• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone Pack-prices to rise in EU & UK on March 22

danowat

Banned
Haven't spent a dime on the game and I'm currently sitting on 2k gold and 30k dust. Probably the most generous f2p game I've played.
generous? not really.

2k gold and 30k dust are arbitrary figures with no way of gauging how long that took.

let's take the 30k of dust, considering that 1600 would take you between 15 and 40 packs of cards (so 1500-4000 gold) and assuming that you can earn say, 1000 gold a week through quests, that's some serious time, and not what I'd call generous.

Yeah those price increases for the UK are ridiculous. Our currency didn't get hit that much.

the value of gbp -> usd decreased by about 21%~, while the average price increase is 25%. so not that far off, presumably it is anticipating further decline lmao.

Nope.

£9 = 10.30 euro. Euro price is 10

£17 = 19.46 euro, Euro price is 20

£44 = 50.36 euro. Euro Price is 50

£60 = 68.69 euro Euro price is 70 euro

All these prices work out exactly to what you'd expect and relative.

Nothing there is being priced to a further decline lol, these are adjusted to current currency values. If the pound drops as low as the euro then UK will pay in-line with the euro.

Zafir

Nope.

£9 = 10.30 euro. Euro price is 10

£17 = 19.46 euro, Euro price is 20

£44 = 50.36 euro. Euro Price is 50

£60 = 68.69 euro Euro price is 70 euro

All these prices work out exactly to what you'd expect and relative.

Nothing there is being priced to a further decline lol. If the pound drops as low as the euro then UK will pay in-line with the euro

Well, the issue was EU has always had a shit rate, and that's another argument entirely. I don't think that defends the UK prices also being shit.

$ |= €
$ |= £

Consequently. Feel free to complain about the EU prices too. Go ahead, I'm not stopping you.

However as a person living in the UK, I'm mainly complaining about what is affecting me.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The problem with Hearthstone is not the cost that you need to pay to be competitive. The problem with Hearthstone is that you only need about 20 cards to cover 95% of competitive play.

Pack prices are meaningless.
This is kind of true. If you want to craft the latest aggro cancer, it's pretty cheap. If you want to experiment with wacky, semi-viable decks, forget it.

Hearthstone has to be one of the worst values in all of gaming.

I don't understand this. I paid for 1 adventure and nothing else and I am more than in the loop of having cards. I just do the dailies and don't craft anything. When expansions come out I have around 3000 gold to grab packs. The dust I get from the xpac duplicates usually covers the 2-3 essential cards I am missing. I have done maybe 10 arenas so it isn't like I am carried on arena skill either.

This game is masterful in its F2P model if you play it regularly. I've never felt forced to pay2win. The worst was having to stagger my adventure purchases and get them late due to wasting gold on cards earlier on. Now I have learned to stockpile gold.

JSR_Cube

I don't understand this. I paid for 1 adventure and nothing else and I am more than in the loop of having cards. I just do the dailies and don't craft anything. When expansions come out I have around 3000 gold to grab packs. The dust I get from the xpac duplicates usually covers the 2-3 essential cards I am missing. I have done maybe 10 arenas so it isn't like I am carried on arena skill either.

This game is masterful in its F2P model if you play it regularly. I've never felt forced to pay2win. The worst was having to stagger my adventure purchases and get them late due to wasting gold on cards earlier on. Now I have learned to stockpile gold.

I have been able to do that too but with the new plan of 3 large expansions a year, I don't think I will be able to do that anymore.

Plus the game is just getting stale to me anyway. I don't really enjoy playing it anymore.

Well, the issue was EU has always had a shit rate, and that's another argument entirely. I don't think that defends the UK prices also being shit.

$ |= €
$ |= £

Consequently. Feel free to complain about the EU prices too. Go ahead, I'm not stopping you.

However as a person living in the UK, I'm mainly complaining about what is affecting me.

Your quote is saying the pound didn't get hit that much but it did. Both are based on currency value and work out the same.

You can be upset about the value of the Euro and Pound, I'm just pointing out nothing is untoward here.

Bunga

For all the people in this thread stating that Hearthstone is a generous F2P game, I would not like to be a new player coming into Hearthstone at this stage, I know the standard rotations make things easier but 3 expansions a year with hundreds of cards each from now on? It's a bad spot for new players I feel. It's all well and good having your thousands of gold and dust saved up but new players don't have that luxury.

We know that they're losing existing player numbers since the last couple of expansions/adventures. I dunno what they can do, because for a couple of years there, I absolutely loved this game. Now, I just feel like it's a lost cause.

hollomat

Banned
generous? not really.

2k gold and 30k dust are arbitrary figures with no way of gauging how long that took.

let's take the 30k of dust, considering that 1600 would take you between 15 and 40 packs of cards (so 1500-4000 gold) and assuming that you can earn say, 1000 gold a week through quests, that's some serious time, and not what I'd call generous.

It's extremely generous. Let's look at non arbitrary figures then. Every 2 days you get enough gold to buy a pack just from dailies (more if you reroll for higher gold quests) and you get a free classic pack once a week. Whenever they release new expansions they also give out packs for free. Not sure what more you want from the game. You can easily play the game without spending a cent in it and be competitive. Not many other free to play games you can say the same about, except for free to play games where you can only phase cosmetics.

Eridani

It's extremely generous. Let's look at non arbitrary figures then. Every 2 days you get enough gold to buy a pack just from dailies (more if you reroll for higher gold quests) and you get a free classic pack once a week. Whenever they release new expansions they also give out packs for free. Not sure what more you want from the game. You can easily play the game without spending a cent in it and be competitive. Not many other free to play games you can say the same about, except for free to play games where you can only phase cosmetics.

When most other f2p card games give you multiple free packs per day, a pack every 2 days can't really be called "extremely generous".

Fledz

Man, I can't be bothered playing half the time and this doesn't make it any better. To be honest I get more value from watching others play.

Day9, Kibler, Savjz, Toast and a few others produce enough videos on a regular basis where I might as well not even play the game anymore. Money better spent elsewhere.

hollomat

Banned
When most other f2p card games give you multiple free packs per day, a pack every 2 days can't really be called "extremely generous".

To each their own, but I've tried the other f2p card games and can't get into them. I really enjoy hearthstone and would much rather have a free pack every 2 days from a game I love than multiple free packs per day from games that aren't for me.

Crosseyes

Banned
Ouch at that U.K. spike.

Remember folks, bad political outcomes have consequences. I fear just what damage the U.S. is in line for a couples years down the line after its own Brexit caliber decison.

The game is practically P2P as it stands now, anyway. With the inclusion of three blocks a year, it's going to be that much harder for F2P players to get a decent chunk of sets.

I think they are mismanaging the game pretty heavily at the moment.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen

I took this same approach and I never had all the cards I wanted, and that was with lots of time spent over literally years.

No game that requires changing your lifestyle to play nearly daily has a masterful F2P model, in my opinion.

Watching Hearthstone is way better than playing it.

Cels

Unless they start messing with the gold price for packs.....

the rationale for this price adjust is the change in US currency value relative to the affected currencies. it's not a plain cash grab.

then again, has any company operating a free to play game gone the other way and decreased their prices in response to currency fluctuations?

wiibomb

To each their own, but I've tried the other f2p card games and can't get into them. I really enjoy hearthstone and would much rather have a free pack every 2 days from a game I love than multiple free packs per day from games that aren't for me.

then it is not generous, it is just good for you.

If you like it, it's ok, but the current economics of HS are in a desperately horrible situation, to get 1 pack each 2 days playing faithfully every day is just way too few taking into account there are 220 cards for 3 current expansions, those are about 680 cards, counting the classic set are about 450 cards, all of them combined are more than 1000 cards and I'm not even starting on the adventures which feature heavy hitters in deck building.

1 pack each 2 days really nothing when you see how much there is to get on all of these, and given that they are planning to release only expansions every 3-4 months, the economy just isn't adding up to collect half of those sets successfully.

this is one of the things HS has to get right or else everybody will just move to other games

Zafir

Your quote is saying the pound didn't get hit that much but it did. Both are based on currency value and work out the same.

You can be upset about the value of the Euro and Pound, I'm just pointing out nothing is untoward here.

Well no, because you're comparing it to Euros which has also historically had really bad conversion rates by Blizzard in comparison to US pricing.

That's what I'm getting at, but whatever.

Top Bottom