• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey PC players! Just use a bloody controller!

BossLackey

Gold Member
I've seen this a lot over the years and it annoys me way more than it should lmao.

Fellow PC players lamenting the poor KBM controls of a PC port for a game that was very clearly intended to be played with, and originally developed for, controller/pad.

It's a small subset, but it's always there at every launch. I play a lot of 3rd Person Action RPGs and characteractionesque games. Without fail, there are several people on Reddit or Steam or wherever that bitch about it.

Everyone has their preferences, but to me, playing these types of games on a KBM is like eating a steak with a screwdriver. Yes, you can technically do it, but why the fuck would you?

It's the same reason I play FPS with KBM. It's simply the superior option!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

IAmRei

I always using controller in almost all pc games i have. Even fps/shooter games. I dont know why, but im more comfortable with controller. Maybe because my first time in video games is using controller, in console. Well, unless some specific games, for example torchlight, titan quest, or rts games.

There are few games that really nailed KBM for me, dragon dogma, and old 2d ys series, surprisingly good.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I get you, I think the same and even play most shooters with a controller but man, everyone has preferences. Still my buddy that plays soulslikes with M&K lost my respect but that's beyond anything I could do.

Crayon

Mouse fucks up my rsi so I only use controller. In games where you have a tendency to mash it rapidly tap, I use a fight stick to baby that is sure. I map shoulder button dash moves onto the face buttons. There's ways around it on controller but not really on mouse.

welshrat

I've seen this a lot over the years and it annoys me way more than it should lmao.

Fellow PC players lamenting the poor KBM controls of a PC port for a game that was very clearly intended to be played with, and originally developed for, controller/pad.

It's a small subset, but it's always there at every launch. I play a lot of 3rd Person Action RPGs and characteractionesque games. Without fail, there are several people on Reddit or Steam or wherever that bitch about it.

Everyone has their preferences, but to me, playing these types of games on a KBM is like eating a steak with a screwdriver. Yes, you can technically do it, but why the fuck would you?

giphy.gif
Yes exactly. I am a console and pc player so have no issues, but my son was trying to play elden ring with kb/m eventually he switched to controller and said, why on earth had he been trying to struggle when it's so much better now.

Last edited:

bArTl3bY

I go back and forth between the two. Never could aim as well in FPS games with a controller despite my efforts, but there are always exceptions.

I just finished playing through Fallout: New Vegas again and tried both. Even with mods I couldn’t get mouse aiming dialed in just right so I used a controller…which also didn’t feel just right. Haha.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I've played a very small handful of games that played better with a gamepad. Honestly, I hated the gamepad controls for Yakuza. Keyboard warrior all the way. The exceptions for me are games without freelook (think Resident Evil), or games where they actually fucked up the kb/m controls (The Force Unleashed, Akiba's Trip).

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
That’s what I do. Been rocking my Turtle Beach Recon for a couple of years. Perfect for me since I don’t mess with competitive games.

UnrealEck

Only if people stop implying that every game that's on console first or the same time as it is on PC - is a port.

Garibaldi

I do. Got an elite 2 and a dualsense. Don't use it with anything that needs precision aiming though as I can't aim for shit with controllers

Slightly related. I can't get the haptics or vibration to work with the dualsense for love nor money. Got the sound device enabled and set up in the sound control panel. Got it plugged in using usb. Latest firmware. It just doesn't work

Last edited:

StueyDuck

giphy.gif
depends on the game.

i recently started hopping on to Breakpoint on PC with a friend and that is a tactical precision shooter and i really want to use the precision aiming that a mouse can bring. But god damn is the PC KBM controls a mess in that game.

things just feel so unnatural, i spent a whole night/playsession just remapping almost everything and even then it still feels kind of shit, doing finger twister just to change your grenade type.

T4keD0wN

Ive tried using a controller for monster hunter world, got my ass kicked in low level quests despite having maxed out Fatalis gear.
Then ive tried it in forza horizon on the easiest difficulty a game that is supposedly perfect fit for controllers, finished in last place when i usually get 1st one on the hardest when using keyboard.

No thanks, i am not spending 50 hours watching tutorials on how to hold a controller and how those buttons are called, its way too complicated and difficult when i could just lay my hands on the keyboard without putting extra strain on them by holding something.

I dont go around telling console users to stop using controllers and to use keyboard, dont be that guy.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Ive tried using a controller for monster hunter world, got my ass kicked in low level quests despite having maxed out Fatalis gear.
Then ive tried it in forza horizon on the easiest difficulty a game that is supposedly perfect fit for controllers, finished in last place when i usually get 1st one on the hardest when using keyboard.

No thanks, i am not spending 50 hours watching tutorials on how to hold a controller and how those buttons are called, its way too complicated and difficult when i could just lay my hands on the keyboard without putting extra strain on them by holding something.

I fucking love MH. Though I understand this one. If you weren't playing them earlier, World has a ton of sub menus that I can see being tricky.

Barakov

Gold Member
I always see this complaint. There's some games just play better with a controller. Just like there's some that play better with with kb&m.

For some people it's the end of the world if there's bad implementation or no support for kb/m for games. It seems like 90% of steam reviews complain about this.

Wildebeest

Don't care. It doesn't play better with a controller for me because I very rarely use a controller, and they annoy me.

Senua

I always see this complaint. There's some games just play better with a controller. Just like there's some that play better with with kb&m.

For some people it's the end of the world if there's bad implementation or no support for kb/m for games. It seems like 90% of steam reviews complain about this.
Well for many PC players it's all they have, and you would expect the default device of the platform to be supported at least half decently. Not being able to set keybinds etc in modern PC games is just so fucking dumb.

Kabelly

If you're going to port your game to a platform it better work with the main control scheme. I use a controller because of gyro aim but keyboard and mouse shouldn't be an issue either. Someone shouldn't have to go out and buy a gamepad for one game.

Hudo

giphy.gif
How in the flying fuck would I play Tiberian Sun with a controller?

Sentenza

Currently owning:
1 dual sense
2 Dualshock 4
1 Xbox controller
1 Steam Controller.

I still prefer to play SOME types of games with mouse and keyboard, given a good implementation of it, but I kinda agree that there's a subset of PC users that border into mental retardation when it comes to this specific topic.
No, I'm not going to subtract points from Dark Souls or Sekiro because the mouse is a less than ideal option, ok? I couldn't give less of a shit because that's not what I'm going to use, anyway.

El Muerto

I will always use controllers. Started with a Logitech wingman precision (still have it) when i first got into pc gaming. I primarily use a dual sense for my htpc with steam link where i game 90% of the time. Linux has a built in driver for the controller where you can use the touchpad as a mouse which comes in handy for a htpc.

SHA

I prefer kbm whenever I feel like wide Putin and wanna stretch my body, it doesn't feel wrong to me, kbm is authentic, controllers for convenience, I can't imagine a world where I could only live with either one of these, this is stupid, if your kbm sucks then that's a whole different topic, I suggest to change yours with a better set, I prefer loud clicky keys, this is right for me, mechanical keyboards with light clicks are garbage, not a trend, cause it defeats the whole purpose of having a mechanical keyboard.

Top Bottom