• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseZao

Not sure where I got it from but I read it on the offical FAQ or something when I first started playing.

The early closed beta had an announced wipe, then they said there wouldn't be another one after that barring unforeseen circumstances more or less.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Pagle still good... dat is all

he is still decent, and if you can get him a +attack by a round or two after you drop him he can provide some early pressure along with possibly a draw or two.

honestly my biggest problem with pagle right now isn't that he's a bad card (he's not). he's just not really "legendary" anymore. if you have pagle, he's fine. if you get him, you can choose to either keep him or swap him 1:1 for (imho) "another" epic. if neither of these are the case, I can't see why you would possibly spend 1600 to craft him.

Lyng

he is still decent, and if you can get him a +attack by a round or two after you drop him he can provide some early pressure along with possibly a draw or two.

honestly my biggest problem with pagle right now isn't that he's a bad card (he's not). he's just not really "legendary" anymore. if you have pagle, he's fine. if you get him, you can choose to either keep him or swap him 1:1 for (imho) "another" epic. if neither of these are the case, I can't see why you would possibly spend 1600 to craft him.

I fully agree. I would not go for him if I didnt have him allready. But he still works as sort of a "attack me" sign for most people.
But yes he is definately not worth the 1600

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so that's the funny thing.. I have spent a LOT of money on this game. and as a result have all of the must have legs and many of the rest. so when these two came up my response to tink was "yeah... so who am I grabbing now" but my response for pagle was largely "eh... I would take 1600 for him, but honestly what am I going to do with it?" basically all of the legs I have left to need are either class ones or bad gimmicks. so in that case it's "meh, I'll keep pagle.. still worth more than anyone left that I need"

honestly pagle would be a GOOD card if they changed his rarity/cost to epic.

Lord Phol

So two of my decks have two big X:es on them and can't be used. Whenever I go into the menu and change them they are usable again until I restart the game. What's up with that?

JesseZao

So two of my decks have two big X:es on them and can't be used. Whenever I go into the menu and change them they are usable again until I restart the game. What's up with that?

A bug if you removed cards or no longer have cards because you DE'd them. Not sure why it happens even after you fix it. Whatever marks a deck as incomplete must have a bugged clearing mechansim. Probably just need to delete and remake it.

Violet_0

Banned
jmhMSum.png

D:

waiting for the Ysera nerf

mackattk

Just started playing this the other day, so far so good. I took the mage and beat all the heroes with him. Afterwards, I played one game against someone else as a priest. It was close, but I came out and won with only like two health left.

This will be an awesome game on android, so looking forward for the eventual release.

Minsc

Gold Member
jmhMSum.png

D:

waiting for the Ysera nerf

Would be definitely be nerfed if it cost 2 mana, like Pagle. But Ysera is one of the best balanced legendaries in the sense it meets all the things you'd want (immediate effect, does something worthwhile, good stats, etc). Most important though is it is late game and your opponent has a full turn to react (aka kill you) before anything starts to happen, just like with Jaraxxus. Ysera brings no immediate taunts, board clear, or anything to harm your opponent's tempo that turn, so if they were ahead, it's probably a dead card, which is not the sign of something that will get re-balanced.

ShinNL

Why do people not try to make their own decks? They either play a popular deck card for card (Trump's Mage deck or Reynad's Zoo deck) or have a popular theme deck (Miracle Rogue or Hunter Charge).

For me it's the most fun when I complete a whole deck from scratch with a theme and multiple synergies and then take it for a ride. Win some, lose game, tweak some parts and try again.

Maybe the average population isn't as creative as I thought.

Aylinato

So I went from rank 14 to rank 20 because I decided to scrap my Druid deck. I had gotten angry after facing opponents with every single legendary.

scy

Because most cases of "being creative" means "avoiding popular deck themes" and end up creating inferior decks just to satisfy some "unique" angle.

And they don't even end up being all that unique.

Acidote

The patch has broken the game for me and I can't play anymore because while the gamne is working, there are no visuals running. Thank you Blizzard.

ShinNL

Because most cases of "being creative" means "avoiding popular deck themes" and end up creating inferior decks just to satisfy some "unique" angle.

And they don't even end up being all that unique.
Except you know, that's how new deck themes emerge. Warlock that isn't Murloc or Handlock? Unheard of! Until someone actually tried...

I absolutely don't agree that if you try different themes it either becomes inferior or not unique. That's quite the tunnel vision.

Lord Phol

I wish there was some rule you could alter that gives people less time to make a move (I know theres that card). People are so fricking slow.

Why do people not try to make their own decks? They either play a popular deck card for card (Trump's Mage deck or Reynad's Zoo deck) or have a popular theme deck (Miracle Rogue or Hunter Charge).

For me it's the most fun when I complete a whole deck from scratch with a theme and multiple synergies and then take it for a ride. Win some, lose game, tweak some parts and try again.

No, the average population is not.

Violet_0

Banned
Would be definitely be nerfed if it cost 2 mana, like Pagle. But Ysera is one of the best balanced legendaries in the sense it meets all the things you'd want (immediate effect, does something worthwhile, good stats, etc). Most important though is it is late game and your opponent has a full turn to react (aka kill you) before anything starts to happen, just like with Jaraxxus. Ysera brings no immediate taunts, board clear, or anything to harm your opponent's tempo that turn, so if they were ahead, it's probably a dead card, which is not the sign of something that will get re-balanced.

yeah, Ysera is never going to be nerfed. Which means I'll sit on 400 dust

Interfectum

People do this for every online game. Look at all the different sites that tell you how to build your WoW character.

scy

Except you know, that's how new deck themes emerge. Warlock that isn't Murloc or Handlock? Unheard of! Until someone actually tried...

Is this in reference to Zoo? That's an existing archetype, not a new one.

I absolutely don't agree that if you try different themes it either becomes inferior or not unique. That's quite the tunnel vision.

That's not what I said. I said that most people try to just deviate from known deck lists for the intent purpose of deviating from known lists, not for the sake of actual innovation. There's going to be innovation but it's not going to come from "I just want to be different." It's going to be from taking into account the meta and the available tools. There's a lot of innovation in general for Hearthstone, it's just at a micro-level where we're talking about 1-2 card shifts in archetypes to account for match-ups (e.g., the aforementioned Zoo popularity causing a spike of Blood Knight use).

Xater

Yeah this patch definitely made the game more unstable for me than it was before. had already connection issues (which I have not experienced in a while) and the game locked up for me as well. There is also that floating minion that basically shows up every match.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

If they truly had the self confidence, skill, and card pool to innovate new decks they stop being average players. Being able to create a new deck that works takes a lot of effort and most players can't be arsed to do that. They just want to climb ranks and grind dailies.

Violet_0

Banned

the new zoo warlock is just a rehearse of the old board-control warlock. Before they nerfed Blood Imp, Shattered Sun Cleric, Defender of Argues, Dark Iron Dwarf, Argus Commander. Because that's how ridicules the deck was

the new additions are Shieldbearer, Young Priestess, Shieldbearer, Dire Wolf Alpha. And people figured out how good Doomguard is

Dreavus

The patch has broken the game for me and I can't play anymore because while the gamne is working, there are no visuals running. Thank you Blizzard.

I'm getting this too, actually. I tried re-installing the game, and no luck so far. Sound is there, I can even blindly click on things, but there are no visuals.

I wonder what's causing this.

scy

If they truly had the self confidence, skill, and card pool to innovate new decks they stop being average players. Being able to create a new deck that works takes a lot of effort and most players can't be arsed to do that. They just want to climb ranks and grind dailies.

This is the other thing. "Average" players won't really be the source of major innovations. Not a knock against their skill (though, yes, that's a huge factor) but that most won't devote the time for it and won't really be against the proper field to be testing these kinds of innovations.

the new zoo warlock is just a rehearse of the old board-control warlock. Before they nerfed Blood Imp, Shattered Sun Cleric, Defender of Argues, Dark Iron Dwarf, Argus Commander. Because that's how ridicules the deck was

the new additions are Shieldbearer, Young Priestess, Shieldbearer, Dire Wolf Alpha. And people figured out how good Doomguard is

Old Board Control Warlock ran Young Priestess once the deck's counter (Freeze Mage) got nerfed. Shieldbearer replaced Blood Imp, DWA replaced DID, and Doomguard is just good in a deck that ends up with an empty hand anyway / has 7 goddamn toughness. Really, Doomguard not being in the old deck was some real shortsightedness. I guess it was more that, at the time, Sylvanas at 5cc was all that mattered for the deck and it carried so much momentum that Mukla earlier in the curve did more too.

I think a lot of the newer versions of the deck run Abusives instead of the Priestess though, but that's more of a boon in the aggro match-up I think since it lets it out-aggro things. Kicks the speed of the deck up roughly by one-turn for the clock.

Minsc

Gold Member
Druid mana decks are pretty fun. You either win gloriously or die horribly. I went 2-0 with the one I made though, first match I played second and coined + innervated out a Nourish for 2 extra cystals on my second turn (hero powering their 1/1 token with the 2-extra mana)... putting me up to 5 crystals on my 3rd turn for a DotC, then a 6, 7, and 8-cost summon in the turns following it. Won that one pretty easy vs a paladin.

Second match went first and played a Wild Growth turn 2 vs a Shaman who just hero powered a few times in a row, and that saw a KotG followed by Boulderfist Ogre and so on. Also a crazy win, 35-0.

Not a single creature in the deck costs under 4 mana which is fun, so it trades extremely well with 1/3-1/4 of your typical deck, as most 2-3 cost creatures can't 1:1 with a 4+ cost creature.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
bwhahaha, best rage quit ever.

Playing Rogue in Arena, was against a mage.

He left a Flesheating Ghoul with a Sunwalker taunting for it. I Facelessed the sunwalker and took it's shield away, but after his turn, the board was 7/2 Flesheating Ghoul, and 4/5 Sunwalker (no shield) vs my 2/1 Harvest Golem token, and 1/1 Polymorphed Sheep.

7 mana turn:
Shattered Sun Cleric Buffs token to 3/2 (3 mana)
Shadowstep
Shattered Sun Cleric Buffs Sheep to 2/2 (1 mana)
Perditions Blade combo 2 damage to Sunwalker (3 mana)
Token trades with Sunwalker
Sheep trades with 9/2 Ghoul.

I'm left with 3/2 Cleric and 2/2 Weapon.

Opponent has left game. LULZ.

Haly

There's also not that much in Hearthstone to "innovate", too be frank. The viable card pool is too small and there are too many "clearly superior cards", as well as only two archetypes (aggro, control) that all happen to share similar cards.

scy

Yeah, most the major innovations are really just meta reads and not like "Hey, we found this new super awesome combo setup for a deck." It's really just, "Hey, this deck type works great now."

Xater

There's also not that much in Hearthstone to "innovate", too be frank. The viable card pool is too small and there are too many "clearly superior cards", as well as only two archetypes (aggro, control) that all happen to share similar cards.

That's why er need new cards. Man I really want new cards....

Pepboy

Hi all, I am looking for some advice. I have a hunter deck that I really enjoy playing. I don't read too much about the meta but basically, I use unleash the hounds coupled with starving buzzard after baiting my opponent into overcommitting.

When I don't draw buzzard, I instead rely on timber / dire wolf or scavenging hyena to make the unleash the hounds worthwhile. To get unleash the hounds I try to base my deck around drawing a lot of cards (loot hoarder, novice engineer). Here's a picture:

Not shown: Stranglethorn tiger, argent commander, and savannah nightmare.

My question -- With the recent changes to Nat Pagle and the high DE value, should I scrap Nat in exchange for 2 x snake trap (secret card that gives 3 beast minions, when combined with buzzard could work well) and Sea / Mountain Giant? I would then ditch Ironfur grizzly, Multi-shot, and maybe Kill Command or Houndmaster.

Thank you!

Played my first game against another person today and won. Felt great! Used a pally and beat a mage..He ended up quitting.

Quick question: How do you do the emotes/stock phrases like, "What to do?"

Also, how can you tell the rarity of the cards you get?

JesseZao

Played my first game against another person today and won. Felt great! Used a pally and beat a mage..He ended up quitting.

Quick question: How do you do the emotes/stock phrases like, "What to do?"

That one is an idle emote that just happens automatically. The ones you control are done by right-clicking your portrait.

Haly

That's why er need new cards. Man I really want new cards....

New cards would go a long way but I feel Hearthstone's problem is more fundamental than that. As long as Blizzard keeps their current design paradigm it's going to lead to a lot of staleness down the road.

I want to see them create crazier effects and avenues of interaction beyond just "better stats, better value". Look at the best neutral rares in the game.

Argent Commander: Divine Shield, Charge
Azure Drake: Spell damage, card draw
Defender of Argus: +1/+1, Taunt

There's only so much you can do by remixing these things over and over again. The Innervate discussion a few pages ago exemplifies what I'm talking about. If the most powerful play possible involving 2 free mana is "play a big dude sooner than you would normally play him", then that means the game is pretty vanilla.

Scy, while I agree with you that the card pool is way too small to innovate very much, I disagree with this idea that the 'average player' is not going to create a decent deck. Back when I played MTG, I noticed that there were two very distinct types of players. Some people played because they liked to win and they enjoyed the mechanics of the game. Players like this are the type that will tweak their decks for the meta as you mentioned, making small 'refinements', not 'innovations', and probably netdecking most of their decks. The other type of player enjoys the creative process of deckbuilding, enjoys watching crazy things happen on the board. These types of players are the ones who often create the very netdecks that the 'refiner' players use. The former types of players do much better in tournament settings, while the latter types sometimes take a tournament randomly because no one saw their 'scrubby deck' coming.

Like you said, though, there are far too few cards in Hearthstone to innovate much currently, so there's not much to complain about. Still, I am personally with Soneet on the frustration of playing against netdecks. I really despise playing against the aggro netdecks especially because you feel like the match is almost completely non-interactive (i.e. comes down to the coinflip of him either aggroing out or you drawing the right taunts), while also knowing that this person put no creativity of his own into deckbuilding. Every deck that I run in the ranked is one that I came up with on my own. Some are really janky but fun to play with, while others are pretty competitive.

Anyways, I think what it comes down to for some players who really enjoy the deckbuilding aspect of the game is that it is really frustrating to play repeatedly against people who put absolutely no thought into that aspect and yet beat you. Really its these two different types of players butting heads. Personally, I would be happy just building crazy decks and trying them out against other people who did the same, with absolutely no 'competitive' aspect whatsoever to it. To me, a big part of the game is just seeing things unfold, watching another deck 'do its thing', and trying to get my own to do it. I know this approach isn't for everyone, though. Anyways, that should at least give people an idea of where this sentiment is coming from: when a huge part of the game for you is deck building, and you keep facing people who are just ignoring that aspect, it drains the fun out of the experience.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, reasons like this are why I have always loved draft in MTG and somewhat more enjoy arena in Hearthstone. Both are about deckbuilding. The issue I have with arena right now is that card choices are so limited that there is no reason to 'think outside the box', rather it makes more sense to always pick 'the best card' you are presented with. Once more cards are added to the game, I hope they increase the number of choices you have for each card choice in arena. Rather than 3 choices, I am thinking 5? Doing this would really open up the field to many different viable options. The card pool isn't big enough for this right now, though.

Plissken

DO YOU LIKE TO PLAY WITH FIRE?!?!

Happy this is out fully now, looking forward to being smashed in the face by new people!

Xater

New cards would go a long way but I feel Hearthstone's problem is more fundamental than that. As long as Blizzard keeps their current design paradigm it's going to lead to a lot of staleness down the road.

I want to see them create crazier effects and avenues of interaction beyond just "better stats, better value". Look at the best neutral rares in the game.

Argent Commander: Divine Shield, Charge
Azure Drake: Spell damage, card draw
Defender of Argus: +1/+1, Taunt

There's only so much you can do by remixing these things over and over again. The Innervate discussion a few pages ago exemplifies what I'm talking about. If the most powerful play possible involving 2 free mana is "play a big dude sooner than you would normally play him", then that means the game is pretty vanilla.

Well we are certainly not getting any new effects without new cards. Magic evolved over time and so will hopefully this game with more cards.

Fae

Neo Member
I'm confused about this line in the patch notes:
Blizzard said:
• New card backs have been added. Collect these by doing awesome things such as participating in each Ranked Season!

So the card backs are in the game as of now, but they won't be given out as rewards until April (when the first "official" ranked season supposedly begins)? Is this true?

Also, has anyone found out how to earn the "Fireside Friends" achievement which unlocks the Launch Card Back? Or is this also unavailable until next month?

fcxKPTP.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom