• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fae

Neo Member
Ah, is the patch really that buggy? That's unfortunate.

I wonder if they'll hold off on patching other regions until they've ironed out the issues. (I'm on EU, and we're currently scheduled to get the patch in a few hours.)

I don't know anything about tablets, as I've never bought one but playing Hearthstone on a tablet would be great.

I see that it doesn't come out for IOS or Android for some time but I've read you can currently play it on a tablet.

How do you do this and what is the experience like? What type of tablet would be a good purchase for playing this game? (as I said, I don't know jack about tablets...figured I could also check out PvZ2 on it as well.)

Laieon

I dabbled with the game when it was in beta, but didn't get super into it. Got a hunter deck to around level 14. Saw that I could get a free mount in WoW for winning 3 games. I expected to lose a few, but ended up going 3/3 (I won one of them with only 2 health left).

I really like how "pick up and play" Hearthstone seems to be.

Aylinato

I have faced the exact same priest 5 times in a row, im taking a break and tired of beating him 90% of the time. mind control is sooo annoying after awhile

killercow

I don't know anything about tablets, as I've never bought one but playing Hearthstone on a tablet would be great.

I see that it doesn't come out for IOS or Android for some time but I've read you can currently play it on a tablet.

How do you do this and what is the experience like? What type of tablet would be a good purchase for playing this game? (as I said, I don't know jack about tablets...figured I could also check out PvZ2 on it as well.)

You can currently play through a "vnc". Basically it streams your pc to your tablet and it can be laggy at times and awkward.
Hearthstone will be out on iPad first with Android/iPhone later so that would be the best tablet to play it on!

You can currently play through a "vnc". Basically it streams your pc to your tablet and it can be laggy at times and awkward.
Hearthstone will be out on iPad first with Android/iPhone later so that would be the best tablet to play it on!

Cool...Guess I'll look at some IPads then. Thanks!

when is it scheduled to come out on IOS?

Frenden

Banned
Happy launch day, everybody!

tumblr_n2ar16i3zk1qz6c60o1_1280.png

I'm READY FOR ACTION.

DEd Nat Pagle today for some sweet Rag action. Really feel like I need Ysera or something else as big to finish things off in my control warrior deck though. Really lacks actual damage if they can clear your smaller minions.

If you don't want to pay play arena?
Sorry op but WUT?

Arena is the one gamemode that is completely behind a paywall
And before anyone says you can earn more gold by winning to play more arena games for free:yes if you win 7 or more games, for every one person managing that MANY will obviously not as many people have to lose for that person to get their wins
+the draft is really random and even if you are a way above average player you can still end up with a crappy deck by not being offered any cards to round out your deck

As slightly above average f2p player you will get to play at most 1 arena game a day and only IF you won at least 30 games that day in play mode (that's quite a few hours of playing) and do the daily quest

you could make a rush deck to speed it up a bit and abandon games you are losing to get your 30wins faster, but then you are grinding instead of just experimenting and playing at your leasure to have fun, and are avoiding playing out the games ...

The game is f2p in casual play and given enough time in ranked upto a certain point, but arena is paywalled
the pay2win mode is free, the even ground draft mode is paywalled, fun game but it has a bad f2p scheme (I'm aware that people expect TCG to be money pits so they'll half expect this of heartstone)

for dota players: imagine if ability draft cost 1.5 euros per game (edit : I mean per draft , one draft = play till you lose 3 times) and you could win a ticket to play another one if you were the MVP that game

Dreavus

I think the patch broke my game. Getting a blank window when I launch now, but I can still see the cursor changing and the music/sound. I guess it's reinstall time now?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sorry op but WUT?

The thing you should know about Hearthstone is that if you're not going to pay money, plan on playing a lot (read: grinding) or becoming really good at Arena.
plan on playing a lot (read: grinding) or becoming really good at Arena.
becoming really good at Arena.

Anyway, Hearthstone is not that hard and you don't need to be playing constantly, contrary to popular belief. For example, right now I have 1255g saved up from two worth of dailies and a few good Arena runs that I've yet to burn through because I have other stuff to play. I don't have all the Legendaries but most of the staple rares and I have yet to spend more than $2.50 on Hearthstone.

scy

if you want to play arena draft you're going to pay 1.5 euros a game

I get your point but this line is just as false (and, well, you mean per Arena run so a minimum of 3 games). You don't ever HAVE to pay.

And, really, it's not that hard to get a few wins in Arena. Yes, 7+ wins is where you reach infinite status but just a few wins is enough to give you some gold back. Once you have a decent amount of gold (from, say, multiple days of dailies + the big free gold quests), you can sustain a decent number of Arena runs without always going 7+ wins.

I get an arena run in every 2-3 days. I regularly drop 1-3s in Arena so my time is often spent doig daily challenges. I am perfectly able to enjoy the game and not pay money. If I am doing so shitty in Arena, perhaps more time learning skills in Play mode is what I need.

Haly

For anyone who's struggling with getting decent Arena scores I highly suggest you use arenavalue.com. I noticed my average win rate going up by maybe 50-100% immediately once I started using it.

old

Looking for some advice, I mess around with all classes and styles. But I need a finisher. Just dusted Tink and I'm looking at crafting either Leeroy or Ragnaros.

Haly

Leeroy if you play rush/burst decks like Shaman/Hunter/Warlock/Rogue. Ragnaros if you play slower control decks like Paladin/Druid/Priest/Warrior.

No one plays Mage anymore hue hue hue hue.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Cool...Guess I'll look at some IPads then. Thanks!

when is it scheduled to come out on IOS?

If you're interested, I am playing it right now on my nexus 7 and it works wonderfully.

Sorry op but WUT?

Arena is the one gamemode that is completely behind a paywall
And before anyone says you can earn more gold by winning to play more arena games for free:yes if you win 7 or more games, for every one person managing that MANY will obviously not as many people have to lose for that person to get their wins
+the draft is really random and even if you are a way above average player you can still end up with a crappy deck by not being offered any cards to round out your deck

As slightly above average f2p player you will get to play at most 1 arena game a day and only IF you won at least 30 games that day in play mode (that's quite a few hours of playing) and do the daily quest

you could make a rush deck to speed it up a bit and abandon games you are losing to get your 30wins faster, but then you are grinding instead of just experimenting and playing at your leasure to have fun, and are avoiding playing out the games ...

The game is f2p in casual play and given enough time in ranked upto a certain point, but arena is paywalled
the pay2win mode is free, the even ground draft mode is paywalled, fun game but it has a bad f2p scheme (I'm aware that people expect TCG to be money pits so they'll half expect this of heartstone)

for dota players: imagine if ability draft cost 1.5 euros per game (edit : I mean per draft , one draft = play till you lose 3 times) and you could win a ticket to play another one if you were the MVP that game
Sorry but that's ridiculous. Because of daily quests you will rarely have to even getting for one arena. Most of the time you will win at least 2 or 3 times so you'll get between 50 and 70 gold. Then you only need to do 1 daily quest and win 6 games and you're good to go for the next arena run.
And the better you get, the more you'll win 4, 5, 6 times regularly and be able to enter arena even faster.

scy

No one plays Mage anymore hue hue hue hue.

They might since Warlock in general got better and Mage has a good match-up with basically all Warlock variants. Though, it's two different kind of Mages there so maybe not.

If you're interested, I am playing it right now on my nexus 7 and it works wonderfully.

Sorry but that's ridiculous. Because of daily quests you will rarely have to even getting for one arena. Most of the time you will win at least 2 or 3 times so you'll get between 50 and 70 gold. Then you only need to do 1 daily quest and win 6 games and you're good to go for the next arena run.
And the better you get, the more you'll win 4, 5, 6 times regularly and be able to enter arena even faster.

I won 5 games last night and got a pack, 25 dust and like 45 gold

I guess it's pretty smart of blizzard, you can't complain about the arena cost without the stigma of possibly being a bad player or inviting the 'get good' retort
for every player getting more wins than losses another player has to lose and get shittier rewards
the daily quests are usually 40-60gold, i'm on my 4th (edit, 4th not 40th obviously, typo) day of getting a 40gold one.

So ok, if you are better than others (and get a decent draft) and get a nice daily then you only have to win like 10 games to be able to do ONE arena draft a day

It's still one arena draft a day it's still a big paywall and arbitrary restriction, you can enjoy the game without defending this and misleading new players reading this thread

you can't 'just play arena to get away from the pay2win nature of play mode'' like the OP suggested, you can on average play one a day
even if you get good and go perpetual mode in arena you are still doing it off the back of a whole bunch of other opponents who are either getting nothing out of their one daily draft or are paying for the privilege of playing.
defense force that

if the game has an energy scheme where you got to draft twice a day people would be a lot more mad about it, even though this is a lot worse than that
it's all about the packaging and wording I guess

Minsc

Gold Member
I won 5 games last night and got a pack, 25 dust and like 45 gold

I guess it's pretty smart of blizzard, you can't complain about the arena cost without the stigma of possibly being a bad player or inviting the 'get good' retort
for every player getting more wins than losses another player has to lose and get shittier rewards
the daily quests are usually 40-60gold, i'm on my 40th day of getting a 40gold one.

So ok, if you are better than others (and get a decent draft) and get a nice daily then you only have to win like 10 games to be able to do ONE arena draft a day

It's still one arena draft a day it's still a big paywall and arbitrary restriction, you can enjoy the game without defending this and misleading new players reading this thread

you can't 'just play arena to get away from the pay2win nature of play mode'' like the OP suggested, you can on average play one a day
even if you get good and go perpetual mode in arena you are still doing it off the back of a whole bunch of other opponents who are either getting nothing out of their one daily draft or are paying for the privilege of playing.
defense force that

if the game has an energy scheme where you got to draft twice a day people would be a lot more mad about it, even though this is a lot worse than that

Don't forget Blizzard lets you make 3 bnet accounts. And each account you can play on multiple regions. So you have like at least 6 sets of accounts to juggle free arenas (3 if the multiple regions share gold... not sure, they def. don't share cards). Even 3 accounts is going to put you at around 2 free arenas per day (that's 6-24+ matches) once you factor in the ~500 free gold (and free arena) for a bunch of the easier achievements.If all you care about is getting better at Arena, having an additional two accounts to accrue gold for free practice arenas couldn't hurt. Then prioritize the main account for the ranked/play modes. Then when you reliably get 6+ wins, you don't really even need to bother with the spare accounts. Or just play less. Or pay more. :)

scy

But the OP doesn't say that. It says if you don't want to sink money into the game, you're going to need to grind a lot OR get really good at Arena. It does not say "just play Arena." It says to become good at it.

defense force that

I don't really care much about the people I beat in Arena. Not really sure why it matters that I'm beating people, honestly. Them getting worse rewards due to having worse records doesn't really change anything for my ability to go infinite.

Callous, I guess, but I don't really see why that matters.

A hard limit is worse than a soft limit. The current setup rewards people who can keep themselves afloat. Limiting it to two runs regardless of outcome is infinitely worse than the in-game currency entry fee.

Don't forget Blizzard lets you make 3 bnet accounts. And each account you can play on multiple regions. So you have like at least 6 sets of accounts to juggle free arenas (3 if the multiple regions share gold... not sure, they def. don't share cards). Even 3 accounts is going to put you at around 2 free arenas per day (that's 6-24+ matches) once you factor in the ~500 free gold (and free arena) for a bunch of the easier achievements.If all you care about is getting better at Arena, having an additional two accounts to accrue gold for free practice arenas couldn't hurt. Then prioritize the main account for the ranked/play modes. Then when you reliably get 6+ wins, you don't really even need to bother with the spare accounts. Or just play less. Or pay more. :)

that's one way to get around it , good suggestion
(that 500 free gold is only for the first few days though , that's the standard mobile/facebook f2p honeytrap)

inky

I used to think like that, even that they should make a free Arena with no rewards just because it is the better mode and I want to play it. But then, I'm sitting at 2K gold, and I have found a good rhythm at which I can play and not bother to pay anymore. I'm not great at the game either. I still go 1-3, or 3-3 or 5-3... but I also go 7, 9 and 12 even so it is not all bad and have come to think the game is actually kind of balanced and encourages to get better and play regularly.

I really don't mind it that much now.

bunbun777

Shame they didn't fix the thing when your opponent recalls a card and you have to see a card back on the field.

Also earlier an Ancient Watcher almost disappeared up in my opponents side.

I used to think like that, even that they should make a free Arena with no rewards just because it is the better mode and I want to play it. But then, I'm sitting at 2K gold, and I have found a good rhythm at which I can play and not bother to pay anymore. I'm not great at the game either. I still go 1-3, or 3-3 or 5-3... but I also go 7, 9 and 12 even so it is not all bad and have come to think the game is actually kind of balanced and encourages to get better and play regularly.

I really don't mind it that much now.

as long as I get mine

I'm one of those 2.5k arena rating in wow tryhards, am in the top 5 percent mmr in dota, played cs at competitive level so I'll be able to go perpetual arena soon enough (still pretty new to the game and only did 3 arena drafts so far)
but I still see a crummy f2p scheme even if it might not really affect me personally, it's still a shitty thing.

they could've stuck to selling card backs and hero skins and card skins, hell even kept the play mode as it is with buying packs with real money (since everyone expects tcg to be cynical pay2win in nature anyhow) without locking a game mode behind a paywall like this

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Played one match: One card got stuck out of the playable area (Only on my client) then i lost connection to battle net and never could connect again.
=/

GRRRRGRRGRRGRR (Old Murloc saying)

Haly

I pay $14 to draft a single game of Magic.

This is like, not even close to being a minor inconvenience. It is so beyond miniscule I'm insulted you keep trying to push this point.

I never even said that the game wasn't Pay2Win. I clearly admitted that there was a Pay2Win aspect to the game, which can be circumvented by grinding or by being really good. Maybe I should've given a ballpark number like 10th percentile of the playerbase? Or do you want me to actively sabotage the game in the OP by telling people to stay away because it's a money sink?

Have you ever, really, actually played a Pay2Win game? Or is this sense of entitlement just to ingrained that you can't bear the idea of not playing Arena 24/7 or not having all the cards for Constructed?

Because this game is definitely not for you in that case. I guess I should've included a caveat that if you wanted a buy once play forever game you should look into Duel of the Planeswalker on Steam, which is honestly a good game, a good alternative to Hearthstone and exactly what you want.

snack

Played one match: One card got stuck out of the playable area (Only on my client) then i lost connection to battle net and never could connect again.
=/

GRRRRGRRGRRGRR (Old Murloc saying)

Fuck. Same problem happened to me.

edit: I was playing in windowed mode. Were you as well?

scy

In other news, I just drafted Hungry Crab.

LIVE THE DREAM CRAB. LIVE THE DREAM.

I pay $14 to draft a single game of Magic.

Coming from MtG, Hearthstone is pretty low on the barrier of entry. You even get a free Arena run and enough free gold to float somewhere around ~10 runs, even if none of them go 7+. I'm not familiar with too many pay2win games but, honestly, Hearthstone's model seems fairly generous to me.

Frenden

Banned
As an old Magic and Star Wars Decipher player, I don't find paying for card packs to be unreasonably expensive. I've sunk some dough into the game and don't regret it.

keuja

Do you play with a mouse or a stylus?
I have an ASUS T100 and I find much more enjoyable to play with a mouse, mainly due to the lack of hover when using the touchscreen and just your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom