• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
moojito said:
Yeah, without getting all weird, you couldn't imagine someone like that being called "horse face". I got the impression Arya was a bit more like a young Brienne. Though who would be the person to step up and tell a casting room full of parents "no, your kid isn't ugly enough.. nope, neither is your kid, or yours.... now *your* kid is an absolute minger! Perfect!"

Eh it was only really Sansa that called her that, I think it would have been more Sansa being a bitch than Arya being ugly.

Aegus

I think people have been skipping the comparisons between Arya and Lyanna when reading the series.

Grown up Arya is going to be kind of woman men go to war for...
cos she assasinated the king/queen/someone important

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
i_am_ben said:
I don't know why but I always imagined needle as a fencing sword.
I do too, though it seems to be a cross between a bastard sword and a short sword in the book doesn't it?

Dresden

I think it's just the name "Needle" that makes it sound like a fencing saber.

I did picture something skinnier, and maybe something more akin to a dagger than anything else. Although speedpop's description is probably right.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Arya, and Needle, pretty much look exactly like I imagined. Awesome!

Peff

Lirlond said:
Why is she practicing with Needle so soon? Arya doesn't actually learn swordmanship for a while in the books.

Those are not official filming images, she's just playing around with one of these.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lirlond said:
Why is she practicing with Needle so soon? Arya doesn't actually learn swordmanship for a while in the books.

Doesn't she get Needle within the first 200 pages or so? That's probably like the second or third episode in the TV series.

A few tidbits from the Treme renewal discussion
THR Live Feed said:
The David Simon and Eric Overmeyer series [Treme] will resume production in New Orleans this fall with season two debuting next spring -- about the time another project, "Game of Thrones," will be ready to hit the air.

"They should be ready about the same time," Lombardo said.

Lombardo confirmed that the "Thrones" pilots had some re-shoots, but assured the show's quality is high.

"It looks beautiful, the compelling scripts are just fantastic, we're doing reshoots but nothing major," he said. "The show is there."

Heh, was about to post that. He certainly doesn't sound concerned about one, possibly two major characters being re-cast. I'm not really concerned either - it'll be pretty hard to fuck this up. On any other channel sure, but not HBO.

I just realized that if this show is successful there is no way that the actress that plays arya will look like she is 13 by the time they get to her amazing parts in the books. What made it so special was that this little girl was overcoming all odds and surviving and adapting.

Dresden

shintoki said:
Wasn't Needle given to her like in the first 100 pages?
Something like that, it was Jon who gave it to her right when the Lannisters were over at Winterfell. So she might even get it in the first episode.

Van Owen

Banned
Eh, I've sort of come to grips with the fact that by the end the actors will all be older than what they arein the books. Sort of like Harry Potter.

Maybe they can film some seasons back to back or something too...

Arment

Damn I'm excited for this show. Been purposefully not reading about it to make the time go by faster, but I couldn't help but look at some new pictures. Arya is perfect.

Oh and obligatory hurry the hell up George. I want Dragons.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Van Owen said:
Eh, I've sort of come to grips with the fact that by the end the actors will all be older than what they arein the books. Sort of like Harry Potter.

Maybe they'll just end up the ages they were supposed to be before George had to ditch the 5 year gap.

Van Owen said:
I think she's just improvising in her backyard while her mom takes pictures. Jesus, some of you people are picky. :lol

Pretty much. It's hardly indicative of the action that will appear in the series. The "criticism" is laughable.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Van Owen said:
I think she's just improvising in her backyard while her mom takes pictures. Jesus, some of you people are picky. :lol

I thought they might have been joking so I didn't say anything.

Van Owen said:

Aging up the kids makes sense, but it could really dampen some of the emotional weight of their future scenes, assuming the show lasts.

ASOS spoiler
Especially for Robb. He becomes a leader quite young, and makes a host of mistakes that ultimately lead to his death. He's a teenager thrust into a pretty dire situation, and it'll be odd seeing him portrayed on the screen by someone who looks like they're 20 something.

Tidbit from the Chicago conference Martin attended this weekend

The first few people to ask questions knew nothing about the tv show so the first person wanted to know which books the series was covering. The next person wanted to know how many episodes there would be. Someone else asked about the episode GRRM was writing. As we know it's episode 8 and...I'm not sure if what episodes cover is considered a spoiler or not so just in case...

He said the part he was covering was towards the end of the book. That it takes place immediately following the death of Robert so it includes the coup, Arya's escape and some bits on the Wall.
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/42396-grrm-in-chicago/page__st__60

Very interesting and definitely helps us map how the book will be adapted over 10 episodes.

GOT spoilers
So Robert dies in episode 7, and Ned is imprisoned in E8. So I'd imagine he will die at the end of E9, setting up a pretty epic season finale.

bathala

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Tidbit from the Chicago conference Martin attended this weekend

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/42396-grrm-in-chicago/page__st__60

Very interesting and definitely helps us map how the book will be adapted over 10 episodes.

GOT spoilers
So Robert dies in episode 7, and Ned is imprisoned in E8. So I'd imagine he will die at the end of E9, setting up a pretty epic season finale.
1 book per season? that's how I imagined it since True Blood is doing it.

no word on the book of forever

Van Owen

Banned
She is beyond annoying on The Tudors, but I realize she's supposed to be. It's kind of hard to gauge how good she would be in GoT.

tokkun said:
Really? I thought her role on The Tudors has been well-acted. I mean, keep in mind that her character is meant to be very naive and childish in that show.

Yeah, I know.. still I just don't think she fits the role.

Kind of liked the look of Merchant though...really had this different kind of look. Hopefully the next Dany has an original style and isn't a younger version of Cersei. After the Catelyn recasting and now this the casting went from really good to "ruh roh" imo.

tokkun said:
Really? I thought her role on The Tudors has been well-acted. I mean, keep in mind that her character is meant to be very naive and childish in that show.

Obviously I want a good actress for the part, but I also want someone who's good looking, like Dany is described by all who see her. Merchant is quite unattractive to say the least.

Azrael

My problem with Tamzin Merchant is she looked too old for the part. They should be casting an 18- or 19-year-old, not someone who's 23. If the series gets a full run, she would have been 30 years old by the final season playing a teenager.

ezrarh

I don't think I'd mind an actress being too old. Imagine the difficulties of getting someone young, pretty, that can act with a british accent, and is willing to do sex scenes. As long as the actress possess the skills to portray all aspects of Dany and I'll be happy.

kurahadol

Decent actor, but not how I pictured Dany at all. The other actress looked the part too well, going to be hard to make up for that now :/

methodman

Banned
Wow, last time I posted my idea for the re-read thread was March 3rd. :lol

Guess May 6th is late enough.

Here's the plan:

We'll start on Wednesday, May 12th (I'll post the thread tomorrow night if people are down to start next week)
Yes we will have spoilers to books in the entire series
Will read a chapter every two days - Total of 73 chapters = 146 days
Estimated time is May 12th to September 20th

So, if you guys are ready to start next week I can make the thread and shit asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom