• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Headphones or Speakers

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
If I'm playing solo I use speakers but in multiplayer games I use headphones.

Speaking of headphones can someone recommend a good set of over ear for a glasses wearer. I never liked in ear an on ear are right out.

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't invested in good headphones, but been buying cheap $20-$40 buds and earphones for the past 3 years. They almost never leave my head when I'm in my dorm. I prefer just being able to hear things I want and not bothering other people. They also really help in some games I play, like CS:GO, and MGSV. If my roommate wants to talk he usually will throw something at me or tap my shoulder.

Also I want to get some good headphones but I don't really know what would be the best bang for my buck. Does anyone have any recommendations, I plan on using these mainly for PC and possibly the Xbox One.

Speakers. I generally only use headphones for music. I really need to buy that optical audio adapter for my 360 soon... TV speakers are pretty meh and all my component consoles can easily be played through my soundbar.

Murugo

The resident upstairs gets angry if I play anything higher than 20% volume on my speakers. So headphones.

But believe me, if I weren't in an apartment, I'd blast that volume all day.

TSM

As much as I love my headphones, certain experiences lack when you aren't feeling that sonic energy being created by a good subwoofer. That sub 20 hz bass just energizes the room. Of course said subwoofer will be why any adjacent neighbors hate you, but it's worth it.

Mozendo

Headphones, more immersive than speakers IMO.
I wear my AKG 240s all day and never had any discomfort so that's another plus.

Headphones are super uncomfortable. Wearing them while playing 3 hour sessions of Counter Strike would feel like torture. Every headphones I've ever worn just like... Make me feel like my glasses are being pushed in.

Zanosuke

Since I live in an apartment I haven't dared to use my 5.1-system too much but I upgraded my headphones to Sennheiser Momentum earlier this year and together with Sound Blaster Zx I'm very pleased with the result. They are super comfy and the sound quality is terrific :)

Headphones every day of the week, learned this once I got some nice sony earbuds and plugged them into the PS4 controller. From then on I invested in some Astro overhear headphones, mostly for that awesome mixer. Plus I was born with tinnitus so I tend to prefer sound that distracts from that noise.

There are just nuances you don't pick up otherwise. The easy one is pragmatic, you can hear where people are. So helpful in MGS or any given shooter.

And you don't pick up on stuff otherwise. Listening to witcher 3's witcher senses, hearing branches snap in the distance is unreal. A lot of that relies on the position of the noise relative you your location, and headphone really increase the immersiveness of that.

It's VR for your ears, given the quality of your set up of course.

Don't have much speaker experience though, using some old Sony stereo that still has a mini disc slot (remember those?!), and but on my limited memory of surround set ups, you could probably get something amazing.

There's nothing like the thud of a good subwoofer.

Hypron

I used to prefer headphones but lately I've been using mainly speakers. My tinnitus is more noticeable when using headphones, even on low volume.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've never particularly liked headphones. I used to have some high end ones, and a nice amp, but I kinda hate having to wear something on my head. Switched to using audio monitors at my desktop, and it's been amazing ever since.

ref

I prefer headphones, but I think given time exposed to good speakers I'd probably be fine with them.

Using Sennhesier HD 598's right now. I used all the 'entry level, high recommended' ones as well, like the ATH-AD700's/M50's

2scoops

I've used headphones almost exclusively for years now. Only time I don't use them is when there are other people around, then I use the shitty built in TV speakers. I like to get immersed in my games and movies while also not disturbing others around the house. This way I can get the thing at a nice volume which drowns out outside noise (others around the house, kids and idiots in the street screaming because this neighbourhood is shit etc).

I use these at the moment. Got them from a sale a while back. Best headphones I've ever owned.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AODGGL0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
413MYWHsXbL.jpg

I use these ones as well. And in my opinion the best I've ever owned too. Really good noise canceling and very comfortable with a great sound range. My wife suprised me with these one day and now I use them for everything.

Salbug

Used to use a 5.1 Logitech Speaker setup, but moved on to headphones since it's just better, and I wouldn't have to worry about the volume at night. The Audio-Technica M50's (Well besides the M50x I'm sure.) are the best under $200 budget headphones I've ever owned. Utter bliss to my my eardrums for days I tell ya, and once I got them broke in they're really good, and comfortable for long sessions.

Used to use a 5.1 Logitech Speaker setup, but moved on to headphones since it's just better, and I wouldn't have to worry about the volume at night. The Audio-Technica M50's (Well besides the M50x I'm sure.) are the best under $200 budget headphones I've ever owned. Utter bliss to my my eardrums for days I tell ya, and once I got them broke in they're really good, and comfortable for long sessions.

are they good for gaming though? no 5.1 or 7.1

Piers

Headphones because in this country, detached housing is incredibly expensive.
In fact right now there are some assholes that are sticking their speakers up at crazy levels at midnight.

A set of top-notch speakers perfectly placed in an ideal room will by definition better any headphone, no matter how fancy it is.

However, that's really hard to do (mostly because of the room part), so it's easier (cheaper) to get detailed sound from headphones.

Headphones and In-Ear Monitors have a similar relation.

Go to Head-fi.org. Experts will answer your question.

Head-fi is shit. Don't do it.

A decent set of open headphones is super immersive. Been playing W3 and BF4 on my HD598's with virtual surround on and it's amazing.

PillarEN

A set of top-notch speakers perfectly placed in an ideal room will by definition better any headphone, no matter how fancy it is.

However, that's really hard to do (mostly because of the room part), so it's easier (cheaper) to get detailed sound from headphones.

Headphones and In-Ear Monitors have a similar relation.

Head-fi is shit. Don't do it.

Mind helping out the average person and point them to websites that are good for figuring out if a certain pair of headphones are worth checking out or not?

I have 5.1 system and I really like to use them, but my walls are thin so I use my Sennheiser HD 280. But it hurts after an hour or two. I'll buy some in ears instead soon.

I have 5.1 system and I really like to use them, but my walls are thin so I use my Sennheiser HD 280. But it hurts after an hour or two. I'll buy some in ears instead soon.

good god, no, son. in-ear buds for playing games/watching movies/listening to music? ew.

why does it hurt, because you have the volume too loud or do you mean the fit of the headphones themselves?

you should get the HD 598's, they're like slipping marshmallows over your ears.

Mind helping out the average person and point them to websites that are good for figuring out if a certain pair of headphones are worth checking out or not?

You really should just find a place that sells heaps of them and just try them out.
It really is such a subjective thing. You can't rely on the opinions of people you don't know.
I could tell you to try out Beyerdynamic DT 990s or Sony MDR1As but you could hear them and hate them.

The only thing you'll get from Head-fi is what's flavour of the month and what's expensive.
And you'll also get a load of bullshit adjectives to try and describe sound.
Unfortunately a lot of it comes down to what you (and your ears) respond to.

Dazza

Do not go here unless you want to end up spending lots and lots of money.

But seriously there are some good gaming threads over there

Nah it's fine, just give them a budget, ask for the current bang for your buck or giant killers for gaming, go and buy your gear and this is the most important part, don't ever go back to the site again :) otherwise you'll get stuck in a upgraditis vortex

Tommy DJ

There isn't really one unless you develop a really good bullshit detector. The problem with audio is a lot of people make it a lot more subjective than it really should be. The #1 way to bust through a lot of bullshit is to understand how measurements work because that gives you a baseline to:
  • Understand forum user preferences
  • Tell if someone is actually being consistent with their preferences or is just really bullshiting/shilling/fishing for review samples/beholden to advertisers. This is the #1 problem I have with Head-Fi.
  • Understand what your own preferences are so you know what headphones you will definitely hate and which you will like
The story I always like to tell is Stereophile's review of the Sonus Faber Stradivari. The publication, unlike many other audiophile reviewers, actually provide measurements. The problem is that, since so many audiophiles think audio is 10000% subjective, the subjective review and measurement sections are done by different people and are practically separate entities.

But because Stereophile actually provides measurements, it lets you either read between the lines or see if the subjective review has any merit at all. In the subjective written review by Michael Fremer, he says that the Sonus Faber Stradivari have:
deep, tactile, well-controlled, pitch-perfect, solid bass
The problem with that statement is that it completely contradicts the measurements as Sonus Faber Stradivari has a huge low end hump that is 10 dB louder than anything else. This was measured in an anechoic chamber so this bass will likely be even louder in an actual room taking into consideration your typical room modes. It definitely was when I walked into an ongoing demo at Carlton Audio, a local audio store. So Michael Fremer can write what he wants but I cannot see any way he is correct in his opinion unless you have a room the size of a basketball court.

Anyway, Tyll from Inner Fidelity is one of the better guys for headphone reviews since he measures his headphones and his opinions are generally very consistent and fall in line with what he actually measures. He also doesn't correlate $$$ or aesthetics with sound quality either. Changstar/Super Best Audio Friends are alright too if you're just there for measurements...I'd only stay for the measurements though.

good god, no, son. in-ear buds for playing games/watching movies/listening to music? ew.

why does it hurt, because you have the volume too loud or do you mean the fit of the headphones themselves?

Good IEMs are actually more economical than headphones IMHO. Comparing IEMs to headphones, I feel the low end spectrum of IEMs are better than your similarly priced headphone and the high end IEMs are actually potentially worth your money unlike the majority of flagship headphones currently on the market.

Past your $400 headphones or your entry level electrostats (Stax 207 or Koss ESP950), full sized headphones just have too many fundamental engineering problems that most manufacturers just can't be bothered dealing with. Realtalk, I feel a $250 to $400 pair of JBL LSR305 are fundamentally better than any kilobuck headphone on the market and have more care put into them than the vast majority of headphones in this price bracket too. That's how low my opinion for "flagship" headphones are.

Used to be a (cheap) speakers guy, but now I'm using an awesome pair of sennheisers. Don't think I'll go back tbh.

Speakers are too loud anyway, and I don't live alone atm.

PillarEN

Long post

Cool, thanks. Yeah I know with audio there is lots of subjectivity and I figure I have a decent eye for reading between the lines and picking up on the general culture of a discussion board/website. I'm glad you pointed out some interesting sources. Something to add to my bookmarks next time I want to dig for info before my next purchase.

I've just woken up and seen this, but Tommy DJ's post hits the nail on the head. I'll second the notion that Inner Fidelity and Changstar are generally less bullshit than the average.

Ultimately the best way to make a choice in audio is to hear the 'phones/speakers yourself with well-recorded material, under appropriate listening conditions, with matching upstream gear - and by matching I don't mean "a DAC that costs ten times the headphone because Head-fi told me so".

Unfortunately that's really hard. Not as much if you live in the US or Europe, as there are audio stores that even let you make an appointment to do just that. If you live in South America like me, you're more or less out of luck and I'd recommend sticking to well-known (and well-measuring) crowd-pleasers such as Sennheiser's HD 650 to avoid getting a sound you didn't bargain for.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
A lot of people saying they can hear more with Headphones and having to adjust volume on a AV sounds like they don't know how to setup dynamic range.
I hear grain of sand fall from the other side of my room with my setup.
You get the surrounding sounds with Headphones but the depth is limited.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TV during the day, shitty earbuds during the night. I'm not too much of an audiophile so it doesn't affect me any.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i mainly use speakers for my PC. don't have anything against headphones though. thinking about buying a good set. i only have cheap £10 sony ones at the moment for my phone. looking at audio technica (ath-m50x or similiar).

A lot of people saying they can hear more with Headphones and having to adjust volume on a AV sounds like they don't know how to setup dynamic range.
I hear grain of sand fall from the other side of my room with my setup.
You get the surrounding sounds with Headphones but the depth is limited.

It's not just a matter of dynamic range. A headphone's response is less tampered by room acoustics than the average untreated living room - specifically if that headphone is open. This will make the sound less "muddy" and thus more detailed when there's a lot of stuff going on.

Sony PS Golds aren't really a good benchmark for headphones to be honest.
That could be said about the examples of speakers that people prefer headphones to as well.

I'm seriously surprised how headphones is so dominant. No headphones has ever duplicated the spatial sense that a decent 5.1 setup has.

I never really bother with speakers. I only use headphones when I play handheld consoles though, because their speakers are really bad. For example, Etrian Odyssey IV's music is much high quality than the speakers can output.

PillarEN

That could be said about the examples of speakers that people prefer headphones to as well.

I'm seriously surprised how headphones is so dominant. No headphones has ever duplicated the spatial sense that a decent 5.1 setup has.

Maybe lots of posters live in apartments? I would get a nice set up if I could but the apartment I live in does not insulate sound perfectly (I know rich playboy Tabris isn't aware of this *shakes fist*) and I take it that's the case for most apartment living situations. In a house it becomes a no brainer to get a booming set up.

Realtalk, I feel a $250 to $400 pair of JBL LSR305 are fundamentally better than any kilobuck headphone on the market and have more care put into them than the vast majority of headphones in this price bracket too. That's how low my opinion for "flagship" headphones are.

I have a pair of Yamaha HS5s and I would really disappointed if that's true. I like them but I feel they are barely any better than my (now dead) GR07s. Of course, having a cheap, consumer 8" subwoofer backing them and zero room treatment helps.

TunaLover

Have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver with loudspeakers and it's glorious, enjoy uncompressed audio and never look back, bad thing I never got the chance to gaming with it at max volume.

Anyway, I know headphones are getting better and better, I would love buy a quality ones to use with my receiver BUT I hate cords so... I just use an apple phones plugged to my Gamepad when playing off the TV.

Well I can use it too when I travel without messing up my hair hahaha!

The sound is perfect since it's a monitoring headphone but it feels tight around my ears after an hour or two. I sweat like a bitch too which sucks.

SJRB

Gold Member
ALWAYS headphones. Not only are basic TV speakers garbage, there's no need to bother neighbours or whatever with my gaming audio.

Maybe lots of posters live in apartments? I would get a nice set up if I could but the apartment I live in does not insulate sound perfectly (I know rich playboy Tabris isn't aware of this *shakes fist*) and I take it that's the case for most apartment living situations. In a house it becomes a no brainer to get a booming set up.
I figure there would be plenty of people who lived in an apartment, but I would have expected a lot more replies to favor speakers than what had shown up. It feels way more dominant towards headphones even factoring that in.

Top Bottom