• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads Up Everyone !! Halo 3 Limited Edition Big Disc Problems !!

voltron

g35twinturbo said:
wtf

people make it seem like its the end of the fucking world. My collectors edition cam perfectly fine. gez!

Well its totally unnecessary. Even if the scratches are just superficial and the disk still works no one wants a brand new game that they just paid money for to have ANY scratches on it. Also considering the longevity the Halo games have due to MP if the disk already has scratches it likely decreases its life.

Just a retarded thing that did not need to happen.

k79

Banned
Hooterville said:
crap02.jpg

Can't finish the fight?

Anyways .... sucks.

painey

i've got the collectors edition pre-ordered.. shit! I nearly had to get a crowbar to get my Bioshock disk out of the steel tin but id rather it be too secure than loose!

KRS7

Damn this sucks, sometimes I think Microsoft is thier own worse enemy. Cutting cost is an important part of any company's business. But Microsoft needs to test these thing out more. If they need to replace a good percentage of these disc it is going to cost them more in the long run. They are being really short sighted with some of their quality control.

Unfortunately this isn't the first scratched disc problem Microsoft has had to deal with, but thankfully they already have a program in place. They need add Halo 3 to their disc replacement program. You send in a scratched disc, they mail you a new one. But that won't going to make me any happier if my copy is scratched up.

Barnolde

Banned
So fucking stupid, same shit with the lack of felt on the DVD drive to prevent scratches from that beast.

Regular version ftw.

pringles

I had the Legendary edition preordered months ago, since that is the one I WANT (not because of the helmet, despite the helmet).
Just found out earlier this week that I won't be getting one since they don't get enough of them. Sucks, because they told me when I asked about it last week that there shouldn't be a problem for me to get one since I had a good place in line.

So anyway, I ordered the limited. Now I see this, and jesus fucking christ, I might have to get the standard version.. when the Legendary is what I actually want to get :(

How come the biggest games for the 360 so far, Oblivion, Gears of War and Halo 3, have all had horrible limited edition packagings? Don't they do ANY kind of testing?

pringles

Dualist said:
Wait where did you pre-order? Thats fucked up
From Webhallen (in Sweden). Yeah, I was pretty pissed.
I have one last hope to get a hold of a Legendary edition, but it's a long shot, otherwise I'm getting the regular. I'm not taking the risk of getting an unplayable disc on the release.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am going to calmly wait this out and accept there is nothing I can do about it. When FedEx shows up on Tuesday, I will calmly open the door, gently take the box from the courier's hands, thank him, gingerly close the door, and oh so carefully tilt the case and see if I hear the discs moving. If they are moving, I will immediately get in my truck, race down to Costco, buy the first CE that isn't shaking, race home, and fire it it into the X360. Later, I will return the disc rattling piece of ill-designed MS packaging to Costco for a full refund. simple

sheesh

DenogginizerOS said:
I am going to calmly wait this out and accept there is nothing I can do about it. When FedEx shows up on Tuesday, I will calmly open the door, gently take the box from the courier's hands, thank him, gingerly close the door, and oh so carefully tilt the case and see if I hear the discs moving. If they are moving, I will immediately get in my truck, race down to Costco, buy the first CE that isn't shaking, race home, and fire it it into the X360. Later, I will return the disc rattling piece of ill-designed MS packaging to Costco for a full refund. simple

sheesh
It's you box shakers that are dislodging the discs in the first place!

Juice

sucks for losers who buy the High Margin Edition of games.

Gameflying games of interest has paid off once again. Buying games at $60 is for people who hate money.

(cue picture of Zoidberg with his conservative sandwich portfolio)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Juice said:
sucks for losers who buy the High Margin Edition of games.

Gameflying games of interest has paid off once again. Buying games at $60 is for people who hate money.

(cue picture of Zoidberg with his conservative sandwich portfolio)
Halo 3 will still be played 2 years from now by Me. That would be $14.95 X 24.

NekoFever

I wish all limited editions came in the same cases as the Lost Planet and BioShock tins. They're sturdy, look good, and hold the discs well. Even the big one that Gears came in feels flimsy and scratches if you look at it wrongly.

KRS7 said:
Damn this sucks, sometimes I think Microsoft is thier own worse enemy. Cutting cost is an important part of any company's business. But Microsoft needs to test these thing out more. If they need to replace a good percentage of these disc it is going to cost them more in the long run. They are being really short sighted with some of their quality control.

Unfortunately this isn't the first scratched disc problem Microsoft has had to deal with, but thankfully they already have a program in place. They need add Halo 3 to their disc replacement program. You send in a scratched disc, they mail you a new one. But that won't going to make me any happier if my copy is scratched up.

You realize that it's likely that MS did not manufacture and test this box themselves. Undoubtedly they have an arrangement with a physical publisher who offers, among their many wares, this, the X280 CD case (or whatever) that is part of their standard fleet of cardboard CD cases and thus MS most likely figured that like the rest of this physical publisher's wares, it would work fine.

Last Hope

This is hard to believe.

Oh right, it is MS.

I am sure that disk in the picture would play just fine however it is astonishing how MS can miss so many errors over and over again that end up making such a huge impact.

BenjaminBirdie said:
You realize that it's likely that MS did not manufacture and test this box themselves. Undoubtedly they have an arrangement with a physical publisher who offers, among their many wares, this, the X280 CD case (or whatever) that is part of their standard fleet of cardboard CD cases and thus MS most likely figured that like the rest of this physical publisher's wares, it would work fine.

Don't worry, people will start blaming Bungie soon enough.

Last Hope said:
This is hard to believe.

Oh right, it is MS.

I am sure that disk in the picture would play just fine however it is astonishing how MS can miss so many errors over and over again that end up making such a huge impact.

It was seriously right above your post. There's no way you could have missed it.

Deliberate plot by MS get more people to buy the LE.

Believe.

Seriously though that sucks. If I had a Live account and time I would get Halo 3.

Once the guy hands me my halo 3 CE tin im going to open it in front of them, always works if the game looks even the slightest damaged.

Demigod Mac

Diablohead said:
Once the guy hands me my halo 3 CE tin im going to open it in front of them, always works if the game looks even the slightest damaged.

That's when they tell you that they only received enough copies to fill all the pre-orders.

Demigod Mac said:
That's when they tell you that they only received enough copies to fill all the pre-orders.
If worse comes to worse and my CE is scratched from transport, i'd ask for a regular copy (should have enough?) and £5 back.

bheemer

there is a huge multi page thread on this on bungie.net and none of the mods have commented. really sad if you ask me.

painey

Zeitgeister said:
I just hope the PAL (LE) box doesn't have this problem.

Either that, or it's gonna be a really fast return to sender. :(

PAL Collectors Edition DOES have this problem. The place where I have ordered (shopto.net) have said they will shake the CE boxes before they send them and any with a loose disk wont be shipped out.. but of course there is always the risk during transit.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
MS cant catch a rest. Their software engineers are amazing, but the rest of them are really mediocre.

Kildace said:
This is unforgiveable. How could you have fucked this up Microsoft / Bungie?
It is not Bungie, but they already made a similar fuck up with a past game which would erase you hard drive if you deleted it in a weird way. They ended up replacing all the copies, and made no profit because of it. Lets hope this situation doesnt end up being the same.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
BenjaminBirdie said:
You realize that it's likely that MS did not manufacture and test this box themselves.

So, MS have a solid case to claim damages from the manufacturer? If so then I expect MS to offer a recall program for people that receive a damaged CD out of the box. Hopefully, this is not widespread, since it is going to put a damper on the whole launch once the gaming media and blogs start reporting it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
too late to cancel my gamestop.com order, apparently. this is going to be entertaining. and by 'entertaining' i mean 'infuriating.' bungie spends three years developing an ambitious game full of crazy network features, and by all accounts pulls the thing off beautifully, but thousands of people will have their launch day ruined because microsoft can't find A FUNCTIONAL BOX TO PUT IT IN

bheemer said:
there is a huge multi page thread on this on bungie.net and none of the mods have commented. really sad if you ask me.
Poor Bungie. First the Beta incident and now this. I bet they are like, "God damn it Microsoft, not again."

drohne said:
too late to cancel my gamestop.com order, apparently. this is going to be entertaining. and by 'entertaining' i mean 'infuriating.' bungie spends three years developing an ambitious game full of crazy network features, and by all accounts pulls the thing off beautifully, but thousands of people will have their launch day ruined because microsoft can't find A FUNCTIONAL BOX TO PUT IT IN

All you can do is laugh. Think about it too much and you'll kill yourself.

123rl

painey said:
PAL Collectors Edition DOES have this problem. The place where I have ordered (shopto.net) have said they will shake the CE boxes before they send them and any with a loose disk wont be shipped out.. but of course there is always the risk during transit.

I saw a few PAL copies yesterday (we got a VERY small shipment of them) and they were all the same. Every LE had two loose discs in the box, both badly scratched. The one we tested seemed to play ok but they're getting sent back as faulty anyway. It's not like they could be sold in that condition

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
drohne said:
Microsoft don't manufacture the box, buddy.

Manp

if that happens just send it in and it will come back with the added heatsink... oh wait!

the same thing happened with my copy of Resistance that i got from the UK. but the disc was still perfect (they use a special protective surface on bluray discs iirc).

:)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Son of Godzilla said:
So just wondering, has this caused any DREs or is it just people upset their Sucker Editions aren't spit shined?
That basically. However, when you take in account that even in pack of 100 CD's that you can get for $20, all the disks are "spit shined" makes you feel like MS is not really that smart.

Top Bottom