• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG - Closed Beta Thread

ultron87

5CBpIPT.png

The Alpha for Cryptozoic's Hex: Shards of Fate is scheduled to begin today (Oct 8)! They'll be doing a stream on their Twitch page at noon Pacific time that should officially kick off the Alpha with the first wave of invites going out soon after.

Note: Alpha is currently Windows only and is going to be released in waves based on Kickstarter amount donated (with slacker backers coming later). They have said they are going to get a Mac client working ASAP.

4Zn5slj.jpg

What's Hex: Shards of Fate?

It's a digital Trading Card Game with tournaments and booster packs and drafting! And it is also an MMO with dungeons and raid bosses and guilds! It is all things for all people! Or at least all people that like card games. Which they should, because card games are awesome. It is being made by Cryptozoic Entertainment, the makers of the World of Warcraft TCG (the one before Hearthstone) and other board games.

What this means is that you can spend your time entirely playing against the computer unlocking more cards for your PVE character and only ever playing with other players cooperatively and never have to worry about building some crazy tournament competitive deck or buying loads of booster packs. (I don't believe any of this stuff will be in the alpha which is scheduled to start today.)

Or you can totally ignore all the PVE shenanigans, buy a bunch of boosters packs (2 dollars each), and do booster drafts after booster draft playing against other players all along. Or just buy the cards you need and go build the constructed deck of your dreams to compete in tournaments for glory and prizes.

The most efficient way to find out about it would probably be to check out this How to Play video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfOfGvkdzlI

And yes, it is a lot like the seminal trading card game, Magic: The Gathering. But have you seen Magic Online? Eek. Hex is also offering a lot of unique mechanics taking advantage of the fact that it is a game that exists purely in the digital space.

How can I get in the Alpha?

Anyone that contributed to the Kickstarter campaign should get in pretty soon. They'll be starting with the people who put in the most money and then begin adding more folks in waves assuming the server remains stable.

If you weren't in the Kickstarter there's a Slacker Backer option available that gives you Alpha access as well as a little haul of goods for when the the game comes out for real for 50 dollars: http://hextcg.com/donate

What's in the Alpha?

Kickstarter Update said:
Features in the Alpha
- Make an account
- Full play set (4) of PVP cards
- Full deck building interface
- Make and Save decks
- Play single matches with other Alpha gamers
- Chat!
- First look at the Entrath interactive globe
- Enjoy the (still in progress but greatly improved) interface elements!
- The game going up and down as we patch and fix all the problems we discover as part of the Alpha
- BUGS! This is Alpha; it will be riddled with bugs! That’s just the way an Alpha is, its part of the alpha process!
- Seriously... BUGS!!!

What do the cards look like?

Check em all out here: http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/

W3dFa3i.jpg
kPyq7jf.jpg
RUJvkyD.jpg

aitWMwg.jpg
ZPqFi2L.jpg
mtKX6W9.jpg

Links and Resources

- hextcg.com - Official game site including official forums for news and updates.
- http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/ - Site to browse all currently revealed cards and build sample decks.

I haven't been keeping the most up with the community so if there's any other links or resources I should add please let me know. A strategy website or two would probably be a good idea but I just don't know which ones are good.

ultron87

Beta is mostly likely coming next year, right? I really should have funded at a higher tier.

I think that is the plan. But anyone that backed at any tier will get Alpha access at some point. That was one of the stretch goals.

Can't wait for the invites to roll in, personally as a big magic fan that is disappointed with MTGO this is going to be my TCG of choice. I'm playing Hearthstone atm but I'm craving the crazy interactions Magic offers.

Voror

Nice to see this starting soon. Still trying to come up with a keep name though.

Now are we getting all the cards from our tier with the alpha or will that not happen till the final version?

"Now are we getting all the cards from our tier with the alpha or will that not happen till the final version?"

IIRC, for alpha everything is unlocked and you get 4 of each card. I'd imagine rewards and things like that won't happen until some time in the beta when the game starts to roll over into launch.

IllumiNate

Totally hyped! So glad I found the KS while it was still on, thanks to Gaf.
From today forward we can expect tons of info and videos even if we don't get into Alpha day 1.

ultron87

As a dirty blue mage I really like the design of this card:

aitWMwg.jpg

All the ways they are taking advantage of digital are great. This card can't really exist in a paper game (without horrible memory issues).

Nice to see this starting soon. Still trying to come up with a keep name though.

Now are we getting all the cards from our tier with the alpha or will that not happen till the final version?

In Alpha everyone gets a playset of every PvP card. So for a bit there we'll all get to play with everything our heart desires. Presumably they'll wipe that at some point and then we'll get our KS loot.

Is OSX (Mac) still launching with PC and doing alpha/beta?

If we can find the engineering resources, we're going to do a Mac alpha client. Currently the client is for PC.

Just saw that on their forum; disappointing. Thought the Mac client would be built in conjunction with the Windows client, since I thought they were using a cross-platform development SDK (Unity?).

Hopefully client runs smooth enough for me under Parallels until they get the Mac one =[.

Proven

Any clue when they'll have PvE in?
Not until Beta, unfortunately.

Is OSX (Mac) still launching with PC and doing alpha/beta?

If we can find the engineering resources, we're going to do a Mac alpha client. Currently the client is for PC.

Just saw that on their forum; disappointing. Thought the Mac client would be built in conjunction with the Windows client, since I thought they were using a cross-platform development SDK (Unity?).

Hopefully client runs smooth enough for me under Parallels until they get the Mac one =[.
If I had to guess, it was being built in parallel or close to parallel, and they hit some critical bug in one or both versions of the game. Since they promised Alpha in September (and ended up missing that milestone anyway) they rushed out the PC client and will be going back to get the Mac client to catch up as soon as possible.

This is mostly conjecture from a vague SomethingAwful post though.

Luigi87

Really looking forward to the alpha (though more so the beta). PPTier here, so hopefully by next week or so, depending how this initial wave goes.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I feel like there'll be so many moments where I'll go "omg what, there's a card that does this?!?", simply because it was impossible in a physical medium. Stoked.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Awesome OP, Ultron!

"Now are we getting all the cards from our tier with the alpha or will that not happen till the final version?"

IIRC, for alpha everything is unlocked and you get 4 of each card. I'd imagine rewards and things like that won't happen until some time in the beta when the game starts to roll over into launch.

To add to this: as alpha goes on, more and more PVP features will be implemented. So, eventually, we'll get unlimited drafting, tournaments, etc. during the alpha period.

Has there been any information on how they will handle wipes?

Wipes will stop as soon as backers get their rewards sometime during the beta. Apart from that, we know really nothing else about wipes (frequency, number, etc.).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
niiice, cant wait. Hopefully there wont be any alpha registration issues with the paypal backers.

Shrennin

An hour left for the reveal stream, if everything goes according to schedule, no?

As far as I know, we haven't heard of a delay [yet] so hopefully everything is on schedule. Hopefully.

On their official twitch page, they are kicking off the alpha with a stream - the very first official Hex game with one of the fans (already chosen and it's someone who contributed a lot to the community).

Shrennin

Dungeon Crawler tier here.

Now waiting for that alpha mail. Second batch probably
LLShC.gif

I'm Grand King and I haven't gotten an email yet. We probably won't hear or get the emails until the stream or right after it's finished.

Shrennin

Thanks! King Tier, here!
Let's get it on!

You'll probably be in the third wave. It seems most logical to have the $250 tiers next in wave 2, then the Kings in wave 3, etc.

That's still just conjecture at this point though. Won't really know till wave 2 is announced.

ultron87

And they actually have tried to fix some of the things people consider "broke" about Magic. The resource system and charge system do a little bit to try and mitigate mana screw and flood. Though they will still happen.

Easily the best thing is that it will be a digital product that isn't shackled to the physical cost of cards or Wizards of the Coast's inept software development team.

Super excited. I stood in line numerous times in order to play this over and over at GenCon, and it was great. Of course you had to use premade decks, but even then I could see combo interactions with cards from various ones. It's really, really hard to understand just how much they leverage the digital format until you are playing and do something that just wouldn't be possible in MtG. I'm kind of bummed I didn't chuck another $250 at it to go to Grand King, to be honest.

Raytow

Game looks rough as expected, but I'm liking what they are showing so far, makes Magic 2014 look archaic in comparison.

Luigi87

Ooh, very much looking forward to seeing the Victory/Loss animation develop. Already so much nicer than the previous iterations simple image, lol

Top Bottom