• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

scoobs

Hey everyone, quick question as I'm new to ranked (mostly been playing quick match until now).

I picked D.Va (I was the 2nd in my team to pick, first one was Li Ming, map was the Egyptian temples one can't remember the name), and instantly the whole team started saying stuff like "dva lol we lost" "fucking dva, I'm throwing this one". Did I break some kind of untold rule or did something wrong? Is D.Va considered bad?

we won

What league are you in? In the lower leagues where people are just flatout not good and don't understand how to draft, they only draft meta picks and consider all other picks terrible and assume they're going to lose.

In the higher leagues you don't see that as much. For whatever reason bad players are the worst about it.

"Oh no he picked a 52% win rate hero, we lose!" - Someone you shouldn't ever listen to

I'm starting to feel like D.Va might be a tier 1 hero btw, she's super good.

Nugg

What league are you in? In the lower leagues where people are just flatout not good and don't understand how to draft, they only draft meta picks and consider all other picks terrible and assume they're going to lose.

In the higher leagues you don't see that as much. For whatever reason bad players are the worst about it.

"Oh no he picked a 52% win rate hero, we lose!" - Someone you shouldn't ever listen to

I'm starting to feel like D.Va might be a tier 1 hero btw, she's super good.

I'm still in placement games, I'm just starting, so I guess you're right, I'm just not used to it.

Kioshen

Any thoughts on which announcers are the best? I just want to buy one and stick with it. I have ~450...shards? I'm not sure what to spend them on, but I've only been playing a month so I feel like I'll get plenty over time.

The best is Brightwing but they bumped her rarity to legendary so the second best is Lili for me. Her enthusiasm and sense of wonder clashes wonderfully with the mood the game is trying to make. Abathur is also a nice change of pace.

Hey everyone, quick question as I'm new to ranked (mostly been playing quick match until now).

I picked D.Va (I was the 2nd in my team to pick, first one was Li Ming, map was the Egyptian temples one can't remember the name), and instantly the whole team started saying stuff like "dva lol we lost" "fucking dva, I'm throwing this one". Did I break some kind of untold rule or did something wrong? Is D.Va considered bad?

we won

I'm probably biased because of who I play with but I'm used to seeing D.Va on the MVP screen. Not sure how she works in a more organized setting but people crying foul before even seeing gameplay are not to be listened to. Sure there some better bruisers to pick right now but much more are below.

Gotchaye

does d.va's charge interrupt shit like tychus Q, nazeebo ravenous spirit, or chen's drink?

I've seen it interrupt Nazeebo's ult. It definitely interrupts another D.Va's Call Mech. But I'm pretty sure I've also hit a Gul'Dan channeling Drain Life and it didn't stop him, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Rizzi

Does quick match even try to find balanced matches anymore?
Enemy team has three tanks with high CC and two stealth. We have one tank and four melee assassins.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that loot box thing isnt on EU yet, even tho they said its from the 22nd. Is it up on US store?

Kioshen

Looking back it was. It just never clicked in my brain before I did the tl;dr tidbit above. Now it all makes sense. Tychus was sure stupid back then when his grenade stunned and he had a second life bar with Odin. No wonder he was one of my faves.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Diablo really growing on me, pushing ppl around is fun.

Alur

Do people find Genji oppressive like they found the stealth heroes oppressive? Kyle on ITN seems to, and even implied he thinks maybe Genji is driving down the winrates of some other heroes.

d.va is suuuuper fun

She is, but still find her a bit clunky. Would love to at least be able to cancel Q when I want. I had like a 5-1 or 6-1 run on her yesterday.

Does quick match even try to find balanced matches anymore?
Enemy team has three tanks with high CC and two stealth. We have one tank and four melee assassins.

What were the two teams? Did you have a stealth as well? Stealth gets matched against stealth at a limit of one per team unless it's a five man. I guess you could get a two with a 4+1 team too, but I haven't really paid attention if that happens. Real tanks get matched against real tanks. Bruisers, though, like D.VA, Varian, and even Sonya only face other bruisers and that pool includes heroes like Thrall and Ragnaros. That's why people are so eagerly awaiting the Varian QM change.

But despite all the rules if you wait long enough or they did, it will loosen those rules to try to find the most suitable game MMR wise at a certain point.

Alur

Maybe it's just our MMR range but most games when an opponent has him he seems ineffectual and/or feeds. He might snipe a few kills, but it's always like that Fan game on Tomb last night at worst. Felt like he could do more, but the Genji fucks it up or someone else counters it.

I've never felt oppressed by him. Definitely not like that Varian/Valeera bullshit meta we had for a bit, or early Samuro, or even Zeratul back in the mage Zera days or current 350 million teleports version that you can't even survive if you're a squishy and not near a fort.

I've had some games where I have been oppressive to the enemy, like this one the night before last:

UUEr6aH.jpg

But mostly he strikes me as a less sticky Illidan who is also less capable of facerolling over you and 100-0'ing you. Like if you get low, you're in immense danger against him, but to me that's not oppressive. That's how it should be anyway. The amount of kills that get away on both sides from game to game is kind of sickening and Genji rectifies that problem. I guess if you want to say him having that ability puts fear into the opposition when they go low and could cause misplays, then maybe that's the oppression you're talking about?

genji has 1 too many get out of jail free cards.
2 mobility and an invulnerability ability as well as reset potential.

re: get out of jail free cards, I can see that maybe. Deflect for me is very much like Defense Matrix with D.Va. Either you get a great use or you just fucking wasted it, and there's no real in between. The most valuable use of it for me (beyond pooping on Tracer/Ming ult/Tychus types) has always just been simply surviving when you E a straggler and it puts you into a fort/behind a wall. W + D out, or W + E reset out.

Rizzi

Do people find Genji oppressive like they found the stealth heroes oppressive? Kyle on ITN seems to, and even implied he thinks maybe Genji is driving down the winrates of some other heroes.

She is, but still find her a bit clunky. Would love to at least be able to cancel Q when I want. I had like a 5-1 or 6-1 run on her yesterday.

What were the two teams? Did you have a stealth as well? Stealth gets matched against stealth at a limit of one per team unless it's a five man. I guess you could get a two with a 4+1 team too, but I haven't really paid attention if that happens. Real tanks get matched against real tanks. Bruisers, though, like D.VA, Varian, and even Sonya only face other bruisers and that pool includes heroes like Thrall and Ragnaros. That's why people are so eagerly awaiting the Varian QM change.

But despite all the rules if you wait long enough or they did, it will loosen those rules to try to find the most suitable game MMR wise at a certain point.

The only character on the team with stealth was a Samuro. I'd play unranked but that takes forever to find a match.

Alur

Forever like 10 minute queues? Or just not 1 minute QM queues? It's usually about ~3 mins for me for Unranked and probably ~5 when we have a bigger group. Despite people really clamoring for the mode, QM has the biggest population followed by Hero League.

Rizzi

Forever like 10 minute queues? Or just not 1 minute QM queues? It's usually about ~3 mins for me for Unranked and probably ~5 when we have a bigger group. Despite people really clamoring for the mode, QM has the biggest population followed by Hero League.

Between 5 and 10 minutes. I'm on the Australian servers though, so a significantly smaller population than US and EU.

Alur

Oh, yeah, I bet it sucks major then. Whatever population imbalances on the two modes there are probably get exacerbated big time.

brian!

It's mainly what you said about genji effectively reducing enemy team's hp from a screen away (almost 25% for squishos!) + me not finding stealthers very oppressive to begin with.

Fancolors

Played some Gigantic. Game is fun, but damn does it have long queue times. Makes me appreciate HotS more, I used to think 4 minutes was long.

Alur

Seriously what in the fuck is up with all these Cho'Gall's the past few days? I get on to play a game with Ketch just now...queued into Cho'Gall on Tomb and we have Vikings. NICE

EDIT: and our Leoric is a bot or so wood tier he uses his Q on nothing and W on minions.

Rhaknar

Seriously what in the fuck is up with all these Cho'Gall's the past few days? I get on to play a game with Ketch just now...queued into Cho'Gall on Tomb and we have Vikings. NICE

EDIT: and our Leoric is a bot or so wood tier he uses his Q on nothing and W on minions.

told u dude. Ive been seeing Cho'Galls for weeks on EU. Already saw 2 today, which for what is supposed to be a very niche character, is a lot :p

Alur

I played 8 or 9 games yesterday with the group and we ended up facing Cho'Gall either 4 or 5 times in that run I think. Not a fun hero to play against or even with in QM because of how comp reliant he is. Pretty much the definition of two dudes queuing up and going "we gonna do what the fuck we want you're on your own".

Milly79

Lol... we won against one after you dipped out last night on Hanamura.

CG, Auriel, Zera, Valla

Greymane, Malf, Varian, Diablo and uhh... who was Proto? Can't remember.

They fucked up just one good time after dominating is the majority of the game and it cost them a 3-2 game.

Rhaknar

Got my Diablo to 10, and he probably lands in my favorite pile, as a bit of an upset really, since I never liked him, and the first game I did when I went to retry him recently I still didnt like him. Good games with him today too on the last stretch to 10.

Once I starting being more careful and feeding less (which I still do on him on ocasion, those charges man) and understanding when and where to charge, he really clicked with me. Lets see, what warriors do I have left. Varian, Chen and ETC I guess, with Anub half way done (he's 8 or something? I dont think my opinion will change much on him up to 10, hes "whatever" for me, like Arthas, I dont particularly like or dislike him)

Rizzi

Falstad's wingman talent seems really good. Free mercenaries and increased lightning rod damage is a hard thing to pass up.

Alur

I think we won every game against CG yesterday. We only lost 1 game the whole time I was on. Still hate playing against them. Such a brute force hero.

Completed the nexus challenge after joining the ASUSROG channel grubby promotes and just ticking the LFG box. Played 10 games straight with the first guy that invited me, must have gone 6-4 overall.

Rerolled approx 2k gold for the boxes but was rewarded with 3 legendaries.

Played 2 games with Chromie, finally got her to 10, and Medivh and one of each Sonya, Xul, Tyrande, D.Va, Greymane, Zeratul and you know what, the Hots developers are really fucking great at their job.
I don't remember a time where I was ever so happy with the state of an online player game.

Alur

High praise. Glad to hear you're back to enjoying it.

I feel the same. Really enjoyed the last few heroes and 2.0.

Dreavus

Made it into gold 5 HL!

I had to hold team morale together to pull out the last few wins. God some of these people are so petty I can hardly believe it. Not sure if I'll keep going with ranked.

Kioshen

Congrats ! I salute your resolve to slog through ranked like that. I'm still not sure if I will ever bother doing ranked in a moba. Ladder anxiety is something I have a weird problem with.

It's generally recommended to buy heroes with gold when they're on sale, right? I have like 15k right now but I'm unsure how to spend it. I just want to maximize efficiency to expand my roster quickly, generally, since there's no one I absolutely must have.

High praise. Glad to hear you're back to enjoying it.

I feel the same. Really enjoyed the last few heroes and 2.0.

Oh right there was that time I tried ranked and it didn't go so well but ever since they gave Greymane 10 armor I've been enjoying the game. Just still only play at irregular intervals.
It's generally recommended to buy heroes with gold when they're on sale, right? I have like 15k right now but I'm unsure how to spend it. I just want to maximize efficiency to expand my roster quickly, generally, since there's no one I absolutely must have.
sales don't reduce gold prices, they go down over time very slowly. Except newly released heroes costing 15k for the first 2 weeks to rest on 10k afterwards.

Top Bottom