• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Health Care Vote Delayed Until After July 4th Recess

Steel

Banned
Has to be the most inept version of the GOP in this country's history. The house, the senate and the presidency and can't get anything done.

Hopefully, now they'll actually work with the other side to make health insurance better and not just crueler.

HAHAHAHAAAAA. No, they'll just kneecap the ACA and blame it on the dems.

mnannola

I think the strangest thing about this bill is the lack of support. Are there ANY articles out there from reputable organizations that are for the bill? With Obamacare there was countless articles and analysis saying what it would do to help Americans. Where are those same articles for this bill? Am I just in a liberal bubble, or is this one of the least supported major bills in recent memory?

I hope we can just keep this delayed long enough for the midterms on the off chance that democrats can have a miracle win in congress

Vestal

Gold Member
giphy.gif

5yEHeDs.gif

rfield84

Banned
What?

I'm genuinely surprised, I thought he had already picked his two "no" votes and was ready to go with this.

McConnell has lost Sen. Paul, Sen. Lee, Sen. Heller, and Sen. Collins so far. More potential nos down the pipe with Sen. Murkowski and Sen. Cruz not having weighed in yet.

Foffy

Banned
Sounds like a win for the people for now.

But I wonder what fucking shit they'll add to it to make it pass, just like with the House version.

Also, as we pass the reconciliation period, wouldn't they now need Dems for it?

Steel

Banned
I think the strangest thing about this bill is the lack of support. Are there ANY articles out there from reputable organizations that are for the bill? With Obamacare there was countless articles and analysis saying what it would do to help Americans. Where are those same articles for this bill? Am I just in a liberal bubble, or is this one of the least supported major bills in recent memory?

Many conservative groups hate this bill, nah. Nobody outside the senate and house, and some insane trumpers, like this bill.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Have fun at the town halls!

They won't hold them.

Like, my representative hasn't held a town hall in months because the last time he did, he had to face hundreds of furious people upset about his support for the AHCA. Now, he just takes pre-screened questions over Facebook Live and calls it a town hall. Absolute joke.

Maxim726X

God forbid someone despises a person who is actively trying to rob health care from millions of people.

We can at least meet the Republicans and be polite about it like how they are politely presenting murder.

Yeah? Were you cheering when Scalise got shot, and almost killed?

Because according to this shit logic, that would totally be cool with you.

adj_noun

CNN site: HEALTH CARE VOTE DELAYED

Nbcnews site: WIDESPREAD CYBERATTACK HITS MAJOR EUROPEAN COMPANIES

Fox News site: LAP OF LUXURY: OBAMA'S LAVISH GLOBETROTTING VACATIONS RAISE DEMOCRATS' EYEBROWS

Tovarisc

CNN.com: HEALTH CARE VOTE DELAYED

Nbcnews.com: WIDESPREAD CYBERATTACK HITS MAJOR EUROPEAN COMPANIES

Fox News: LAP OF LUXURY: OBAMA'S LAVISH GLOBETROTTING VACATIONS RAISE DEMOCRATS' EYEBROWS

That cyberattack is nasty, using NSA tools and exploits to spread and lock down systems.

kirblar

It's a tax cut bill. Only the far right likes this.

They won't hold them.

Like, my representative hasn't held a town hall in months because the last time he did, he had to face hundreds of furious people upset about his support for the AHCA. Now, he just takes pre-screened questions over Facebook Live and calls it a town hall. Absolute joke.

can concur with this

I kept my phone number from Nevada when I moved out of state and I received a robo call from Heller's office for a town hall by phone(lol)

lush

They have some money to play with. The CBO score left the GOP with about $188 billion more revenue than they need, meaning Republicans can put that savings in programs to shore up premium reduction efforts, anti-opioid spending or, as some conservative Republicans want, deficit reduction.

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/27/republicans-key-repeal-vote-delay-240010

So throw money at it, have it rescored by the CBO, and get your yes' to pass it. I've seen this movie before.

Just called my Sens (Gillibrand and Schumer) and told them to get offensive on this thing. Simply writing "ER" on the end of a stupid Trump quote isn't going to do shit. You have time to get changes made, get in there and make them. Force yourself into the meetings if you have to.

LifEndz

HAHAHAHAAAAA. No, they'll just kneecap the ACA and blame it on the dems.

I know. But with Trump describing the House version as "mean" and McConnel already hinting that they have to work with Schumer, I remain optimistic. But you're probably right. These evil fucks are determined to fuck over the poor to give the rich more money.

Zubz

Banned
Right, but I can still be happy about this specifically.

Yup; the war's not over, but we can at least celebrate the battle for the next week.

It is no secret to the senators how the AARP was going to react to the bill.

I'm still surprised they'd go after something that blatantly attacks the elderly like that. I mean, sure, the GOP is fine with stripping coverage from women & minorities, but old white guys who actually go out to vote are one of the main demographics keeping them in power!

Let's see if Tom Marino, Lou Barletta, or Pat Toomey show their ugly mugs.

A forum post cannot properly portray my maniacal-yet-soul-crushed laughter right now. The man does nothing but hide & rubber stamp whatever Trump/the Koch brothers toss his way.

Maxim726X

So throw money at it, have it rescored by the CBO, and get your yes' to pass it. I've seen this movie before.

It may sway some, for sure, but it doesn't make it any easier to sell a bill that takes millions of people off of health insurance.

The bill is still shit.

jph139

My major concern is that they'll do some token fixes to get guys like Paul on board and shove through a revised, "improved" bill through.

But it's good news. For the moment at least.

jmdajr

CNN site: HEALTH CARE VOTE DELAYED

Nbcnews site: WIDESPREAD CYBERATTACK HITS MAJOR EUROPEAN COMPANIES

Fox News site: LAP OF LUXURY: OBAMA'S LAVISH GLOBETROTTING VACATIONS RAISE DEMOCRATS' EYEBROWS

I thought the Fox News thing was a joke...

:|

Jinaar

Everyone is so WRONG in this thread. Delaying this vote till after July 4th is the most kind and thoughtful thing the GOP will ever do for it's citizens, since there will be a good portion of the public that will most likely blow their limbs off while trying to launch some fireworks in some shit hole of a town. They'll NEED that Medicad Coverage something fierce, hoping at best to re-attach anything that is no longer part of the body proper.

Let them get fixed up and then take it away from them. It's marvelously generous if you ask me.

The longer they delay the closer we get to midterm season. Congress basically shuts down during that midterm year, especially for major or controversial legislation. Not looking good for the bill, at least not this incarnation.

Everything boils down to whether McConnell can buy the votes he needs with that 188b.

They'll spend the next two weeks brainstorming how to better package death sentences in exchange for tax cuts to their constituents.

I actually thought for the longest time that the Republican base didn't want any socialized health care at all but now I realize that the Republican leadership have been selling them on the idea that somehow they could do it better than Obama. Good luck!

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I'm still surprised they'd go after something that blatantly attacks the elderly like that. I mean, sure, the GOP is fine with stripping coverage from women & minorities, but old white guys who actually go out to vote are one of the main demographics keeping them in power!

Psssh. What are they going to do? Vote Democrat in 2018 and 2020?

Nope, because they'll be dead by then.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I need to see these sacks of shit squirm as they try to defend this bill in town halls across the country. If they even hold them.

Yeah? Were you cheering when Scalise got shot, and almost killed?

Because according to this shit logic, that would totally be cool with you.

I'm saying that the tone from people being disenfranchised is the absolute least important thing about this bill.

You're talking about theoretical suggestions of self inflicted violence on a garbage nightmare person like McConnell who is actively pushing a bill that will - one hundred percent WILL - kill people. The former isn't a good look, but I find it hard to give a shit when the latter is there. This bill is so horrible that even talking about it becomes its own defense because of "polite discourse." How dare someone imply that this bill will *gasp* MURDER people, how uncouth!

And no, I'm not going to applaud someone shooting a senator. But I'm also not going to pretend like that event was an isolated incident, or that the Republican platform has not made such backblast events possible with the fetishistic defense of gun rights and police worship. Its no surprise you see right wingers like Ted Nugent wanting to tone down their rhetoric after this shooting out of the thousands. I wonder what was so different about this one that it was a wake up call?

kirblar

Just called my Sens (Gillibrand and Schumer) and told them to get offensive on this thing. Simply writing "ER" on the end of a stupid Trump quote isn't going to do shit. You have time to get changes made, get in there and make them. Force yourself into the meetings if you have to.
They have no power.

They cannot force themselves into GOP-only meetings.

They cannot make changes to the bill without GOP support.

You cannot claim power just because you want it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I sorta feel that McConnel is worse than Hitler. Letting 22 million people left for dead seems worse than Hitler.
No not really...

I mean I think McConnell is a vile human being but no.

I do hope that this helps expose the "legend" of McConnell and his ability to corral the troops. Dude has had both houses since November and presided over nothing but fractious chaos.

oh this is like when the house bill died a horrible death

oh wait, it passed after

That passed because they were able to convince the naysayers that it wouldn't actually get to the Senate in that form at all, which was correct (they started from scratch)

They basically sold their soul to get Trump a win

bionic77

I wonder how many votes they are short.

Really hope whoever is holding out stays strong. I am sure Trump and the rest are going to bring heat on them.

kirblar

I wonder how many votes they are short.

Really hope whoever is holding out stays strong. I am sure Trump and the rest are going to bring heat on them.
Heller and Collins both appear to be relatively hard nos, and the issue w/ the remaining votes is that they have holdouts on both ends of the political spectrum.

Top Bottom