• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
speedpop said:
Perfect description of who I see Catelyn Stark as. I detest her more than Cersei Lannister.

I really can't understand how such resentment is fostered.... Did you read a masters work vers of the book that had extra chapters?

Dresden

Scootydowopp said:
I really can't understand how such resentment is fostered.... Did you read a masters work vers of the book that had extra chapters?
Opinions.

And she's ALWAYS wrong. The one time she's right, she doesn't follow through
and force Robb to ditch that dumb ho.
Otherwise, everything she does is WRONG. She's incorrect EVERY SINGLE TIME, and worst of all, SHE DOESN'T EVEN ADMIT IT.

I just don't like her.

deadbeef

Dresden said:
Opinions.

Otherwise, everything she does is WRONG. She's incorrect EVERY SINGLE TIME, and worst of all, SHE DOESN'T EVEN ADMIT IT.

I just don't like her.
You said it better than I did, haha

Dresden said:
Opinions.

I just don't like her.

I just don't understand how someone can rank Cersei as more likable than her.
Catelyn lost everything she knew, and was making moves with family as her foremost concern.

And not to be prickish, but can you give me examples? Not at home, don't have books.

tokkun

Scootydowopp said:
And not to be prickish, but can you give me examples? Not at home, don't have books.

How about when she tries to trade Jaime Lannister for her daughters? The Starks end up losing their most valuable hostage and get nothing in return. Furthermore, it kicks off the events that end with Robb executing Karstark and losing his part of the army.

Mifune

Mehmber
tino said:
I originally read this post on my phone, and I couldn't see the photo. Now that I have seen the pic....I don't find any charisma in this woman's pictures. Just one tried, middle-aged office secretary. There is no light in her eyes.

A little dramatic?

Maybe we should just take her out to the barn and shoot her.

tokkun said:
How about when she tries to trade Jaime Lannister for her daughters? The Starks end up losing their most valuable hostage and get nothing in return. Furthermore, it kicks off the events that end with Robb executing Karstark and losing his part of the army.

Damn man, how cold are you?

Lets take a perspective.

She knows her husband is dead. Believes her special boy(Bran) and his younger brother is dead. Her father is clearly dying.

She's just trying to get back what little family she has left to her.

If you're gonna hate her for anything, how is it for being a mother?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Scootydowopp said:
Catelyn lost everything she knew, and was making moves with family as her foremost concern.

To start with, she
convinced Ned to go south and become Hand of the King. She then captured Tyrion because she suspected him of sending the catspaw to kill Bran, but ended up letting him go after the trial at the Vale. This triggered the Lannisters to start attacking the Riverlands and caused Jaimie to attack Ned Stark in the streets of King's Landing.

Tokkun and Dresden pointed out other big ones as well.

In short, she means well, but she constantly fucks everything up. Her actions have probably resulted in more deaths than most of the other characters in the book. Obviously she doesn't intend for these things to happen, and I don't necessarily dislike her character, but it can't be denied that her actions do end up causing a whole lot of misery.

Scootydowopp said:

Cersei is always interesting, and has some of the most entertaining chapters in AFFC. Catelyn's chapters are kind of one trainwreck after another. I understand that she's a loving, grieving mother, but some of her decisions and suggestions are simply stupid.

ACOK spoiler:
The Jaime situation was already mentioned, but also remember she was all high and mighty against the Karstark lord's demand for revenge, but when she thought Bran/Rickon died she demanded revenge immediately.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Man, all this Catelyn talk has me
remembering the cliffhanger to A Feast for Crows. And it makes me want to punch GRR in his stupid gut for taking so long

tokkun

Scootydowopp said:
Damn man, how cold are you?

Lets take a perspective.

She knows her husband is dead. Believes her special boy(Bran) and his younger brother is dead. Her father is clearly dying.

She's just trying to get back what little family she has left to her.

If you're gonna hate her for anything, how is it for being a mother?

Yes, she is a mother and loves her children, but releasing Jaime is basically selling out all of her son's bannermen, you know, those people who have been sacrificing and dying by the thousands to support her family. Just look at Karstark - his only sons both died capturing Jaime, then Catelyn lets him go because she thinks it will get her own children back. If that isn't selfish, then what is? Catelyn has no problem with Robb calling his banners and starting a war to get revenge for Ned, causing tens of thousands of deaths, but as soon as she starts taking some losses of her own, noblesse oblige goes right out the window.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dresden said:
Long red hair, lots of makeup, I can see her being attractive enough.

She doesn't need to be some incredible beauty, it's not like she's set to play Cersei.

Well the actress they got to play Cersei isn't exactly a beauty to be honest.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
mid-30s or something like that.

edit: yeah

edit2: although they have been casting older as Ned is about the same age Cat (mid-30s) and Sean Bean is 50.

Nothing new here.. but one can argue that living in medieval times would make you look older anyways.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
tokkun said:
Yes, she is a mother and loves her children, but releasing Jaime is basically selling out all of her son's bannermen, you know, those people who have been sacrificing and dying by the thousands to support her family. Just look at Karstark - his only sons both died capturing Jaime, then Catelyn lets him go because she thinks it will get her own children back. If that isn't selfish, then what is? Catelyn has no problem with Robb calling his banners and starting a war to get revenge for Ned, causing tens of thousands of deaths, but as soon as she starts taking some losses of her own, noblesse oblige goes right out the window.

I have to agree almost entirely here, I remember this vividly when I read this book. I was thinking to myself how absolutely selfish and self-centered she seemed. It's not just that she was being selfish, she was being short sighted with her selfishness, what did she think would happen?

Although I do sympathize with her a bit. I kind of write off her fuck ups as her descent into madness seems to become more and more imminent. At the
Red wedding
and after, I don't even see her as the same person she was in the first book, she is entirely a different person, and probably now insane.

deadbeef

Kinitari said:
I have to agree almost entirely here, I remember this vividly when I read this book. I was thinking to myself how absolutely selfish and self-centered she seemed. It's not just that she was being selfish, she was being short sighted with her selfishness, what did she think would happen?

Although I do sympathize with her a bit. I kind of write off her fuck ups as her descent into madness seems to become more and more imminent. At the
Red wedding
and after, I don't even see her as the same person she was in the first book, she is entirely a different person, and probably now insane.

Storm of Swords spoilers here
It's so frustrating to see her get so close to being reunited to her kids over and over again, specifically Arya, and never get a chance too. Especially since at the Red Wedding, Arya was just outside the castle. Sooooo frustrating. Arghhh!

Dresden

deadbeef said:
It's so frustrating to see her get so close to being reunited to her kids over and over again, specifically Arya, and never get a chance too. Especially since at the Red Wedding, Arya was just outside the castle. Sooooo frustrating. Arghhh!
Oh, man. Agreed.

But that's nothing compared to the frustration I'm feeling over (Feast for Crows spoiler)
Brienne's final word to Catelyn. Does she even live? What does she scream? I have my guesses, but until Dance comes out... and even then it might not be resolved. FFFFFF

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
deadbeef said:

Oh don't get me started. The constant 'near misses' makes me want to punch a kitten.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The one thing that Catelyn did that I liked:
Because she released Jaime, I got to grow and love Jaime as a character. I hadn't felt that way before. Now he's one of my favorites.

deadbeef

sazabirules said:
Because she released Jaime, I got to grow and love Jaime as a character. I hadn't felt that way before. Now he's one of my favorites.

biggest turn-around for me as far as characters I used to hate, but now like.

Dresden

sazabirules said:
The Lannisters are the most interesting family in the books, imo. I love them all, with Tyrion and Jaime at the forefront of that love. It's sad that
I just don't see a happy ending for the entire family. Too many enemies and of the two that's capable to saving them, one's a patricide-kingslayer-midget and the other is a sister fucking-kingslayer-cripple. :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dresden said:
The Lannisters are the most interesting family in the books, imo. I love them all, with Tyrion and Jaime at the forefront of that love. It's sad that
I just don't see a happy ending for the entire family. Too many enemies and of the two that's capable to saving them, one's a patricide-kingslayer-midget and the other is a sister fucking-kingslayer-cripple. :lol

Really? Cersei is
about as one note as it gets, one of the more predictable, unchanging characters IMO ... I was disappointed with her lack of development

Dresden

Raging Spaniard said:
Really? Cersei is
about as one note as it gets, one of the more predictable, unchanging characters IMO ... I was disappointed with her lack of development
I was thinking more of Tyrion, Jaime and Tywin when I wrote that, but as for Cersei,
the gradual reveal that she was fucking stupid and mean, and a drunk to boot
was pretty interesting.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dresden said:
I was thinking more of Tyrion, Jaime and Tywin when I wrote that, but as for Cersei,
the gradual reveal that she was fucking stupid and mean, and a drunk to boot
was pretty interesting.

Yeah I agree I suppose, Tyrion and Jaime are in my top 3, along with Jon

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Raging Spaniard said:
Really? Cersei is

Some people are as shallow and hateful as they seem. I'm glad Cersei is on of them. I loved her chapters.

Brian Fellows said:
Some people are as shallow and hateful as they seem. I'm glad Cersei is on of them. I loved her chapters.

Seriously, Cersei hate baffles me. Not every character has to be grey. Cersei's scheming is extremely entertaining.

What a contrast in seeing her reign verses Tyrion's reign in ACOK. I wonder if Jaime will ever take a leadership position in King's Landing

Agreed on the Catelyn, er, dislike? Not only is she selfish, but she's incredibly self-righteous, too, and misses the hypocrisy of how little her actions and thoughts speak to the level of judgment she reserves for others.

Mifune said:
A little dramatic?

Maybe we should just take her out to the barn and shoot her.

:lol

PhoenixDark said:
Video of Fairley from The Others, thanks to WiC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPoELNnepzQ

Gotta admit when I saw the WiC post I thought she was the old woman in The Others lmao. But she doesn't look bad there; only problem is that was a few years ago. Makeup should be able to fix her up again though.

Yeah, it's going on 10 years since that was filmed.

Anyway, I've been watching The Tudors and been wishing there was a role for Natalie Dormer somewhere, she's so great in it.

Purkake4

Banned
Van Owen said:
Finished the first book over the weekend. Gonna be a fucked up ending for TV. :lol

Book 2 should arrive this week. :D
Shit, son, I just finished AGOT as well.

I'm picturing a super depressing montage set to equally depressing music.

end of GoT spoilers

A season finale for Game of Thrones could be so fuuucking awesome. Especially
the northern bannerman declaring Robb the king of the north; and smoke settling, revealing Dany with her dragons omg

I still haven't started reading Game of Thrones yet. The book has been laying around for over a year now. I am so lazy about it, that I might think that I will wait for the series instead.

I really should read more though!

Azrael

Actress Elena Satine tweeted she auditoned for a role.

014_elena_satine.jpg

Probably auditoned for Shae or to replace Tamzin Merchant.

-NeoTB1-

tokkun said:

100% agree. This is one of the many reasons why I dislike her as a character.

tokkun said:

Sounds like someone is leaving some facts out in their one-sided assault here:

Because, after all, she knew that Bran and Rickard were still alive, right... Because, she knew that Ned was going to come back to life in an instant. Because she knew that the Lannisters were good folks who were going to take care of her remaining children with grace and dignity, because that's just what they do.

Sheesh, have some perspective.

Frostburn

Vigilant Walrus said:
I still haven't started reading Game of Thrones yet. The book has been laying around for over a year now. I am so lazy about it, that I might think that I will wait for the series instead.

I really should read more though!
Start reading now, chances are you will love it. It is an amazing series so far. I just finished the second book, A Clash of Kings and I'm going to start reading the third book tonight before I go to sleep. My girlfriend just started reading my copy of the first book a week or so ago and loves it already. After hearing how much I was enjoying the series she wanted to see for herself.

Also

Azrael said:
Actress Elena Satine tweeted she auditoned for a role.

014_elena_satine.jpg

Probably auditoned for Shae or to replace Tamzin Merchant.

Yes please! Either role would be good for her if she's got the acting chops to play Dany, if not I certainly wouldn't mind seeing her as Shae.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom