be completely evil, etc to the point everyone is physically uncomfortable whenever the characters appear on screen. That isn't going to happen though. From the GoT team too? No!

Whompa02

Because racists run the US now so a what if black folk were still slaves isn't really appealing in this climate

And folks don't trust the "when in doubt add a rape scene guys" to pull it off well.

Right, isn't that the point of the show? To connect with the current audience that already thinks this way? Isn't the entire premise a metaphor for what we're currently going through? Why is something like Luke Cage kosher and this not?

I can understand the anti-HBO "lets add a rape scene because we have to" criticism though.

I just don't see how this TV show is a bad thing right now. I feel like it's a pretty progressive concept. Maybe their intentions weren't laid out in the best way.

Right, isn't that the point of the show? To connect with the current audience that already thinks this way? Isn't the entire premise a metaphor for what we're currently going through? Why is something like Luke Cage kosher and this not?

I can understand the anti-HBO "lets add a rape scene because we have to" criticism though.

I just don't see how this TV show is a bad thing right now. I feel like it's a pretty progressive concept. Maybe their intentions weren't laid out in the best way.

What?

You don't see the difference between Luke Cage superhero who deals with real life situations and alt-history bullshit where most of the black folk are going to be slaves?

HStallion

Progressive? The idea they're doing has been around since the South lost the Civil War.

Whompa02

What?

You don't see the difference between Luke Cage superhero who deals with real life situations and alt-history bullshit where most of the black folk are going to be slaves?

They're both very much works of fiction. Maybe not the best example because I can sympathize a lot more with real contextual events versus alternative history, but aren't both ideas meant to, "wake you up" to the fact that we have a problem with racism?

Budi

I don't understand that straight dismissal of this. Wolfenstein didn't have this kind of backlash for it's alternate history where Nazi's won. Or maybe there was and I just wasn't aware of it. Correct me if wrong.

Edit: Also the mentioned Handmaid's tale is a good example. I don't think it's "subtle" either. I bet many people would love for a world like that. Doesn't mean the show endorses it.

Whompa02

I don't understand that straight dismissal of this. Wolfenstein didn't have this kind of backlash for it's alternate history where Nazi's won. Or maybe there was and I just wasn't aware of it.

This is exactly why I am curious as well. I don't get the immediate knee jerk dismissal.

They're both very much works of fiction. Maybe not the best example because I can sympathize a lot more with real contextual events versus alternative history, but aren't both ideas meant to, "wake you up" to the idea of racism?

Dude... please stop.

Asking why I'm ok with a black super hero show (showrun by a black man) but not ok with a what if black folks were still slaves show (showrun by two white guys with a not great track record) in 2017 is absurd.

berzeli

Banned
I don't understand that straight dismissal of this. Wolfenstein didn't have this kind of backlash for it's alternate history where Nazi's won. Or maybe there was and I just wasn't aware of it.
The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone – freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall
Does Wolfenstein put the player in the shoes of a Nazi committing war crimes?

Also The showrunners do not have an excellent track record when it comes to handling sensitive topics.

Effect

I don't understand that straight dismissal of this. Wolfenstein didn't have this kind of backlash for it's alternate history where Nazi's won. Or maybe there was and I just wasn't aware of it. Correct me if wrong.

Is this show going to focus on a character ground around killing every single slave owner and supporter they see in crazy ways the way you do in Wolfenstein while freeing slaves and having them join the fight? No!? It's going to try and show slave owners in some positive gray area light so audiences will relate and cheer for them instead? Try to pretend they're somehow conflicted when they have a slave killed, beaten, or raped? Or glorify rape scenes of slaves and their murder and mutilation? Show those fighting against them as losing time and time again? Fuck that and fuck HBO!

Budi

Does Wolfenstein put the player in the shoes of a Nazi committing war crimes?

Also The showrunners do not have an excellent track record when it comes to handling sensitive topics.
I don't think this series will put me in any shoes, it's passive experience. I'm an outsider watching the events.
Is this show going to focus on a character ground around killing every single slave owner and supporter they see in crazy ways the way you do in Wolfenstein while freeing slaves and having them join the fight? No!? It's going to try and show slave owners in some positive gray area light so audiences will relate and cheer for them instead? Try to pretend they're somehow conflicted when they have a slave killed, beaten, or raped? Or glorify rape scenes of slaves and their murder and mutilation? Show those fighting against them as losing time and time again? Fuck that and fuck HBO!
Well aren't those quite big leaps already. People can and will cheer for horrible events and people anyway.

Because I am done with watching slave movies so now HBO wants to make a show based around the confederate winning. I am not about to boycott the show or anything but I am not trying to watch a whole 8 seasons of likely being disgusted lol.

HStallion

I don't think this series will put me in any shoes, it's passive experience. I'm an outsider watching the events.

Wolfenstein doesn't portray the Nazis as some kind of moral gray area. They are horrible fascist pieces of shit that have gigantic concentration camps, zombie monster, etc. That and the entire game is about brutally murdering them for their evils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom