• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavily criticized games that you really enjoy

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This thread needs more games pre-2000 haha.

Okay, then I'll pick two. Cybermorph for the Jag. Launch game that, when you think about it, was actually pretty terrible but I still loved it.

27298-cybermorph-jaguar-screenshot-taking-heavy-fire-s.jpg

And Way of the Warrior for the 3DO. I put about 2 billion hours into this game. Loved it, despite the horrific controls and gameplay.

I really like Knack. Yeah, it was repetitive, the upgrade system was a mess, and it would have been much improved at half the length, but I had fun with the game on hard mode.

Wild Arms XF, Siren, and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter are all games that I consider to be some of the finest examples of their respective genres and they all got mediocre review scores.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

Loved the gritty camera, loved the third-person, loved the characters and situation. Honestly the best co-op experience I've had last-gen. I still enjoyed playing single player too, but co-op was amazing. The multiplayer was great as well.

I want a threequel so bad!

Same here.

The simplicity of the story and even the short campaign almost worked in its favor, imo. It starts and ends abruptly, it's dirty, and that's why it's a fun package.

I hadn't played the first one though, so I didn't know what to expect going in.

Mega Man Battle Network 4.

I love the battle system, the Soul Unisons and more importantly New Game+. Battle Network desperately needed New Game+. After spending the entire game, fighting every single boss in efficient time to get all the battle chips, you make your ultimate folder...and have nothing to do with it. Now with New Game+ I do.

BN5 had a much better battle system with Chaos Unisons added to the mix, but no New Game+ so gotta stick with BN4. Even though it's terrible.

Ninjimbo

Resident Evil 6 for me. Every thread has a swath of people calling it the worst in the series, an abominable game, etc but, man, I put 100+ hours into that game. I think it's one of the best TPSs around: the characters are all fun and different, the monsters are designed well, and the campaigns have their moments of greatness.

Great game.

Stuart444

Mega Man Battle Network 4.

I love the battle system, the Soul Unisons and more importantly New Game+. Battle Network desperately needed New Game+. After spending the entire game, fighting every single boss in efficient time to get all the battle chips, you make your ultimate folder...and have nothing to do with it. Now with New Game+ I do.

BN5 had a much better battle system with Chaos Unisons added to the mix, but no New Game+ so gotta stick with BN4. Even though it's terrible.

Oh, that's another one. MMBN4 was my first BN game and what got me into the series. I guess it being my first BN game is probably the reason the 'flaws' people mention about it don't bother me.

I wish they would reboot the BN games with LAN and that but alas... still a great series.

20140221102928!Mgs4us_cover_small.jpg

It's not panned by critics but a lot of fans hated it and even went to say it's bad game but I bought a PS3 to play it and I never regretted it, still one of the PS3's best games.

And the ending is not that bad.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Its way too easy, and there are a few too many clock puzzles, but I really enjoyed the game on the whole. The story, whilst still silly and convoluted doesn't distract too much thanks to Serah and Noel being likeable and well-voiced, and are well matched by a decent villain in Caius and an appealingly tragic Yeul.

Of all the XIII games for me, XIII-2 has the most "feel" of traditional FF - XIII is too stripped down and Lightning Returns is just different. Its a shame that this game is the one that seems to be hated on by people who liked and those that disliked XIII.

Lightning Returns I also found to be somewhat better than most gave it credit for being. Mechanically its genuinely an interesting if not completely successful experiment. The time-management aspect at its best adds an unexpected tension to the game (ultimate lair is a great boss dungeon), although ultimately it stalls the flow of the game once you get past the "hump" of completing sufficient quests to reach day #14.

The storyline is just a mess though, and can't really be salvaged by above average localization and voice acting. Tonally its even more schizophrenic than Toriyama's usual fare, but it gets kudos for me for having the most outrageously downbeat punchline to failing a quest I've ever come across (Hint: give Dolce the RED doll) - it actually outdoes Yoko Taro at his best/worst!

Sayter

The Wonderful 101.

I believe the majority of the criticisim of this game comes from people who have been spoon feed how a game should be played. A lot of gamers don't have the patience to master something they cannot grasp in the first five minutes. W101 wants the player to find out and experiment with different play styles and figure out the best way to beat certain enemies and bosses. It makes the satisfaction of when you do find out that much more sweet.

MrBadger

Sonic Heroes and Sonic Adventure (I know the latter still has a fanbase but the former is often referred to as the worst in the series. I think it's pretty decent but I agree with several criticisms like the multiple campaigns being the same, the shitty bosses and the later enemies having too much health)

Super Princess Peach (although the criticisms aren't do do with the gameplay. I don't think the game is really trying to make a statement and I liked the emotion powers and how you used them in the game)

New Super Mario Bros 2 (I agree that it goes way overboard with the rehashing but it's a great platformer, as to be expected of Mario, and the coin rush is very addicting)

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I always liked Fighting Force, though in truth I haven't played it in years.

I've also never heard anything good about Resident Evil 6, and I'm surprised about that because I'm having such a good time with it.

Alpha Protocol is another one. I had a lot of fun with it.

Duallusion

Dragon Age 2
Dead Space 3
Mass Effect 3
EDF: Insect Armageddon
Kingdoms of Amalur
Supreme Commander 2

...to name just a few.

Devil May Cry 2
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Warriors Musou
Star Ocean 3 & 4
Infinite Undiscovery
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
The 3rd Birthday
Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Peace Walker
Dragon Age 2
Tales of Legendia
King of Fighters 2006
Magna Carta + 2
Ninety Nine Nights
MAG
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Unit 13
Korean/Chinese Online Games
Lots and lots of mid-tier games that lacked the polish of more expensive games.

Not going to list every single game but they are more.

jem0208

Halo 4.

I just think it's really fun. Nails that Halo feel. Sure it has a bunch of useless fluff on top but the basic game is fantastic.

Shootmania.

Got massive amounts of criticism yet I absolutely love the game. Must have put at least 200 hours into it.

SugarDave

All three Mass Effect games. Hell, I have a long list of criticisms myself, I could probably write an essay on just those. Some of the first phrases that pop into my head when I think of the name is "wasted potential" or "missed opportunity". Even still, I'm completely in love with the series and none of its many shortcomings has stopped from being a complete whore with all of the useless tat I've bought revolving around it.

Dyna

Hmm, well I guess the Saw game counts, it got a lot of mediocre reviews and it really wasn't anything to write home about, but even though I hate the Saw movies, I really enjoyed playing the game. It was quite clunky and it wasn't too long, but I enjoyed getting the complete 1000 gamerscore out of it. Never played the second game though.

Skyward Sword is up there with Wind Waker and LttP in my top tier of Zelda games, though I might change my mind if I give it a second pass just in case it turns out to be like Twilight Princess, which wowed me the first time through but was more conspicuously flawed once I returned to it. It might not be the best answer, though, because Skyward isn't really widely loathed by any means; it was praised to the heavens on release and right now it's going through the "Zelda cycle" hazing that every game does until the next one comes out. And I was never on board with any of the detractors of the motion controls.

My answer to this may actually be Bravely Default. I can understand why a lot of people are sour about where the game goes after thirty hours or so, but I found the job combinations and battle system so engrossing that none of this mattered to me, and I was only too happy to see the game leave enough breathing room for me to experiment with new strategies against the later optional bosses. The criticism of it is fair, but was so, so far from wrecking the experience for me that Bravely D remains in serious contention to be my favourite new release of 2014.

The one game that I think is genuinely despised out of all reasonable proportion is Other M, but that isn't to say I loved it; I merely enjoyed it enough to run it through to 100% without feeling like I'd wasted my time, and after that I put it away. (And I would almost tempted to say the same of Paper Mario: Sticker Star, but by the end the "inventory check" boss design in that game put me off, and I never did finish it despite getting very close. Meanwhile, Super Paper Mario is definitely underrated, but not exactly hated either.)

NES Remix has opened my eyes to the glory that is Clu Clu Land.

Cross Edge and The Last Remnant come to mind. As horrible as the story was in Cross Edge I absolutely loved the combat and gear and skill crafting/upgrading. I ended up putting nearly 70 hours into on those elements alone. The Last Remnant had a lot of unique elements that made it interesting to go back and explore old areas.

Kssio_Aug

Knack

I will even go far enough to say that this game was the best one I played this gen until now (and I played plenty). I had real fun with this game and a very nice dose of challange while making my 1st playthrough on hard. After that I still wanted more and decided to get its platina trophy and finish at very hard with diamond Knack (what was indeed less difficult then hard with normal Knack).

I hope that they release Knack 2 on the future, I would buy it day 1!

Amazing game! People really should stop looking down to it, and try it out if they like some adventure / beat'n up stuff!

For me it would be borderlands 2 too, my favourite game of last gen and I really can't mention it in some places without getting slaughtered for liking it.

• Alpha Protocol. Really enjoyed it, though a bit clunky.
  • Dead Island : Was generally derided by some/many website reviewers, but it really felt that it was on the right path for zombie games...and a lot of fun even with cheesy dialogue.
  • Mafia 2: Loved this game, and some of the reviews it got were truly shocking (4/10.. no way).

Razzer

Jak 2 for me. I know a lot of people hate the game, and on an objective level I can acknowledge it has some heavy flaws. But a number of the jokes made me laugh, I like the platforming and the shooting controls, and I just generally enjoy my time with it.

Lernaean

Banned
Wonderful 101 : Yea, it's you.
Kid Icarus Upriring : No way you could have better precision using right stick without aim assist. Once you get used to them, controls are perfect and the game is one of the top5 on 3DS.
Resident Evil 6 : Capcom proves that they still can make games where gameplay is king. RE6 is not RE5, it's Vanquish.
MGS4 : As awesome as any Kojima MGS, never understood the hate.

AHA-Lambda

Deus Ex: IW - It's a good game that has a tremendous shadow over it, but it is still a good game. Hell it's got more depth than some popular RPGs released nowadays.

Deus Ex: The Fall - Ok, I do love Deus Ex here, clearly. But I went in to this expecting the worst and tbh it's not that bad. I'm not saying it's good but certainly at least average. If you can get over the poor production values and the fact that the controls and interface are clearly intended for a touchscreen then it's a pretty decent bite sized Deus Ex experience.

Calibus

Dark Souls 2 -- easily on par with the first game IMO

Metal Gear Solid 4 -- Loved it from start to finish; felt just like a MGS game and fit with the rest of the series

Uncharted 3 -- I personally liked the more personal focus the game took on the characters. Easily on par with 2.

Killzone Shadow Fall -- I love Killzone, Shadow Fall was more Killzone, win/win

Mass Effect 3 -- While I can understand (albeit not agree with) the hate from Vanilla ME3, the Extended Cut + Leviathan DLC really turned it around.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
As a starfox fanboy, I really like assault and to a lesser extent adventures and feel like those games went through or still is rather going through what rabbid metroid fanboys are doing with other M and exaggerating EVERYTHING

Recently, I liked Watch Dogs. It wasn't amazing but it was fun while it lasted. There was a lot of stuff to do as well.

Assassin's Creed is another series that gets hate that I still enjoy, if only for the alternate history stuff.

I'll agree that Dead Space 3 doesn't live up to the first two, but I still played it a ton and enjoyed it. Weapon crafting was awesome and the co-op was fun.

120v

Bioshock Infinite is probably among my top 3 games of all time

that said i kind of understand the hate it got. when i first finished it i was like "that's it?" but on following playthroughs i stopped to smell the roses and saw how beautiful of a game it really is. people hate on the gunplay but i find it swashbuckling and suspensful (on the harder modes, at least) ... i think it's one of those games that will have a devout cult following 10-15 years from down the line, mainly from a younger audience who didn't have to go through the delays and "misleading" trailers.

to play devil's advocate, you can tell there was one point in development where Irrational was like "okay, we're in over our head here" and they just went ahead and streamlined most of the ideas they had, so the game does feel a little "abbreviated"... but still it's a masterpiece of gaming IMO. and it's a shame Irrational won't get another whirl with the next gen sequel

Silent Hill Downpour. it wasn't the best, but I thought it held up pretty nice, the story and main character weren't that bad either. I don't know if it got a lot of hate on here though.

JoJoSono

Banned
Final Fantasy XIII-Really fun battle system with a story that has a few interesting premises and themes going on. Also probably the most un-annoying cast in a jrpg. I enjoyed the game. The sequels on the other hand....

Resident Evil 5-It's not good. The co-op kind of sucks. The boss battles are pretty bad, but I've played this game a lot for some reason.

Denis.Samael

Neo Member
Despite it's obvious flaws and controversy story about previous one it's pure genious. Game of incredible style and atmosphere. Easy one of the best Steam sale purcahses of all time.
Kane_Lynch_Dog_Days_11.jpg

Top Bottom