• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENSHIN!! Official Tokusatsu Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

Troidal said:
"What, are, you, doing? Gah, my, brace, let!"

Yeah, it was terrible.

Tetsuo would have punched that kid.

Nah, Tetsuo would be too manly to punch a kid. A stare from him is enough to send the kid running with shit in his pants.

The Jyumenki design is good, though, and I liked his voice. It's a shame he will probably get beaten with some lame CGI blast in the next episode, though. The villains in this series were really underused.

Just watched that Amazon episode of Decade. It definitely would have more impact if the actor of Amazon was more proficient with the language and had more emotion with his lines

Decade are you also a kamen rider? "Maybe!" :lol

vareon

SHF Kuuga Rising Ultimate & SIC Kiva Emperor Form:

2v28nlw.jpg

j0cvhh.jpg

I don't really like SICs but daaaaaamn that Emperor Form looked cool.

ReiGun

That Rising Ultimate figure is sweet. Kiva is okay, but I dont really like SIC's figures that much.

RPM and Dragon Knight were great this week. RPM was surprising, since the episode synopsis sounded dumb. But it all came together for a great episode. And DK is officially good. Watch it if you aren't already.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So anyone else excited for the return of Kazuma Kenzaki (the original Kamen Rider Blade) next week? Mio from Kiva is returning as well. And Toei's website says that Saga, Garren, Leangle, and Rising IXA are returning as well, though we don't know if they're going to be suit-only like the Hoppers/Kaixa/etc, or if they'll appear out of suit like Kenzaki.

Troidal

Hrm, now it seems that the movie and the TV series may not necessarily be connected. Perhaps (like most Kamen Rider movies) it is one of those parallel universe plot.

After watching #29, there are some evidence that shows that.

- DiEnd did not have Amazon's arm bracelet.
- Dai Shocker's fortress appears at the end of #29. In fact, it's the same footage they used from the movie (albeit a shorter version).

2 more episodes? Seriously...how are they doing to conclude this is beyond me.

ReiGun

Decade really needed to be longer. I know the whole "it's just for the fanservice" excuse, but I still feel like the story deserved to be fleshed out a bit more.

With the original Blade returning, I wonder if they'll explain the alternate rider thing now.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Mari is returning too from Faiz. She and Natsumi IMHO resemble each other abit. The preview shows the alternate blade, hibiki and kiva appear so I wonder if the rest of the alternate riders show up in 31 (non rider form). I didn't get into the Blade series, but bringing in another original hesei rider is welcomed.

Or the twist is that Dark Decade from the PS2 Climax Heroes was the decade in the Rider War dream?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Defensor said:
Mari is returning too from Faiz.

Actually that's Mio from Kiva. They're both played by the same person. :lol But the pictures on Toei's Decade site confirm that she's playing Mio, not Mari.

Ronin

Seraphis Cain said:
So anyone else excited for the return of Kazuma Kenzaki (the original Kamen Rider Blade) next week?
I'd probably be excited if he wasn't the most boring heisei rider.

vareon

Whoa, Kenzaki Kazuma. I didn't see that coming! Nice. Logically the one who should appear is Kurenai Wataru, though, since he already appeared in episode one. But this is Kamen Rider, I don't know about continuitiy.

Looks like Mio will return as Queen.

Overall, episode 29 was weak. What's with that kid stealing another bracelet? :lol

ReiGun

Episode 29 was a bit better than 28, mainly because it featured Yusuke scoring a kill :D . He's one of the best things about this show, I swear. They really needed a better actor for Amazon. I guess Decade using the Final Attack Ride: Amazon card proves that Tsukasa can use Showa cards. Looks like Kaito was just trolling him when he said Decade couldn't use the Black card, proving that he is indeed a douche. Also, lol at Apollo Geist just saying "Fuck it" and leaving Jyumenki to get triple teamed.

W looks more and more intriguing with each preview. I like the suit design, and the dual rider concept looks cool. I wish the bike had a better name though ("The Hard-Boiler"? Seriously? I know they're detectives, but come on.) Kinda hard to believe it starts next month, with the movie in December.

vareon said:
What's with that kid stealing another bracelet? :lol
That kid is one slick mother fucker. He stole it right off Jyumenki's arm, and all the big bad could do was shamble after him. :lol

Troidal said:
I like how our conversation is like the Riders talking to each other...:lol
I just noticed. Re-reading my post complaining about Decade's length has a whole new meaning now. :lol

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
so it seems kivara is going to have a rider form too. i wondered if they were going to ever show it.

ReiGun

Urban Scholar said:
Did anyone just see Kamen Rider Dragon Knight's latest episode?
Damn man... :(
krdk-19-sf_059.jpg

Man tears :'(

Another great week for Dragon Knight and RPM (which is going on another break next week. RAGE!).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Not really sure what to say about Decade 30...It was okay, I guess, but I don't think the series is shaping up to have a satisfactory ending...

Also sorry guys, I decided to go color for the avatar...the black and white looks cooler, but I have a really nice picture with all the (color) Rider posters in high quality, and it just looks better than the pictures from the low quality photograph of the black and white posters.

vareon

Seraphis Cain said:
Not really sure what to say about Decade 30...It was okay, I guess, but I don't think the series is shaping up to have a satisfactory ending...

It was actually good, but nowhere near good enough to be a series finale. Having Apollo Geist, a villain from Showa series in a Heisei fanservice series is weird. Having only Wataru and Kazuma returns was not really satisfactory, too.

And damn if all this "Rider war" was only the Riders turning evil and fight each other. I hope not :lol

Apharmd

Decade just lost all its luster to me ever since Hibiki world ended. The days of interesting fights and revisiting themes of Heisie riders are gone. Honestly, I blame the writer shift. :X

Troidal

The final episode of Decade just aired...WTF at the "ending".

The story will conclude in December's movie with Kamen Rider W. And judging by the preview, it has nothing to do with All Rider vs. Dai Shocker's storyline. At least that's how it seems like.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That was the worst thing I've ever seen.

Way to go, Toei. You obviously couldn't figure out how to properly handle Decade, so now we're stuck with a horrible "finale" and a crossover movie in FOUR MONTHS that serves as the *true* ending.

Screw this, bring on Double.

vareon

It might not have a satisfactory ending, (wtf was that?), it might not be the anniversary show we all wanted (almost no return of old heisei actors, alternate universe), it might have the two best fanservice episodes ever (Kotaro Minami returned as Black and Black RX), it might be the first Kamen Rider to crossover with Super Sentai, but man, whatever Decade is, it was FUN.

Not fun in a sense that this was or was not a great series, but it's still fun. From it's first unveiling (wtf Pink) to its movie unveiling and news and bits, it was a great thing to look forward to. Kinda sad that this has ended.

Here's my opinion on every story arcs:

Episode 2 & 3 (Kuuga's World) : Almost felt like a Kuuga episode. Liked it very much.
Episode 4 & 5 (Kiva's World) : Since the actual Kiva was very underwhelming, I liked this one more than the real Kiva series. I can really felt that Kiva was a prince/king and almost everyone in his world recognizes him.
Episode 6 & 7 (Ryuki's World) : Don't like it. There's a huge inconsistency involving time traveling here, and the concept of Riders as lawyers didn't really click on me.
Episode 8 & 9 (Blade's World) : Again, one of the weaker worlds. Kamata was greatly underused as a villain.
Episode 10 & 11 (Faiz's World) : I don't know why, but I liked it. I felt a high school Faiz would work as a real series, or maybe because Faiz in this world was a classic incognito hero.
Episode 12 & 13 (Agito's World) : Liked the references to Kuuga, but not so much for the episodes. I liked how Gills actually became Agito though.
Episode 14 & 15 (Den-O's World) : Felt like a Den-O episode. Which means okay.
Episode 16 & 17 (Kabuto's World) : I like it, since it shows that Kabuto was still almost untouchable.
Episode 18 & 19 (Hibiki's World) : One of my favorite episodes, probably because of that epic Ongeki orchestra.
Episode 20 & 21 (Nega World) : Don't really like it, though there's a pointless Kurenai Otoya cameo and Complete form was a complete mess.
Episode 22 & 23 (Diend's World) : One of the weaker episodes, an underused potential villain, and it didn't really explain anything about Diend.
Episode 24 & 25 (Shinkenger's World) : Crazy mindless fun with the Shinkenger guys! I liked it.
Episode 26 & 27 (RX and Black's World) : Best fanservice ever.
Episode 28 & 29 (Amazon's World) : Pretty weak episode and pretty weak Amazon. Meh. Great villain design though.
Episode 30 & 31 (Rider War World, finale) : Goddamit that wasn't even a finale.

And that's it!

I don't have any huge hopes for Double (from the promos, it looks like it will be as light-hearted as Den-O which wasn't my cup of tea), but the prospect of a new writer intrigues me. I'll watch all of it, I think, as was all the heisei riders.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Finally got to watch DCD 30.

Wow, sloppy handwriting. Suddenly plot twists out of plot holes.

Alright who saw the Decade finale and felt like ?! Man I have we have to wait 6 months for the next movie? I'll give it to those Tokusatsu shows and movies they know how to keep the fans wanting more and more. Man no wonder the decade movie killed it at the movies. Still meh on W though

ReiGun

Argh! All that for a cliff hanger! Why you gotta hurt so good Decade? :'( Oh well, forget about the past, W is that new hotness.

The battle with Takeru and Juuzou in the last Shinkenger was awesome. Also, Super Shinkenblue ftw!

Also, the new Dragon Knight will be airing today at 4:30 for.....some reason. Another new episode is coming tomorrow.

vareon

Seraphis Cain said:
Oh, hype level is definitely in check. I've been a toku fan long enough to know how these things work. :D

Watching Shinkenger now! 15 minutes until W.

Yeah, I kinda forgot we're tokusatsu fans. We have been keeping checks of our hypes for every episode of anything :lol

and damn you for watching early D: give us some impressions later, spoiler-free if possible :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Spoiler free first impressions:

It's definitely good. Opening is really nice, very stylish, both visually and musically. W's henshin works a lot differently than I thought it would. Switching powers mid-battle is cool too, seems very tactical. Still not sure if I like the Rider Kick or not, but at least it was good to see a Rider Kick in the first episode *cough*Decade*cough*. Oh, and the DoubleDriver's voice is awesome.

Overall, I really liked it.

ReiGun

I couldnt wait, so I decided to watch the W premiere on Keyhole. Some impressions: (spoiler free of course, I couldnt understand any dialogue.)

- Missed the OP waiting for Keyhole to install, so nothing on that.

- The series does seem more light hearted, but I doubt anyone will be as annoyed by it as some were with Den-O.

-I really do like the look of the series. It really has this detective/murder mystery vibe that suits it well.

- The W Dudes (didnt catch their names) seem like an odd pair. Especially the one you first see hanging around their hideout.

- Well, at least we know they dont need to be together to transform. Although the method they have could (should?) cause problems down the line.

- YAY! for super enthusiastic belt voices!:D

- W's Lunar power = awesome!

- That Rider Kick looks painful.

- We have another mech-like transport.And this one looks like it could kick Den-Liner's ass.

All in all, I liked what I saw. I'll need subs to give a final judgement, but based on what I watched, W looks like it could be a fun ride.

Edit: Damn, KR fans do fast work. Here's the OP: W-B-X ~W boiled extreme~. It's great, something you could actually listen to on it's own.

Apharmd

Watched the first episode.

Impressions:

- AWESOME cold open, followed by a great OP.
- Fantastic and flashy. While it's slapstick, it does have a very stylized approach.
- Apparently Shotaro is the body of W, with Phillip going into his mind when he transforms into W.
- Phillip's not as bad as I thought.

Boss Doggie

Eh, looks like I'll be back to skipping Kamen Rider again.

On a related note, sex jokes. In Power Rangers.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ookami-kun said:
Eh, looks like I'll be back to skipping Kamen Rider again.

On a related note, sex jokes. In Power Rangers.

c'mon, you're a member of toku-gaf. You have to keep up with anything rider, ranger, and anything in a skintight suit with explosions.

vareon

Watched and liked it, though I always liked every Kamen Rider episode ever.

- I liked W's fighting style, jumping and kicking like there's no tomorrow. Not a fan of Joker Extream though. Looks like Darkness Moon Break will still be my favorite finisher.

- His SCARF. Man, his SCARF. Probably W's most defining feature after his two-color scheme.

- The bike seems to get some use. Let's hope this keeps up in later episodes.

- Philip's personality matches his clothing style too, apparently. Which was OK.

- And I liked the opening, very anime-ish.

Let's hope the quality remains consistent (though budget will obviously diminish) for the entire season.

Boss Doggie

I'm a Showa-era toku fan though. I can't seem to swallow any Heisei riders. Hell, I was able to tolerate Kuuga and Ryuuki, but stopped since Blade. It just lacked... manliness and seriousness.

Shinkenger made me watch Sentai since I stopped caring since Dekaranger. And even then I thought that show sucked unless it involved Tetsu Inada's amazing voice work with the character Doggie. Basically I stopped enjoying Sentai post Timeranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom