• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice PC performance thread

Nheco

I have two rigs at home: my main desktop, an i5 6600k with a RX 480 and a htpc with an Atlhon 5350 and a GT 1030.

This game runs waaay better on Nvidia hardware, as you can see on the benchmarks. I overclocked my rx480, because at stock speeds I was getting out of freesync range sometimes and as a result massive tearing was happening.

Also, @720, 30Hz, I was able to run it consistently on my htpc on a medium high settings mix, with gpu power to spare. To bad if bump up resolution to 900p or above my atlhon wasn't able to keep up the pace with the gt 1030. Nonetheless, the game still beautiful, and my poor Atlhon almost screams in pain with all 4 cores @100% most of time.

wege12

For some reason I can only get 25 fps at 1080p and high settings using a Fury X. I can't seem to figure out the issue. Any ideas?

So I'm assuming a 1060 6GB + I7 7700HQ@3.8Ghz should be fine in running this at 1080p/60? Just wanna know whether to buy it on PS4 now and deal with 900p or wait a month or two to buy it on the gaming laptop I'm getting.

As long as the laptop model you are getting is not known to thermal throttle, I think you can hit that target if you lower a setting or two. It's a very demanding game according to this thread.

Momentary

Banned
The game is starting to crash my entire system after a few minutes it's a of gameplay. Anyone else experiencing this? I've ran multiple stress tests as well as other UE4 games to see if it's my hardware. It doesn't seem to be the case.

Hoover1979

Neo Member
The latest Nvidia Display drivers that Nvidia started nagging me to install make this game unplayable. after 5-10 mins of gameplay, the screen goes black for a few seconds, then back to the desktop with that all to familiar message from the bottom-right of the taskbar:

"Nvidia Display Drivers stopped responding, and have been Recovered"

This is quickly followed by an UE4 crash screen. The problem is the drivers do not recover and to run anything that uses a GPU my rig needs to be restarted. I can't even access the Nvidia Control panel and my Gigabyte diagnostics say 0 for everything (0 clock speed, 0 memory speed, 0 degrees GPU temp, 0v power usege, etc) so I have to do a full restart.

This is becoming the norm with Nvidia as they eclipse AMD for crappy drivers. What's the point spending all those big bucks on a GTX1080 when the drivers are so poor they crash within minutes of playing a game. Disgraceful! And worse yet, Nvidia never fix the problems from a bodgey driver, they just release a so-called "hotfix" that breaks more features too.

With my 6700HQ, 1070 laptop, I'm getting what seems like a locked 60fps, but frequent momentary hitches -- including audio dropouts -- that I guess might be streaming issues? I wouldn't think this linear game would need to be installed on the SSD, would it?

Zojirushi

The latest Nvidia Display drivers that Nvidia started nagging me to install make this game unplayable.

This sounds bad and thanks for the heads up but I'm pretty sure it has been a bad idea to install new Nvidia drivers unseen for a while now. Not sure what's wrong over there atm.

ISee

The latest Nvidia Display drivers that Nvidia started nagging me to install make this game unplayable. after 5-10 mins of gameplay, the screen goes black for a few seconds, then back to the desktop with that all to familiar message from the bottom-right of the taskbar:

"Nvidia Display Drivers stopped responding, and have been Recovered"

This is quickly followed by an UE4 crash screen. The problem is the drivers do not recover and to run anything that uses a GPU my rig needs to be restarted. I can't even access the Nvidia Control panel and my Gigabyte diagnostics say 0 for everything (0 clock speed, 0 memory speed, 0 degrees GPU temp, 0v power usege, etc) so I have to do a full restart.

This is becoming the norm with Nvidia as they eclipse AMD for crappy drivers. What's the point spending all those big bucks on a GTX1080 when the drivers are so poor they crash within minutes of playing a game. Disgraceful! And worse yet, Nvidia never fix the problems from a bodgey driver, they just release a so-called "hotfix" that breaks more features too.

Sounds more like an unstable overclock than driver issues. But I'll install them now to verify.

edit:
Installed newest nvidia drivers and played the game for 30 minutes. No crashing, no problems (game is still running in the background). Hellblade is a very demanding game (I even experienced some drops to the mid 50s at 1440p on a highly oced 1080) and a very good test for oc stability, especially at 4k (in my limited experience so far). Just dial back your OC a tiny bit or raise the power limit and voltage a bit (if possible) and you should be fine.

Hoover1979

Neo Member
I was running with stock core and mem clocks (I didn't even use the factory OC settings). However I did have the power set to +150% to draw in extra power if needed. I dialed that back to +0 (100%) and I was able to play for a while last night without a crash. I never touch the voltage because I don't want to fry an expensive GPU, as being Australian I payed $1,199.00AUD for my GTX1080 this year (and for Australia that was a great deal as at the time the Australian RRP was $1,579.00AUD, which was more than twice the price the US payed at the same time, after currency conversion was factored in). Aussies pay more than the rest of the world for everything! I'd hate to see how poor the drivers would handle an overclocked core and memory on this game!

However the issue may have been compounded by the GTX1080 being connected to much older CPU, RAM and Mobo (i7-4790k, 2,4Ghz DDR3 and ASUS Z97-k Mobo) although I have yet to see any evidence of bottlenecking from MSI AfterBurner.

I did have to get a brand new PSU after installing the GTX1080 as my 4-5 year old Antec 600w PSU wasn't up to the task and HDD's, my Blu-Ray drive and USB devices would randomly disconnect, so I bought a Corsair HX850i Platinum 850w PSU, so I believe my rig is drawing enough power to keep the GTX1080 going.

I play on a 1080p screen so the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming GTX1080 Waterforce performs better as the game isn't at 4k. I would expect an overclocked Titan XP or 1080ti for good 4k, (plus 3,2Ghz DDR4 and a 4.0Ghz kaby lake i7 too) . Although I don't think there are 4k screens that support higerh refreshes than 60Hz (and I know there aren't 4k screens above 4k in Australia yet).

I find the puzzles frustrating though which is a shame as I love the visuals, and my system has no issues running the game maxed out at 1080p (exept for the driver crash when the power was set to +150%, of course). I guess I'll have to get my smart phone on the charger connected to the wifi and have youtube up for those pesky puzzles.

I always had issues with UE4 games crashing when alt+tabbed even on my old GTX970, but with my GTX1080 borderless window has poor performance and exclusive fullscreen gives better performance (but some games crash more when alt+tabbing). On my old Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming, I always opted for borderles window if possible as I could multitask and the performance was better for some reason.

ISee

It's not the drivers and it has also nothing to do with your i7, the mobo or the ram. I even doubt that nvidia changed anything in the newest drivers that has something to do with hellblade in the first place. It's also not your PSU, because your system would either shutdown or self restart if your PSU would suddenly stop supplying enough power to your GPU. If you're running the game unlocked and in borderless window mode chances are high for your GPU to run at full load all the time, while not being able to handle that kind of burden for an extended time. Crashing while tabbing out of a game is also a very good indication for instable clocks.

NeoRaider

Patch 1.01 released on Steam:

Today we’re happy to release a bug fixing patch for Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice that resolves a range of issues reported since launch. The patch includes fixes across potential progression stopping issues, audio, localisation, combat, gameplay and photo mode. In addition to bug fixes we have also made some small combat gameplay tweaks and added Russian subtitles to the Hellblade feature.

We are continuing to monitor reports of issues in Hellblade and will be working on additional fixes for future updates. In particular we are investigating performance issues that players with AMD GPUs are seeing and are working towards a fix as quickly as we can. Please send any bug reports to support@hellblade.com

We’ll keep you updated on new patch news and thanks for all of the support so far!

Full patch notes:

Patch 1.01 Release Notes

Summary: A bug fixing patch that addresses a range of bugs identified since launch. The patch fixes issues across general gameplay, combat, photo mode, localisation and audio. Notable issues resolved by the patch include:

Fixed a potential progression stopping bug in the Fenrir Cave by the ‘M’ rune door puzzle.
Fixed a potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave due to check pointing after skipping a lit region.
Fixed potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave if player fails to collect floor rune after combat and subsequently dies.
Fixed collision issues that could allow players to unintentionally exit the game world.
Various subtitle localisation fixes across a number of languages.
Fixed an issue where key bindings and run toggle were not being saved between game sessions on PC.
Fixed an issue where the menu would not load on start up on PC.

In addition to bug fixes, combat gameplay has been tweaked and Russian subtitles added to the Hellblade feature.

Full Patch Notes:

Fixed a crash that could happen if two Keep Guard enemies are standing close to each other and one dies.
Russian subtitles for the Hellblade feature have been added.
Fixed an issue where the audio would be out of sync with the Hellblade feature if it has been paused for an extended period of time.
Fixed an issue where the Baldr Masks in the Tower Shard level are white on the inside.
Fixed scenarios resulting in unlit geometry after reloading from checkpoint.
Fixed a potential progression stopping bug in the Fenrir Cave by the ‘M’ rune door puzzle.
Fixed potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave due to check pointing after skipping a lit region.
Fixed potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave if player fails to collect floor rune after combat and subsequently dies.
Fixed collision issues that could allow players to unintentionally exit the game world.
Fixed audio cut-out issues.
Added audio cues for hidden faces.
Fixed audio hard cut at the end of various cut scenes.
Fixes for audio lip sync issues.
Audio balancing fixes.
Various subtitle localisation fixes across a number of languages.

Combat tweaks:

Global
- Adjusted automatic difficulty enemy health scaling and Senua’s damage taken/given modifiers.

Senua
- Increased damage value of certain combo finisher attacks.
- Adjusted rate of combat focus resource build-up in Hard difficulty mode or higher.
- Fixed issue with stinger animated cameras popping if the same attack was repeated.

Warrior Enemy
- Warriors now have an increased chance of evading certain heavy attacks.
- Fixed missing sound effects on certain reactions.

Protector Enemy
- Health values have been lowered.
- Will now remain vulnerable for longer after his shield guard has been broken.

Keep Guard Enemy
- Fixed a potential crash bug if Keep Guard enemies are standing close together and one of them dies.
- Tweaked rotation rate during certain attack windups.
- Fixed missing sound effects on certain attacks.

Surtr
- Fixed an issue where Surtr was able to throw Senua outside of the arena.

Valravn
- Fixed an issue where Valravn could not be damaged while in Focus for certain combos.
- Parried projectiles will now remove shadow state on hit.

Fenrir
- Health values have been adjusted.
- Fixed issue where certain attack were not dealing damage correctly to Fenrir.

Revenant Enemy
- Adjusted slide properties for certain attacks.
- Adjusted cooldown for parry and evade defensive actions.
- Parried projectiles will now remove shadow state on hit.

Photo Mode
- Fixed an issue where motion blur is applied to object incorrectly during Photo Mode.
- Removed the second slider that did nothing when cycling through the Effects tab.

PC Only fixes

Fixed an issue where altering master volume would cause no audio to be played during the intro.
Fixed the lack of vibration with the Steam Controller for the Blindness level
Fixed an issue where key bindings and run toggle were not being saved between game sessions
Fixed an issue where looking around with the mouse during the boat intro was not working.
Fixed an issue where Focus was not able to be assigned to another key.
Fixed an issue where tabbing out during cut scenes would cause audio to go out of sync.
Fixed an issue where the menu would not load on start up.

Momentary

Banned
Fullscreen resolution issue still exists. I'm guessing my game will crash here shortly as well.

Edit: Game hasn't crashed yet. This is a pretty good sign.

Edit: Finally had the game crash which ended up crashing the rig, but it didn't happen for about 2 hours

NeoRaider

40ycpZ8.png

thegh0sts

Neo Member
Getting this error when loading the game. I can't even close the pop up window.

ifRMliy.jpg

Not sure what to do.

Fatal error!

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0x15e7ff70

0x0000000015E7FF70
proxydx10_x64_Release.dll!0x0000000050D31CEA
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032EEDF13
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032EEDEA1
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032EF5662
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032FCF8E6
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032FCD753
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x00000000336770CF
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x00000000336792AA
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032A41EFA
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032A41FF0
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032FE1FA6
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032FE2038
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032B36427
HellbladeGame-Win64-Shipping.exe!0x0000000032B33224
KERNEL32.DLL!0x000000005DEB2774
ntdll.dll!0x0000000060290D51
ntdll.dll!0x0000000060290D51

Crash in runnable thread RenderThread 0

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Getting this error when loading the game. I can't even close the pop up window.

ifRMliy.jpg

Not sure what to do.

There are a few suggestions in this thread:

- Verify the game data
- Uninstall and reinstall Galaxy
- Run the game directly from the installation folder rather than through Galaxy
- Edit C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\HellbladeGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini and change PreferredFullscreenMode and LastConfirmedFullscreenMode to 1 so that the game launches in a borderless window

thegh0sts

Neo Member
There are a few suggestions in this thread:

- Verify the game data
- Uninstall and reinstall Galaxy
- Run the game directly from the installation folder rather than through Galaxy
- Edit C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\HellbladeGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini and change PreferredFullscreenMode and LastConfirmedFullscreenMode to 1 so that the game launches in a borderless window

OK, will try.

EDIT: running it without gog galaxy seems to be working but will have to keep an eye on that.

also getting random fps drops in some areas and hitching. I'm running it off an SSD.

EDIT 2: Running outside of gog galaxy doesn't help. it still shows the error albeit randomly.

Pjsprojects

Ok AMD user update,I have now progressed enough to notice some drops to 24fps for very short periods,mostly on the beach but not in any combat areas.I did notice the gpu gets throttled when those dips occurred,right down to 600mhz so at least that part must be bug.
Overall I get min 45fps & max 70fps on a R9-290X running drivers from February(new drivers have the 150/300mhz throttle bug).

The pic below shows the sort of load I get and currently I have finished all the tasks to get the fancy sword that is pulled from the tree.
So the question is have I progressed enough to see this massive AMD fps problem yet?

36666164105_a6f62ba4d7_o.png

Harlequin

Ok AMD user update,I have now progressed enough to notice some drops to 24fps for very short periods,mostly on the beach but not in any combat areas.I did notice the gpu gets throttled when those dips occurred,right down to 600mhz so at least that part must be bug.
Overall I get min 45fps & max 70fps on a R9-290X running drivers from February(new drivers have the 150/300mhz throttle bug).

The pic below shows the sort of load I get and currently
I have finished all the tasks to get the fancy sword that is pulled from the tree.
So the question is have I progressed enough to see this massive AMD fps problem yet?

You have.
It started when I first got to that beach area.
But you should probably put that in a spoiler tag.

ISee

OK, will try.

EDIT: running it without gog galaxy seems to be working but will have to keep an eye on that.

also getting random fps drops in some areas and hitching. I'm running it off an SSD.

EDIT 2: Running outside of gog galaxy doesn't help. it still shows the error albeit randomly.

Are you running a GPU overclock? I've noticed that Hellblade is very prone to crashing on overclocked GPUs, even if they are stable in every other game, benchmark and stresstest. My brother had a similar problem and he had to dial back his 1080Ti OC by a bit for Hellblade. The game also crashed once on my GTX 1080, so I tuned down my own OC from 2063 to 2050 and it is running flawlessly since then.

thegh0sts

Neo Member
Are you running a GPU overclock? I've noticed that Hellblade is very prone to crashing on overclocked GPUs, even if they are stable in every other game, benchmark and stresstest. My brother had a similar problem and he had to dial back his 1080Ti oc by a bit for Hellblade.

No, I'm running a 1070 notebook with a modified TDP (from the stock 115W to 150W). core and memory clocks are at stock for this one.

NeoRaider

So do we know what each of the Post Processing options adds/removes?

There is Low, Medium, High, Very High. Low looks cleanest to me. But it looks like it removes AO? Is AO included in Post Preocessing?

Can someone write what each of the PP levels is for?

thegh0sts

Neo Member
hmmm....can anyone change their resolution? it seems to be stuck to whatever the native screen resolution is.

I also think that GOG Galaxy is causing my fatal error on load.

Md Ray

hmmm....can anyone change their resolution? it seems to be stuck to whatever the native screen resolution is.

I also think that GOG Galaxy is causing my fatal error on load.

Have the same issue. 1080p monitor here, trying to downsample from, say, 1440p doesn't work. However, lower resolutions such as 900p and below work fine. Even DigitalFoundry ran into this issue.

JaseC

Have the same issue. 1080p monitor here, trying to downsample from, say, 1440p doesn't work. However, lower resolutions such as 900p and below work fine. Even DigitalFoundry ran into this issue.

*taps OP*

Tips and tricks:
Use a higher-than-native custom resolution: Set your desired resolution as your desktop resolution and change the in-game display mode to windowed fullscreen. (Credit to jim2point0.)

;)

thegh0sts

Neo Member
I wondering if the hitching is due to the engine streaming in content? There are also some random areas that will just drop in fps into the mig-50s.

In the DF video below, at 4:20 you can see it hitch during the final swing, but when i check my FPS counter (as it happens for me) the fps is dead on 60fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HFIsez-nYo

EDIT: ended up refunding it on GOG. Will wait for the refund to return before buying it on Steam.

ZOONAMI

Is there a 30fps lock I need to get rid of in this game? Vsync is off and it won't break 30fps with a 1060 laptop.

Nvm it was because I was running on battery and power plan was limiting gpu performance.

ISee

I wondering if the hitching is due to the engine streaming in content? There are also some random areas that will just drop in fps into the mig-50s.

In the DF video below, at 4:20 you can see it hitch during the final swing, but when i check my FPS counter (as it happens for me) the fps is dead on 60fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HFIsez-nYo

EDIT: ended up refunding it on GOG. Will wait for the refund to return before buying it on Steam.

Definitely streaming related. But it only occurred a couple for times...
And yes two areas dropped into the 50s for me (1440p - GTX 1080), but never during fights just two puzzle areas in certain locations. It wasn't smooth but tolerabel imo. Overall this wasn't a deal breaker for me, but you do you. BTW gog and steam versions are identical.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The video settings don't seem to make a difference between medium and very high, or it's only a handful of FPS difference, going to low is huge but I don't want to ruin the fantastic visuals. I'm guessing this game requires a beast CPU? My 3570k @ 4.3GHz might be holding me back here seeing as the visual settings don't change the frame rate much. I'm on a GTX 970 BTW.

JaseC

The video settings don't seem to make a difference between medium and very high, or it's only a handful of FPS difference, going to low is huge but I don't want to ruin the fantastic visuals. I'm guessing this game requires a beast CPU? My 3570k @ 4.3GHz might be holding me back here seeing as the visual settings don't change the frame rate much. I'm on a GTX 970 BTW.

It's actually doesn't demand much of CPUs at all. Even AMD's FX-6300 can (just barely) manage 60fps as per GameGPU's article, plus PS4 Pro players have access to a 1080p60 mode.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's actually doesn't demand much of CPUs at all. Even AMD's FX-6300 can (just barely) manage 60fps as per GameGPU's article, plus PS4 Pro players have access to a 1080p60 mode.

Strange, it's unusual that the lower presets aren't giving bigger bumps then, usually that's caused by a CPU bottleneck. I've only played the first 30 minutes but it dips under 60 often on medium preset with very high textures. I'll fiddle more tomorrow I guess but for now it's bed time.

strang

Neo Member
Not sure if anyone's still following this thread but I'm getting a weird graphical glitch during the rune scenes:

eSiqIY0.png

Anyone else seen this?

Top Bottom