• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, has your Xbox Live account been hacked/FIFA'd? Post here!

StayDead

My XBL Account got hacked at the end of last year, had to cancel my card.

They bought 10000 points and never got a chance to spend them all. I asked Microsoft to get rid of them and refund me, they refunded me my money and said I could keep the points for free :>

Onionkid

Wow, my account just got hacked too. Got kicked off from Netflix just now and saw someone playing Fifa 12 and spent all my points I had (luckily only 720). Haven't had any charges added from my card on the account yet, guess I need to wait and see what happens from that since MS has my account locked for now. If they haven't charged that credit card, do I still need to go ahead and get it cancelled? How much info do they even have from it, or can they only have used it on my Xbox account?

EDIT: Forgot to mention some of the stuff asked in the OP. Yes I have an EA account but the passwords are different. Gamertag is 3-4 years old. And no 4-button security. Also I didn't think to check what the password on my security question was, went ahead and changed it before I thought to look.

This is blowing my mind that a company like EA can let this happen through their security (at least I'm assuming). I guess I need to read through all these posts in this thread and do some searching, figure out exactly what precautions I need to take.

Zoe

This is blowing my mind that a company like EA can let this happen through their security (at least I'm assuming). I guess I need to read through all these posts in this thread and do some searching, figure out exactly what precautions I need to take.

There's no evidence that there's an issue with EA's security. FIFA is being used because the in-game items can be flipped for real money.

Onionkid

There's no evidence that there's an issue with EA's security. FIFA is being used because the in-game items can be flipped for real money.

Ah, I see. I had just seen that mentioned numerous times but haven't looked too deep into it yet. Thanks for the clarification.

This is horseshit.

So my account was compromised in October. Mind you, I haven't owned an Xbox since around 2008. I have played a few Windows Games since then, so I've used the account from time to time.

Anyway, the account region got switched to Russian, I got two big charges on my CC for somewhere like $150 in points cards.

My bank refunded the money straight away, and I never heard back from MS after my initial call to them. I was told to wait 25 days or something.

Fast forward to yesterday, I buy a new 360. I get it up and running, and sure enough, the Dashboard is primarily in Russian. My region and language on the 360 is set to US/English, but it doesn't change the Russian text (or apparently, availability of some apps/games).

I have no access to any of my prior Arcade purchases. It's jank, like it knows I bought them but after they download I only have acces to the demo versions.

After calling MS, the lady has me on the phone for 45 minutes as she fumbles around my account to no avail. Notifies me they never sent the recovery email after the 25 days as originally promised. Now I have to wait 3 days to hear back from their fraud department.

I see a lot of people posting around the web over the last 6 months about similiar situations, and a lot of them complaining that even after hearing back from the fraud dept that they never got their arcade purchases back, and in some cases, lost their Live sub.

I forgot how much MS sucks with this stuff. Hopefully this all works out. Quite the "welcome back" to the Xbox world.

That definitely blows.

Since dd is supposed to be the future, shit like this will get more and more prevalent.

Exactly. I mean, what would the scam be here on my end that is holding this up? I've proven I'm "me" to the best of my ability: with a SS#, address, correct secret question answer, etc.

So given that proof of account ownership, and given the account history (initially set to US/English) while under my control, what could possibly be the risk in assigning the account to the proper initial account region?

I just don't understand the process at all, including the potential of losing all my rightfully purchased games.

EDIT: Is there anyone here from MS that could help me with this through PM?

DustinC

Ugh, woke up this morning to two email notifications about points purchases, one for 6000 that went through and one for 4000 that was declined.

Tried to log in to xbox.com and sure enough my password didn't work, went to change password and there was an email address attached that I didn't recognize. When I logged into my console (set for auto log-in) it told me that I had logged into my gamertag from another console previously.

Called bank, got the $74.99 charge reversed, and called MS to start fraud claim. I was told it would take two business days, which doesn't seem too bad at least.

Odd thing is, MS told me they would suspend my acct till then, but I've been able to log-in to Xbox Live just fine, and also was able to change password and remove extra email address through xbox.com, so I'm not sure that I get what they actually suspended here.

Also, there's no purchase history on my acct for this month, nothing about the 6000 points, or anything that they would have been used for, is that normal?

Rumble19

I had my account accessed last night. Strange enough, microsoft seemed to be right on top of it. Someone bought about $150 worth of something with my paypal, but microsoft has refunded it. My account password was changed, and the account email as well. I haven't figured out yet if they used my credit card too. There is nothing under recent purchases as well, and my account seems to work fine.

Curufinwe

Sad that this is still going on. Removing all credit card and Paypal details, and keeping a MS Point balance of zero in between purchases seems like the best defense.

malfcn

Is there a way to tell what consoles you have been on?

Under Profile Protection all I can see is this:

Consoles that do not require your password for sign in

These consoles may allow unauthorized access to your Xbox LIVE profile
Visited Consoles Last Visited
Most Recent Console 4/25/2012
Previous Console 2/18/2012

I have 2 consoles, so that doesn't bother me.

Consoles that require your password for sign in
Visited Consoles Last Visited
Most Recent Console 1/12/2012
Previous Console 7/9/2010
Previous Console 2/5/2010

I had 2 other consoles from back in the day. But the 2012 one doesn't sound right. Some serials or IDs would be nice. I guess since they would require passwords it should be okay?

Dynamic3

Got three notifications of purchases this afternoon. The guy keeps logging in to my Windows Live account and changing my password etc. It's happened about three times in the past few hours. He even modified all the contact info on the account (address etc.) and even changed the icon to Call of Duty one.

I'm about to fly to Brazil and fuck his day up.

Raxus

I can join this thread...yay...

Lost over 100 bucks thanks to hackers. At least my account will only be down for 3 days instead of 25 days.

TL2

Neo Member
I'm in too was hacked about a week ago and Microsoft told me 25 days and I haven't recieved an update yet, they spent about 1700 points that I was saving for trials but at least they didn't charge anything on my now cancelled card

CTE

Removing all credit card and Paypal details, and keeping a MS Point balance of zero in between purchases seems like the best defense.

That's what I do. Give them nothing and you are safe. Sucks that we can't have comfort in keeping a balance of points in case we want to buy something out of the blue. I always spend all my points as I add them.

Got a 2800 points card yesterday and today I bought Trials:Evo, Missing Link DLC, and Walking Dead Ep.1 all within 5 minutes. Pre loaded the two arcade games by getting the "trials". I then added the points and bought the arcade games and then bought Missing Link DLC since it was 2 GB and I'm not able to get it before buying like arcade games. So I had a balance for literally mere minutes and they dwindled in those minutes as well.

I guess beta testers for MS arent Immune to this, less than 2 weeks after playing Battlefield 3 and "Linking" my XBL and EA logins this happens to me.

my Xbox Live Account is Hijacked via FIFA12 for FIFA12 Cards, and all my MS Points spent,

my account is locked for investigation and all that crap.

difference is, with my account being flagged for being a XBL beta tester, as soon as the tech looked up my account i was forwarded to a english speaking tech support guy who was able to understand what i was telling him without having to use dummy terms.

ZuneMarketplace wouldnt connect all week for me,
no weird emails were added to my XBL Account,
The password wasnt even changed
they didnt try to buy anymore MS Points.......
I did not get any emails or messages about "Marketplace Purchases" like i normally do.

So I made sure no emails or phone numbers were added, changed the password, called MS to start the case number.

These Show up on my Billing for MS Passport, but not on the History when I check through the console.
4/22/2012 PREMIUM GOLD JUMBO -- Game Consumable -240 30
4/22/2012 PREMIUM GOLD JUMBO -- Game Consumable -240 270
4/22/2012 PREMIUM GOLD JUMBO -- Game Consumable -240 510
4/22/2012 PREMIUM GOLD JUMBO -- Game Consumable -240 750

And 3 Achievements for FIFA12, that I dont even own.

that fact that i've been avoiding EA Games/EA Origin and not having to deal with that crap, up until 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden it happens now means the leak is on EA's Servers.

Fuck this! I had redeemed a 4200 ms point card just a couple of days ago and today when I sign on everything is spent and it says FIFA 12 is the last played game.

I managed to reset the password, but is there anything else I should do before calling MS tomorrow? (support closed for the day here in Sweden)

CTE

difference is, with my account being flagged for being a XBL beta tester, as soon as the tech looked up my account i was forwarded to a english speaking tech support guy who was able to understand what i was telling him without having to use dummy terms.

Not cool you special treatment for being a beta tester. I'm not mad myself, I just realize how lame it is to treat other customers better just because they are associated with the company somehow. Discounts and such are one thing, but customer service related to being hacked should be equal on all levels.

Not cool you special treatment for being a beta tester. I'm not mad myself, I just realize how lame it is to treat other customers better just because they are associated with the company somehow. Discounts and such are one thing, but customer service related to being hacked should be equal on all levels.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a beta tester to get preferential treatment if their accounts have access to things on the network that a normal account wouldn't, might be information that needs to be protected. (I don't know if this is the case or not.)

CTE

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a beta tester to get preferential treatment if their accounts have access to things on the network that a normal account wouldn't, might be information that needs to be protected. (I don't know if this is the case or not.)

I would hope that those would be the reasons rather than just "Oh, you're one of us? We'll figure this out ASAP, sir".

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It's a YouTube video with someone waffling nonsense in an awful radio voice with 'funny' on-screen captions.

As if we haven't seen thousands of those before.

Ardenyal

I watched half of that video and I have literally no idea what he was talking about.

I don't even know what all those screens mean or what they were. Can you sum up what is actually going on?

The guy was hacked and the hacker is leaving messages to him by renaming his squads in Ultimate Team (Fifa 12). Basically it confirms that the hackers can target people quite easily and hacking someone takes just minutes.

It's a YouTube video with someone waffling nonsense in an awful radio voice with 'funny' on-screen captions.

As if we haven't seen thousands of those before.

It's a sarcastic post on Gaf, who would have thought..

So a 'hacker' is claiming there's an exploit in Fifa 12 from which he can hack XBL accounts? I'm shocked.

Anyway, video seems suspect, not buying it.

Curufinwe

That's what I do. Give them nothing and you are safe. Sucks that we can't have comfort in keeping a balance of points in case we want to buy something out of the blue. I always spend all my points as I add them.

Got a 2800 points card yesterday and today I bought Trials:Evo, Missing Link DLC, and Walking Dead Ep.1 all within 5 minutes. Pre loaded the two arcade games by getting the "trials". I then added the points and bought the arcade games and then bought Missing Link DLC since it was 2 GB and I'm not able to get it before buying like arcade games. So I had a balance for literally mere minutes and they dwindled in those minutes as well.

Smart work.

Yesterday I saw Best Buy had 3-packs of 800 point cards for $29.99 which is not any kind of discount, but it does give you more flexibility in adding MS points to your account. I think I'll get a pack, and then the next time I want to buy a 1200 point game I can redeem one 800 point card and cash in some Bing Rewards credits to get the other 400 points, then buy the game immediately.

Meanwhile I have $15 of credit just sitting in my PSN account.

So let me get this straight.

If you have a Xbl account you are vunerable, no matter the age of the account.

The hackers reset your email via a forigen language

They then buy points with your credit details, spending on FIFA 12 items.

The hack may or may not be related to if you have a EA account with the same email.

So. Is there anything you can do to further secure yourself? I don't have a EA account, my gamer tag is relatively new, I have only bought live gold once on it and that has been via a 3 month card and on this tag I have never added any ms points.

I will be purchasing some old dlc soon so is best practise load the points and spend straight away?

Was hacked last week. Because I am paranoid post Sony I had only 1600 pre-paid points in my account (no CC).

They bought Trials and some shitty BMW game. I found out I was hacked when I went to buy trials and saw it was already purchased. >.<

Was refunded an extra 300 points and got to keep trials. All in all good experience.

Yagharek

Best tip would be to use a unique password for your xbl account.
Use prepaid points cards only (never ever give MS your credit card number - sending $100 notes in the post would be safer)
Buy points only when you need them. Enter the codes only when youre going to use them.
Preferably, use the points when a sale is on so you can minimise the number of left-over points on your account.

I work on the assumption that MS have a bad system that will get hacked some day. So I just make sure I have as little to lose as possible.

Best tip would be to use a unique password for your xbl account.
Use prepaid points cards only (never ever give MS your credit card number - sending $100 notes in the post would be safer)
Buy points only when you need them. Enter the codes only when youre going to use them.
Preferably, use the points when a sale is on so you can minimise the number of left-over points on your account.

I work on the assumption that MS have a bad system that will get hacked some day. So I just make sure I have as little to lose as possible.

Thanks. I've changed both the password and email address associated with the account, with the actual name registed on the windows live account being a fake one.

Will only buy stuff with points cards and spend them soon as I load them.

bubnbob

Banned
Was hacked last week. Because I am paranoid post Sony I had only 1600 pre-paid points in my account (no CC).

They bought Trials and some shitty BMW game. I found out I was hacked when I went to buy trials and saw it was already purchased. >.<

Was refunded an extra 300 points and got to keep trials. All in all good experience.

At least they bought a decent game.

All I got was Bejeweled 3, Fruit Ninja, Haunted House, Tower Bloxx and a couple avatar items. Bleh

One thing's for sure... MS have some golden status PR. Any other company would at least have the whole internet against after all these months... yet nothing, nada.

Yagharek

No worries. :)

Have you added your credit card number to your console at all? If not, keep it that way.

Going by what you said above, youre probably going to be fine barring incredibly bad luck (ie someone hacking your account just as you add points to it?).

Just use prepaid xbox live gold cards if/when you renew your subscription.

edit: also, if youre buying old disc DLC, check to see if there is a "Game Of The Year" edition of the game in question (eg Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, Batman Arkham Asylum). Some of them have the content on the disc and others come with a code for that extra content, cutting out the need for using points in many cases.

No worries. :)

Have you added your credit card number to your console at all? If not, keep it that way.

Going by what you said above, youre probably going to be fine barring incredibly bad luck (ie someone hacking your account just as you add points to it?).

Just use prepaid xbox live gold cards if/when you renew your subscription.

edit: also, if youre buying old disc DLC, check to see if there is a "Game Of The Year" edition of the game in question (eg Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3, Batman Arkham Asylum). Some of them have the content on the disc and others come with a code for that extra content, cutting out the need for using points in many cases.

Never done it on Xbl, and regret doing it on psn ( was never ripped off but the simple principle)

Points cards all the way.

most of the dlc I want are for games that werent a critical success so no GOTY edition.

epmode

So. Is there anything you can do to further secure yourself?
I changed my account recovery options to include 10 separate email addresses. That way, you cannot add another without clicking a link from one of those 10 accounts. I think this prevents the attack but I'm not positive.

mernst23

I got hacked this past weekend. FIFA12 and all. My credit card on file is expired so they didn't charge anything but they took >4000 Space Bucks. I plan to call MS today, are they replacing points from this?

They tried to buy MS points with the expired card and that failed.

I got hacked this past weekend. FIFA12 and all. My credit card on file is expired so they didn't charge anything but they took >4000 Space Bucks. I plan to call MS today, are they replacing points from this?

They tried to buy MS points with the expired card and that failed.

Yes. You also keep any content that the hackers bought using those points, which can be a nice bonus, unless it's fifa gold shite.

mernst23

Yes. You also keep any content that the hackers bought using those points, which can be a nice bonus, unless it's fifa gold shite.

Looks like they bought fifa garbage. The last EA game I bought that I think I used an online login for was Madden 06. Christ.

TheContact

My account was hacked about 4-5 months ago. I hadn't played in a while, and trying to sign in one day, I noticed it wouldn't let me. I did a search for my user name and it said I was in Mexico and all my points were missing. It took a couple days for the Microsoft Xbox customer support to fix it, and they were able to get everything back to the way it was before I was hacked. Luckily, I learned my lesson a few years ago to never put in CC information to Xbox Live, so I had just been using point cards so my CC information wasn't compromised.

I'm so salty that other people got amazing XBLA games out of their UA incident. Especially the people who only had to wait 3 or so days to get their accounts back to normal.

Anyway, I've been so relieved that my account has been free from UA for the past 5-6 months. It felt good to just get back to the games and Live service. But don't delay on that better account security, MS.

Still waiting for my account to be switched back from Russia, and to be able to download my purchased arcade games.

It's been 7 months now.

Had to create a new account.

Got a call from MS last week at least. Said they are still working on it. Awesome.

Aaaannnnnd, my account was switched back to the US today. LOL

7 months.

Got an email (in Russian) saying the account was switched back to the US.

Happy days. Apparently I got a few free games out of it for the PC.

7 months? Christ, I hope you demanded some form of compensation.

Yep, 7 months.

All I got was that account region automated email. Nothing from MS reps. Just quietly fixed it.

AFAIK, there isn't anyone I can speak with that handles these things. It's just some nebulous department in the shadows that fixes it on their own time.

The free games are, I believe, what the hackers bought when the took over the account. There is two games listed that have no links and with titles like Unknown Game, that were probably games only available in Russia.

Nothing as a "I'm sorry" from MS.

Top Bottom