• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

Also, how can you tell the rarity of the cards you get?

Basic cards (the ones you start with and get from leveling characters) don't have a rarity. Cards you get from packs have the rarity in the middle right under the name (look at the Ysera card above, the orange color indicates legendary).

White = Common
Blue = Rare
Purple = Epic
Orange = Legendary

Basic cards (the ones you start with and get from leveling characters) don't have a rarity. Cards you get from packs have the rarity in the middle right under the name (look at the Ysera card above, the orange color indicates legendary).

White = Common
Blue = Rare
Purple = Epic
Orange = Legendary

TYVM!!! Makes sense now.

What is the max level you can get a character to?

I just want to know when I can stop leveling a character as no more leveling cards would exist for that character.

CoolOff

TYVM!!! Makes sense now.

What is the max level you can get a character to?

I just want to know when I can stop leveling a character as no more leveling cards would exist for that character.

60, but you stop getting "new" cards at 20 (or is it 15?), after that it's just foil versions of the ones you got earlier.

scy

60 for max level, though you stop getting new cards from leveling at Level 10. Everything after that will be golden versions.

Scy, while I agree with you that the card pool is way too small to innovate very much, I disagree with this idea that the 'average player' is not going to create a decent deck.

That's not what I meant, however. I'm saying that the average player will not make a deck that shifts the meta. It's just not how it works normally. Beyond that, most people WILL be bad at deckbuilding. I mean, not everyone is going to be amazing at it and those that are will typically not be the average player. Maybe we're differing on where we're placing "average" here, though.

Like, I've been to Legendary - Rank 5 every season so far. I'd say my ability to craft a deck is pretty miserable. I'd say that a lot of players in general will be bad at it. It's, to me, the hardest part of playing these games. Being able to build a functional deck from nothing that takes into account the meta and ends up being massively successful is not something easy.

Back when I played MTG, I noticed that there were two very distinct types of players.

Normally it's thought of that there are three type of players. Edit: Though I'd say the two types you list basically account for them all. The other split is just in the type of deck construction, really.

My biggest "frustration" with things is how often people want to blindly hate on netdecking instead of holding their play / their deck responsible for a loss. Somehow it's "lol netdecks shitty players" every time.

I get disliking the fact that people skip the deck building process but I don't really have a problem with those complaints. It's the ones that immediately then equate it to their ability to play. They're unrelated as far as I'm concerned. I really don't care if what I'm up against is your own brew or a netdeck. It doesn't mean much to me really. I care most about what they do with it and not how they got to that point.

Level 60. But after level 20 you just get golden versions of cards you already have (common rarity).

So what exactly is a golden version of a card? How is it any different than the regular version of the same card?

Also..side question...The Angry Chicken..Has a 1/1 but says it'll enrage to 5 attk if damaged..How does it get damaged and survive with only one health? Do you have to buff his health first, then dmg him, then hope he gets to attack?

P.S..Thanks to everyone answering my noob questions...Never played any TCG before so I don't really understand all the mechanics of everything yet..But I have been able to beat some of the expert AI decks, so I'm happy with that.

My biggest "frustration" with things is how often people want to blindly hate on netdecking instead of holding their play / their deck responsible for a loss. Somehow it's "lol netdecks shitty players" every time.

I get disliking the fact that people skip the deck building process but I don't really have a problem with those complaints. It's the ones that immediately then equate it to their ability to play. They're unrelated as far as I'm concerned. I really don't care if what I'm up against is your own brew or a netdeck. It doesn't mean much to me really. I care most about what they do with it and not how they got to that point.
That's a legit response. I think something I need to work on is just respect that different people like different aspects of the game for different reasons, which is fine. To be honest, I am not the best "player" at these games in general. I am not technical enough to recognize game states very well, and I make lots of stupid mistakes. In MTG I was always able to make up for being a bad "Spike", by being a good enough deck builder that I could finish decently in limited tournaments. In HS, well I think it is just difficult because of the card pool.

It would be cool if the "casual" mode was filled with more people who just want to test stuff out and screw around. If that was the case, I think I'd exclusively solo queue. Instead, you find the exact same decks in casual generally, because people just want to farm their gold / wins for the day there.

scy

So what exactly is a golden version of a card? How is it any different than the regular version of the same card?

They look cooler. That's it, really.

Also..side question...The Angry Chicken..Has a 1/1 but says it'll enrage to 5 attk if damaged..How does it get damaged and survive with only one health? Do you have to buff his health first, then dmg him, then hope he gets to attack?

Basically. Need to find a way to give it bonus Health and then damage it. It's a pretty gimmicky card.

ViviOggi

Golden cards are animated, it's purely cosmetic. Except for golden Pagle, he has an increased fishing chance.

Yes, you have to buff it first. It's a terrible card.

Another quick question about "minions."

I played a card as a pally where when one of my minions died it was supposed to resurrection them with one health...I had a beast die and it didn't resurrect then at all, but after the beast died my 1/1 solider died and he was resurrected even though he died second..

Do beasts not count as minions or something, or was that a bug?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Another quick question about "minions."

I played a card as a pally where when one of my minions died it was supposed to resurrection them with one health...I had a beast die and it didn't resurrect then at all, but after the beast died my 1/1 solider died and he was resurrected even though he died second..

Do beasts not count as minions or something, or was that a bug?

It should've resurrected the beast, I'm not sure what happened there. Or do you mean multiple creatures died at the same time?

ShinNL

Scy, while I agree with you that the card pool is way too small to innovate very much, I disagree with this idea that the 'average player' is not going to create a decent deck. Back when I played MTG, I noticed that there were two very distinct types of players. Some people played because they liked to win and they enjoyed the mechanics of the game. Players like this are the type that will tweak their decks for the meta as you mentioned, making small 'refinements', not 'innovations', and probably netdecking most of their decks. The other type of player enjoys the creative process of deckbuilding, enjoys watching crazy things happen on the board. These types of players are the ones who often create the very netdecks that the 'refiner' players use. The former types of players do much better in tournament settings, while the latter types sometimes take a tournament randomly because no one saw their 'scrubby deck' coming.

Like you said, though, there are far too few cards in Hearthstone to innovate much currently, so there's not much to complain about. Still, I am personally with Soneet on the frustration of playing against netdecks. I really despise playing against the aggro netdecks especially because you feel like the match is almost completely non-interactive (i.e. comes down to the coinflip of him either aggroing out or you drawing the right taunts), while also knowing that this person put no creativity of his own into deckbuilding. Every deck that I run in the ranked is one that I came up with on my own. Some are really janky but fun to play with, while others are pretty competitive.

Anyways, I think what it comes down to for some players who really enjoy the deckbuilding aspect of the game is that it is really frustrating to play repeatedly against people who put absolutely no thought into that aspect and yet beat you. Really its these two different types of players butting heads. Personally, I would be happy just building crazy decks and trying them out against other people who did the same, with absolutely no 'competitive' aspect whatsoever to it. To me, a big part of the game is just seeing things unfold, watching another deck 'do its thing', and trying to get my own to do it. I know this approach isn't for everyone, though. Anyways, that should at least give people an idea of where this sentiment is coming from: when a huge part of the game for you is deck building, and you keep facing people who are just ignoring that aspect, it drains the fun out of the experience.
Aye, this is kind of what I mean. For me the a card game is fun because of the building process. I personally don't just want to win, I like to win with something I can call my own. In this case, my deck. I too have noticed some people prefer referring to top tournaments decks and make suggestions to make a personal deck look more like a tournament winning deck. Sure it might win more games...

But I just got a turn 3 Malygos out. :D

It should've resurrected the beast, I'm not sure what happened there. Or do you mean multiple creatures died at the same time?

They both died in the same turn, but not with the same move...Basically the raptor was killed first...Then another separate action killed the 1/1 summoned solider...It was disappointing that the raptor wasn't brought back...Raptor died and the "secret" didn't activate...Solider died then the secret activated.

Haly

They both died in the same turn, but not with the same move...Basically the raptor was killed first...Then another separate action killed the 1/1 summoned solider...It was disappointing that the raptor wasn't brought back...Raptor died and the "secret" didn't activate...Solider died then the secret activated.

So it was during combat? Do you remember what killed the raptor?

JesseZao

What card killed them?

Haly

I can't remember exactly..sorry...I think I was playing against a warrior..but that's just a guess.

Was it Cleave?
81.png

Was it Cleave?
81.png

I don't think so, but maybe..But I definitely remembered that the Raptor died first..then a second action took place and the solider died...

But let's imagine it was cleave...but I know both didn't die at the same time..BUT if they did, how would it decide who got resurrected?

scy

Hm. Even if it was, Redemption should revive on FIFO ordering. Raptor should take priority over the token, too, I believe, though it might depend on which was played first.

Edit: Actually, no, Raptor should still be ahead in priority since a vanilla minion from hand is still a higher type priority than a Hero Power token. Hm.

I don't think so, but maybe..But I definitely remembered that the Raptor died first..then a second action took place and the solider died...

But let's imagine it was cleave...but I know both didn't die at the same time..BUT if they did, how would it decide who got resurrected?

The game keeps track of the order minions were played and the type of minion. It kills in order of played and type priority. Unfortunately, there's really nothing that shows you this in-game.

ShinNL

Lol nice man. I'm playing alarm-bot druid right now. Just drew a hand alarm bot-shieldbearer-baron geddon. Hahaha!
I actually found an interesting combo. Sometimes you just have Alarm-o-Bot but no monsters in your hand. Well, what I didn't add in my calculation are my Manatide Totems adding extra cards at the end of my turn, so even if I only have Alarm-o-Bot in my hand, there's still a chance to summon something as long as I play it.

I actually am doing a Shaman version with Farsight. Man do I love to coin into Farsight or Alarm-o-Bot :D

JesseZao

There's some hidden logic to how it determines which card to resurrect if they die simultaneously, but I don't think blizzard has ever spelled it out exactly.

Haly

The animation for spells like Cleave is misleading, both creatures probably die "at the same time" as far as the game is concerned. However, what Redemption decides to resurrect is obscure. It has to do with which minion was played first, and therefore "higher" on the game's list of minions in programming terms. Point is, there's no real way to predict what Redemption will resurrect in these situations unless you've been keeping extensive track of the order minions are played and know how the logic works in and out.

(Yet another failing of Hearthstone)

There's some hidden logic to how it determines which card to resurrect if they die simultaneously, but I don't think blizzard has ever spelled it out exactly.

I'm okay with that.

Another game strat question:

Is there any sort of rule/is it generally bad strategy, to place a shield around low level characters early in the game (say a 2/1 type character)?

It feels okay if it's early on, because I want to put the pressure on my opponent to kill that minion, or otherwise if they're left alone, to just buff to higher stats (assuming I had the cards)....On the flip side, it felt sorta wasteful shielding a low level character so early on and burning a shield card..Even it was only a 1 mana card.

Or is this type of question, opponent/context of game specific..Sometimes it's okay, sometimes not?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Looking forward to the IOS version, really hope it syncs with my PC account, couldnt stand earning all these cards back.

I actually found an interesting combo. Sometimes you just have Alarm-o-Bot but no monsters in your hand. Well, what I didn't add in my calculation are my Manatide Totems adding extra cards at the end of my turn, so even if I only have Alarm-o-Bot in my hand, there's still a chance to summon something as long as I play it.

I actually am doing a Shaman version with Farsight. Man do I love to coin into Farsight or Alarm-o-Bot :D

Yeah that's nice, I can see that with farsight. I've got my Shaman deck as a farsight deck right now, too but no alarm-o-bots. Seems like I should add them!

The reason I did druid is just because I figured it would be more consistent with the other ramp...innervate alone allows for near-alarm-bot brokenness sometimes.

scy

Generally speaking, you want to use things like that aggressively. For instance, you'd Divine Shield when you're attacking a 3/2 so your unit survives. You wouldn't really just shield it for the sake of it. You want to be the one deciding how your buffs and such get used, basically.

JesseZao

You know what would be great? If when you highlight/grab Redemption in your hand and during the opponent's turn, the minion that would rez if all of your minions died simultaneously would be highlighted with a yellow ring.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Generally speaking, you want to use things like that aggressively. For instance, you'd Divine Shield when you're attacking a 3/2 so your unit survives. You wouldn't really just shield it for the sake of it. You want to be the one deciding how your buffs and such get used, basically.

I think my only instances of shielding stuff like that are in the early game on targets that the enemy will WANT to kill. Knife Jugglers or Dire Wolf Alphas etc.

scy

You know what would be great? If when you highlight/grab Redemption in your hand and during the opponent's turn, the minion that would rez if all of your minions died simultaneously would be highlighted with a yellow ring.

The problem with this is that the type of AoE that kills them is actually relevant. AoE Spells and, say, Wild Pyromancer kill in different orders.

Generally speaking, minion that does something > minion that doesn't do anything > tokens with played order mattering within those tiers.

I think my only instances of shielding stuff like that are in the early game on targets that the enemy will WANT to kill. Knife Jugglers or Dire Wolf Alphas etc.

This was my general idea...Block an attack I know will be incoming because it's the only minion on the board...

But I think I generally am understanding that you want to be in an aggressive/offensive stance as much as possible (ie..Make your opponent react to you, not you to your opponet)..You don't want to end up playing defense or using your turn to simply patch problems caused by your opponent.

Minsc

Gold Member
Looking forward to the IOS version, really hope it syncs with my PC account, couldnt stand earning all these cards back.

It does. One version for all platforms, crossplay, etc.

I'm confused about this line in the patch notes:

So the card backs are in the game as of now, but they won't be given out as rewards until April (when the first "official" ranked season supposedly begins)? Is this true?

Also, has anyone found out how to earn the "Fireside Friends" achievement which unlocks the Launch Card Back? Or is this also unavailable until next month?

fcxKPTP.png

They said all they've said about it from the patch notes:

The next Ranked Play reward is the extra fancy alternate card back! Participating in each official Ranked Play season will offer a new card back that you’ll get at the end of each season. Card backs replace the default artwork on the reverse side of your decks. The game interface will allow you to easily swap between any card back you’ve added to your collection. More information about the first official Ranked Play season and its card back rewards will be announced at a later time.

So we'll get more info later. It's possible they will award card backs for the end of this season, so you may see people with the legendary one at the beginning of April, rather than the beginning of May (as the golden hero rewards are activated, so card backs may be as well).

JesseZao

The problem with this is that the type of AoE that kills them is actually relevant. AoE Spells and, say, Wild Pyromancer kill in different orders.

That should be fixed then. If the minions die at the same time, the rez target should be the same everytime regardless of the killing source.

scy

But I think I generally am understanding that you want to be in an aggressive/offensive stance as much as possible (ie..Make your opponent react to you, not you to your opponet)..You don't want to end up playing defense or using your turn to simply patch problems caused by your opponent.

This, basically. It's not "wrong" to play like that sometimes but you're leaving yourself wide open potentially: They can simply do something you're not anticipating because you don't have complete information. For instance, you shield your Knife Juggler so it takes two actions to kill and your opponent responds with Blood Knight and gets a 6/6 out of it. Or maybe your opponent pings the shield off with a Battlecry and suddenly you used two cards and your opponent dealt with it with 1.5.

You just want to avoid planning around your opponent reacting in a certain way. Sometimes you can make those judgments based off many factors (e.g., your opponent has no cards in hand, you can probably force him to trade his minion for yours) but you shouldn't get into the habit of doing it too often. Sometimes they'll surprise you and that will cost you the game.

That should be fixed then. If the minions die at the same time, the rez target should be the same everytime regardless of the killing source.

I think it does that so Wild Pyromancer revives itself with Redemption.

IllumiNate

All my decks are kaput now that I've dusted Tink and Paggle. Anyone have a good site for high quality deck lists that I can base around?

you can probably force him to trade his minion for yours)

I think it does that so Wild Pyromancer revives itself with Redemption.

Another situation happen this afternoon against a warrior I believe.

I had a few minions out, and so did he...I didn't notice the card played, but all of the sudden they all started fighting and a dust cloud appeared over them all, and only one minion (my core hound) was left...It worked out nice for me, but I'm wondering what card or action they did to cause that?

ViviOggi

Another situation happen this afternoon against a warrior I believe.

I had a few minions out, and so did he...I didn't notice the card played, but all of the sudden they all started fighting and a dust cloud appeared over them all, and only one minion (my core hound) was left...It worked out nice for me, but I'm wondering what card or action they did to cause that?
Brawl.png

jblank83

Nothing wrong with that. Just need to make sure it's worth it and be aware that something cheap could ruin everything, like an Elven Archer.

Sometimes getting an Argent Protector 2/2 on the board is as important as the shield. Usually I like to save it for valuable trades, though. Like, shield a yeti before it attacks or something.

Kapow

This may be a silly question but how do i switch from US servers to Euro? I remember reading that this release would let you do that without making another account

scy

Wouldn't that be moot now though since secrets can't activate on your own turn?

Maybe that's part of the reasoning for the change.

It's possible. They also may have finally switched everything to a strict FIFO system since that's how it's "supposed" to work. Need to do some testing on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom