• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Acerac

Banned
I remember a game where a cleric was like 14/14 on turn 2 (radiant, coin, PW shield, PW shield, divine spirit, inner fire). All you can do is spam "wow" and then concede after roping.

Most classes actually have answers that you could play instead of being salty about losing, but you do you.

Well idk about most classes. Not only that but the chances of any class having an answer to that on turn 2 is pretty darn slim.

If you are going into Turn 3 of their Turn 2, or have the coin, there are lots of choices

Druid - Naturalize
Hunter - Hunter's Mark (you should have a minion on board on T2 if you are a Hunter), Adapt Poison, Freezing Trap, Misdirection (for fun!)
Mage - Frostbolt (to stall), Mirror Image (same), Glyph into Meteor after stalling? Same with Vaporize and Polymorph
Pali - Eye for an Eye, Noble Sacrifice and other 1 Mana Secrets can be nabbed from a 2 Mana Hydrologist to annoy, Aldor Peacekeeper helps
Priest - Silence I guess. Shadow Word: Death
Rouge - Sap to stall the buff nonsense, then get to Turn 5 will the likes of Vilespine Slayer
Shaman - Tech in a Earth Shock , Devlove, Hex
Warlock - PLAY RENOUNCE DARKNESS AND HOPE
Warrior - Something small and Execute or build a Taunt Wall

EDIT: couldn't even say thanks, that was a damn interesting game and I think I threw it on the last turns. thanks.

Hmm what could you have done differently? At the end there, I was just cycling Jade Idols and you were near fatigue yourself. I assume your hand had a second DrakOp, Twilight, Netherspite, a Dragonfire? I had both Feral Rages and an Earthern Scales in my hand too.

Hybris

If you are going into Turn 3 of their Turn 2, or have the coin, there are lots of choices

Druid - Naturalize
Hunter - Hunter's Mark (you should have a minion on board on T2 if you are a Hunter), Adapt Poison, Freezing Trap, Misdirection (for fun!)
Mage - Frostbolt (to stall), Mirror Image (same), Glyph into Meteor after stalling? Same with Vaporize and Polymorph
Pali - Eye for an Eye, Noble Sacrifice and other 1 Mana Secrets can be nabbed from a 2 Mana Hydrologist to annoy, Aldor Peacekeeper helps
Priest - Silence I guess. Shadow Word: Death
Rouge - Sap to stall the buff nonsense, then get to Turn 5 will the likes of Vilespine Slayer
Shaman - Tech in a Earth Shock , Devlove, Hex
Warlock - PLAY RENOUNCE DARKNESS AND HOPE
Warrior - Something small and Execute or build a Taunt Wall

Guess I had to mention that I was more talking about decks that people actually play. There's no point discussing hypothetical responses imo. Naturalize is trash, trap hunter is bad at the moment but curving into razormaw poison is a good answer, mage could handle it, paladin with aldor, priest with death, rogue's don't play sap in favor of vilespines, shaman devolve, warlock (lol), warrior wouldn't have a turn 1 minion so a 2 card combo and coin is needed or they die.

Not to mention none of these responses are even close to viable options for mulligan keeps (except hunter's)so the chances of actually having these responses is less than 6% for 1 card and way way less than that for 2 card combos.

You have every right to feel bad when a priest has that opener because in 95% of cases it wins the game and if it doesn't you still have tempo and it wasn't that big of an investment because you drew 2 cards.

(Wild) - Why is Reno Priest no longer viable?

I am just curious on this one. Reno Dragon Priest and Reno Death Rattle priest were a lot of fun. Not one top player in the tournament is using it. It's how I went legendary before. What happened to make it fall out of favor?

they're still good in wild, just kinda slow? there was def a reno dragon priest in the wild championships iirc

This game is fucking terrible.

hearthstonesucksyery4.png

Pooya

For once I agree with Bananas. I'm fed up with mage, it actively discourages me to play the game. Their random ass trash is so stupid.

DrkSage

Fucking priest are bullshit. I don't know how many times I've gotten a priest to lower than 10, ran out of mana, and he just sits there's and heals all the way up to 30.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
has blizzard explained why explained why secret activate when you kill mad scientist?

Assuming you're talking about the interaction with battlecries that kill Mad Scientist?

Hearthstone occurs in phases, and whenever you play a minion, the following sequence of phases occurs. On Play Phase -> Battlecry Phrase -> After Play Phase. The After Play Phase exists because it makes more sense for some cards to check conditions after the battlecry occurs. For example, Mirror Entity triggers in the After Play Phase so that identical minions are summoned from minions with battlecries that change stats. For example, when you play Twilight Drake, Mirror Entity creates a 4/x instead of a 4/1.

The key is that Hearthstone processes minion deaths at the end of every single phase. So here's how that sequence plays out.

On Play Phase -> You Play Fire Elemental
Battlecry Phase -> Fire Elemental deals damage to Mad Scientist, kills it
-----Death Processing -> Mirror Entity enters play
After Play Phase -> Mirror Entity checks condition, notices that you played Fire Elemental at the beginning of the sequence and triggers.

TankUP

Fucking priest are bullshit. I don't know how many times I've gotten a priest to lower than 10, ran out of mana, and he just sits there's and heals all the way up to 30.

yo7yZlB.jpg

The trick is to run 'em out of Shadow Word: Deaths and make a 30+damage board that can't be removed with dragonfire potion. EZ GG NO RE.

(The *only* reason I'm even playing Jade Druid this season is I got so sick of Priests--I was seeing them in 40%+ of my matches, even though vSS says I should have only been seeing them 12% or so).

Blizzard

Banned
Do priests normally build lots of AOE? I've seen two in a row now, they seem to include the following:

2x holy nova
1-2 dragonfire
1-2 wild pyromancer
1-2 primordial drake
shadow visions to discover more copies of any of the above

Also just for fun, against my shaman deck an enemy priest discovered 3 different jade cards (one of them Aya, naturally) when my deck only had 5-6. That's something like 0.1% odds if I'm doing the math right.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Guess I had to mention that I was more talking about decks that people actually play. There's no point discussing hypothetical responses imo. Naturalize is trash, trap hunter is bad at the moment but curving into razormaw poison is a good answer, mage could handle it, paladin with aldor, priest with death, rogue's don't play sap in favor of vilespines, shaman devolve, warlock (lol), warrior wouldn't have a turn 1 minion so a 2 card combo and coin is needed or they die.

Not to mention none of these responses are even close to viable options for mulligan keeps (except hunter's)so the chances of actually having these responses is less than 6% for 1 card and way way less than that for 2 card combos.

You have every right to feel bad when a priest has that opener because in 95% of cases it wins the game and if it doesn't you still have tempo and it wasn't that big of an investment because you drew 2 cards.
Meanwhile all the Priest needs to do is go second and get six specific cards by turn 3.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Assuming you're talking about the interaction with battlecries that kill Mad Scientist?

Hearthstone occurs in phases, and whenever you play a minion, the following sequence of phases occurs. On Play Phase -> Battlecry Phrase -> After Play Phase. The After Play Phase exists because it makes more sense for some cards to check conditions after the battlecry occurs. For example, Mirror Entity triggers in the After Play Phase so that identical minions are summoned from minions with battlecries that change stats. For example, when you play Twilight Drake, Mirror Entity creates a 4/x instead of a 4/1.

The key is that Hearthstone processes minion deaths at the end of every single phase. So here's how that sequence plays out.

On Play Phase -> You Play Fire Elemental
Battlecry Phase -> Fire Elemental deals damage to Mad Scientist, kills it
-----Death Processing -> Mirror Entity enters play
After Play Phase -> Mirror Entity checks condition, notices that you played Fire Elemental at the beginning of the sequence and triggers.

Mad scientist killed with a spell that pulls cat trick triggers cat trick. That will never not be stupid.

DrkSage

yo7yZlB.jpg

The trick is to run 'em out of Shadow Word: Deaths and make a 30+damage board that can't be removed with dragonfire potion. EZ GG NO RE.

(The *only* reason I'm even playing Jade Druid this season is I got so sick of Priests--I was seeing them in 40%+ of my matches, even though vSS says I should have only been seeing them 12% or so).

zhwT18f.png

ouboTQZ.png

Still wasn't enough to get him to zero.

The only reason I went for so many damage spells is because I don't like and I don't trust priest. Hate them with a passion.

wiibomb

Hmm what could you have done differently? At the end there, I was just cycling Jade Idols and you were near fatigue yourself. I assume your hand had a second DrakOp, Twilight, Netherspite, a Dragonfire? I had both Feral Rages and an Earthern Scales in my hand too.

I had a deathwing on hand, a dragonfire, a mind control and a shadow madness, I'm pretty sure I could have gotten rid of the board as well as doing some serious damage if it wasn't for the taunts lol.

In any case, I was in a lost game since you would just override me with jades.

I also need to play jade druid better.

fertygo

zhwT18f.png

ouboTQZ.png

Still wasn't enough to get him to zero.

The only reason I went for so many damage spells is because I don't like and I don't trust priest. Hate them with a passion.

why you not get rid of the priest of the feast?

its suck to waste damage but you had to, and since apparently that is kazakus priest, he only had 1.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mad scientist killed with a spell that pulls cat trick triggers cat trick. That will never not be stupid.

The sequence is pretty much the same with an On Play -> Spell phase -> After Spell Phase.

And yeah, I agree. I think it could be fixed with a simple rule change. If a secret is put into play it should be inert until the end of the sequence. Secrets are meant to be played around.

Hybris

Meanwhile all the Priest needs to do is go second and get six specific cards by turn 3.

Yeah, but it does happen more often than you think, they are looking for 4/6 of those cards in the mulligan. Even so, the fact that it is very unlikely makes it feel even worse when it happens to you.

Hybris

So we still have no idea if the double gold ends on Wednesday, or new TB?

I'm just going to do all my quests tonight regardless of gold amount since someone tested changing their pc's clock to Wednesday and the double gold bonus was not showing in the client.

Reno Mage pisses me off. Every other Reno deck has to make an intelligent decision about when to use Reno, and how low one's health can go before having to drop him. Reno Mage just waits for Ice Block to proc.

Three wins this morning on Miracle Rogue has put me in a really good mood. It feels good to have a deck that feels like it can adapt to many situations. I know gunther mage would probably be more reliable, but I don't like the uninteractive nature of how it plays.

Schnauzer

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to try to come back to the game and build my wild Reno priest deck. I'm curious if I can do it. I don't have the time to grind again, so I'll probably stay at under 10 anyway.

Thanks for the motivation. :)

TankUP

I'm not sure if I should finish all my quests for today or if this event is ending tomorrow and not today.

We should know soon, Asia rolls over to Wednesday in a couple of hours. I went ahead and cleared all my quests on Asia this morning just in case.

wiibomb

We should know soon, Asia rolls over to Wednesday in a couple of hours. I went ahead and cleared all my quests on Asia this morning just in case.

that is true, I forgot the timezones.

at what time is the change? I also suppose the brawl starts in some hours too?

TankUP

that is true, I forgot the timezones.

at what time is the change? I also suppose the brawl starts in some hours too?

Brawl is later in Asia and EU than NA. (A point of contention for those regions). It's Wednesday on Asia server and double gold is still live. Maybe it's going to be live until the new Tavern Brawl?

wiibomb

Brawl is later in Asia and EU than NA. (A point of contention for those regions). It's Wednesday on Asia server and double gold is still live. Maybe it's going to be live until the new Tavern Brawl?

that has been the speculation, that double quests will go off the moment the frost festival takes over with the tavern brawl.

Blizzard

Banned
Fuck, is there any good hunter deck to clear quests?
The less time-consuming method: If it's the 5-win quest, just ask a friend to let you win 5 games, and help them with a quest (I'm sure one of us can help you if you don't know anyone). If it's the 50-card quest I assume you wouldn't ask because you don't have to win.

If it's not the 5-win quest, or the 50-card quest, reroll.

wiibomb

wait, but if the double quest is still active for chinese players on wednesday, then we should still be able to complete quests with double gold before tomorrow's brawl, no?

sibarraz

Banned
The less time-consuming method: If it's the 5-win quest, just ask a friend to let you win 5 games, and help them with a quest (I'm sure one of us can help you if you don't know anyone). If it's the 50-card quest I assume you wouldn't ask because you don't have to win.

If it's not the 5-win quest, or the 50-card quest, reroll.

I already rerolled, is the 3 wins quest

Top Bottom