• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna Import |OT|

Okay. Anyone saying this game is too easy are crazy after the bosses I faced last night.

It might be too easy for them, but the average gamer will find plenty of challenge with the bosses.

I had some trouble on some of the later bosses :\ but after a little grinding it wasnt bad. My main issue was setsuna getting one shot, but i just fought with her dead and was able to beat them <_<

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I had some trouble on some of the later bosses :\ but after a little grinding it wasnt bad. My main issue was setsuna getting one shot, but i just fought with her dead and was able to beat them <_<

Until I got Shining, I actually took her out of my party and had my character healing with aura. Yomi and Kuon together had Hard Rush, which did a lot of damage, and Protect + Wall on everyone mitigated quite a bit of damage.

That said, now ive got a Triple Tech with Setsuna in the party, so I'm not sure I'll take her out again...

Also, I found the developer town. It was adorable. :3

I just beat the game. Overall I really liked the game. I have to say I went into the game expecting a Bravely Default with a Chrono Trigger flavor, but the game is not that. The best comparison I can make is Child of Light (which i also really liked). It is like a Chrono flavored Child of Light. I think 40$ is too much for this game, 30$ is okay, and 20$ is a really good price. Not sure what It'll cost in the west...

It did feel like an old school RPG, and traveling around the continents and finally getting the airship and flying around to everywhere was satisfying! I loved seeing all the places I visited and all the random newly accessible areas. The side content is all in the end game but its very much like old school RPGs in how you perform them. Talking to NPCs, hearing about random things, trying to figure out where to find what they are talking about, etc. Even has an optional "this boss is too hard, git gud" boss which i don't plan to beat..

The story is fine but nothing stand out... Simple story with a simple ending. The music makes the story nice to see fold out but the writing is shallow so its hard to get too involved in it. Setsuna is charming but none of the other characters mattered much to me.

Watching the credits made me realize how few people worked on this game! I'm glad i played it though and that it wasn't artificially long. The game's progression was good. I can't wait to see what Tokyo RPG Factory do as a follow up. I think the game sold 60k in its first week physically so i suspect with the western release the game will be very profitable.

Until I got Shining, I actually took her out of my party and had my character healing with aura. Yomi and Kuon together had Hard Rush, which did a lot of damage, and Protect + Wall on everyone mitigated quite a bit of damage.

The damage mitigation in this game is really good! Helped me beat MC's side quest fight. I haven't used Kuon for a while now because
i didn' trust her too much and thought she might leave the party.

Okay. Anyone saying this game is too easy are crazy after the bosses I faced last night.

It might be too easy for them, but the average gamer will find plenty of challenge with the bosses.

Same. I died a couple of times already. I've played much easier rpgs...

Anyone knows if there is any truth to this? (Item name spoiler)

GameFAQs said:
Every single ultimate weapon references one of the ultimate weapons from the original Chrono Trigger. End's best sword is the Niji (means "Rainbow"), Setsuna's best hairpin is the Valkyrie, Kir's best wand is the Miracle Rod (Wondershot was Miracle Shot in the Japanese version), Julienne's best spear is the Grandream (original name of the Masamune's final form), Kuon's best dagger is the Crisis, and Yomi's best greatsword is the Kouken (same name as Ayla's Bronze Fist but with the kanji for "sword" at the end instead of "fist").

And Fides' best scythe is the Zetsubou no Kama, which shares the name of Magus' best weapon.

maszu

Neo Member
Anyone knows if there is any truth to this? (Item name spoiler)

I know I got Endo's niji sword and liked the reference (but I think the setsuna sword found in the developer town is stronger?)

Finished it over the weekend. All in all, I'm really happy with it.
+Much like CT, quests are all at the end which flesh out the characters a bit more.
+Pretty simple and enjoyable story.
+ATB with Link attacks was a joy, feels there are many more combinations than CT but not enough strong foes to use them on...
+The piano! I was afraid I will grow tired of it but there is so much variety.

-I wish more characters than the main party would have 'face art'
-I hated the menu. Equipping stones end game was a chore as the list was mile long. And then if you rearranged the stones the order in the battle menu would alter too.
-I wish the was a 'exit the dungeon' spell.

Its seems to be selling well, hope the west embraces it well too. Now the question is... will we see a remake of Chrono Trigger made in a such a fashion? ;D

I respect some complaints people have, but my biggest fear is that the bigwigs at SE will mostly dismiss this as a failure, and think people just want more Lightning and FFXIII over old-school projects.

I respect some complaints people have, but my biggest fear is that the bigwigs at SE will mostly dismiss this as a failure, and think people just want more Lightning and FFXIII over old-school projects.

I wouldn't worry about that at all. Tokyo RPG Factory was established because Matsuda (the new president at Square) is a big fan of JRPG's from the SNES and PSone days. They really don't have the worry about all the trapping of modern JRPG's since they're working on small budgets. They can instead focus on making the types of games they want. And Square at the same time can work on breeding new and young talent through the studio. So overall the studio should be a big win for them.

Koozek

Here's a very nice interview with him and Setsuna's director. He doesn't say he's played any himself (he was already working at the time when most of the Setsuna devs were kids), IIRC, but he wants the Tokyo RPG Factory devs to recreate the feeling they had when they played their favorite JRPGs back when they were younger:

Matsuda: In my case, well, I&#8217;d already started working when they were kids, so&#8230;(laugh). I&#8217;m interested in seeing how they take formative experiences from their youth to produce something with the same enthusiasm they&#8217;ve just showed. If they, people who&#8217;ve been blown away by RPGs of days past, use today&#8217;s technologies to make RPGs, I believe they can truly create something that people today will resonate with.​

His most important goal is to foster a development environment within SE for smaller-scaled games again and also:
Matsuda: [...] Overseas, the number of successful works that pay homage to Japanese games is quite high. I thought about why those works couldn&#8217;t be created in Japan. Like, we&#8217;re seriously getting beaten at our own game (laugh). Then I also wondered if we can&#8217;t ever make authentic Japanese games again. These two reasons led to the creation of this Setsuna project.​

I Am Setsuna Dengeki PlayStation Special Feature (Part I)
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/03/24290/

Top Bottom