• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Maledict

Yes Famile I do, because a) the level of skill was much lower at the time, and Dig had the easier route to the final, but also and most importantly - this was the first time that EUs dominance meta wise between the two regions became apparent. Dig were drafting stuff very different to other regions, and in particular they abused Tyrael massively which other teams were not expecting. One reason C9 beat them was because they wisely banned the crap out of some of Digs comps in the final.

Given ADRDs history and what numerous people said about him, I find it totally believeable that by the final he wasn't communicating at all. Still think it a shame that aethero jumped ship from dig though, that really wrecked his reports career.

They had to beat NaVi to get to the finals whom they scrimmed with extensively. None of your arguments apply to them and this was their roster at the time.
OFDHXGBJP4AI1446110338157.jpg
splendour, wubby, jaypl, ethernal, alex.

idream would actually complement their roster quite well. He'd have to pick up on vikings though. I'd not be happy about that team though.

I disagree any main tank fits but idream would be a natural fit to Udall and Fan while K1pro conflicts more with Fan and doesn't pick up enough on the heroes GFE lacked so far.

Also there's supposed to be bad blood between fan and some of C9

brian!

In my head k1 can flex between ranged/melee, fan flex range, and udall flex melee. I dunno about hero pools but i feel like any of the three should be able to pick up meta heroes in their categories. Pretty sure if k1 switches over he'll be the falstad player instead of udall

Alur

Has k1 ever played melee? Fan said he expects to go range but that's literally k1's only thing. Mages and such.

brian!

He's been playing melee for bstep, they took mac off of it because he has bad synergy with caff. That's hearsay from reddit comments btw i dont remember the context

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have no idea what the last 2 pages are about :(

Well i know its about the pro scene obviously.

Alur

Mc needs to give up the ghost and go full time streamer or at least be on a team where he's not perpetually the second choice.

brian!

Im pretty interested in all the scrim blocking stuff zoia is gonna talk about tonight. Blacklisting teams from scrims is pretty normal tho

According to reddit comments, insomnia has been removed from freedom per his stream

Alur

I love how our thread has evolved into some semblance of football summer transfer window speculation the last few pages. Highly entertaining.

Alur

I love the speculation and the what ifs and all of that. I'm currently hoping Manchester United close out this Europa League final for all the juicy Griezmann speculation we'll get over the next few weeks since they qualify for Champions League. The speculation - both for football and the NFL and NHL and League and HOTS - is almost as good as the sport itself.

I have no idea what they're talking about anymore.

Watch the pro scene, you'll catch on quick. And learn some stuff to help you along the way.

brian!

Also, is it just me or have dread and gilly pretty much shit the bed recently in terms of casting quality? Not to pile on them but i caught some hgc a week or two ago and it was kind of the worst

Alur

All IMO, of course, but Dread has kind of fallen in love with his "tell it how it is" shtick a bit and has begun to ham up everything a bit too much. Kind of like Khaldor used to do with hype, Dread now does with just straight shitting on teams. It's just a tired gimmick for me. I get they aren't as good as EU or KR, but the constant eyerolling and know-it-allness and exasperation is a bit much for me.

dread doesn't tell it how it is, he just has given up any pretense of professionality. He doesn't bother to try to make sense of drafts and calls, instead either trashes them or makes fun of it and not in a good way. He starts laughing or shaking his head extensively, it's rarely critically and more often mean spirited.

Because he's always been the one dictating the pace of the show, Gilly is mostly going along with it.

Rizzi

Lame. I bought the welcome bundle and got a bunch of rare heroes I already owned before I ran out of gold to reroll. At least I got the gems I suppose.

Maledict

Will be interesting to see how he is at the mid season brawl - whether he's still really negative, or if casting some other teams changes his attitude.

I still find it funny mind you because wtf is going on over there. Khaldors still decent at guessing EU drafts but who the hell knows what NA is running.

Alur

dread doesn't tell it how it is, he just has given up any pretense of professionality. He doesn't bother to try to make sense of drafts and calls, instead either trashes them or makes fun of it and not in a good way. He starts laughing or shaking his head extensively, it's rarely critically and more often mean spirited.

Because he's always been the one dictating the pace of the show, Gilly is mostly going along with it.

This is what I was getting at. He feels like he's telling how it is, but really he's just kind of mean spirited like you say. It's like an attempt at levity but it is failing miserably.

brian!

He does the unsolicited prediction thing, like i dont mind if he's correct but he's constantly wrong and doesnt try to reign it in. Like gilly will suggest something, dread will always bust in with his hot take, gilly will end up being right and dread will be all "haha well that's egg on my face even tho they should have done what i thought they would do", and that's fine but he juuust doesnt stoooop

Like tigerjk misclicks his lvl 7 on uther and they spend at least 5 minutes trying to figure out why hed take a talent dependent on stuns when there are no stuns on the enemy team with at least a whole minute being dedicated to hammy stunned silence and sputtering. Just say he probably made a mistake! It felt like the stream was more "dread reacts" than anything else

I really wouldn't call it keeping it real. He's probably dejected about the state of NA but he's not doing a good job of highlighting when some do it right.
HGC players have been complaining about his mean spirited remarks quite a bit.

kirblar

He does the unsolicited prediction thing, like i dont mind if he's correct but he's constantly wrong and doesnt try to reign it in. Like gilly will suggest something, dread will always bust in with his hot take, gilly will end up being right and dread will be all "haha well that's egg on my face even tho they should have done what i thought they would do", and that's fine but he juuust doesnt stoooop

Like tigerjk misclicks his lvl 7 on uther and they spend at least 5 minutes trying to figure out why hed take a talent dependent on stuns when there are no stuns on the enemy team with at least a whole minute being dedicated to hammy stunned silence and sputtering. Just say he probably made a mistake! It felt like the stream was more "dread reacts" than anything else
I found that blow-up hilarious though!

Different tastes, etc.

kirblar

For sure, im just trying to figure out if there was some shift or if he was always like that lol
Dread's always been like this, he's not being mean for the sake of it, he just can't help being honest. He's a player first, not a broadcaster.

It's reminiscent of Justin Wong's commentary w/ fighting games- he's negative, but it's not because he's mean, it's because he doesn't hold back his opinions.

Trent Esports article on the GFE changes, pretty much chimes with my thinking. Until GFE sort out the dedicated warrior spot and the hero pools of Udall and Fan they will still face issues.

https://trentesports.wordpress.com/2017/05/24/gale-force-esports-analyzing-the-roster-shuffle/

I have been loving this guy's articles in general. some good analysis I agree with.

khroen is listed as an official GFE sub, does that mean he still has some ties? I want to see him shine on a new team.

also have very much enjoyed dread and Gilly casting :D my wife who watches hgc casually with me sometimes enjoys them as well

Dread's always been like this, he's not being mean for the sake of it, he just can't help being honest. He's a player first, not a broadcaster.

It's reminiscent of Justin Wong's commentary w/ fighting games- he's negative, but it's not because he's mean, it's because he doesn't hold back his opinions.
He's not been a player for more than a year. You never see him stream, you never see him in games of other streamers, he doesn't produce any content outside of HGC. I wouldn't be surprised if Dread is barely playing the game on a casual level.

Just because you're discontent doesn't mean your criticism has to be mean spirited. I never watched the FGC so I can't really draw comparisons but you're a magic player and you know Marshall and LSV would never laugh for any longer than what would be considered a snicker. The SCG guys go off the rails regularly but that's never directed at players.

kirblar

He's not been a player for more than a year. You never see him stream, you never see him in games of other streamers, he doesn't produce any content outside of HGC. I wouldn't be surprised if Dread is barely playing the game on a casual level.

Just because you're discontent doesn't mean your criticism has to be mean spirited, I never watched the FGC so I can't really draw comparisons but you're a magic player and you know Marshall and LSV would never laugh for any longer than what would be considered a snicker.
It's not that he's discontent, it's that he can't help but view it through his competitive lens. He's just less good about hiding it than say, Patrick Sullivan.

They're also pro players, not amateurs, which is a big deal. Commentary like this at the HGC open series wouldn't be cool and I doubt he'd go in on that if it was a group he had lower expectations of.

brian!

im not really talking about him being honest or not, more stuff like really shitty tangents, not thinking before speaking, being wrong about so many things, sputtering a lot, and just in general putting his narrative above what is actually happening on screen. now that im thinking about it i remember his reaction to gfe picking zuljin for the first time on braxis and just repeating over and over "yeah I really gotta ask them about this pick after the game, I need this explained to me"

It's not that he's discontent, it's that he can't help but view it through his competitive lens. He's just less good about hiding it than say, Patrick Sullivan.

They're also pro players, not amateurs, which is a big deal. Commentary like this at the HGC open series wouldn't be cool and I doubt he'd go in on that if it was a group he had lower expectations of.
I wouldn't wager that dread still has a competitive lense, nor the drive.

I think it's less of a deal than you make it out to be, tigerjk who was mentioned before is a pro who will shortly have to contend with an amateur player for his spot. Dread will be commenting a match between the worst of HGC and the best of open division.

kirblar

I wouldn't wager that dread still has a competitive lense, nor the drive.

I think it's less of a deal than you make it out to be, tigerjk who was mentioned before is a pro who will shortly have to contend with an amateur player for his spot. Dread will be commenting a match between the worst of HGC and the best of open division.
He has it. You can't really turn it off, it's just who you are.

that's bull, I can buy a drive being something you're born with / grew into but a lense has to be sharpened. Dread's at this point is dull, he's an outsider looking in.

edit: Alright this QM comp judt now was pure garbage by the matchmaker.

Varian, Sonya, Tracer, Zuljin, Morales vs. Murky, Tracey, Li Ming, Uther, Tyrande

Final tally 28-4. They bullied us in our base.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my current feelings right now

not-like-this.gif

mv5a_f-maxage-0.gif

tenor.gif

Nova is so fucking fun I'm so sorry :(

Top Bottom