• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help: Short but good/great jRPG?

Camjo-Z

Guadia Quest in Retro Game Challenge for DS. Sure, you have to play through most of the other games first to unlock it, but you'll want to do that anyway cuz ROBOT NINJA HAGGLEMAN IS AWESOME IN ALL ITS FORMS

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Lunar Legend for GBA is like 12-14 hours max while Lunar SSSC as mentioned is closer to 25 hours. If ya want Lunar on the quick go with the GBA remake of the remake! Not as high quality an lacks fancy cutscenes & voice acting, but it looks nice and is fun. Even got random encounters unlike SSSC, position on the battle screen don't matter either so its even more traditional jrpg feeling!

maybe shining force or albert odyssey?
Albert odyssey
Why would you two wanna inflict AO's medicority on others -.-? Doesn't fall into the good/great categories imo. It is a sub-20 hour long game however.

This thread really highlights how there's a distinct lack of great under 10 hour JRPGs when even the "short" games are generally in the 15-25 hour range.
Yeah outta all the ones I played this year and didn't speed/ng+ through there's been Parasite Eve and...... nothing else.

If you're going to recommend a rare and morbidly expensive game, why not take one that's actually good, like Panzer Dragoon Saga :p
Glad another person here knows whats up!

sn00zer

I was not aware their were other short JRPGs besides Stick of Truth..... length is my biggest gripe with JRPGs so this thread has my interest.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
1. Suikoden 1 PSone (20-25 hours) - Available on PSN
2. I Am Setsuna (20 hours) - General impressions it feels like a Square JRPG in he 90s - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1186070
3. Dragon Quest 1 and 2 (both are less than 20 hours) - Available on iPhone

Fou-Lu

Shining Force 1 and 2 - My favorite SRPGs, and they are definitely JRPGs too, make no mistake. Overworlds to explore, evil villains to be fought, worlds to be saved!
The first Breath of Fire - Some might find it tedious with its encounter rate, but it's still a very fun game, and a good introduction to a marvelous series.
Shadow Hearts 1 - One of the best PS2 RPGs I've played, apparently the sequel is better, but I've only just started it! Dark, humourous and great fun.
Phantasy Star IV - Underappreciated Genesis RPG. It was way ahead of its time!
Terranigma - I know, I know, no action, but seriously one of the most underappreciated games of all time
Okage Shadow King - Quirky, whimsical and very fun. It's quick to play through and keeps you entertained the whole way. The art style is such a treat.
Radiant Historia - Probably a bit longer than the other games on the list, but if you like time travel shenanigans it is worth giving an honest try.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
gg4y1Jw.jpg

Albert odyssey
These sprites and art style have my utmost attention

ZoronMaro

Barkley Shut up and Jam is amazing AND free, great dadaist humor.

Helen's Mysterious Castle was a cute and fun 8 hour romp well worth the admission ($2).

People should recommend more RPG Maker games, those are the only turn based ones I've played, but I know there's way more.

If you liked Chrono Trigger and fancy an additional 2- or 3-hour quest starring Magus, you could try Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile which I directed back in 2007:

D0Bo0Pj.png

dfFNIQD.png

FJDrRQr.png

bE3900e.png

jPZTntI.png

Celine

I second the recommendations for Crimson Shroud and Phantasy Star IV.

Also , while it's an action RPG, Terranigma is a masterpiece and can be completed in about 15 hours.

PsionBolt

Guadia Quest in Retro Game Challenge for DS. Sure, you have to play through most of the other games first to unlock it, but you'll want to do that anyway cuz ROBOT NINJA HAGGLEMAN IS AWESOME IN ALL ITS FORMS

I'm so glad someone else mentioned this game for once! I'm always pushing Guadia Quest and Guadia Quest Saga in threads like this one, but no one ever seems to take notice.

OP, these are the games you want, no questions asked. Short, classic-style, professionally-made, wonderful JRPG goodness. Very much Dragon Quest inspired, first-person combat but top-down exploration, three-person party of hero / fighter / mage, out to reconcile the heavens and the underworld. You can also capture some bosses and have them help you out in combat.

These two gems are, in my mind, unquestionably two of the best JRPGs of last generation. They are exactly the games you are looking for.

sqR9RAi.png
n1GlLiy.png

NGaWYpX.png
gGyI7tP.png

(Don't mind the Japanese text in these images, both games are available in English -- Guadia Quest 1 was officially released, while Saga has a good fan translation.)

PantsuJo

I second this. I was so thrilled to play a new Matsuno game, even if only a bite-sized one.
It's my favourite game for 3DS, really. I love the tabletop mechanics, the awesome story, the battles.
It's a shame it's often forgotten from 3ds users.

So, we should write it again for OP: buy Crimson Shroud asap.

Harmen

Technically not Japan but the South Park game is a relatively short turn based RPG, along with minimal grinding and a constant sense of prrogression.

oni-link

Well even though it's not actually a JRPG Child of Light is a pretty short turn based RPG that's definitely worth playing.

Came to post this

Grandia is not a 20 hour long RPG. It's a great game, but I sunk 60ish hours on it.

Yeah I beat Grandia last year and it took me 48 hours to beat, fantastic game but it's not short

I've heard the Golden Sun games are quite short for RPGs

No The Last Story mentions has me sad.

Go buy it OP, 15-20 hours, no grinding. You'll either like it a lot or hate it

I'm not the OP but I'd love to play this but I can't ever seem to find it for less than £45

Camjo-Z

I'm so glad someone else mentioned this game for once! I'm always pushing Guadia Quest and Guadia Quest Saga in threads like this one, but no one ever seems to take notice.

Heck yea man, spread the RGC love. Also worth noting that you TRULY get an old-school experience with this one. If it feels like you've reached some cryptic BS part of the game that the devs expected you to buy the latest gaming magazine to figure out how to beat, guess what: that probably is the case, so you have to go to your in-game bookshelf and dig out the right issue of a retro-styled magazine for an FAQ.

Definitely one of the best DS games available for nostalgia lovers, too bad it had such a painfully generic name/boxart that most people would (and did) ignore.

Dee Dee

I'm not the OP but I'd love to play this but I can't ever seem to find it for less than £45

I wanted to mention The Last Story, but the battle system is action and not turn based, so that's not what OP asked for.
It's super awesome though, no doubt.

RM8

This is a good thread. I like JRPGs, but I can't bring myself to play them because they tend to be so insanely long.

I'll throw my hat in for the "actually a western RPG but it's inspired by jrpgs so whatever" games. Shut Up and Jam, Undertale, and LISA: The Painful are short compared to traditional JRPG length, yet offer rather unique and satisfying experiences.

To The Moon is another that I haven't personally played, but I have heard good things about.

JC Lately

Undertale. Don't let the English names in the credits fool you, it's more JRPG than the last few Final Fantasies (or the next one for that matter). Turn based combat (plus bullet hell) straight out of Dragon Quest, monster negotiating like SMT, super story-focused a'la Final Fantasy, quirky AF characters that would feel right at home in Mother/Earthbound. Only about 8 hours long and highly replayable, if you so desire.
And you will

Barkley Shut up and Jam is amazing AND free, great dadaist humor.

Helen's Mysterious Castle was a cute and fun 8 hour romp well worth the admission ($2).

People should recommend more RPG Maker games, those are the only turn based ones I've played, but I know there's way more.

Yeah, I think Nocturne: Rebirth is also in line with what the OP is looking for.

Blues1990

Have you played 'Child of Light', which is the closest thing to a spiritual successor to the Grandia series combat mechanics? I adored the game when it was released back in 2014, & it's one of the few turn-based RPG's that values your time.

The #1 JRPG you probably know nothing about. An average playthrough is around 10-15 hours but every second feels of substance and quality. If the English version were available on a digital storefront I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I get the feeling if more people would play it, they'd see just how much better it is than most of the "usual suspects" in several areas, but unless you know Japanese your options are pretty limited in experiencing this masterpiece.

Suikoden IV is short

Yeah, I found it to be the shortest of the series too, though I didn't recommend it because it's also the most controversial one out there. While I personally loved it, I can see how the tedious ship hub world and the major departures from the other games turned a lot of fans away. That aside, as a stand alone JRPG, it's worth checking out.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Star Ocean 1 on Super Famicom (no idea about the PSP remake) took me about 23 hours and that was without speaking the language. If I played, the English translation, didn't really pay much attention to the Item Creation system and didn't do the postgame content I would have clocked in at under 20 hours.

Top Bottom