• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna Import |OT|

Kanann

bought it last night
finish tonight

short game, but Chrono Trigger is short too if you didn't do sub events/replay.

a little bit of boring from start to the end, but I think the mood of this game is to make you chill (no pun).

Renasu

Neo Member
Just got this in the mail. I'm excited to see how this game turned out.

I learned my lesson about shitty Vita ports with Exist Archive, so I opted for the PS4 version this time.

Cornbread78

More info for the OT:

8gKm7hY.png

s00F277.jpg

Q085mGk.jpg

Gems/Character Customization:

In addition to weapons and armor, there are also items known as “Gems” that you can equip to learn new command techniques or obtain additional effects.

There are a variety of Gems, which can be attached or detached at any time. The number of Gems you can equip at the same time increases each time you level up.

Gems can be acquired through the shop. You can bring the various materials you get as battle spoils to the shop, and if you have the required amount of materials, you can exchange it for a Gem. The materials required for each Gem varies.

Types of Gems
•Wall – A Gem that teaches you magic that reduces damage received from the enemy. By pressing the button at the proper timing, its effect is raised, and if you use the “Setsuna System,” it extends to the entire party, as well.
•Provoke – Provokes the enemy so that you may take all their attacks. When used with the Setsuna System, it has an added effect of damage reduction.
•Firebit – The fire attribute attack power of the equipped character is increased.
•Stonebit – Petrifies the enemy at the time of an attack.
•Caloric – Posseses the ability to widen the range of various attacks, and unleashes single attacks as multiple attacks.
•Harvest – Recovers some HP when an enemy is defeated.
•Avenger – Reflects a small amount of received damage.

Characters:
Scythe Man:
He lacks human emotion and comes off as a reaper. He’ll stand before the protagonist and friends a number of times in order to kill Setsuna

Kuon:
A traveler who visited the town long before Setsuna was chosen as a sacrifice. Is trusted by the people of the town. She’s like an older sister to Setsuna, and feels strongly about going along with the MC on this journey.

Yomi:
A swordsman who once accompanied a previous sacrifice to her place of fate, and succeeded in that mission long before Setsuna was ever chosen. He gives advice to the MC from a place of experience. He likes taking care of others, and accompanies Setsuna on her journey.

MISC:
Active Time Battle

The Active Time Battle (ATB) system is a common characteristic of Square Enix-developed RPGs. Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna‘s battle system is based on Chrono Trigger‘s ATB 2.0 battle system. It is a choose your command-based battle system full of tension.

When your ATB gauge is filled, you can take action. Also, if several characters’ ATB gauges are filled, you can select their actions in the order you prefer.

Depending on where you’re located compared to the enemy, you can deal ranged damage, or damage enemies with the trails of a projectile weapon. By properly devising the timing of your actions, it’s possible to fight more advantageously

(The combat system is based on Chrono Trigger’s; Battles occur seamlessly when you get close to enemies on the field. When the red bar at the bottom fills up, you can take your turn. Your location on the field is also important in battle.

The Setsuna System:
When the Setsuna Gauge at the bottom fills up in battle, the Setsuna System can be activated by pressing a button in time with the activation of a skill. If you do it properly, your attacks will be super strong versions, with higher damage and lots more craziness going on. For example, you might regain HP with every attack.
The combat system is based on Chrono Trigger’s, and is currently being called ATB Ver. 2. Battles occur seamlessly when you get close to enemies on the field. When the red bar at the bottom fills up, you can take your turn. Your location on the field is also important in battle.

The Setsuna System: When the Setsuna Gauge at the bottom fills up in battle, the Setsuna System can be activated by pressing a button in time with the activation of a skill. If you do it properly, your attacks will be super strong versions, with higher damage and lots more craziness going on. For example, you might regain HP with every attack.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Am glad someone did an OT for this so thanks to Ultros!

Looking forward to getting in some time with it tomorrow night hopefully.

Cornbread78

Am glad someone did an OT for this so thanks to Ultros!
Looking forward to getting in some time with it tomorrow night hopefully.

Stuff like this is why I asked that question in the OT last week, lol.

Thanks Ultros! for making it.

needs a title though:

Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna Import |OT| Not Chrono Trigger

Just got this in the mail. I'm excited to see how this game turned out.
I learned my lesson about shitty Vita ports with Exist Archive, so I opted for the PS4 version this time.

It's tough because I'll be able to dedicate more time to it on my Vita, so it's almost a shoe in....

Atram

bought it last night
finish tonight

a little bit of boring from start to the end, but I think the mood of this game is to make you chill (no pun).

How long was your timer to end the story?

Renasu

Neo Member
While clearly a budget title, this game looks absolutely amazing at times because of the solid art direction.

bought it last night
finish tonight

How many hours would you say it took you to complete?

Nyoro SF

I've just been patiently waiting for a localization announcement all this time. I'm a huge sucker for piano soundtracks.

Xenus

More info for the OT:

Gems/Character Customization:

In addition to weapons and armor, there are also items known as “Gems” that you can equip to learn new command techniques or obtain additional effects.

There are a variety of Gems, which can be attached or detached at any time. The number of Gems you can equip at the same time increases each time you level up.

Gems can be acquired through the shop. You can bring the various materials you get as battle spoils to the shop, and if you have the required amount of materials, you can exchange it for a Gem. The materials required for each Gem varies.

Types of Gems
•Wall – A Gem that teaches you magic that reduces damage received from the enemy. By pressing the button at the proper timing, its effect is raised, and if you use the “Setsuna System,” it extends to the entire party, as well.
•Provoke – Provokes the enemy so that you may take all their attacks. When used with the Setsuna System, it has an added effect of damage reduction.
•Firebit – The fire attribute attack power of the equipped character is increased.
•Stonebit – Petrifies the enemy at the time of an attack.
•Caloric – Posseses the ability to widen the range of various attacks, and unleashes single attacks as multiple attacks.
•Harvest – Recovers some HP when an enemy is defeated.
•Avenger – Reflects a small amount of received damage.

Materia like system?

Falk

that puzzling face
Someone already made that joke, but just pretend the VITA version is a PSX port of an SNES game.

Seeing a lot of positive impressions from my twitter feed. Please release this in the west!!!
I honesty don't get how there isn't a western release date yet. They announced the game at e3, it doesn't seem to have a big budget, should have been coming at least one or two months later. Same for star ocean V but I'll give that a pass because it's obviously a higher budget there

Famassu

I honesty don't get how there isn't a western release date yet. They announced the game at e3, it doesn't seem to have a big budget, should have been coming at least one or two months later. Same for star ocean V but I'll give that a pass because it's obviously a higher budget there
It having a small budget is probably at least one of the reasons why there's no release date yet. Localizing a game while it's still in development can be far more expensive (since all games go through changes, cuts, edits) than finishing it in one language and then starting the localization. Or maybe they are just such a small team that they can't do development & all the work that localization requires simultaneously.

It having a small budget is probably at least one of the reasons why there's no release date yet. Localizing a game while it's still in development can be far more expensive (since all games go through changes, cuts, edits) than finishing it in one language and then starting the localization. Or maybe they are just such a small team that they can't do development & all the work that localization requires simultaneously.
You know what I actually completely forgot this is a newly formed studio behind this.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Materia like system?

There doesn't seem to be linked nodes, which is what made the material system more than just equipable skills. But kind of?

Your weapons seem to take the roll of armor as well as they increase Def/MDef and it's your one accessory slot that gives you the spice. More ATB after taking an action, increased crit chance, more magic damage, etc. They can also give you more skill slots.

Which come in three types, A, C and S. All, Command, Support.

So yeah, it's kind of a basic materia-like system twisted with Chrono Trigger's techs. Each skill has a list of what it combos into, so a double or triple tech becomes available when your party has all of those skills.

Enemies don't drop money, but lots of stuff which you can sell and then use those sold things to create your skills. I like this more than "Sell materials for money or use them to make things." You get both from the junk you collect.

It's Chrono Trigger with a splash of other Square RPG flavors here and there. I'm only three or so hours in, and you can tell from the way you hop back and forth between each area that they tried to squeeze as much out of the budget as possible. Which might bother some, but hey, I got what seems to be a fun RPG for ¥4000.

maszu

Neo Member
Went with PS4 version instead of Vita two days before launch, couldn't be happier.
2-3 hours in. I like the 'Setsuna System' where you press square for extra damage if you have some orbs to spare. Can't wait to continue tonight after work!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really like the Setsuna system. It's similar to what you see in Paper Mario, but instead of just increased damage or hits, the buff you get is different based on what you use press with.

It looks like Wall extends to the whole party if you use Setsuna on it, but I'm curious if this is the case with Cure as well (haven't tried it just yet).

Using Setsuna even for a regular attack is worth it, as the second hit does about 80% of base damage in addition to the original damage (45 dmg and then 32 dmg). The main hero has 3 pips of setsuna that build up throughout the battle, and I found myself using them constantly.

I can see why you'd want to save them up if you want to use it with specific spells, but you seem to get it so often that it's worth using when you have the chance.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Updated OP. Hope we get more reviews soon!

injurai

Banned
This is also on Vita right?

edit: It is. But it has long load times.
But I guess I'll have to manage since I don't have a ps4.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
around 20 hours

not doing sub event yet

Hope you can give full impressions! Is this game good? Or at least better than a lot of JRPGs released this/last gen?

Sinople

Isn't SaGa Scarlet Grace made with Unity too? I'm worried now...
Maybe I'll tweet Kawazu about it (and be ignored).

Kanann

hard to say

half of game I played while watching movies/youtube, eat, listen to radio
so my judgement may unsuitable.

- Graphics is great in Unity standard, I like their snow and world map, character models are cute.
- but text and some minor things can tell you they up scale from Vita, anyway this is not my profession to complain and I know well Setsuna's budget is low.

- story want to make you sad, but I'm only sleepy.
- soundtrack are 90% piano, beautiful sad and ZzzzZzzz too.
- 0% humour, has some goofy characters but I didn't buy them.

- kinda fun with protagonist's choices
A. if you are nomal protag from typical/cliche/good guy video game main character
B. for ass hole, dump shit, clueless main character
no impact on ending or anything important.

- combat depth is ok, I tried both smash only O while watching movies and some tweak with a lot of skills, both are enjoyable.
- grinding, trying to kill monsters in different "kill" to get different drops is a little annnoying.
- drops need to use to make materias and sell for money to buy items and weapons, if you not 100% player no need to worry about grinding, just don't avoid encounter too much.
- no INN, please buy and use tent or cottage.
- very easy game.

- Chrono Trigger and 16bit era jRPG clone hear and there, you will see many references from start to finish.

7.5/10

rating/comparing what I play recently

I like Setsuna more than Exist Archive (another 7 score RPG)
but less than DQB, SMT4final, ♯FE (these are 8.5+-9.5 score)

Walpurgis

Banned
hard to say

half of game I played while watching movies/youtube, eat, listen to radio
so my judgement may unsuitable.

- Graphics is great in Unity standard, I like they snow and world map, character models are cute.
- but text and some minor things can tell you they up scale from Vita, anyway this is not my profession to complain and I know well Setsuna's budget is low.

- story want to make you sad, but I'm only sleepy.
- soundtrack are 90% piano, beautiful sad and ZzzzZzzz too.
- 0% humour, has some goofy characters but I didn't buy them.

- kinda fun with protagonist's choices
A. if you are nomal protag from typical/cliche/good guy video game main character
B. for ass hole, dump shit, clueless main character
no impact on ending or anything important.

- combat depth is ok, I tried both smash only O while watching movies and some tweak with a lot of skills, both are enjoyable.
- grinding, trying to kill monsters in different "kill" to get different drops is a little annnoying.
- drops need to use to make materias and sell for money to buy items and weapons, if you not 100% player no need to worry about grinding, just don't avoid encounter too much.
- no INN, please buy and use tent or cottage.
- very easy game.

- Chrono Trigger and 16bit era jRPG clone hear and there, you will see many references from start to finish.

7.5/10

rating/comparing what I play recently

I like Setsuna more than Exist Archive (another 7 score RPG)
but less than DQB, SMT4final, ♯FE (these are 8.5+-9.5 score)
Sounds decent but not something amazing. I'm expecting a Metacritic in the 70s. I hope it sells well enough for Tokyo RPG Factory to get some more money.

Edit: How do you think this compares to Bravely Default?

Not sure, but I think I saw the name Setsuna of the Snow somewhere.

That would be good, I suppose.

Isn't SaGa Scarlet Grace made with Unity too? I'm worried now...
Maybe I'll tweet Kawazu about it (and be ignored).

The only Unity game I know playing is that F2P Seiken Densetsu game. And it also had performance issues. They said they were going to improve the performance of the game on Vita but I never knew what happened to that. >____>

bigjig

I really like the Setsuna system. It's similar to what you see in Paper Mario, but instead of just increased damage or hits, the buff you get is different based on what you use press with.

It looks like Wall extends to the whole party if you use Setsuna on it, but I'm curious if this is the case with Cure as well (haven't tried it just yet).

Using Setsuna even for a regular attack is worth it, as the second hit does about 80% of base damage in addition to the original damage (45 dmg and then 32 dmg). The main hero has 3 pips of setsuna that build up throughout the battle, and I found myself using them constantly.

I can see why you'd want to save them up if you want to use it with specific spells, but you seem to get it so often that it's worth using when you have the chance.

Yeah, one of the things I really like about the battle system is that there is a lot more to it than first meets the eye. Positioning is also really important when considering what attacks to use. I'm only 3 hours in so far so it is still too early to tell but I'm really liking what I've played so far. Game also runs flawlessly on my PS4 btw.

My only (minor) complaints is that all the characters lack.. well character. They seem very template JRPG stuff so I hope they develop a bit more personality as the game goes on. The game is also fairly easy from what I've seen (about 3 bosses in), especially now with spells like Wall and Protect. If you're looking for Shin Megami Tensei level difficulty this might not be up your alley. Hopefully there are some optional bosses later on in the game that test the mettle. Another small issue I had is that characters walk realllly slowly across the world map. :( I hope they patch in an option to run because it takes a bit of the fun out of just wondering around.

Music is fantastic throughout, but I've found the piano focused score does get a bit samey. The graphics are definitely budget but there are a lot of subtle touches like snow falling off the trees and the characters leaving snowprints to spruce things up. Having said that it isn't a full price game so I can cut it some slack in that regard. Look forward to playing a bit more over the weekend.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, one of the things I really like about the battle system is that there is a lot more to it than first meets the eye. Positioning is also really important when considering what attacks to use. I'm only 3 hours in so far so it is still too early to tell but I'm really liking what I've played so far. Game also runs flawlessly on my PS4 btw.

I noticed this in the first real dungeon when seals started exploding and hurting my dudes standing right next to them.

Aeana

I had heard the name and seen some screens of this before, but I had no idea what it actually was. Now I'm upset that I don't have time to play it. :(

I'm trying to resist the urge to scoop this up, because I'm already "playing" half a dozen other games. SMT4, Xenoblade, Yomawari, Ryuu ga Gotoku (Yakuza), Stein's Gate and Fire Emblem If...

But goddamn it looks so good...

Top Bottom