• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

He's human: Tom Cruise injured while filming Mission: Impossible 6 stunt jump

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If It's not serious, in his condition and medical care were talking a few weeks recovery.

The guy might be a weirdo in his personal life, but when it comes to his career, he's a badass.

He's a 55 year old guy who is 5'7'' and every movie he picks is about how he's the most ridiculous badass who ever lived. At some point, maybe he should badass up and play a person.

Seijuro

Weird scientology shit aside, I love Tom Cruise as an actor, starring in some of the best action movies of the last few years (MI 4 and 5) and a few of my favorite films of all time (Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow).

Hope he recovers and gets well soon. Should consider some stunt doubles though, age will eventually catch up to him.

oddj0b

Banned
He still technically made the jump, and made the climb more raw than probably what they were going for imho

Why not. Lima Neeson does it, lol.

His last "serious" role was Valkyrie nine years ago. I don't think he's interested in those anymore.

"lima neeson" heh. took me a sec.

Anyway, Jackie Chan is also still going strong at 63, so whatevs.

Can celebrities get cartilage injected back into their body? Or does one have to achieve the Seventh Dynamic for that to happen automatically?

you're getting too old for this shit, Tom.

I have a suspicion that they are priming Henry Cavill to become the next main star of the franchise. I could see this one (or maybe a seventh movie) be a sort of passing of the torch. Mission: Impossible (especially MI3 and onward) has become too big a franchise for Paramount to just drop if Tom Cruise can't continue them. I mean, imagine if they stopped making James Bond movies when Sean Connery dropped out. Granted, that was the same character, but with different actors. I think if they were to do a seamless transfer of star power, now would be the time to start.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Can't stand the guy mostly, but respect the hell out of him for his stunt work and his talent. Hope it doesn't discourage from more of it in the future.

Ashhong

I have a suspicion that they are priming Henry Cavill to become the next main star of the franchise. I could see this one (or maybe a seventh movie) be a sort of passing of the torch. Mission: Impossible (especially MI3 and onward) has become too big a franchise for Paramount to just drop if Tom Cruise can't continue them. I mean, imagine if they stopped making James Bond movies when Sean Connery dropped out. Granted, that was the same character, but with different actors. I think if they were to do a seamless transfer of star power, now would be the time to start.

Isn't that what they were trying to do with Jeremy Renner?

Randdalf

I thought Cavill was the villain in this film?

smoothj

They should try and use that shot where he got hurt. They could then promote that it's in the film and create some good buzz.

Firstly the way the article reads is so sensationalist, he doesn't "collapse".. he just stumbles and for a second and then limps off. Also there seems something wholly.. I dunno, ethically? Morally? Tacky about "WATCH TOM CRUISE INJURE HIMSELF!" and I'm a hypocrite because I watched it but part of me is disappointed in myself I did.

Keep up the good work Tom.

I sometimes wonder how Cruise's career is going to play out. He's 55. Is he going to try and continue to make leading man action movies into his 60s? Will he slow down and do more dramatic stuff?

I think of him in Collateral with the grey hair and what not; I assume he will age well. This fella will be leading man material well into his 70s imo, even with action stuff. He seems more resilient than Harrison Ford, and look at his current stuff. You can't stop a cruise missile like this one

ArjanN

They should try and use that shot where he got hurt. They could then promote that it's in the film and create some good buzz.

Would be smart marketing. Also it's a more interesting shot than him just making the jump effortlessly anyway.

faridmon

One of the reason why i respect Cruise. He does his ''acting'' most of the time his stuff. I cringe when actors can't even write a letter without having a double stunt performing it (See Sofia Boutella in Atomic Blonde, at least )

gogogow

Tom Cruise is an excellent actor. Hope he recovers soon. I actually really likes his older drama movies too. Like The Firm, Born on the Fourth of July, A Few Good Men etc. I guess he only wants to do action movies while he still can. When he can't do them anymore, he's most likely gonna be in drama movies again.

Tom Cruise is an excellent actor. Hope he recovers soon. I actually really likes his older drama movies too. Like The Firm, Born on the Fourth of July, A Few Good Men etc. I guess he only wants to do action movies while he still can. When he can't do them anymore, he's most likely gonna be in drama movies again.

Your forgetting my personal favorite, Rain Man ;)

What's funny is when I'm watching Stranger things which is set over 30 years ago and they reference Risky Business and Cruise. Nancy also has a poster of him in her bedroom.

IC5

Let's hope he doesn't try drama. He's so bad.
Edit: also, I hate his nipples.
He did drama and thrillers, for years. And was pretty good at it. Mission Impossible 2 is when he started going all-in on action.

Say what you may, Tom Cruise has done a lot of movies, covering a very wide range. His personal style is well known, now. But, early on, before we knew all of his tricks; his brand of manic/crazy was pretty amazing in something like Born On The 4th of July.

hydruxo

Didn't look too bad in the video from that angle, but you never know. Hopefully he'll be fine. Gotta respect the man for still doing so many of his own stunts at that age.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I kind of don't get it. I love watching Tom Cruise movies, but this sense that doing his own stunts or whatever is a really dashing and bold thing to do---that it's held in a positive light is strange to me. He risks the jobs and schedules of many people by potentially getting injured doing things like this.

It's not like he can do the stunts better than a stunt man, like a Steve McQueen on a motorcycle, for example.

Really, I've heard he's a super great and gregarious guy; but movie production is the time and effort of many different people. Especially for huge international studio productions.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
His last "serious" role was Valkyrie nine years ago. I don't think he's interested in those anymore.

Or today's audicences aren't t interested in seeing those kinds of movies in cinemas anymore. Today a story like Valkyrie would more likely become a TV show than a movie.

Shredderi

I kind of don't get it. I love watching Tom Cruise movies, but this sense that doing his own stunts or whatever is a really dashing and bold thing to do---that it's held in a positive light is strange to me. He risks the jobs and schedules of many people by potentially getting injured doing things like this.

Really, I've heard he's a super great and gregarious guy; but movie production is the time and effort of many different people. Especially for huge international studio productions.

That poor huge international studio.

Dude's 55. Maybe start letting professional stuntmen do it? Or in the words of Machete:

Pal8oRU.jpg

He was making way more interesting choices with his film roles up to like 05. Then he went full scientology and had to feed them more with that franchise money. Dudes boring now.

Still, the MI movies are a reliable good time. And that moustache on Cavill is looking pimp. Should be fun.

Owari

wait, so if you're famous can you just parkour everywhere and have wire dudes just follow you around to help you fly around?

also wouldn't that be that wire guys bad for not lifting thomas sooner?

Top Bottom