• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Headphones or Speakers

timlot

Banned
Tried headphones because I wanted to feel like "a real gamer", but the isolation is just too unnatural for me. Plus there is a 5.1 or 7.1 system in every room of my house.

Outrun

I would take my Marantz receiver and paradigm speakers over a headset. I just like the feeling of true surround sound and bass resonating from the walls.

willywonka159

Neo Member
Headphones all the way. IMO, it just creates better immersion. Also, I turn it up pretty loud without disturbing those around me and neighbors, etc.

I have the Sony Pulse headphones, but they can get heavy and uncomfortable after a while, so I'll throw on my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's.

ghostjoke

Banned
A good pair of comfortable headphones. Don't want outside noise suddenly breaking in when watching/playing/listening to something.

if/when I die in a fire, I want this on my tombstone.

Ninjatogo

Headphones for me, makes competitive gaming much easier when you can hear every detail around you. Take Battlefield 4 for instance, enemy footsteps are often too quiet when playing with speakers to notice, but with headphones you'll never be surprise knifed again.

If a game has great music/sound FX I always try to use headphones. Currently using a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s, for $30(US) they produce sound that is comparable or better than most gaming headsets.

I prefer headphones over speakers any day if I'm watching or playing games by myself. Its so much easier to drown out background noise and I can get a better audio experience for a lot less money.

dr_rus

Both. Headphones will never be able to produce sound as good as a nice 5.1+ speaker setup but sometimes they are preferable.

IvorB

I use a Tannoy 5.1 speaker set paired with a Yamaha receiver. It works really well although I will probably update the receiver soon. Oh and not forgetting the Auralex Subdude (subwoofer isolation platform) for better bass response and to spare my neighbours.

Speakers for me, although that's mostly because due to my glasses I get headaches when over-the-ear headphones press against my glasses (and earbuds hurt my ears after a while).

Jedi2016

For most PC games I use headphones, good ones. I do have speakers hooked up for non-game use (watching YT vids and such) and a handful of games that don't really rely too much on sound (Diablo 3 comes to mind). I've got a good sound system hooked up downstairs for console games.

Shojx

As someone who's a bit obsessed with headphones, I always prefer them... for music.

But I pretty much never use them for gaming.

I did for Hotline Miami though; doing so should be a rule for playing.

My favorite headphones are the V-MODA M-100, which are perfect if you like a boost in bass and some extra body to your sound. I really want to try gaming with them more than I have, I'm just... lazy.

Ogawa-san

Two things I can't deal with: missing audio details (due to background noise, bad acoustics, etc) and bothering other people with whatever I'm listening to. So headphones for me, I can't play without them.

I'd love to use speakers though, I'm yet to find a set of cans that are truly comfortable - the kind you actually forget you're wearing even after a few hours. But even ignoring rule #2, to beat what I get from $50 headphones I'd have to spend 5x more on speakers.

geomon

I've tried headphones and it's just not for me. The fidelity just isn't there as you would get with a decent 5.1 setup.

Earphones or headphones are alright but my ears get hot after a while so I can't wear them for too long. I prefer a good speaker system.

nikos

I've only used studio monitors or headphones when gaming on PC. Can't deal with bad sound, it's just as, if not more, important as visuals IMO. For consoles, either home theater or headphones.

Lum1n3s

I alternate between the two, I have a pair of Hyper X Cloud 2 headphones as well as the Logitech Z523 speakers.

I got a surround sound 7.1 Denon system with Infinity tower speakers and a Polk Audio subwoofer and I think it sounds great considering how old it is. I always think about buying some headphones for the night, but honestly, it seems like the really good ones with surround sound cost almost as much as an entire surround sound receiver. Cheapest early heigh end headphones I've seen are $50 for the Sony headphones or headset with 7.1. Might get that later, but imo nothing beats a good surround sound system with sound and bass bouncing off your walls. People who do not have surround sound of some type do not know what they are missing. I cannot play games though TV speakers anymore.

I find it much more difficult to use Headphones while trying to talk with others, so I usually have one cup slightly out of place so I could hear my surroundings and my voice. The Ps gold headsets have been pretty solid for chat and even in game sound.

Acrylic7

I find it much more difficult to use Headphones while trying to talk with others, so I usually have one cup slightly out of place so I could hear my surroundings and my voice. The Ps gold headsets have been pretty solid for chat and even in game sound.

Forgot to mention that I do this a lot. Sometimes it does feel weird to not hear stuff thats happening outside of games, music and movies.

Duxxy3

I got a surround sound 7.1 Denon system with Infinity tower speakers and a Polk Audio subwoofer and I think it sounds great considering how old it is. I always think about buying some headphones for the night, but honestly, it seems like the really good ones with surround sound cost almost as much as an entire surround sound receiver. Cheapest early heigh end headphones I've seen are $50 for the Sony headphones or headset with 7.1. Might get that later, but imo nothing beats a good surround sound system with sound and bass bouncing off your walls. People who do not have surround sound of some type do not know what they are missing. I cannot play games though TV speakers anymore.

High end headphones are strictly stereo. I've used dolby headphones and strongly prefer regular stereo for every application. Surround headphones are not comparable to true surround sound systems.

jett

D-Member
I love my Sennheisers. I don't use them as much anymore because as I've grown older I've also grown more careful of my hearing, but nothing beats a good pair of cans.

SZips

Headphones. I used to use some cheaper 5.1 Logitech surround sound speakers. I still have them but the two rear speakers don't work now. If I'm the only one around and it's the middle of the day, I may still use the speakers just for the use of the sub-woofer and the fun of having music be heard anywhere I am in the house. However, I prefer the headphones for the audio clarity and noise cancellation that speakers don't provide. This is especially useful while streaming or recording video or simply talking to friends on Teamspeak. It's also obviously useful at night.

I've used Corsair headphones for the past couple of years, but am presently using some V-Moda Crossfade 100s (because of a review). Before these I never really appreciated how much of a difference there was in more expensive audio equipment that makes use of more premium hardware.

joecanada

Well straight facts are that a 7.1 system is going to shit on any headphones, the range of various speakers, sizes, etc can never be matched by tiny drivers in headphones but having said that I enjoy headphones very much and they serve a great purpose for quiet gaming...
Subwoofer announcing every tank shell in bf4 is not always welcomed in the house lol

I would have to say both but if you like quiet times get headphones first

I sold my surround system 1 month after i got some A50' for gaming. The sound is way better and don't have to worry about neighbors.

High end headphones are strictly stereo. I've used dolby headphones and strongly prefer regular stereo for every application. Surround headphones are not comparable to true surround sound systems.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information. I always assumed the headphones were trying to emulate true surround sound, but in stereo.

Anteater

I don't have a high standard and I think it's more effort to have good speakers set up and plus I can't use them at night, so I prefer headphones, for video games I just need clarity and hearing where things are and sound cues.

Robaperas

I used to have a FiiO E10 DAC, but it has no positional audio, so I really can't recommend it for anything 3D; now I own a pair of inexpensive Sony SRS-A212 speakers, a bunch of cheap but good IEM's, and a pair of modded Koss KSC75 (Great choice for your friend, cheap and open back, they use the same driver as the PortaPro), as all of them are in the low end and are easy to drive, I just use the on-board sound, and a cheap USB DAC modded with better capacitors.

I like headphones better, but it really depends of the game.

Armaly

PC - Fiio E09k+E17+ M50s
PS4/PS3- Either tv audio,M50s+Mod mic with a y connector, or Sony golds if i'm feeling lazy/need less wire clutter

I get paranoid as Hell when I have headphones on. I always feel like someone is walking in my room behind me and I will never know lol. Anytime I have my headphones on I am constantly looking over my shoulder to see if anyone is there. I also have dogs, so if they come in my room, I like to know. For all of these reasons, I prefer shitty speakers...and the very rare times I have headphones on, I keep one ear uncovered

Headphones all the way. Ever watch a movie on living room speakers where the dynamics of the audio are such that you're always turning the volume up for dialogue and down for explosions? Same thing with games, and headphones don't have that problem. Having said that, iPod earbuds are never the optimal way to listen to anything. Get some real headphones like my M4Us.

lol those are almost the cost of a ps4

I am not a PC gamer, but I can say one thing.

Pretty 4k and 120fps is great I am sure. A high quality sound system though is incredible.

High quality audio makes thing so much more immersive.

I know that having a full 5.1/7.1/or whatever maybe impractical for some, but do yourself a favour (if you can).

Get the best audio set up that will fit with your gaming rig space and budget. The same applies to TV and console games too.

Edit: and if a good quality audio set up is not plausible due to space limitations, get high quality headphones.

Robcat

Banned
I used to use a cheap 5.1 at my old house. When I got married I figured I would buy a good 5.1 and it sounds amazing. The only problem is that my wife is always complaining it's to loud and i had a baby so I got the astro a50s. I moving into a bigger house in a couple months where I can finally crank the volume and no one will hear me. Headphones are good but a good surround sound system will always be better for me.

Philips Fidelio X2 for my PC:

507788875_713016570_o.jpg

Same, and I power it with my audio engine DAC.

These are seriously the most comfortable headphones I have ever used; super light weight on my head, and my ears don't actually hit the insides of the cans. First pair I can wear literally all day and not have a single issue.

AnnTiPa

Used to wear headphones all the time. At some point they started to feel uncomfortable after wearing them for a while, no idea why (Beyerdynamic DT-770). Now I use them for the first playthrough and only if I really want to enjoy the music properly. After that it's TV speakers all the way (not as bad as you think, my TV has rather good sound quality).

Hypron

I've been using these (Sennheiser HD555) for about 6 years and they still work great:

sennheiser_hd5552.jpg

I use them mainly at night to be sure I don't wake up the neighbours. At the moment they are connected to a SMSL SD-793II DAC/heaphone amp:

I also have two old hifi speakers connected to a SMSL SA-36A Pro amp which I use mainly during the day (it's more comfortable than having to wear heaphones and the sound is pretty decent).

I get paranoid as Hell when I have headphones on. I always feel like someone is walking in my room behind me and I will never know lol. Anytime I have my headphones on I am constantly looking over my shoulder to see if anyone is there. I also have dogs, so if they come in my room, I like to know. For all of these reasons, I prefer shitty speakers...and the very rare times I have headphones on, I keep one ear uncovered

Open headphones would solve that issue. They are not isolated so you can still hear what's going on outside.

VulpX

Mostly headset for PC, and home theater for console.

Question for those sporting an external amp/dac set up in combination with headphones: is it possible to generate virtual surround on your headphones?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Been using 5.1 system for the past 5 years, but now I'm leaning towards headphones, despite being uncomfortable with pretty much every headphone, my head is just weird. I use ASTRO MixAmp with Bose QuietComfort 25 for my console gaming.

All my console gaming is done on the couch, so the only time headphones are an option is for the PS4. Meanwhile, headphones are the default for handhelds (Vita and Mobile).

I used to go for the on-ear design, since I never wanted to lug around an over-ear design around, while in-ear models never liked my ears (kept falling out).

Problem was I would always feel pressure and pain with on-ear headphones, and I've gone through various designs.

I'm now using the Bose QC20, which has that helpful curve within that keeps it in my ear.

395842-bose-quietcomfort-20-main.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention, my current 5.1 setup is a Harmon Kardon set. Served me well for 3 years and counting.

Top Bottom