• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Man, you guys are ruthless. She's what I expect a mother to look like after a couple wars and "winters", and all those kids. How old is Catelyn in the book?

SoulPlaya said:
Man, you guys are ruthless. She's what I expect a mother to look like after a couple wars and "winters", and all those kids. How old is Catelyn in the book?

mid-30s or something like that.

edit: yeah

edit2: although they have been casting older as Ned is about the same age Cat (mid-30s) and Sean Bean is 50.

Van Owen

Banned
SoulPlaya said:

Yeah, if this were real life. I like good looking women on my TV!

Sean Bean still looks good for 50. He was pretty badass in The Hitcher.

Decado

SoulPlaya said:
My understanding is that she is supposed to be pretty damned hot, regardless.

Dresden

Clipjoint said:
Another pic

002.jpg
Long red hair, lots of makeup, I can see her being attractive enough.

She doesn't need to be some incredible beauty, it's not like she's set to play Cersei.

valeo

To be honest I was more worried about Cersei's casting. I like Lena Heady but she wasn't really what I pictured at all when I was reading it.

Catelyn is a pretty crappy character (imo) so I don't really care too much.

I just re-watched season 1 of 'Rome' and man, if HBO make it half as good as that I will be a happy man.

Subitai

valeo said:
I just re-watched season 1 of 'Rome' and man, if HBO make it half as good as that I will be a happy man.
Yeah, that show was awesome. I'm not really worried about them messing this up.

Ugh...so the first negative news for Thrones shows its ugly face and breaks its impressive streak of good luck.

No doubt about it...this seems like a downgrade. Really loved what I've seen from Jens performances online...what a disappointment. Hopefully this new actress is good.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Being under the weather for a couple weeks there has put me seriously behind on everything, I'm afraid. I'm now struggling to get back into it. In addition to the on-going work on DANCE, I am also trying to wrap up FORT FREAK, volume twenty-one in the Wild Cards series, and will soon need to gear up to write my season one script for HBO. I'm been over a decade since I last did a teleplay, I realized suddenly. I hope I still remember how.

Yes, the part of Catelyn on HBO's GAME OF THRONES has been recast. The new actress is Michelle Fairley, a talented and acclaimed veteran of the British and Irish stage and television. That's being discussed in several places on the web, most notably Westeros and Winter Is Coming, so take your comments, questions, and thoughts there, if you'd be so good.

There's more news, both bad and good, on several different fronts, none of which I am at liberty to talk about just now. Soon, maybe.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/142143.html

From Martins blog.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
let me take a guess...

bad news:
A Dance With Dragons has been pushed back 2 years... Martin just got "2012" in his Netflix and he wants to make sure there will still be an audience for his next book before he releases it.

good news:
Martin successfully removed both sides of an Oreo using only his tongue; this will free up a lot of free time that can** go towards writing*

*writing = writing the screenplay for the TV series

**probably won't

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Someone needs to throw a deadline in this bugger's face.

Mike Works said:
let me take a guess...

bad news:
A Dance With Dragons has been pushed back 2 years... Martin just got "2012" in his Netflix and he wants to make sure there will still be an audience for his next book before he releases it.

good news:
Martin successfully removed both sides of an Oreo using only his tongue; this will free up a lot of free time that can** go towards writing*

**probably won't
:lol :lol

My sides hurt.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Mike Works said:
let me take a guess...

bad news:

good news:

**probably won't

:lol

I needed that cuz I'm still down about the casting change.

Sotha Sil

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:

He had to mention Wild Cards, didn't he? That oughta please the demented portion of his fanbase.

Ah well; even if this hints at another delay, I don't really care. It's kinda like Elder Scrolls V (or Diablo 3, as above poster said): you teach yourself not to get your hopes up, and you wait. "When it's done", indeed.

edit: :lol

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Wouldn't it be ironic if a Song of Ice and Fire took more years than WoT to complete?

Wheel of Time - 1990

A Song of Ice and Fire- 1996

i_am_ben said:
Wouldn't it be ironic if a Song of Ice and Fire took more years than WoT to complete?

Wheel of Time - 1990

A Song of Ice and Fire- 1996
Don't... don't... really see how that would be ironic at all.

But good god man Dance really needs to come out. Reading the note in the back of AFFC is the most depressing thing.

Shirokun

I honestly don't think the new actress is that bad looking. I'll reserve comments for when we see her in full make-up

Lebron said:
well she sort of already looks like a
... . So I like the fact they are thinking ahead.

Gee, thanks. So having the big spoiler from book one spoiled wasn't enough I see. I swear, mark your goddamn spoilers a little better next time.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Mike Works said:
let me take a guess...

bad news:

good news:

**probably won't

To quote one of the most likeable characters

Azrael

The cynical side of me suspects the reason he was making so much progress on ADWD in January and February was to reassure HBO execs that they wouldn't be stuck with a half-finished series if they greenlit Game of Thrones. After it was picked up, he started slacking off again, hence getting shit done in the last three weeks.

But I don't think the bad news will be another delay, since he's abandoned making deadlines altogether. The publisher might finally be getting fed up with his bullshit and forced him to split Dance into two volumes or move a large chunk of the manuscript to The Winds of Winter, since he's been hinting at something like that for a few months now, or perhaps the Mereenese knot is making him scrap and rewrite a large number of "finished" chapters to resolve it. He should have kept quiet about these problems until he could talk about what they were instead of making everyone worried, but GRRM likes trolling us I guess.

Decado

Wasn't ADWD already split from the last book?

I think he needs to get a writer to help him out ala Sanderson ('cept while he is still alive).

As long as the other bad news isn't Bean or Dinklage leaving it's all gravy. Hopefully it's something about the next Wild Cards book or some other project I don't care about. If it's something bad about a Dance with Dragons, I can handle it. I've waited this long and I can wait longer, although I'm still holding out hope it will be out this year.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
FilthyLies said:
Don't... don't... really see how that would be ironic at all.

But good god man Dance really needs to come out. Reading the note in the back of AFFC is the most depressing thing.

it would be ironic as many ASOIAF fans criticize the length of WoT in silly fan wars. Bookwise it is correct but timewise its becoming less and less so.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Decado said:
Wasn't ADWD already split from the last book?

I think he needs to get a writer to help him out ala Sanderson ('cept while he is still alive).

Yeah from the blurb at the end of the book he says it was meant to be all in one book but got split up.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/books/article/784607--do-yourself-a-favour-don-t-read-this-book

Good interview here

Three weeks ago, Martin blogged that he was on manuscript page 1311. Did we mention that each volume is gigantic?

“Practically speaking, there can’t be more than about 250 more (pages),” Martin said. “(My publisher) told me 1550 (pages) is the limit. Any more and the binding won’t hold.”

And a due date?

“I don’t do deadlines any more. I’ve been scarred too many times,” Martin said. “Whenever I get close to a deadline, I can feel it bearing down on me. It doesn’t help. It actually hurts ..... and I wind up doing nothing.”

So if it gets longer its gonna get split........... again.

“Practically speaking, there can’t be more than about 250 more (pages)*,” Martin said. “(My publisher) told me 1550 (pages) is the limit. Any more and the binding** won’t hold.”

(pages) = (lbs)

of pants

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Also, these days, bookstores wont stock books that are too thick as they take up too much space. Apparently, the bookstores are extremely powerful.

I don't mind the casting change, she's not exactly extravagant looking but makeup can do wonders on anybody really.

As long as Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage are there to stay I'm fine. And I'm really bummed out about Callis joining that shitty Eureka. I think he had a legitimate shot at Littlefinger.

The only one's I have my doubts on are the kid actors, don't know if they're any good or not. We'll have to see.

Lirlond

i_am_ben said:
Also, these days, bookstores wont stock books that are too thick as they take up too much space. Apparently, the bookstores are extremely powerful.

But with sites like Amazon and e-books becoming so prevalent does it even matter what the bookstores think? Sure it'd mean the book wouldn't be there to catch the readers eye, but a book that long is gonna be a sequel anyway.

Azrael

Winter is Coming is reporting that Daenerys is being recast, which is probably the bad news GRRM was referring to. I've never liked the casting of Tamzin Merchant, so for me this may even end up being a good thing depending on who gets casted. I was hoping if any other role got recast, it would be her.

deadbeef

Azrael said:
Winter is Coming is reporting that Daenerys is being recast, which is probably the bad news GRRM was referring to. I've never liked the casting of Tamzin Merchant, so for me this may even end up being a good thing depending on who gets casted. I was hoping if any other role got recast, it would be her.

As long as it wasn't Tyrion. That would have been a huge letdown.

Not really attached to any of the cast except Bean and Dinklage so I have no problems with them changing Dany if they must, although the actress they had kind of looked like how I imagined her to look.

I don't think the bad news will be about ADWD's date. He told WiC's editor that he'll have it finished before he starts his script. Only possible bad news book wise could be that he's splitting it in two

PhoenixDark said:
I don't think the bad news will be about ADWD's date. He told WiC's editor that he'll have it finished before he starts his script. Only possible bad news book wise could be that he's splitting it in two

I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. I'd probably laugh though.

tokkun

PhoenixDark said:

I agree. In the past two years, he has said that in order to get the book published that year, he had to be finished in June. So, I think we have at least another two months before he tells us that it will not be published in 2010.

tino

Banned
Lebron said:
Dance is never coming out. Just come to turns with it and move on.

Does it matter? About 70% of the book is already on the net. It's still nowhere close to the climax of the series. And you know he is going to split the remaining books.

tino

Banned
Clipjoint said:

I originally read this post on my phone, and I couldn't see the photo. Now that I have seen the pic....I don't find any charisma in this woman's pictures. Just one tried, middle-aged office secretary. There is no light in her eyes.

tokkun said:
I agree. In the past two years, he has said that in order to get the book published that year, he had to be finished in June. So, I think we have at least another two months before he tells us that it will not be published in 2010.

I saw a comment somewhere claiming Martin said he's past the 1500ms count, dunno if that's true though.

The show starts films in June, and due to pre-production requirements HBO should want Martin's script before the fall right. In short, he can't take his sweet time on it. It makes sense that he'd finish Dance in June or July, giving him some time to work on his script.

I'd be beyond pissed if he announces that due to the pressure of writing the script he has to put a hold on his ADWD progress and work exclusively on the script.

Looks like the bad news was with respect to Dany. How does this character manage to throw wrenches in everything lol
A new casting side has appeared for the role of Daenarys dated for today on Showfax. You can read the contents of the casting side here. Could it be that they are recasting the role of Daenerys? Might this be some of the bad news that GRRM was referring to?

Winter Is Coming: Now I’m not sure how these casting side sites work. Maybe someone can answer this question for me, is it possible that someone could have uploaded a fake side as a hoax? This Kathleen Choplin doesn’t appear as a casting director on my Cast & Crew page or on IMDb. While the old casting sides has Amy Berman who is on my Crew page. An interesting development for sure, but I’m calling it a rumor for now, until we get more info.
http://winter-is-coming.net/2010/03/dany-the-next-to-be-recast/#idc-container

Never was a fan of her as Dany; she's not attractive and just doesn't find my mind's eye view of Dany. But, re-shooted her scenes would be pretty costly.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
tino said:
I originally read this post on my phone, and I couldn't see the photo. Now that I have seen the pic....I don't find any charisma in this woman's pictures. Just one tried, middle-aged office secretary. There is no light in her eyes.
Perfect description of who I see Catelyn Stark as. I detest her more than Cersei Lannister.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PhoenixDark said:
I saw a comment somewhere claiming Martin said he's past the 1500ms count, dunno if that's true though.

The show starts films in June, and due to pre-production requirements HBO should want Martin's script before the fall right. In short, he can't take his sweet time on it. It makes sense that he'd finish Dance in June or July, giving him some time to work on his script.

I'd be beyond pissed if he announces that due to the pressure of writing the script he has to put a hold on his ADWD progress and work exclusively on the script.
I think the publisher needs to start cracking the whip. An artist will never finish a work if they don't have to. The perfectionist in them will cause them to self-sabotage their efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom