• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

TankUP

Old Gods had Cultist, Ravaging Ghoul, First Mate, Blood to Ichor, Bloodhoof Brave, Malkorok, and Shieldbearer. Probably the best ratio of "good" cards and the class still struggled during the meta sometimes. The Un'goro set was pretty underwhelming outside of Hatchling but what can you do. Could say the same of many other classes, because Un'goro was defined more by the neutrals than anything else in my eyes.

Warrior did not struggle in Old Gods. Heck, Old Gods was warrior stone. That was when Pirate Warrior became a real deck (Chakki and others even brought it to a bunch of tournaments during that cycle). Tempo Warrior was the best deck in the meta until Dragon Warrior took its spot like 5 or 6 weeks later. Control Warrior was really good, and was seeing play with several variants, including fatigue focused lists. C'thun Warrior was better, both the control and cycle versions. Warrior had the best combo deck with the Raging Worgen/Charge OTK. People were even playing spell Warrior with Yogg. I don't think there's ever been a meta before or since where one class was so good at so many different things. Aggro, Midrange, Control and Combo were all the domain of Warrior and Warrior was by far the most played class in that meta.

Warrior was so good it earned the class an unwarranted and unfair nerf to Execute and is probably the reason Jade Idol was printed, to make sure decks where the win condition is remove everything and kill with fatigue damage would never be viable again.

But Jade druid isn't a midrange deck either.

Uh.... yeah it is? It's not a tempo deck, or a control deck, or an aggro deck. You could argue it's a combo deck, but if it is, it's a midrange combo deck--and you could say the same thing about taunt warrior.

Hycran

Banned
Fucking arena now i know how Kripp feels. Priest has been playing no board clears and has a pretty new hand so ive got a bunch of minions on the board, next turn lethal. He curious glimmerroots my doctor 5, then uses doctor 5 into holy nova, thereby allowing him to get past my taunts, clear my board and heal himself out of range of direct damage.

Never Lucky.

As I said above, I'd rather have tar creeper vs aggro.

Taunt warrior is a midrange deck with late game inevitability. You play minions on curve until you ramp up to your win condition and then you press the button until you win or lose. It's got more in common with Jade Druid than it does with any true Control deck.

Actually it doesn't have that much in common with jade druid, which is heavy board proactive with little removal. It's almost the opposite. It's heavy removal with some taunts to enable the quest completion. Quest warrior is more like classic control warrior, where it set up alexstrasza into gromm finishers, than it is about creating a plan to win to win off board like jade druid does.

Unwarranted execute nerf is funny though. That was an absolutely warranted nerf. They could have gone further with warrior nerfs and warrior would still have been fine.

Brawl seems to have some new cards this time around? My opponent used Spirit Echo before a Living Bomb went off, which was annoying. But Rag just out-values if Nef doesn't beat him down quickly.

Got 2 Flamestrikes in my Arena draft. Also got Finja so I picked some Murlocs. Of course, first game I never draw Flamestrike but draw all my Murlocs before Finja.

scarlet

It takes me 2 brawl.

Both as Rag, lost my 1st one, cuz he got 0 mana free from amber to Yshaarj and I had no removal.

Not gonna open the packs. Still waiting for my compensation for 1 Legendary in 47 packs.

TankUP

Actually it doesn't have that much in common with jade druid, which is heavy board proactive with little removal. It's almost the opposite. It's heavy removal with some taunts

It generally doesn't even run shield slam. The removal is does have it tries to save for after quest completion, not because it wants to control the board but because it wants a clear path to face for its hero power.

"Some" taunts is an understatement. I guess freeze mage runs "some" burn, rogue runs "some" spells, aggro warrior has "some" pirates and "some" weapons...

Anyway, can you take my word and the word of other control warrior fans that taunt warrior is NOT what we wanted?

It's like if I was trying to convince you that Burgle rogue is a satisfying and equivalent replacement for oil rogue. 😲

TankUP

Mom! Levi and Mobius are fighting again!

;)

I assume you mean me, and I'm enjoying my debate with Mr Octopus. I like being challenged on this because it's forcing me to think through and justify my feelings. If there's one thing about this game I'll always love it is bitching about cwar getting screwed. ;)

Mom! Levi and Mobius are fighting again!

;)

tenor.gif

gutshot

I assume you mean me, and I'm enjoying my debate with Mr Octopus. I like being challenged on this because it's forcing me to think through and justify my feelings. If there's one thing about this game I'll always love it is bitching about cwar getting screwed. ;)

Ha! Fair enough. Just trying to keep things light in here.

Now give us more card reveals, Blizz!

Again, you can't divorce Warrior from the cards it already has, which are some of the best in the game and ensure it will pretty much always have at least one high tier deck unless power creep gets more insane. At times there's two and sometimes three.

And even with that in mind, Warrior still gets better cards than many other classes. If that armor card was a Warlock card it would be gain six health, discard two cards.

You can play a Control Warrior list now that isn't taunt Warrior and it's likely to have a better winrate than any deck in two entire classes. There's zero reason for Warrior to get super powerful control cards right now.

TankUP

I'm ready for King Mosh to be good. I had misgivings at the Un'goro launch but I also had a ton of Hall of Fame dust so....

3LVkSrB.png

You can play a Control Warrior list now that isn't taunt Warrior and it's likely to have a better winrate than any deck in two entire classes. There's zero reason for Warrior to get super powerful control cards right now.

While saying a tier 3 deck is better than a tier 4 deck is technically correct, to my mind it's a distinction without a difference. Nothing below tier two is worth playing in my opinion.

Grief.exe

Found this comment on Trump's review video

Timothy Su5 hours ago
Blizzard 2015: Lets design around the discard mechanics, print Tiny Knight of Evil and Fist of Jaraxxus!
Result: both suck, nvr seen play
Blizz: Fuck
Blizzard 2016: You know, discardlock needs buffs, print Malchezar's Imp and Silverware Golem.
Result: Massive buff to zoo, but no discardlock
Blizz:Fuck
Blizzard 2017 Ungoro: You know what would be good? Discardlock. Both legendaries and a rare! Print Clutchmother Zavas, Lakkari Sac, and Cruel Dinomancer!
Result: Warlock in general gets beaten into oblivion and dies off...
Blizz: Fuck
Blizzard 2017 Frozen Throne: Now what could we promote in warlocks this time......

hollomat

Banned
I love these free arenas. Arena is by far my favorite mode, but it normally gets really tough as we get closer to the launch of a new expansion since most people are hording gold and only the most hardcore arena players are playing.

This fresh blood has been amazing though. I'll draft a deck that would normally go 3-4 wins max and I'll easily get 7 or more wins thanks to the 1 free win and all the unexperienced arena players. When I'm playing a hunter and his first move is coin, hero power, I know it's going to be a good game for me.

hollomat

Banned
Interesting that they're doing a card stream already on Friday.

I wonder if maybe the release is sooner than expected?

From people datamining, there's one more week of the ice festival after this week. So I'd be very surprised if it releases before August 10th. They'll probably just show some of the death knight heroes on the stream.

Un'goro also had a reveal livestream with day9.

From people datamining, there's one more week of the ice festival after this week. So I'd be very surprised if it releases before August 10th. They'll probably just show some of the death knight heroes on the stream.

Good points.

I actually forgot the Un'Goro stream was almost a month before actual release. So I guess it doesn't mean much after all.

Either way, 10th is fine with me.

If the stats were reversed it would be so damn good lol..

As it stands....eh. Hunter is so bloated at the 3 mana slot right now.

Not a terrible option for the Zombeast though.

TankUP

Bear shark is same stats and better upside than that warrior minion, which might as well be a vanilla 4/3 for how often the deathrattle is actually going to go off.

Magnus

9-3 with a minion-heavy priest. The very best I've ever done in arena. Only had like 3 spells, but had a Velen, Medivh, Free From Amber, Cabal Priest, and a Curious Glimmerroot, Vicious Fledgling, and lots of good taunt minions. An Un'goro pack and 275g. Not bad.

Fucking all paladins in arena with crazy Grimy Goons booster cards. So brutal to play against without any board clears.

Stealing a Vinecleaver from one of them was so righteous. (But then I misplayed and destroyed it by accident by playing Medivh, and had no spells to take advantage of Atiesh. Lol. Still won.)

Is the max Frozen packs 52 right now?

gutshot

I don't think it is a bad card, but it's not super exciting either.

Also a bear having the "ethereal" attribute seems weird to me. Surely they could have made it some kind of mythical beast?

Blizzard

Banned
The free arena ticket gave me hunter, warrior, and shaman. Which is the least terrible? :( I found a tier list that says I should do shaman.

Pooya

I think that's good, lots of damage against mage/rogue.Very likely it could stick around and with houndmaster it's very scary.

Top Bottom