• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey PC players! Just use a bloody controller!

WitchHunter

Banned
I've seen this a lot over the years and it annoys me way more than it should lmao.

Fellow PC players lamenting the poor KBM controls of a PC port for a game that was very clearly intended to be played with, and originally developed for, controller/pad.

It's a small subset, but it's always there at every launch. I play a lot of 3rd Person Action RPGs and characteractionesque games. Without fail, there are several people on Reddit or Steam or wherever that bitch about it.

Everyone has their preferences, but to me, playing these types of games on a KBM is like eating a steak with a screwdriver. Yes, you can technically do it, but why the fuck would you?

It's the same reason I play FPS with KBM. It's simply the superior option!

giphy.gif
Yes.

Last edited:
Always use a controller. Knowing how well controller support was implemented on PC made the switch easy. I don't like keyboard a d mouse.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
ARPGs - Controller (Diablo, Path of Exile, etc.)
Controller that have auto aim for every single attack and insanely slower inventory management, sure. -_-'

So I can play relaxed on the couch
I can play relaxed on a couch and, even much better, on a mattress with mouse+kb.

there are people playing racers with a keyboard! This blows my mind personally.
Does it blows your mind that people play Super Mario Kart on SNES with dpad too? It's the same thing. Generally, arcade racing games have no disadvantage in playing with kb.

Last edited:

Mopey bloke

For some people it's the end of the world if there's bad implementation or no support for kb/m for games. It seems like 90% of steam reviews complain about this.
Bad implementation, we can adapt, but no implementation? I'm still flabbergasted by The Alliance Alive launching without keyboard support. Had to Alt + F4 out of that game. Releasing a game on PC without keyboard support is very inconsiderate.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Controller that have auto aim for every single attack and insanely slower inventory management, sure. -_-'

I can play relaxed on a couch and, even much better, on a mattress with mouse+kb.

Does it blows your mind that people play Super Mario Kart on SNES with dpad too? It's the same thing. Generally, arcade racing games have no disadvantage in playing with kb.
yea true but click to walk is the bane of my existence.

NeoSkyte

Neo Member
Well yeah that's how I usually play games too. Some games work great with KB+M and others work well with a controller.

John Bilbo

In the 90s it was common to use mouse and keyboard for pretty much everything other than flight simulators. For the flight simulators we had joysticks.

I remember PCs having different ports for a keyboard, a mouse and a joystick. USB-ports were added way later.

TrebleShot

In 2024 if you are using a keyboard and mouse over something like the dualsense with gyro haptics and analogue input you really are a nerd with no self respect.

Imagine hunched over a desk or at an angle with your little claw fingers and long nails clacking away as you spin your mouse hand to 360 no scope. Could never be me, Ill take comfort and immersion any day over a precise tool designed around excel and coding.

Say it quietly but Gyro is better than mouse anyway. :messenger_beaming:

Guilty_AI

In 2024 if you are using a keyboard and mouse over something like the dualsense with gyro haptics and analogue input you really are a nerd with no self respect.

Imagine hunched over a desk or at an angle with your little claw fingers and long nails clacking away as you spin your mouse hand to 360 no scope. Could never be me, Ill take comfort and immersion any day over a precise tool designed around excel and coding.

Gyro? Ew. Whats next, play with touch-screens?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

You are funny.
Enjoy claw grip, L3/R3/drift and aim assist(s).
I play with mouse+kb on a mattress. Pinnacle of comfort.
Gyro is so much better than mouse that CS and Quake champions switched to it. /s

I’m talking about competitive fps gaming here. Controller is very hard for gamers that played mostly kbm. Heck controller is hard for controller players. There is a very large skill gap.

Personally for me I switched over to kbm 6-7 years ago. Before that I was a controller player for 20+ years. This year in COD controller has a big advantage so I tried switching back. I’m slowly getting me feel back but it’s tough, and I was a good fps controller player (halo, cod, bf, etc) during my controller days. So I can imagine how tough it would be for people that were never good with controller to begin with.

tvdaXD

It's simple, if you port something over, it's literally your job to make it work. So if it doesn't, you just delivered a bad job and should be called out for it.
Sure there are games that were made for controllers first, but for each there are another similar 100 games like it that work just fine with a mouse and keyboard. Even better, some console games also just support keyboard and mouse without even being ported to PC.
Then there's accessibility, obviously the more ways to play the better.

KBM is superior for almost everything, bar games like rocket league and fifa. If people lower themselves to peasantry beyond those games, that's up to them.

Except for comfort. Nothing like being hunched over for long play sessions. Otherwise i say use whatever the heck you enjoy.

JimboJones

I used controller 99% of the time but I can understand why this shit annoys people.
It should just be a standard to have a serviceable mouse and keyboard layout.

It's like when console games can't be bothered to make a proper menu and make you use the right stick as some slow mouse looks at hogwarts legacy 😑

Dorago

9mLwWQY.jpg

I got this two weeks ago to replace my POS Dual Shock 4.

It's way better than I thought it would be for $40.

Nevadatan

hey, as long you dont pretend im gonna play a FPS with a controller, im quite fine using one of my controllers on PC

Top Bottom