• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBomberguy: "Sherlock (the BBC show) Is Garbage, And Here's Why"

caliph95

So, I'm an hour in now and I typically like this guy's stuff. This is not a bad video by any means, but I feel like he could have gotten his point across in at least half the time. It's like he thought of 15 fun things to say about one scene and instead of choosing the best one he insists of saying all of them. So many points get repeated at nauseum.
His editing makes this thing still fun to watch but this really didn't need to be 110 minutes long
agree but makes for good background noise

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just listened and not watched so apologies if I missed something big, but I just really can't agree with most of what's being said here.

The mysteries mainly supplemented the characters and interactions that carried the show right until the end of the series imo.

I'd agree with this. Same reason I enjoyed House even though it was 'just another medical procedural'. House isn't a show about illness just as Sherlock isn't a show about whodunnit- both are just mechanisms that allow us to watch the characters be douchebags

Sojgat

That show does not need defending. It is pretty good considering the horrid format it has to follow.

Pretty much.

Elementary - 120 episodes, not one bad.

At the very least, it's the most consistent procedural I've ever seen. Jonny Lee Miller is a great Sherlock.

caliph95

Pretty much.

At the very least, it's the most consistent procedural I've ever seen. Jonny Lee Miller is a great Sherlock.
It's a comfy show and unlike Sherlock it doesn't worship sherlock and makes him a magician

Shredderi

I honestly thought that the show was pretty universally loved. I myself like it very much. I also like Elementary but I should continue it. I left it at the start of season 3 or something because I wanted to marathon them someday.

dude

dude
Didn't watch the video yet, but that has been my opinion since watching the first two seasons years ago. The few high are just not worth it.

RangerX

Banned
I enjoyed the first series. I thought the second and third were truly awful though. The plots started to become nonsensical.

It's a comfy show and unlike Sherlock it doesn't worship sherlock and makes him a magician

Honestly the part I enjoy the most about Elementary is the fact that it isn't afraid to stray from the source due to the changes they made for the procedural format, and actually gave the characters some fucking development.

17MRHOLMES-master1050.jpg

There have been a bunch of Holmes adaptations lately, but the only one I've actually thought was great was Ian McKellen's Mr. Holmes.

MartyStu

Pretty much.

I remember thinking that during Season 1, although since we've gotten Lucifer, which escapes the confines of that procedural genre far better than Elementary ever has.

Person of Interest has these beat. So do Limitless and iZombie actually.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Moffat somehow made Doctor Who boring and worst of all predicable...WHO DOES THAT? man I miss RTD

Sherlock is also predicable now

No, he doesn't.

His Souls "essays" are absolute garbage. He tries too hard to be this sort of respected youtube critic and he falls incredibly short while making himself look ridiculous. I'll never understand why he's somehow being posted here as if he was dunkey or crowbCat. He has nothing on these kind of people.

Seems like he didn't have enough with videogames and is bringing his hot takes to film. I pity those who take this fraud "critic" seriously.
LOL yes he has nothing on crowbcat who just cuts a bunch of footage together with zero context

MartyStu

Some of the episodes have been fantastic, some have been so-so and some have been bad.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty fair.

The quality of the show tends to decline between series though. Sharply.

The show just needs one last Christmas Special where Molly is not treated like trash. That is all I want.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It is so incredibly rare that I ever see people talk badly about Sherlock other than a bit of the newer stuff.

But this thread has people saying it goes downhill after the very first episode and that Elementary is better.

Elementary.

Good lord.

I still like Sherlock but that show did a very very bad thing by making Sherlock/Holmes relationship the focal point of the series.

I liked the two episodes I saw of Elementary okay and may get back to it but I'd honestly rather be watching British mystery shows if I'm going to watch mysteries. That said, I already watched the new Vera and Midsomer Murders so I may need to find something else til I can get new episodes of like Hinterland or Endeavour (if they're making more?).

caliph95

Pretty fair.

The quality of the show tends to decline between series though. Sharply.

The show just needs one last Christmas Special where Molly is not treated like trash. That is all I want.
And don't make a meta special or some mind palace nonsense that ruined an otherwise amusing special

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
He's got a ton of good points, some non-points and a bit of bullshit, but he's mostly right if you get down to it. That said, I still like the show a lot so I'm still fine with it.

moggio

Banned
I just watched this in the bath and I agree with pretty much everything he said.

Sherlock is really bad, guys.

LeonSPBR

I like S1/S2 of Sherlock, but S3 and especially S4 are bad.

I prefer Elementary since it has time to develop character. Sherlock is a far better character in Elementary than the BBC show.

Kinyou

Sherlock undeniably has it's flaws but then it does other things so damn well that I don't care anymore. Like the way you saw his mind working during the wedding speech. Just beautiful.

It is so incredibly rare that I ever see people talk badly about Sherlock other than a bit of the newer stuff.

But this thread has people saying it goes downhill after the very first episode and that Elementary is better.

Elementary.

Good lord.

Hey. Elementary is a good show. If you like bog standard crime procedurals, it's better than the usual suspects (your CSI's, NCIS's, Criminal Minds's, etc.), but a lot of it hinges on whether you like the Holmes/Watson chemistry, like most Holmes inspired works.

Hell, the only shows I actively keep up with season to season these days is Criminal Minds, Elementary and Lucifer, and I think the only reason I like Lucifer the most is because it's still the freshest of the three. Elementary's been going for like five seasons now.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Sherlock is an entertaining show. I like it just fine, but I don't love it. My biggest gripe is the dude they got to play Moriarty. He fucking suuuuuucks.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Season 1 and 2 had one weak episode per season, 3 and 4 shifted to two bad episodes an one good one, on top of a bad special.

Devil

I didn't know the last season was hated this much. I liked it despite some flaws all of the seasons have. It may not be very deep but its fun and the dynamics between the characters has always been great.

People who say it's the worst TV production ever should try and watch some of our german productions by our public and private broadcasters.

I envy you for your BBC productions...

zoukka

Elementary.

Good lord.

It's hilarious. Elementary is as generic as a series can get. A filler series you see in every country on channels nobody watches.

BBC Sherlock is completely unique and even though the last season was weaker, still one of the best shows ever made.

Sherlock is an entertaining show. I like it just fine, but I don't love it. My biggest gripe is the dude they got to play Moriarty. He fucking suuuuuucks.

One of the best villains ever written and acted in TV.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I can't really remember anything from Season 3 (and I've not seen Season 4 at all) but I'd say these are probably mostly fair comments, if a little extreme. The need to write "clever" stories as well as the deification of the lead are things that have showed up during Moffat's time on Doctor Who to varying degrees, and while they're far from deal-breakers for me, I can see why people aren't keen on them.

Not sure about that last point, though. As far as I'm aware, no show on the BBC has an "insane" budget, especially when compared with similar shows across the pond.

The example he uses is the bullet time wedding shots from Watson's wedding which required an expensive setup of dozens of cameras and serve...what function exactly?

Elementary.

Good lord.
Elementary at the very least is typically written by someone who understands the very basics of how events in a screenplay should be strung together to form a narrative, and it manages this with like 20 episodes a season. Sherlock has 3 episodes a series and can't even make it to series 3 before becoming literally nonsense

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No, I'd think they're 'babies' because despite not wanting to watch the video the thread is predicated on they still want to comment on the idea of the video.

Because a video critique that's longer than an entire season of the thing it's critiquing just might be a tad overdone? Nah couldn't be it... :p

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The example he uses is the bullet time wedding shots from Watson's wedding which required an expensive setup of dozens of cameras and serve...what function exactly?
Sherlock has always been prone to over direction and over stylization, but the worst example was the vase breaking transitions in S4E1. It's a Windows Movie Maker-tier effect, and in one moment it created momentary confusion that a bomb had gone off or something.

wrowa

I really can't stand this clickbait-ey nonsense anymore. Sherlock might not be the best series in the world, but it's certainly not "garbage" by any means. Calling it that is just overexaggerated nonsense. I'm just sick and tired of people feeling the need to exaggerate their opinions into the extremes, just because that's what you do on the internet to get heard.

I don't even care if the video's good. I'm sure he makes valid points and in all likelihood the actual video is a lot more nuanced than the video title makes it appear. He might have done great work all things considered. But you know what? I'm just over this. I don't want to disregard a title anymore just because "clickbaits are neccessary to get clicks!". If you do a detailed two hour video give it a proper name and I'm in, but I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt anymore.

He and his peers can live just fine without me though and that's fine, I just needed to vent a bit. :p

Valtýr

My girlfriend isn't a bit fan of Sherlock for a lot of the same reasons this guy lists, and feels the same about Moffat in-regard to his treatment to the series and also Doctor Who.

She also likes Elementary better than Sherlock because it has better characters and it treats its characters better.

shem935

Banned
Okay watched the whole thing. A lot of his complaints could apply to the RDJ sherlock movies but from what I've seen in his video it seems the movies are better than the TV show.

peakish

Because a video critique that's longer than an entire season of the thing it's critiquing just might be a tad overdone? Nah couldn't be it... :p
It's too long, but it's still just barely longer than a single episode, nevermind an entire season.

I really can't stand this clickbait-ey nonsense anymore. Sherlock might not be the best series in the world, but it's certainly not "garbage" by any means. Calling it that is just overexaggerated nonsense. I'm just sick and tired of people feeling the need to exaggerate their opinions into the extremes, just because that's what you do on the internet to get heard.

I don't even care if the video's good. I'm sure he makes valid points and in all likelihood the actual video is a lot more nuanced than the video title makes it appear. He might have done great work all things considered. But you know what? I'm just over this. I don't want to disregard a title anymore just because "clickbaits are neccessary to get clicks!". If you do a detailed two hour video give it a proper name and I'm in, but I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt anymore.

He and his peers can live just fine without me though and that's fine, I just needed to vent a bit. :p
Yeah, I get that this is a "series" ("_ is garbage, here's why") of his but it's bad naming. A good title can convey a message in more detail.

17MRHOLMES-master1050.jpg

There have been a bunch of Holmes adaptations lately, but the only one I've actually thought was great was Ian McKellen's Mr. Holmes.
I keep meaning to watch this. I mean...how can one go wrong with Sherlock + Ian McKellan? That's great casting. Maybe I'll go grab this tonight from Family Video and finally give it a go.

Yeah. It is pretty damn frustrating. And what really sucks is that a lot of YouTube channels I love are doing it lately. I just have to take a deep breath and force myself to look beyond the title. I really don't know if the fault lies with the people making these titles, or an audience that maybe wants everything sensationalized and over-the-top. We live in a world where you can't go a day without some news article that says something like "Read how Bob SLAMMED Tony's take on blah blah blah". Or someone gets demolished, hammered, eaten alive, whatever. Then you read the article and go "oh...that one little comment was it?"

Eidan

I feel ya. It's hard not to eye roll when people feel the need to describe everything they're not enamored with as "trash".

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Steven Moffat truly is Britain's Damon Lindelof.

This is a perfect comparison. Somewhat talented writers terrible at story construction, given to just making shit up with no narrative support and up their own ass about how 'genius' they are.

I'm stealing this!

Eidan

This is a perfect comparison. Somewhat talented writers terrible at story construction, given to just making shit up with no narrative support and up their own ass about how 'genius' they are.

I'm stealing this!
Moffat and Lindelof are up their own asses about how genius they are? Examples?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'm stealing this!

I've been calling him the Zack Snyder of British TV because he's very skilled at the craft of making a scene that appears dramatic or emotional and absolutely abysmal at constructing any of the context to make such a scene actually land. But I think Lindelof might be better

Mr. Sam

Hbomberguy actually has two video series: "[Blank] is Garbage, And Here's Why" and, if I'm remembering correctly, "In Defense of [Blank]". No prizes for guessing which ones are positive and which aren't.

In his defense, he's saying something's bad. Very bad. For which "garbage" is a synonym. I don't see how that's hyperbole.

Top Bottom