• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna Import |OT|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
KSmLq1w.jpg

Release Date:
JP February 18, 2016
NA 2016
EU 2016

Gameplay:
Project Setsuna is a role-playing video game in which players take control of a party of characters, navigating environments from an angled top-down perspective. Locations such as towns and dungeons are reached by navigating the game's overworld. In towns, the party can talk with villagers to reveal plot elements, and find treasure chests containing useful items. Various items such as healing potions or "Mistone" items for escaping from battle are sold in shops in towns and across the world.

Gems/Character Customization:

In addition to weapons and armor, there are also items known as “Gems” that you can equip to learn new command techniques or obtain additional effects.

There are a variety of Gems, which can be attached or detached at any time. The number of Gems you can equip at the same time increases each time you level up.

Gems can be acquired through the shop. You can bring the various materials you get as battle spoils to the shop, and if you have the required amount of materials, you can exchange it for a Gem. The materials required for each Gem varies.

Types of Gems
•Wall – A Gem that teaches you magic that reduces damage received from the enemy. By pressing the button at the proper timing, its effect is raised, and if you use the “Setsuna System,” it extends to the entire party, as well.
•Provoke – Provokes the enemy so that you may take all their attacks. When used with the Setsuna System, it has an added effect of damage reduction.
•Firebit – The fire attribute attack power of the equipped character is increased.
•Stonebit – Petrifies the enemy at the time of an attack.
•Caloric – Posseses the ability to widen the range of various attacks, and unleashes single attacks as multiple attacks.
•Harvest – Recovers some HP when an enemy is defeated.
•Avenger – Reflects a small amount of received damage.

Active Time Battle

The Active Time Battle (ATB) system is a common characteristic of Square Enix-developed RPGs. Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna‘s battle system is based on Chrono Trigger‘s ATB 2.0 battle system. It is a choose your command-based battle system full of tension.

When your ATB gauge is filled, you can take action. Also, if several characters’ ATB gauges are filled, you can select their actions in the order you prefer.

Depending on where you’re located compared to the enemy, you can deal ranged damage, or damage enemies with the trails of a projectile weapon. By properly devising the timing of your actions, it’s possible to fight more advantageously

(The combat system is based on Chrono Trigger’s; Battles occur seamlessly when you get close to enemies on the field. When the red bar at the bottom fills up, you can take your turn. Your location on the field is also important in battle.

The Setsuna System:
When the Setsuna Gauge at the bottom fills up in battle, the Setsuna System can be activated by pressing a button in time with the activation of a skill. If you do it properly, your attacks will be super strong versions, with higher damage and lots more craziness going on. For example, you might regain HP with every attack.
The combat system is based on Chrono Trigger’s, and is currently being called ATB Ver. 2. Battles occur seamlessly when you get close to enemies on the field. When the red bar at the bottom fills up, you can take your turn. Your location on the field is also important in battle.

The Setsuna System: When the Setsuna Gauge at the bottom fills up in battle, the Setsuna System can be activated by pressing a button in time with the activation of a skill. If you do it properly, your attacks will be super strong versions, with higher damage and lots more craziness going on. For example, you might regain HP with every attack.

Trailers:
E3 2015 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKEb-yGItpY
TGS 2015 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4HBoqq6qAw
Jump Festa 2016 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zdf_qONYg

Screenshots:
8gKm7hY.png
s00F277.jpg
Q085mGk.jpg

Review/s:
If you want more than scores, here's some meaningless text:

Setsuna Famitsu review
-Embodiment of the concept of good ol' RPG. Graphics have deep flavor, sad story, piano BGM help bring atmosphere
-Battles are steadily interesting
-They don't really feel anything originally new
-Stone customization & Strategic element in Setsuna system are good
-Too much loading in towns, a bit troublesome
-Takes about 20-25 hours to clear

https://twitter.com/bk2128

Seems like no one claimed this OT. I won't be playing it yet but I think this is a good thread for those who want to know how the game is.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
ponpo's informative stream watching impressions:

"nice music, game crashed once on ps4, Vita version load times are long."

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Buying the shit out of this on my way home tonight~

So super pumped for this. PS4 version GOOOO

Falk

that puzzling face
Tomoki Miyoshi's first solo soundtrack composition gig.

He did a stupidly awesome job.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
+1 for waiting for impressions before jumping in.
Game looks okay, but I want to know how it holds up.

Bladenic

Excited for impressions. I know it's Famitsu but but those talking points sound good, except sucks to hear about long load times. But hey patches exist for that reason.

expel

Playing on Vita. I recommend PS4 version instead of Vita. Load time n chugging in battle when using "magic", its not smooth at all

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Here's only one GAF impression I got from the latest MC thread:

It's boring since first hour and now I'm 10 hours in Setsuna

Bousf

Really interested in this game, I wanted it on Vita but if loading times are an issue, then PS4 it is. I fear the same may happen with WoFF :/

I'm about 2-3 hours in, I love the music! Gameplay is fine, on ps4 everything is quick. Story is simple but I like that, it feels like a snes rpg without a convoluted plot.

Biggest problem is that so far nothing stands out besides the music. I'm really enjoying the game but there isn't anything mind blowing or must play. Setsuna is surprisingly charming but the other characters are not interesting so far.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm about 2-3 hours in, I love the music! Gameplay is fine, on ps4 everything is quick. Story is simple but I like that, it feels like a snes rpg without a convoluted plot.

Biggest problem is that so far nothing stands out besides the music. I'm really enjoying the game but there isn't anything mind blowing or must play. Setsuna is surprisingly charming but the other characters are not interesting so far.

Sounds good enough for me for the price tbh. As long as battles are at least somewhat fun.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
What a lovely Chono Trigger clone we have here.

Kazer

Tomoki Miyoshi's first solo soundtrack composition gig.

He did a stupidly awesome job.

Seriously. I was watching some streams yesterday and basically all of the tracks are great.

As long as the music and battle system are good, I'm fine with this. Won't have my copies till next week but I'm excited to play it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just grabbed my copy downtown. Omw home to eat dinner, watch The Expanse, and then dig into this!

thetrin

Just beat the first boss. I'm in love. A truly classic styled JRPG. The music is amazing and melancholy. Dialogue is appropriate but not overly verbose and stupid.

Even the title card reminds me of FF6. I'm seriously waxing nostalgic right now.

Kazer

Just beat the first boss. I'm in love. A truly classic styled JRPG. The music is amazing and melancholy. Dialogue is appropriate but not overly verbose and stupid.

Even the title card reminds me of FF6. I'm seriously waxing nostalgic right now.

Good to hear!!

This post is exactly what I wanted to hear, and enough to justify my hype. Thanks! :)

thetrin

Oh wow, there's an individual option to turn off the hero's voice acting in case you want him to be a truly silent protagonist (the voice acting is only in battle). Clearly they are Chrono Trigger fans!

Kazer

Oh wow, there's an individual option to turn off the hero's voice acting in case you want him to be a truly silent protagonist (the voice acting is only in battle). Clearly they are Chrono Trigger fans!

That's pretty neat!

What a damn shame

Can they even fix it? Unity on Vita appears to be causing problems for damn near every developer

I kinda doubt it based off everything I've heard about Unity games on Vita, but I hope they can. I can live with the long loading times, but any slow down in battles is going to bug me.

Munba

Nice to hear.

Top Bottom