• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me save my Plasma TV from Destiny HUD

Van Owen

Banned
I have the same thing on my ST30, but running a screen wipe in vivid mode usually makes it fade away completely, but I keep playing it so it comes back after long sessions. It shouldn't be permanent though, just might takes hours of screen wiping...

Mike Golf

OLEDS have better image quality than plasma

Nope, OLED is getting better but still in comparison to plasma it doesn't meet or exceed in the fields of price per performance and size, white balance, gamma accuracy, color accuracy, and even off axis viewing.

OP if I read you right your ST60 is fairly new, so although at this point it's a little late you have to ration your time on any content that has any huds or even pillar boxed or more commonly letter boxed content, such as films. Spend an hour or a little less on a game, then switch to some netflix for a half hour or so before going back to clear up the phosphors that were displaying that hud.

In your current predicament as others have said it's just going to take time for this image retention to fade. I had to comepletely stop playing MGS4 MGO on my Samsung 59PND8000 to get the match timer and team score off the top center of my tv and that took several months to a year to accomplish. Otherwise just keep enjoying those inky blacks and fast phosphor response times, love my plasma and it's so sad to see them not being manufactured any more.

Majanew

Banned
This is one of the reasons I avoid Plasmas, after owning one.

Isn't this a problem with the vast majority of games? I can't think of any that let you fade or move the HUD. On console.

GTAV and AC Unity are two recently released games that let you turn the HUD completely off on PS4/XB1.

Z_Y

My daughters wrecked my Samsung with Minecraft. I game on it and two other plasmas. Makes me scared but I'm so ADD with games that I rarely play anything long enough for it to be a problem.

The thing with burn in is that it is not noticeable unless there is a blank white image. But I know its there..... It consumes me.

Dinosur

The 50 series of Panasonics was notorious for IR for some reason. But it'll be IR not burn-in. I assume you haven't been doing anything stupid like gaming in THX mode?

What's wrong with THX Cinema mode? It's the best looking and it doesn't have any of the options set crazy high.

Destiny doesn't even have individual audio level settings let alone ui options. It's pathetic

Edit: I have a Panasonic ST50, Destiny gave me image retention, but as I haven't played it for almost a month, it's no longer a problem. Just another reason not to go back to it.

What's wrong with THX Cinema mode? It's the best looking and it doesn't have any of the options set crazy high.

On the 50 Series, it's the absolute worst mode for IR, and also has the lack of pixel orbiter. The panel is driven differently in THX mode and the input lag is also increased compared to Game mode.. Also just turn the 'crazy high' options down in Game mode.

The great thing about the 60/65 Series is you can set any picture mode to game mode, it isn't a separate picture mode.

Peltz

This is why never went plasma. The price-hike, the slightly better picture, not worth it if I have to stare at a HUD from my videogame while watching TV.

In all fairness, plasmas are FAR cheaper than sets with comparable image quality utilizing other types of technology. Until Panasonic got out of the plasma game, they were probably the best entry level sets with regard to getting high IQ at a low price-point.

My solution for this is to go into the menu every couple of hours and reset the screen boundaries in the game from minimum to maximum and vice versa.
It only affects the HUD and will move it several inches between positions.
That should keep the HUD from staying on your screen after you're done playing.
This right here is what's gonna save you. Along with a respectable contrast level (I have mine at 60). I move mine around every 30-45 minutes though. I have an ST60 with 3500+hours and still get image retention quick. Luckily it goes away just as quick. Played Diablo 3 the other day for a little over an hour. Noticed the IR, ran screen wipe, IR gone in less than 5 minutes. Hundreds of hours on Destiny (sadly) and same thing. Just move your screen bounds around so it doesn't keep it in the same spot and whatever IR you do get will go away much quicker than before.

Occam

Never listen to the plasma defense force

That's the main message of this thread. There's a reason why Plasma is going away. (Burn-in, 3-4x the power requirements of LCD).

By the way, modern IPS panels are quite excellent. Excellent colors, very good viewing angle and contrast. Response time is getting there. LCD has come a long way.

Peltz

Nope, OLED is getting better but still in comparison to plasma it doesn't meet or exceed in the fields of price per performance and size, white balance, gamma accuracy, color accuracy, and even off axis viewing.

OP if I read you right your ST60 is fairly new, so although at this point it's a little late you have to ration your time on any content that has any huds or even pillar boxed or more commonly letter boxed content, such as films. Spend an hour or a little less on a game, then switch to some netflix for a half hour or so before going back to clear up the phosphors that were displaying that hud.

In your current predicament as others have said it's just going to take time for this image retention to fade. I had to comepletely stop playing MGS4 MGO on my Samsung 59PND8000 to get the match timer and team score off the top center of my tv and that took several months to a year to accomplish. Otherwise just keep enjoying those inky blacks and fast phosphor response times, love my plasma and it's so sad to see them not being manufactured any more.

I feel like the insane contrast ratio of OLED still makes it better than any other tech in spite of all of what you just said.

Withnail

I feel your pain OP, I've got the Binding of Isaac Rebirth burned into my GT50. Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

(Actually it's not burn in, just IR, and it seems to be fading now.)

Foolishly I thought that after having the set for over a year without a hint of IR that I could crank the contrast up a bit. Silly me. It's back down to 'normal' levels now.

Still a beautiful panel though. Blu-ray movies can be breathtaking.

Dinosur

On the 50 Series, it's the absolute worst mode for IR, and also has the lack of pixel orbiter. The panel is driven differently in THX mode and the input lag is also increased compared to Game mode.. Also just turn the 'crazy high' options down in Game mode.

The great thing about the 60/65 Series is you can set any picture mode to game mode, it isn't a separate picture mode.

Yeah, I have a 60 and just run THX in game mode. Like you said, you lose the pixel orbiter but I've never really been convinced that would help much.

If you have a 20px yellow bar, and it shifts it 5px, you still have 15px that are always going to be yellow. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the concept.

Peltz

That's the main message of this thread. There's a reason why Plasma is going away. (Burn-in, 3-4x the power requirements of LCD).

By the way, modern IPS panels are quite excellent. Excellent colors, very good viewing angle and contrast. Response time is getting there. LCD has come a long way.

They still look ugly though to my eyes, especially for sports that heavily pan the camera like football and hockey.

Vark

Yep. I have the same issue on my ZT60. Giant pistol image stuck in the left corner.

Most IR goes away in a few minutes but a bright white static graphic is too much. The other culprit is Fox on Hulu. Full white zero transparency logo overlayed on every single episode they have for the entirety of the program.

It's just frustrating. There's a reason all broadcast logos are semi transparent and or fade out.

It'll fade eventually you'll just have to work at it.

The new plasma is definitely more prone to IR than my old 2007 model but it's also the most beautiful image I've ever seen. Soooo I've learned to love with its quirks.

I am a stubborn plasma user for more than a decade and aware of all potential problems and cures
I will try the solution with the HUD-safe zones, but having an option to get transparent (and movable) HUD would be truly groundbreaking.
The HUD is moveable, as you've acknowledged. Change the screen bounds under settings every day or two. This has saved my Kuro Elite, without a doubt.

duessano

There's no TV on the market right now that performs better than the VT60/ZT60 series, so..

Says you. Lots of tv's with better features out there. Cheaper.

It seems video game designers go for lcds. I won't get a plasma because they require too much care.

GT50 owner here, and I had exactly the same thing. Destiny is the only game to produce long-lasting IR on my set thus far, but thankfully it's just disappeared in the last week or so. I played for 100+ hours over the course of a couple of weeks, so no surprise it happened really.

It took about a month to get rid of, and I didn't do anything specific other than occasionally running the screen wipe for 20 minutes and just watching/playing other content. I'm not convinced by the pixel flippers to be honest.

Keep the faith, it'll go! The image quality is worth the occasional bump in the road, imo.

OLEDS have better image quality than plasma

Objectively: OLED TVs have even better black levels (not that plasma isn't already great in this area), they have better black filters for daytime viewing, they have lower power consumption, but they have terrible motion resolution compared to plasma and much higher input lag.

Subjectively: Their picture isn't as organic as plasma and CRT type technologies - but this is a bit like the vinyl vs CD debate so probably not worth arguing here :)

DOWN

Banned
This thread has convinced me that avoiding plasma was a great choice, and the market agrees.

Plasma TV owners never shut up about how awesome Plasma TVs are. You bring up all the negatives about Plasma TVs like you need a dark room and burn in and they just respond with "true blacks". Why do I care how black my black is?

Vark

This would drive me crazy.

Enough reason never to buy a plasma TV.

It's definitely not for everyone, but IR is occasional and avoidable. Bad picture is permanent. Hopefully in the future we won't have to choose.

cilonen

Question for VT60 owners, while I've got you. Along with my IR for Destiny and Xbox One, there's three or four narrow vertical bars on the right side of the screen that have the same appearance as IR (i.e. slightly dimmer than rest of image). What are these?

Probably from watching 4:3 or 14:9 content. Anything that has black bars at the side of the screen.

GlamFM

Banned
It´s IR not burn in.

I have the same "problem" on my plasma.

Just put something else on, like a bright cartoon or something, and leave it running over 2 nights.

It's probably not as bad as most folks are imagining. Although the HUD was on my set for a while, it was only ever viewable when you had a block of pastel-shaded colour in the bottom-left corner of the screen, which is hardly ever in terms of movies or TV.

I'd maybe notice it a couple of times a week, and only then for a second or two.

Vark

It's probably not as bad as most folks are imagining. Although the HUD was on my set for a while, it was only ever viewable when you had a block of pastel-shaded colour in the bottom-left corner of the screen, which is hardly ever in terms of movies or TV.

I'd maybe notice it a couple of times a week, and only then for a second or two.

Yea it's there if you're being super anal and looking for it, or if you're watching something like Bob's Burgers that has large areas of solid color in the same area for several seconds.

b0bbyJ03

oh shit! i had the same problem. I stopped playing Destiny cause of it... sorry but my tv is way more important. never had this issue with any other game either (Panny ST50 here)

psychotron

Plasma offers the best picture out there, period. No LED or LCD has ever been able to best the top tier plasma displays. They're getting better for sure, but uniformity and off angle viewing with always be an issue. It was great watching CNET reviews where David K would review a brand new LED tv and still say in the review that people should hunt down a Kuro if they can find one, lol.

I was tempted to switch from my ST50 to a new Vizo P-Series, because it apparently had a large number of dimming zones and 4K resolution, but apparently it's not quite there either from the reviews I've seen.

As far as caring for your set, it can be a pain in the ass, but I've never ruined a plasma. As time has gone on, I never see retention on my 60" ST50, but I have in the past. The Disney Pixel Flipper Blu-Ray is a great tool. The built in Pixel Shift on tv's does nothing but cause a smeared retained image.

GlamFM

Banned
oh shit! i had the same problem. I stopped playing Destiny cause of it... sorry but my tv is way more important. never had this issue with any other game either (Panny ST50 here)

It´s IR, not burn in. Relax, your TV will be fine.

I have an ST60 but I don't game one it for more than an hour at a time maximum. Also anytime the tv is on and I have to pause, I put the white scrolling bar on. I really avoid having anything static on the screen for too long if I can help it.

A lot of people wouldn't put up with that but honestly I bought the TV this year and out of many others that I saw the only one that looked better that wasnt another plasma was a 15000 dollar LG Oled TV.

Plasma TV owners never shut up about how awesome Plasma TVs are. You bring up all the negatives about Plasma TVs like you need a dark room and burn in and they just respond with "true blacks". Why do I care how black my black is?

Real answer is: "black uniformity" unless you like light patches on your screen.

Anyway, I have a 2012 ut50 and I've been playing on it with no care since new and never had problems with pixel orbiter activated. First time I turned it off, I got ir after about 5/6 hours of DKC Tropical Freeze.

cilonen

3NPHxjm.png

I feel your pain. Panny S60.

This was after 120-140 hours of Destiny after the first couple of weeks. Haven't touched the game since. Screen wipe was left on for a few days, did a few days of pixel flipper from the Disney WoW disc, and even ran my break-in slideshow for a few days.

After all of that, it has faded slightly (I adjusted the contrast on this picture to make it more apparent). That being said, I'd be shocked if this isn't permanent. I've put in countless hours with other games with absolutely no problem. But then...Destiny.

You'll be OK. That's how mine was at the point I noticed it with Destiny. It does go. I've had to stop playing Destiny on it though.

I ran the WOW pixel flipper over a weekend (if you do this on a console remember to turn off power saving so it doesn't shut off after 3 hours or so) and scrolling bar overnight a couple of times to reduce it initially, since then I've just been watching TV and playing HUD-less GTAV on it and it's good as new now, two months later.

Edit: sorry, Panny VT55 here.

Edit 2: oh, I forgot, I ran the pixel flipper at max brightness & contrast too.

theRizzle

For me personally, I found running something like a bluray to be far superior at getting rid of IR than the screen wiper on my ST50. Plus it's way better to look at.

As an aside, I miss my Plasma SO much. I had to move really far away for work and although I could have brought the TV with me since my employer paid to relocate me, I didn't have the box and was super paranoid that it was going to get broken. I bought a Samsung LED for about the same price and it's not even close to as good of a picture.

b0bbyJ03

this is the dumbest shit I've heard. ever... everything has its pros an cons... what if i said "PC owners never shut up about how awesome PCs are. you bring up all the negatives about PC like you need to tweak settings to get best performance. why do i care about how good my performance is?"

iMax

Says you. Lots of tv's with better features out there. Cheaper.

It seems video game designers go for lcds. I won't get a plasma because they require too much care.

Key word is 'performs'.

And the reason game designers go for LCDs is simply because most of their audience uses them too, so they're designing for them.

iMax

How do I know if it's burn-in or really, really persistent IR? Is it a different colour or something?

kevm3

Plasmas offer the better performance for price because it is a much more mature technology, and one that is becoming obsolete on the market, so you could have grabbed an excellent set like the samsung 8500 series for 1000 bucks.j Right now it's $1500.

In terms of pure performance, plasma has better motion resolution, but OLED has better blacks (pure black), brighter whites, less wash-out in daytime viewing, comparable viewing angles, a sharper image, no dithering, just as accurate colors. OLED still suffers from possible image retention. OLED has the benefit of being thinner, lighter and using much less power as well.

The cheapest the LG 9300 could have been purchased at is $3000, but is selling for $3500. Supposedly the LG 9800 was on sale for $2200 at Microcenter at a time. Is OLED right now worth the 2 to 3 times price increase over plasma? Probably not... I'd just wait for a couple of years for the technology to mature and the prices to come down.

If someone can handle possible image retention and having to 'baby' the set, I'd recommend plasma, especially given the price you could get some of the sets for. If you're doing a lot of gaming or using your set as a monitor, I recommend LCD. If you're content with waiting a year or two before upgrading sets, OLED is the way.

cilonen

How do I know if it's burn-in or really, really persistent IR? Is it a different colour or something?

Burn in is really nasty and leaves permanent discolouration / color casts.

I can't seem to find the image to directly link, but google image search 'plasma burn in' and look for the picture of the ice skater. That shows it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Buy a proper TV.

Hah, sorry man, my sympathies, I used to think they were cool, back in the CRT days.
Seriously though, that tech is getting on a bit now, they won't last, with or without Destiny's HUD.

Isn't this a problem with the vast majority of games? I can't think of any that let you fade or move the HUD. On console.
The only proper TVs on the market today are those OLED models. LCDs? Terrible.

TMC

I had the same problem on my ST50. It looks like its pretty much completely gone, but it took nearly 2 months of other content playing on my set. I now play Destiny on my LCD PC monitor. Its that yellow part of the HUD on the bottom left along with the white color for the gun. Its always the bright colors. It will eventually go away, but I refuse to do any more gaming with Destiny on my plasma.

Really wish it had opacity settings like DriveClub. Wish I could even turn the HUD off completely.

LoveCake

I have not had a issue on my LG Plasma, unless your TV is a old one than the burn should not be a issue, how long are you playing for at a time though because to cause a issue you must be playing for six plus hours straight!

CoG

Panny ST60 here. It's really cut into my gaming lifestyle. I don't want to get a LED because the picture is just so much better than any LED I've seen and no light leak, etc.

Thinking of getting a PC monitor for gaming at this point.

Top Bottom