• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, has your Xbox Live account been hacked/FIFA'd? Post here!

Dan Yo

Banned
My XBL Account got hacked at the end of last year, had to cancel my card.

They bought 10000 points and never got a chance to spend them all. I asked Microsoft to get rid of them and refund me, they refunded me my money and said I could keep the points for free :>
What, really? Has this happened for anyone else? When i got my account back all the points they bought were still there but the moment I bought something all of the points went to 0 within a few hours. I assumed MS had taken them away.

What, really? Has this happened for anyone else? When i got my account back all the points they bought were still there but the moment I bought something all of the points went to 0 within a few hours. I assumed MS had taken them away.

Points? No.

Games? Yes. I got Crysis 2 PC, BF:BC2 PC, and Dawn of War 2 PC out of the mess.

Someone bought about 7.5k points and bought a bunch of games with it and there was about 910 points left. MS didn't refund me but my bank did. I had about 900 points leftover and I used them how I pleased.

Dan Yo

Banned
Someone bought about 7.5k points and bought a bunch of games with it and there was about 910 points left. MS didn't refund me but my bank did. I had about 900 points leftover and I used them how I pleased.
Well that sucks for me. They totally wiped out all of the points on my account. At least I think they did. Would've been a nice thank you for sticking around while my account was hijacked for over a month.

Goon Boon

Banned
I got hacked apparently back in March, but I noticed on may 1st. I told them about it, they locked me out a few days, and asked for all xbox's I own's info (they said any xbox besides my own would be banned from xbox live), then I got my points back. Here's a list of the games they purchased :
Ninja Mask Avatar Item 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
NinjaBee Yellow Pants Avatar Item 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
Frogger Arcade Game 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
Plants vs. Zombies Arcade Game 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
Deleted Scene - Speeder Lane Game Addon 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG™ 4 Episode I Arcade Game 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
Sealife Safari Arcade Game 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
Raskulls Reinforcements 1 Game Addon 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
Raskulls Reinforcements 2 Game Addon 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
Peggle™ Nights Content Pack Game Addon 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
Autumn Tale Game Addon 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
It Came From Outer Space Game Addon 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
Lara Croft: GoL Arcade Game 3/6/2012 Add to Queue
Rotastic Arcade Game 3/6/2012

I mean, none of them really look too good for me to buy, but if Microsoft lets people keep the content from their account getting compromised I'm sure I'll try some of it out. On the downside, I really want to play Skullgirls online, but I don't trust Xbox Live enough anymore to give them my CC info for $2 for 2 months, so I guess I'll have to wait for a sale on that :/

I got hacked apparently back in March, but I noticed on may 1st. I told them about it, they locked me out a few days, and asked for all xbox's I own's info (they said any xbox besides my own would be banned from xbox live), then I got my points back. Here's a list of the games they purchased :

I mean, none of them really look too good for me to buy, but if Microsoft lets people keep the content from their account getting compromised I'm sure I'll try some of it out. On the downside, I really want to play Skullgirls online, but I don't trust Xbox Live enough anymore to give them my CC info for $2 for 2 months, so I guess I'll have to wait for a sale on that :/

do you have Paypal? You can use PP to pay for gold subs through XBL. Or, as someone recommended not so long ago, get a prepaid credit card and use that.

I'm giving serious thought to doing just that as there are quite a few games I want for my WP7 but MS, rather stupidly, don't let you buy them using MSP.

Goon Boon

Banned
do you have Paypal? You can use PP to pay for gold subs through XBL. Or, as someone recommended not so long ago, get a prepaid credit card and use that.

I'm giving serious thought to doing just that as there are quite a few games I want for my WP7 but MS, rather stupidly, don't let you buy them using MSP.

Paypal I try to steer away from, but I tried using a prepaid visa I use for less than secure stuff got an error that apparently has to do with prepaid cards. Even tried adding it on the webpage first then using it on the xbox, but no dice.

Paypal I try to steer away from, but I tried using a prepaid visa I use for less than secure stuff got an error that apparently has to do with prepaid cards. Even tried adding it on the webpage first then using it on the xbox, but no dice.

Really? Goddamn it, MS.

mernst23

Got a resolution today, got a code for my 4200 spent points. Wish they didn't buy stupid shit that I could've got some free games out of this but oh well.

NHale

Shit. My secondary account was hacked yesterday. I logged on my primary account today and saw that my secondary account was online 1 day ago which was impossible.

Then I saw the achievements history and it has 5 FIFA 12 online achievements obtained yesterday.... The only game I played previously with that account was Gears 2, Orange Box, Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero: WT.

The strange thing is that my account is associated with a gmail account that has a 5 digit and 12 letter password (all random...) and it has 2-step authentication so how did they hacked my account?!?!?

EDIT: 3 premium jumbo packs bought. There goes 720 MSP.

Zoe

So according to what she found, all you need is the gamer tag to social engineer an account.

So according to what she found, all you need is the gamer tag to social engineer an account.

Yeah, though it seems to be a bit of a hit-or-miss depending on the customer service rep. I'm freaking out about this, it sounds way too easy to pull off.

Very interesting article. Half of me wants that to be true so I can point a finger at MS, but the other half of me is afraid of it being true since it's just so fucked up.

malfcn

Had a weird run in with a new security feature?

Went to log in and it said it didn't recognize my computer. Told me to fetch a code from my LiVE ID email.

And with that, Microsoft has just admitted they had flaws in their security.
Inch by inch, the Berlin Wall of PR denial comes closer to being torn down.

Wat? O_O

They admitted nothing. You're reading far too much into comments and interpreting them wrongly.

Nothing there is them directly or indirectly admitting to anything.

And that other link, Jesus. people will really believe anything. O_O

Well, I come to join the club of people who have been FIFAd. Someone accessed my account to purchase points that they then used to purchase FIFA ultimate team packs. Xbox support that I chatted with was very helpfull, and they went some extra steps to help, especially given that xbox is not supported in the country that I live in right now. As it is, I am waiting for someone to call me, and they say that the issue should be resolved in 1-2 days. What I am really annoyed about is the person who hacked my account also spent all of the microsoft points that I had been saving up, and I had a nice little nest egg from the xbox rewards program.

EDIT: wow, if jackers can seriously get all of the information just from social engineering like they state in those articles, then microsoft does have a serious problem to look at, even if all information was supposedly incorrect or out of date.

Clunker

My sole account got FIFA'd while I was away on vacation - I logged in after two weeks away from home and got the "your account was last logged in on another console" pop-up. :/ After some digging on Xbox.com through my account history, I found about 1000 points spent on FIFA packs and 3 new achievements on FIFA, a game that I don't even own. Luckily, I was paranoid enough to remove my CC info when the PSN hack happened, and I've used prepaid cards for my Live sub for years.

I contacted MS support on the phone, told them the whole story (and that I was familiar with FIFA account hacks), and they were surprisingly responsive. My account was never taken offline, but they did force another account redownload even though I'd already done that, and they issued me a code for 1000 points, all within 24 hours.

I have no concept of how secure my account is now (admittedly, I did have a really simple password on it), but hey, Internet tough guy, you just bought me 35 free Gamerscore points! :p It also justifies my refusal to tie my CC to any of my consoles.

This is still happening? I guess it wouldn't stop until the new security is implemented. Where's that two-step, Microsoft? It's been quite a while since the announcement that it would be rolling out within the next couple of months. Well, it's been a couple of months; over four.

Nelo Ice

Banned
This is still happening? I guess it wouldn't stop until the new security is implemented. Where's that two-step, Microsoft? It's been quite a while since the announcement that it would be rolling out within the next couple of months. Well, it's been a couple of months; over four.

The funny thing is they have the most bizarre form of 2 step ever if you want to check your points spent. To get onto microsoft billing they send a verification code...to your secondary email listed used to reset your pw if you forget the one for your live id.

Had a weird run in with a new security feature?

Went to log in and it said it didn't recognize my computer. Told me to fetch a code from my LiVE ID email.
I got this today when I tried adding points from my iPhone. Funnily enough, they didn't do the 2 step check when I actually bought stuff off the marketplace earlier on the same device, which seems random to me.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
My live just ran out, and I noticed in the CC field it's sending the email to the jackass that had my account last year, and apparently theres no way to remove his email from the CC list without calling them.

=| this is why MS sucks.

edit: I should mention that this is an email i created for the sole purpose of logging into my xbox live account, and have posted it no where online and is unrelated to my gamertag. Now the guy who had my account last year and for all I know all he needs is my email address, has it again.

fuck it, take my gamertag I don't even give a fuck anymore, I'm done giving them my money.

A guest post by Xbox LIVE General Manager Alex Garden on security improvements at Xbox, and how you can help protect your account.
  • We’ve taken legal action to pull down online posts of gamertags, usernames and passwords gathered from malware or phishing schemes to help protect our members.
  • Our Xbox LIVE Spring update included many behind the scenes improvements that help us build on security enhancements for the near future.
  • We’re sending unique codes to the security phone numbers and secondary email addresses provided by members to verify authorization for Xbox.com purchases or account change attempts not stemming from a member’s trusted device.
  • We’re working to reduce market incentives for criminal activity. Engaging in identity theft, trading in stolen accounts and committing credit card fraud are illegal and violate our Terms of Use. Those involved in these activities risk criminal prosecution, account and console bans. That goes for both sellers and buyers of known stolen accounts and content.

Add and update the security info for your Microsoft account

Alright, I appreciate the progress.

Jeff-DSA

Seems like someone is trying to get into my account. I've had two emails today sending me a verification code that I didn't request. I just logged in and changed my password.

Eideka

Banned
Strange, on my GFWL client I have items I did not purchase at all ! And when I connect to the Xbox Site I don't see them. They are not on my list of items purchased.

It only appears on the "download" section of the GFWL client.

We did it, bro. We did it.

Yes, this is significant progress! Things finally came full circle for me; the incident is just about as good as over. I've lurked GAF for many years, nearly half my life, without ever getting too involved. It took this UA nonsense to get me to post somewhat regularly. It was a really frustrating experience, but I'm glad that I had GAF to help me with it. Thanks, everyone.

Keep on making the account security better, MS!

Top Bottom