• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health Care Vote Delayed Until After July 4th Recess

I vaguely remember reading that if they couldn't get it done this week that it would no longer be able to be implemented via the budget reconciliation process and it would require a full 60 votes. Is that correct?
The reconciliation deadline is more or less fake, they could wait until 12/31 to pass it if they wanted to. But eventually they need to move onto other things.

Vestal

Gold Member
true but for now

GAF! BRING ME L's!

Jm0hcyg.gif

Maxim726X

He wanted to pass it. Rand Paul being completely gone on it was likely a surprise to them. Others seemed like they could be pushed but he won't budge

Eh I'm not so sure.

I feel like the rumors floating that he wanted to bring it to the floor and watch it get killed, then he could focus on other issues is at least plausible.

Only three and a half years more to actually defend. If they lose this vote they will continue to sabotage the shit out of the ACA.
In spurts since they won't try something of this magnitude next year with midterms on the line. But yes, without success in midterms and 2020 there's a long path of this ahead.

Steel

Banned
Apparently Trump's been thinking that if this failed to go through like it did, then he'd just move on to taxes.

Of course, he said that last time, too.

Ponn

Banned
I'm getting deja vu. I wouldn't be celebrating yet, this is allowing the CBO hoopla to die down a bit, the initial bill reveal to cool down and the GOP to wrangle the votes they need.

Shy Fingers

Banned
As someone who works for an insurance broker, I just wanna know what I'm going to be dealing with already.

This bill is awful, and pretty much everyone on the insurance side agrees. Either do something or don't. Tired of this will-they-won't-they

mnannola

Yep, vote was too close to the CBO score.

Time to wait a month until people move on to something else, then pass it when media attention is down.

Steel

Banned
So get people's minds off it for a month and rush to pass in August.

By getting the moderates on board. Which would lose the tea partiers in the house that were compromised to to bring it to the senate. It might happen, but it's entirely plausible that they're stuck.

I think the GOP just might default to making the ACA collapse. Which they can do.

Paskil

Ron Johnson tried to call me yesterday and I missed the call. Assume it was just one of his staff responding to a few lines I had dropped him over the past few months. Good to see this is delayed at least.

e_i

I thought they were trying to pass this through reconciliation (to bypass a Dem fillabuster). Reconciliation bills are only given 10 days to vote on.

The Heller twist also shows how important governors can be. Sandoval, though a Republican, opposes this bill adamantly, as would several other GOP governors, most likely (e.g., Martinez in NM). Kasich in OH has expressed his opposition, but Senator Portman has yet to take a firm stance.

There is no place for that in our political discourse. Now or ever. Be better than that.

God forbid someone despises a person who is actively trying to rob health care from millions of people.

We can at least meet the Republicans and be polite about it like how they are politely presenting murder.

RPGCrazied

Go to your town halls people. Make your voices heard. I'm sure most of the GOP won't even hold them, but pick up the phone and voice your displeasure.

LifEndz

Has to be the most inept version of the GOP in this country's history. 7 plus years of repeal and replace and now with the the house, the senate and the presidency and they can't get anything done.

Hopefully, now they'll actually work with the other side to make health insurance better and not just crueler.

Top Bottom