• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Previous Threads:
Beta - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755759
OT1 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782919
OT2 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878696
OT3 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008907
OT4 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1086390
OT5 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131872
OT6 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1201002

------

Hr3iXm8.jpg

What is Hearthstone?
Hearthstone is a free-to-play online Collectible Card Game (F2POCCG, which is a real genre) from Blizzard, based on the Warcraft universe. Choose a hero corresponding to one of the nine classes in Vanilla WoW and create a deck using their signature mechanics to fight other players in Casual or Ranked matchmaking. Earn Gold for every three wins and use the Gold to buy booster packs in order to expand your card pool, or use the Gold to purchase a ticket to the Arena where you construct your own deck on the fly using a random pool of all cards in the game. There is no offline play, but there are singleplayer adventure modes.

Download the client (Windows, Mac) on the main site. Note, you will also need a Blizzard account to log in to their launcher.

How to play Hearthstone?
I'm not going to go into that here, just play the tutorial to learn the game.

How to really play Hearthstone?
Read articles, apply critical thinking, watch good streamers.

Is there an in-game/player-driven economy?
No. There is no card trading or buying cards from other players and there probably won't be anytime in the foreseeable future. In its place is a crafting system. You can disenchant cards you do not want for arcane dust. You can then use that arcane dust to craft cards you do want.

Is this game Pay2Win?'
Of a sort. The thing you should know about Hearthstone is that if you're not going to pay money, plan on playing a lot (read: grinding) or becoming really good at Arena. The longer a player has played, the bigger their card pool will be. This means that an older, frequent player will always have better cards than a newer player. This is just an unavoidable part of collectible card games.

A paying player can save a lot of time by buying boosters, but it's not cheap and they're not guaranteed the best of the best cards, which is, in the end, what separates good decks from the best decks. Buying some boosters right off, however, will help you build a foundation to reliably win games in order to get Gold.

If you really hate not having good cards, then stick to Arena, which is a "level" playing field for a certain definition of "level".

What's the balance like?
This far post release, the Hearthstone team is committed to only affecting balance changes when they are "absolutely necessary".

If I like MTG/YGO/blah blah blah, will I like this?
Hearthstone is simplistic compared to games like MTG and YGO. The reason for this is because of Hearthstone's asynchronous turns, which means that you can't make any moves on your opponents turns. Hearthstone does have it's own particular brand of complexity, but it's really designed from the ground up to be a "pick up and play game". If you're looking for a hardcore card game experience like MTG, you won't find it here, but if you're looking for a streamlined card game experience you can jump in and out of whenever you want, then Hearthstone is right for you.

Anyway it's free, so you don't lose much by giving it a shot.

peI9qrv.jpg

NeoGAF Hearthstone Discord Channel

Le Reddit Guide - Probably the best place to start if you're totally new.
Trump Teachings - A video series by one of the game's most notable streamers. This is essentially Hearthstone 101 and is mandatory viewing for any new player looking for a crash course in Hearthstone strategy.
Liquid Hearth's Beginner Guides - Some of the info is outdated but the general ideas remain the same.
Three Competing Resources Parts 1, 2, 3 - A series of articles on "resources" in the context of a card game, which goes well beyond just mana.
Gold, Arcane Dust, and Real Money Tips - Some tips from yours truly about how you should be managing your gold, arcane dust, and any real money with Hearthstone.

zmCTLEI.jpg

Official Forums - A veritable nest of QQ and cries for nerf, just like your WoW days!
Team Liquid's Hearthstone Portal - Better place to discuss and learn about Hearthstone, frequently featuring competitive analysis and deck tech articles.
IHearthU - Another good site for high level Hearthstone discourse.
Hearthpwn and Managrind - Part of the Curse family of gaming sites, not only does it have an online database of cards and deck building tool, it is also home to ManaGrind, one of the premiere Hearthstone tournaments!
Hearthstone Wiki - Obligatory game wiki.
HearthArena - This website will help you out while drafting for arena. You enter the three cards you are presented for each pick and the tool will attempt to recommend you the best pick based on a general tier list and your current deck.
Gutshot's Hearthstone Collection Spreadsheet - You can use this to keep track of your current card collection.

jPH90XN.jpg

Official Blizzard Channels: YouTube, Twitch. Blizzard's Official YouTube/Twitch channels. Used for officially sanctioned tournaments and announcements.
Amaz: YouTube, Twitch - Over the top reactions. Says "That's a card". Constructed and arena.
Brian Kibler: YouTube, Twitch - High level, very professional streamer. Former MTG Champion. Doesn't usually play meta-decks. Constructed-only.
Forsen: Twitch - Popular yet very salty stream. Politically Incorrect. Twitch at its best/worst depending on who you ask. Great if you're a high schooler who needs an angry father figure in their life.
Hafu: Twitch - Very high level arena play.
Kolento: YouTube, Twitch - Arguably the best player in the world. Very high level stream.
Kripparian: YouTube. Twitch - Very popular stream. Very chill. Decent arena play. Good YouTube content.
Reynad: YouTube, Twitch - Pro player who nonetheless probably hates the game and his life. Some of his donators sexually identify as attack helicopters.
Trump: YouTube, Twitch - Nice guy. Lots of good YouTube content. Constructed and arena.
Funny and Lucky Moments (Trolden): YouTube - Crazy play montages.
Epic Plays (Rage Orc): YouTube - More crazy play montages.
Disguised Toast: YouTube - Variety video content
Hearthstone Science: YouTube - Advanced Rules Experimentation and Discovery

TBKEMcK.jpg

Hearthstone Calendar
Team Liquid Calendar

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That new thread smell!

Also My brawl got my a Golden Al'Akir today! Which means I can dust it and finally craft a Jaraxxus! I can play Handlock just in time for it not to be any good now!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OT title makes me mad.

Fishlake

The title fits standard perfectly. It just lacks some bombs.

I did a hellfire into a boom bot KO in wild yesterday it was rad because the pally was likely going to heal for 20 next turn. Only had to sacrifice some guys and a beltcher in the process.

The heart of the cards were on my side ;).

Edit: You didn't see anything.

Fishlake

Well I'm calling them boob bots now too.

Woops...

Edit more games.

I was at 2 health and a control warrior has 13 health and a 1 durability deathbite and no hand. I drop Malganis down to seal the game with my dark bomb ;).

The very next game vs a hunter. He chooses to send Huffer into my 1/1 imp instead of my 5/3 chancellor. I coil his huffer and draw secret eater and eat the freezing trap.

So many people are thrown off by my deck. I love it!

Dahbomb

I just noticed that all of the classes that are good right now are some form of Orc.

Damn son, Blizzard needs to up the racial diversity in HS!

Line_HTX

Hey guys, how's it going?

I haven't played in months, but I wonder is SMOrc Shaman the best SMOrc at the moment? I used to like Face Hunter but then that got overrun by SMOrc Paladins and then I stopped entirely.

wiibomb

don't particularly like the OT title, but on the other hand, new thread!!

I'll be around here as long as I suck at the game and need help :p

I appreciate any help and patience.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I just noticed that all of the classes that are good right now are some form of Orc.

Hamuul Runetotem for Druid please.

Tauren are so cool. I want more of them in the game. D=

I haven't played in months, but I wonder is SMOrc Shaman the best SMOrc at the moment? I used to like Face Hunter but then that got overrun by SMOrc Paladins and then I stopped entirely.

Probably. It's strongest competition is Face Warrior.

Ayup.

SMOrc Shaman is the best SMOrc at the moment, no doubt. SMOrc Hunter is dead with the loss of Leper Gnome. The class doesn't even have a solid 1-drop.

Pirate Warrior is pretty SMOrc and quite strong as well, though. When you have a 6/3 Arcanite Reaper, that's pretty much GG.

don't particularly like the OT title, but on the other hand, new thread!!

I'll be around here as long as I suck at the game and need help :p

I appreciate any help and patience.
Shout into the salt mines, and you shall receive an answer.

Hamuul Runetotem for Druid please.

Tauren are so cool. I want more of them in the game. D=
My WoW main was a Tauren - they're hardly in here. Ditto for intelligent undead.

KuroNeeko

Brawl was awesome!

I went Rogue: Prep x 2, Sap x 2, Cutpurse x 1, Goblin Auctioneer x 1, Thistle Tea x 1

Coin → Prep → Cutpurse → Unstable

Sapped his first creature (Ancient of War) and he conceded.

I kind of wanted to try Yogg-Druid and Summoning Stone as well, but naaaah.

We're all the same on the inside!

Tarazet

Been doing well in Brawl with this wombo combo:

CTlow3q.jpg

For what it's worth, if you have all goldens you get golden Coin, but not Unstable Portals.

TomServo

This was today:

Despite playing since season one, my cheap ass has spent maybe $50 on this game and hasn't spent any money since BRM; I'm still missing a lot of classic set legendaries. So... should I dust this for something like Thalnos, Alex, Van Cleef, Tirion?

This was today:

Despite playing since season one, my cheap ass has spent maybe $50 on this game and hasn't spent any money since BRM; I'm still missing a lot of classic set legendaries. So... should I dust this for something like Thalnos, Alex, Van Cleef, Tirion?

It isnt a necessary legendary so yea if you want to dust it for a higher priority legendary

scarlet

This was today:

Maybe a neutral legendary

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It isnt a necessary legendary so yea if you want to dust it for a higher priority legendary

I don't see why you wouldn't dust any golden legendary you don't currently need for a legendary you do currently need. Even if it is a golden sylvanas.

wiibomb

This was today:

hey! I got exactly the same one!

it's trash

if you don't care about the golden one, you should look into a legendary you want to use. First check them and their uses in the meta, then you can decide

I won't ever dust mine

This was today:

You'll never make a paladin deck without Tirion, while all these others phase in and out of the meta, or have half decent substitutes. Put your faith in the Light!

Tarazet

hey! I got exactly the same one!

it's trash

if you don't care about the golden one, you should look into a legendary you want to use. First check them and their uses in the meta, then you can decide

I won't ever dust mine

I got a golden Happy Deathwing too.
I'm never dusting mine either

fertygo

I just finished the greatest Hearthstone game ever, I survived 2 highmane and 2 call of the wild!

God the game can't be much better after this

Dahbomb

Was bored so I made some custom Hearthstone cards for the next expansion (one for each class):

bf69f988.png

Return of Blade Flurry combo but it's a solid weapon by itself.

59cd4beb.png

A more consistent board clear option for Warrior. This works very similar to Shadow Flame only it makes your minion immune and by the time the spell is done it will return your minion at 1 HP (added one mana because it keeps your minion alive even at 1 HP).

c386be91.png

This is basically a stall spell for Druids. Threaten means they can't attack for one turn like Frozen. I wanted a spell for Fatigue/Slow Druid. Will probably never see play but I wanted this flavor in.

d4714961.png

Wanted a card for Shaman that promoted a slower playstyle and one that changed their hero power that allowed them to pull that off. This does it nicely. Probably will also never get used but at least it's not a curve god minion

f69e2caf.png

Pretty simple idea here, Hunter kinda needs card draw and this is a way to make them also use more Secrets and play a slower playstyle. Win win.

2586a5bb.png

This card is probably insanely powerful but IDGAF this is the type of early game minion that Priest kinda needs to play anything aside from Dragon and Control. And with Dragons going out with BRM, they kinda need the help.

ee02bc3c.png

Because screw you I am god damn tired of getting wasted by Mana Wyrms/Imp Gangs/Tunnel Troggs/Totem Golems in the opener.

11592d61.png

Don't know where a card like this fits for Paladin but it looks dope.

bde4120d.png

So Brian "Dragon Master" Kibler can rest in peace.

wiibomb

are there any news of what are they doing next with expansions and whatnot? or may be when should we hear about it

Tarazet

I finished someone else's spectate quest, and they got Malygos and Gruul off the pack. I was like wat. Can I get some of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom