• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me with my network, please!

Jesb

I’m having some terrible connection speeds on my network and I don’t know what the issue is. My download speed is over 1100 mbps. But steam gives me like 5-30 mbps. And it’s even worse on the PlayStation. Also for some reason on steam it says under the internet tap that I’m offline and no internet detected. But it loads the store fine and I can download but at terrible speeds.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Dog Help GIF

Jesb

No it’s connected via wifi with a dlink adapter. AC1300. My PlayStation is also wifi.

Jesb

Try a different Wi-Fi channel to start. There are a lot of troubleshooting layers to networking, especially with Wi-Fi. I'd say that D-Link is probably the issue.
But it’s even worse on the PlayStation though. I tried to split frequencies on my modem but that just caused my internet connection to constantly disconnect.

Quasicat

It may be a pain, but one thing that helps me when dealing with Wi-Fi troubleshooting is to hook my console up , temporarily, directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable. This way I can see it directly from the source. I’m not sure about PS4/PS5, but I’m sure it has a way to test your internet and tell you the speeds…even the PS3 could do that. This way you can see if it is your connection or your router. If the speeds are bad at the modem, then you know you need to call your isp, if those speeds are good, you need to replace the D-link. Good luck!

Jesb

It may be a pain, but one thing that helps me when dealing with Wi-Fi troubleshooting is to hook my console up , temporarily, directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable. This way I can see it directly from the source. I’m not sure about PS4/PS5, but I’m sure it has a way to test your internet and tell you the speeds…even the PS3 could do that. This way you can see if it is your connection or your router. If the speeds are bad at the modem, then you know you need to call your isp, if those speeds are good, you need to replace the D-link. Good luck!
You guys are mentioning the dlink adapter but the PS4 also has terrible speeds Even worse than steam. I just talked to my isp and they have these wifi pods that plug into an outlet they sell and are convinced it will fix the issue. Gonna give them a try and see how that goes.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You guys are mentioning the dlink adapter but the PS4 also has terrible speeds Even worse than steam. I just talked to my isp and they have these wifi pods that plug into an outlet they sell and are convinced it will fix the issue. Gonna give them a try and see how that goes.

PlayStation download speeds have always been atrocious compared to everyone else; this has been true for myself and every one of my friends. I would not use PlayStation download speeds as proof of anything as Sony's network itself is lacking.

The first step you should take is to hardwire your PC and re-test the speeds. If the speed greatly improves, then that's Wi-Fi being Wi-Fi. Also, those Wi-Fi pods are likely going to be a waste of money. Those sound like range extenders, and that is likely not your issue.

As a side note, Steam measures speeds in Megabytes per second, not Megabits per second. You should see speeds at around 125 MB/s on Steam if it's using the majority of your bandwidth.

Last edited:

reektann

As many have said - get a very long Ethernet cable just to test - if it’s much faster wired (spoiler: it will be) then at least you know it’s your wireless setup and not the connection.

Kings Field

If you have Xfinity it might be your router. A few years ago mine shit the bed and they were bullshitting me with every excuse until I forced them to give me a new router and that fixed the issue.

I’ve been a. Customer of comcast/Xfinity and praise them for being consistent and never having any other issues besides that one time in close to 20 years but they’re stingy fucks when it comes to replacing equipment

Topher

Gold Member
PlayStation download speeds have always been atrocious compared to everyone else; this has been true for myself and every one of my friends. I would not use PlayStation download speeds as proof of anything as Sony's network itself is lacking.

The first step you should take is to hardwire your PC and re-test the speeds. If the speed greatly improves, then that's Wi-Fi being Wi-Fi. Also, those Wi-Fi pods are likely going to be a waste of money. Those sound like range extenders, and that is likely not your issue.

As a side note, Steam measures speeds in Megabytes per second, not Megabits per second. You should see speeds at around 125 MB/s on Steam if it's using the majority of your bandwidth.

Exactly what I was going to say, Jesb Jesb . Don't use PS5 as a reference for download speed. IFireflyl IFireflyl is giving you good troubleshooting advice right there. I'd follow it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

That depends very much on where you are located. I get pretty good speeds from PSN. It doesn't quite max out my 100 Mbps connection, but I get like 10 MB/s (so like 80 Mbps).

Top Bottom