• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna Import |OT|

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I noticed this in the first real dungeon when seals started exploding and hurting my dudes standing right next to them.

When Setsuna's (adorable) weapon passed through one enemy on its way to hit the target I selected I had a stupid big grin on my face. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the game not showing exactly what gets targeted within the range, because having to think about is interesting.

Going to stream from now on for a while. http://twitch.tv/revenantkioku

Begaria

Yup it's all snow. It's beautiful but wish it had more

It's not a JRPG unless it has a fire/volcano area, a jungle area, a desert area, a water area, a snow area, and a....wait. That's a bit cliche.

I'm ok with a single environment. It's something not really done much in JRPGs from my experience.

It's not a JRPG unless it has a fire/volcano area, a jungle area, a desert area, a water area, a snow area, and a....wait. That's a bit cliche.

I'm ok with a single environment. It's something not really done much in JRPGs from my experience.
Well i didn't actually say it needed all that and even still called it all beautiful, loving the game so far. Just said i wouldn't mind more no need for snark

So we have no indication of when this game is coming outside of Japan?
Nope

Dark_castle

Its a low budget title and the studios first game

So I dont mind cutting them a little slack

I'm not sure if low budget means the game can't have a little more colour than freaking white. I understand that the game's setting is snowy but jeez, some variety wouldn't hurt.

It's not that I want volcano or jungle or desert area. It's that the snow basically kills all the details of the environment because well, everything is blanketed with white coating over and over. It's like there is no excitement in going to different area if it's all going to be more white texture covering everything. There was only 1 screenshot I saw that was free from snow, which is inside of a house, and you can see all the finer details of the objects and stuff.

I love that the game has snow and piano through all of it. It's going to give it a lot of personality, as well as a signature style.

delta_reg

I love that the game has snow and piano through all of it. It's going to give it a lot of personality, as well as a signature style.
Agreed with this, although the budget of the game seems to be small and has probably lead to cutting some corners here and there, the game being limited to one environment type and piano music should lead to a more consistent tone and feel throughout the game, and hopefully then a more focused experience and atmosphere. This is something jrpgs can struggle with at times with crazy plot twists or juxtaposing environments.

On the other hand it could lead to a boring experience with too much repetition or sameness, it'll depend on the art direction in that environment, the gameplay mechanics and the overall story. I just think that for a classic type low budget 20 hour jrpg having one environment type could actually be a good thing, and at the very least it has already given the game a sense of its own style.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm not sure if low budget means the game can't have a little more colour than freaking white. I understand that the game's setting is snowy but jeez, some variety wouldn't hurt.

i know i wanted some outer space segments in bioshock 1

True, But that doesn't mean they have to repeat the same mistake... The demo they show was looking to have challenging boss fight, sad this is not the case..

Mistake? Didn't know people complained that CT was too easy. Besides the sidequest bosses were pretty challenging (Retinite, Son of Sun, etc.)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You just kill all my hope for this game..

Honestly I don't think it's "very easy". It's on par with what I expect from a S-E RPG. Keep in mind that the guy you're quoting beat SMTIV Final in a week and has a Dark Souls avatar. :p

True, But that doesn't mean they have to repeat the same mistake... The demo they show was looking to have challenging boss fight, sad this is not the case..

Chrono Trigger's difficulty was perfect. What?

There are some slight variations between dungeons. It's not big, but its not all the same thing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
tee hee

next time I ll use DQ avatar then

Just sayin'. ;)

I think it's a totally fine difficulty. I don't want everything to be SMT difficult. Not all old games were difficult.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm more interested in the gameplay than the story, I'll say that much.

I ran into an ¿optional? fight that kicked my ass. Interested to go back at some point and take those jerks out.
Snow area, right before End has a chat.

thetrin

Ran into a pretty depressing story point after a boss fight that made me think slightly differently about the monsters in the world.

I'm liking the story personally.

Falk

that puzzling face
Ran into a pretty depressing story point after a boss fight that made me think slightly differently about the monsters in the world.

qYFNUqZl.jpg

g3p5TAf.png

edit: god i am so sick of snowy environments like in this screenshot

Samey environments would normally turn me off but considering the art direction of this game and the fact that snow environments are by far my favorite in videogames, I'm not ready to be bugged by that yet.

I'm about 12~ish hours in (although I'm not sure there is an actual timer anywhere).

+This is a good, turn-based Square RPG in the year 2016
+Story has had some touching moments so far, soundtrack really seems to help that
+Yep, piano soundtrack is pretty amazing
+Setsuna system is fun, always liked timed button presses in my turn-based RPGs
+There have been some good boss battles so far, one was particularly difficult (in a good way)
+Character-specific skills are good, tons of skills in the game, some are pretty cool
+Throwbacks to older games are fun, they don't beat you over the head with them

-(?)Hope you like snow
-Regular battles are easy
-Progress can feel a bit on the slow side at times, but I wouldn't call it boring
-Shouka system is too random and sorta confusing, Singularity system is completely random

Will definitely finish and can't wait for more RPGs from Tokyo RPG Factory.

I'm a bit further now, maybe halfway done with the game or a little more than that and I gotta say... Im really enjoying my time with it.

The biggest complaint I have is that there hasn't been any side quests/events that I've found yet. There are chests you need a key to open so getting those probably after I get the airship is one side thing I can look forward to. Also these areas that seemingly have nothing in them I'm sure will be a side thing for late game.

I'm liking how simple and easy to follow the story is and am pleasantly surprised by some of the more touching moments. The piano music adds a lot to those moments. There was even a cool plot twist I didn't see coming but I really liked.

It feels like a snes rpg. I'm enjoying it but I think of it more as a really really solid indie rpg with square Enix sensibilities rather than an okay true square Enix game... That should put it a little into perspective for people because both are valid ways to look at the game

I agree with everything twentytwo22 said! :p

Philippo

How is this game's Japanese?
I've been studying it for 3 years now (just got my N3) and i've been wanting to test my skills with a game for a while now, would you advice this?

Fbh

Do the enemies become a bit more menacing?
Because of the trailers I've seen so far they allways seem to be fighting cute penguins and sad Seals

bigjig

How is this game's Japanese?
I've been studying it for 3 years now (just got my N3) and i've been wanting to test my skills with a game for a while now, would you advice this?

I'd say if you're at an intermediate level or above you should be fine. There is no furigana so you'll need to be fairly proficient in reading kanji, but the actual content of what's being said is fairly basic stuff.

Because of the trailers I've seen so far they allways seem to be fighting cute penguins and sad Seals

They do, yes. Some bosses even take up the entire screen.

As for the Japanese question, some characters speak in very heavy honorifics. If you've got N3 under your belt, you'll be able to get along with a dictionary and a kanji dictionary. Let me know if you have any particular questions, always happy to help.

artsi

I'm liking the story personally.

I decided not to buy the game after seeing the slaughter of all those cute animals in a livestream.

Give me ugly monsters dammit :(

Just hit end-game (I'm assuming).

The structure is similar to Chrono Trigger in that there isn't much side-stuff until the end of the game. I can't speak for how much Setsuna has, but it already seems to be a decent amount (I've already found a side dungeon, a side village, and there are sealed chests all over the world to go and open).

One nice thing is that there is an NPC who gives you the option to match all of the enemy levels to yours, so you can continue leveling up while re-exploring the world looking for chests and stuff.

I have no problem with snowy environments. I prefer snowy areas(in games/art/real life) over tropical areas. I... LOATH tropical areas, for some reason(especially in real life). For instance, if all of FFX was like Besaid, I would've had a problem!

maszu

Neo Member
I personally don't have an issue with the snowy environment, I feel there is enough variety. We have caves, mountains paths etc. I just got to
Kiru's (?) village
and really like the feel and design of it.

Just hit end-game (I'm assuming).

The structure is similar to Chrono Trigger in that there isn't much side-stuff until the end of the game. I can't speak for how much Setsuna has, but it already seems to be a decent amount (I've already found a side dungeon, a side village, and there are sealed chests all over the world to go and open).

One nice thing is that there is an NPC who gives you the option to match all of the enemy levels to yours, so you can continue leveling up while re-exploring the world looking for chests and stuff.

That is good news.

Finally got the airship! There is a lot of side stuff now! I'm gonna stop for the night because I have work tomorrow but man I want to do a lot of things.

The coolest thing by far is
冒険者の里! The NPCs being the developers, the NPC that makes enemies your level, and the graphics of this area are so cool! I love the piano music but a non piano track in this area is perfect :p
I did not expect something like this in here at all! My opinion of the game went up a big deal.

Also i had some trouble on some of the bosses in the last few hours but nothing too hard. I think I got lucky on who they hit after some grinding and was able to beat them. Setsuna getting one shot is getting annoying though...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hmm, impressions seem in line to what I was expecting... seems like a fun, solid but not spectacular RPG that'll give me 20 hours of enjoyment. Which is all fine by me. Now if only they hurry up and announce a US release date (and hopefully a physical PS4 copy).

thetrin

qYFNUqZl.jpg

g3p5TAf.png

edit: god i am so sick of snowy environments like in this screenshot

It's so much more depressing. It's really sad. :(

Absolutely. The bosses I've faced are actually pretty awesome looking. The one I fought last night was crazy.

Some more impressions on the Vita version :

-It looks gorgeous on the oled screen
-some technical issues indeed : loading times (not as bas as expected) and some "frame skips" during combats. It's a shame since it gives the game a "cheaper" feel sometimes.
-I love how it is a tribute to older jrpg with lots of little nods but is also its own thing with the strong, unified choices made (piano, snow etc)
-It's such a treat to have Crono Trigger ATB back !
-It actually reminds me of Child of Light in a way : shorter rpg (well, based on other poster impressions) with a strong personnality and a strong art and music direction. Not AAA but you can feel a lot of care was put into it. Also the fact you have a great and familiar battle system back at last (Grandia for CoL and CT for Setsuna)

Overall, right now, I'm really glad this game exists.

thetrin

Okay. Anyone saying this game is too easy are crazy after the bosses I faced last night.

It might be too easy for them, but the average gamer will find plenty of challenge with the bosses.

Top Bottom